It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hedon is now available DRM-free. Get it 25% off until November 6th, 2pm UTC.

Update: Those of you who already own Hedon on Steam, can now redeem DRM-free copy via GOG Connect</span>. Offer is valid until November 12th, 2pm UTC.

Hedon is an experimental mix of classic and modern action game design running on the GZDoom Engine and bearing bits of inspiration from titles such as Hexen, Unreal or Arx Fatalis.
low rated
Zan_HedonDev: If I had paid for reviews you would've heard of Hedon a long time ago. Back when retro-style shooters were still cool I suppose :^)
When they were still cool, they didn't have that "Retro" label, they were just the latest, new, shiny, must have shooters.
The best the technology of the day could manage.

Maybe it's me, but I expect games that aspire to emulate the best of those early PC days, to use the best today's technology can manage, not pretend I'm still playing on that same, now 25 years old, PC.

What gets me is that Banner art, in no way reflects the games content, is that "Retro marketing".
Making the cover Art, look far better than the in game stuff, and nothing like the actual game.
Release: Hedon
high rated
Nyktouros: GOG, you fell very ill. Please, try to stop releasing home-made shitgames. Yes, I do know that AAA titles despise you. But there are tons of much better and not-so-AAA games around, old and new. You will end badly if you continue in the same vein in 2020.
Whatever n00b! I'm sure they don't need advice from you. FYI: I bought the game and like it--so does everyone else. Look at Steam reviews... Very Positive (270 reviews). Maybe it's you who fell very ill.
high rated
UhuruNUru: What gets me is that Banner art, in no way reflects the games content, is that "Retro marketing".
Making the cover Art, look far better than the in game stuff, and nothing like the actual game.
It's clearly following a pattern established by predecessors.

Same with the likes of Dusk, Amid Evil, Ion Fury, Nightmare Reaper, etc.
Attachments:
mood.jpg (103 Kb)
low rated
UhuruNUru: What gets me is that Banner art, in no way reflects the games content, is that "Retro marketing".
TheMonkofDestiny: It's clearly following a pattern established by predecessors.

Hey with capitalism do what you want with your money, however Dusk, Amid Evil and Iron Fury actually do their own thing, stand on their own feet and establish their own feel with the appeal of the retro feel. This is just a paid Doom 2 mod with deviant art tier garbage and cobwebs along with the nostalgia cashing in. Most of the annoyance is because this establishes a precedent for the RPG maker tier games on Gog.
high rated
David9855: Hey with capitalism do what you want with your money... and some more words.
That's cool that you wanted to chime in with more roasting of Hedon in a discussion concerning the choice of cover/box/splash art being a disconnect from what one might expect in the actual game.

I don't know why I needed to be quoted for it, but that's cool too.
high rated
TheMonkofDestiny: It's clearly following a pattern established by predecessors.

David9855: Hey with capitalism do what you want with your money, however Dusk, Amid Evil and Iron Fury actually do their own thing, stand on their own feet and establish their own feel with the appeal of the retro feel. This is just a paid Doom 2 mod with deviant art tier garbage and cobwebs along with the nostalgia cashing in. Most of the annoyance is because this establishes a precedent for the RPG maker tier games on Gog.
lol
high rated
UhuruNUru: When they were still cool, they didn't have that "Retro" label, they were just the latest, new, shiny, must have shooters.The best the technology of the day could manage. Maybe it's me, but I expect games that aspire to emulate the best of those early PC days, to use the best today's technology can manage, not pretend I'm still playing on that same, now 25 years old, PC.
To many people part of the gameplay is in the engine, ie, simply throwing Minecraft textures into Unity Engine doesn't come close to replicating the actual "feel" of 90s games. And ray-traced Crysis 4 graphics in Unreal 4 both doesn't fit the intended art style and instantly puts it well out of budget for small Indie teams, whilst larger AAA's studios who could fund that have already shown they care little about anything single-player that isn't stuffed full of MT's or beyond recycling their own 'low risk' over-sequelled IP over and over. Hedon is the FPS equivalent of how people complain that Wadjet Eye Games "are doing it wrong for using that pixel style and that old Adventure Game Studio engine" in new 2018 point & click adventures and yet Unavowed ends up with "Overwhelmingly Positive" ratings - the devs simply know their target audience and openly admit up front their strength is core gameplay not graphics.

David9855: This is just a paid Doom 2 mod
So too is Final Doom (TNT / Plutonia WADs were made by amateur modders TeamTNT and Casali Brothers), not to mention Heretic, Hexen & Strife are "paid Total Conversions" by some metrics. I've played a number of other high quality Doom, Thief, NWN, etc, amateur mods over the years that play every bit as well in their older engines as some low-budget "new old" games done "properly" in Unity.
Post edited November 01, 2019 by AB2012
high rated
So much hate for this game, the gog community really does not know what it wants. One half only wants old games, now the gog zoomers are screaming for their triple a, great graphica turds.

Hedon is actually great and way better than it looks. Plus it started as a mod and doom graphics are always nice. The first level is the worst part of the game though. Good mix between doom and hexen.

If I had known that gog accepted your game, I would have waited to buy it here. I am a poor man for the next few weeks.

Also, gog, when will we finally get chasm: the rift?
high rated
AB2012: [...] - the devs simply know their target audience and openly admit up front their strength is core gameplay not graphics.
[...]
I agree with everything you said except this. I find Wadjet Eye Games' games beautiful, and Hedon's graphics appeal to me.

This is a subjective matter and I hate when people talk about their tastes like they are facts. People, what is true to you is not THE truth. Hedon does not fit your tastes? Do not bash it like it is factually shit. It is quite pointless.
high rated
-Nachtmahr-: So much hate for this game, the gog community really does not know what it wants. One half only wants old games, now the gog zoomers are screaming for their triple a, great graphica turds.
Meh, Hedon gets ten times more love than it gets hate anyway, which is normal for any game really.

The problem is that people don't know about it, so they assume it's just some crappy shovelware at a first glance. God knows we've had plenty of these with the new wave of "retro" styled games. But again, Hedon isn't exactly part of the aftershock, as it's development started around the same time as Dusk and Project Warlock, it just didn't win the publicity roulette (which may have been because the game is self published and I am not interested in relinquishing my IP to any known publisher).

Also, being primarily inspired by Arx Fatalis/Ultima Underworld/Thief, the pacing and core design of it is not streamer/game journalist/zoomer friendly, and it really is focused at a niche of gamers rather than the broad public, which again, is perfectly fine.
Post edited November 01, 2019 by Zan_HedonDev
Zan_HedonDev: Also, being primarily inspired by Arx Fatalis/Ultima Underworld/Thief, the pacing and core design of it is not streamer/game journalist/zoomer friendly, and it really is focused at a niche of gamers rather than the broad public, which again, is perfectly fine.
I think you did a good job there. With the music by Alex Brandon the game has a nice Unreal vibe. I currently play the free version and I like it so far although there are also some rough edges.
high rated
I am honestly glad that Hedon is available on GoG.
I like GoG more like than Steam because I don't have to log in online launcher to play all kind of video games.
The newly released 1.5 version is in GoG too?
Post edited November 01, 2019 by csikocska89
csikocska89: .
The newly released 1.5 version is in GoG too?
Yes, the version is 1.5.0.
high rated
Zan_HedonDev: Ah, drat, looks like we have a bug.

Open console and type
con_scaletext 3
I forgot to mention: instead of typing this in the console every time you start the game you can also just create a "autoexec.cfg" file with the "con_scaletext x" inside the game folder. That way the text will always be scaled the way you want it. Best solution imo until there is a real fix for it through a future patch.
-Nachtmahr-: So much hate for this game, the gog community really does not know what it wants. One half only wants old games, now the gog zoomers are screaming for their triple a, great graphica turds.
Of course the GOG community wants different things, that's because we are all individuals, not a hive mind, and that's OK.
I don't mind old games, because they are old games, and own plenty of them.

The mane reason I buy games on GOG, is because I get an offline installer, and never need to use any crappy store client.
Damn right, I want every good game to come to GOG, including all the good new single player ones, great graphics turds included.

Multiplayer AAA turds likely need Galaxy, and I won't ever choose to use it, So I don't care about their "Live Service" turds.
if a multiplayer game, has no built in net code, it's not a playable game, in my opinion. Good job, I'm a single player gamer then.

It's the new games that think Retro is cool, I take issue with, maybe because I was around back when Pong was the new shiny.
What put me off "retro", was when I bought the first 16-bit Amiga, and games stayed 8-bit because that was what most people had.
That soured me on "Retro" games, long before Doom was new, and they even had a good justification for doing it back then.

What brought me here though was the misleading banner Art for the game, I made an earlier post about.
Another trend these Retro styled games have in common, that I despise.
If the banner had shown it was "Retro Doom ", I would never have made that first comment, or read yours today.