It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Best experienced with your mouse.

<span class="bold">Ghost of a Tale</span>, a gritty fantasy adventure about a little mouse facing big trouble, now in development, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% launch discount.

They say that history is written by the victors but sometimes the biggest truths are hidden behind a Ghost of a Tale. In this medieval world of animals, where the Mice have been marginalized by the vindictive Rats, Tilo's search for his beloved will accidentally throw him in harm's way. The little mouse minstrel is not much of a fighter, but cunning, guile, and nimbleness are forces to be reckoned with and Tilo wields them as expertly as he does his trusty lute.
Developers SeithCG are equally small in numbers and the community's input is helping them shape this endearing action/RPG into something truly special. The core stealth, exploration, and conversation mechanics are pretty much in place, but the flow of the story and exploration is still being tampered with by the team.
You can keep track of their progress through their official blog at ghostofatale.com.

Play your lute through the spooky halls of Dwindling Heights Keep as you struggle to escape your own <span class="bold">Ghost of a Tale</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 10% launch discount will last until August 1, 4:59 PM UTC.

Note: This game is currently in development. See the <span class="bold">FAQ</span> to learn more about games in development, and check out the forums to find more information and to stay in touch with the community.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9rfuK3u7_oc
Post edited July 26, 2016 by maladr0Id
Ricky_Bobby: It would seem the game is targeted at the big mainstream, people who play everything with a controller and have big expensive rigs.
So, gamepad = mainstream & super high-end PCs.

... wut?

Come to the GOG forum, learn something new every day!
This looks very interesting. Will buy soon.
ussnorway: Looks nice but there is very little info about the game itself... how much game (HOURS) are in it now?
More than 8h. Can't progress right now but played far more than 8h
Isn´t this the game from Kickstarter with the mouse in?
Ricky_Bobby: It would seem the game is targeted at the big mainstream, people who play everything with a controller and have big expensive rigs.
CharlesGrey: So, gamepad = mainstream & super high-end PCs.

... wut?

Well ... there seems to have been some misprint on GOG's page regarding the requirements, .... so I'll quietly backtrack on one of my assumptions ... it still looks to be a very demanding game though in terms of hardware.

I still think 'gamepad' is synonymous with mainstream gaming, vs mouse and keyboard. This does not mean people outside of the mainstream won't use gamepads of-course, but it is a key characteristic of the mainstream as far as I am concerned.

I think the developer is planning a console release as well (nothing wrong about that), considering he built the game around gamepad use. That has been the pattern when Indie devs make games tailored for a gamepad; their first target is the mainstream audience (since anyone can use a gamepad, supposedly), their next step ... following mainstream success on PC ... has been a console release. All of which favours a gamepad-focused game.
high rated
CharlesGrey: So, gamepad = mainstream & super high-end PCs.

... wut?

Ricky_Bobby: Well ... there seems to have been some misprint on GOG's page regarding the requirements, .... so I'll quietly backtrack on one of my assumptions ... it still looks to be a very demanding game though in terms of hardware.

I still think 'gamepad' is synonymous with mainstream gaming, vs mouse and keyboard. This does not mean people outside of the mainstream won't use gamepads of-course, but it is a key characteristic of the mainstream as far as I am concerned.

I think the developer is planning a console release as well (nothing wrong about that), considering he built the game around gamepad use. That has been the pattern when Indie devs make games tailored for a gamepad; their first target is the mainstream audience (since anyone can use a gamepad, supposedly), their next step ... following mainstream success on PC ... has been a console release. All of which favours a gamepad-focused game.
I'm not sure I see where you're even going with this little rant, but you make it sound like GOG is only for video game hipsters. "I won't use this input device -- it's too mainstream for me."

I'm just really tired of this eternal gamepad VS mouse & KB argument. This may sound shocking, but there are people who are perfectly fine with either input device, because they realize either option has advantages and works better for certain game genres. And those people even have perfectly "normal", non high-end PCs. Oh dear!
Ricky_Bobby: Well ... there seems to have been some misprint on GOG's page regarding the requirements, .... so I'll quietly backtrack on one of my assumptions ... it still looks to be a very demanding game though in terms of hardware.

CharlesGrey: I'm not sure I see where you're even going with this little rant, but you make it sound like GOG is only for video game hipsters. "I won't use this input device -- it's too mainstream for me."

I'm just really tired of this eternal gamepad VS mouse & KB argument. This may sound shocking, but there are people who are perfectly fine with either input device, because they realize either option has advantages and works better for certain game genres. And those people even have perfectly "normal", non high-end PCs. Oh dear!
if i could upvote this more then once i would
there is nothing wrong with gamepads and they work better for say
racing games
beat em ups
general action games
and platformers
high rated
ussnorway: Looks nice but there is very little info about the game itself... how much game (HOURS) are in it now?
There's about 5-8h (depends on whether you go hunt for the optional stuff or not) of content in there right now, progress is currently gated after a certain spot. I backed the game on IndieGoGo and given the small size of the team I half-expected the game to start wrapping up at the point where the early access is gated, so I'm pretty happy there's more game yet to come.

For anyone considering buying it, the current pros and cons:
CON:
- not all of the game is there yet
- the game will sometimes lock up when loading
- minor bugs that require polishing (cracks in terrain alignment, iffy collision in tight quarters, sometimes the enemy AI bugs out, that sort of thing)
- many mechanics are left for you to figure out on your own (you can't assume that, just because the game hasn't mentioned it, that you can't do it. Check your inventory, play around)

Potential con- if you absolutely can't stand stealth games this might not be for you. The stealth penalty is fairly light, as you merely need to sprint away, lose line of sight and hide in a cupboard/bucket/etc to get away, but you are expected to avoid patrols and so on. You don't just "not need to kill anyone", you can't, at most you can knock guards out for a short time or distract them. Tilo is no fighter.

PRO:
- occasional bugs aside, it actually plays really well. Given that they were all done by the same person, character models, animations and movement are great and scampering around as Tilo is a joy
- great atmosphere and entertaining writing for the NPCs. I rather fell in love with the world they've crafted
- what's already there is a decent chunk. I finished the currently playable portion and felt satisfied with the amount of gametime I got out of it, I look forward to coming back when it's finished and replaying it proper
- if you enjoy exploration you'll get a kick out of this one. It's not an open world game by any stretch of the imagination, but there's a lot to discover that's not (yet) required to find and a lot of the things that -are- required can be gotten early if you went exploring and looked at every nook and cranny
- do you like dressing up? You can collect costume pieces throughout the game which both have individual stats and set bonuses (that are currently primarily quest-focused) and they're -adorable-
- repeat from Con, as it depends on your perspective- the game doesn't currently hold your hand with many of its mechanics. There are a lot of things (and even optional quests that do not appear to offer a reward aside from having discovered and done it) you can do that are never mentioned. Small example, when wearing the cap with candle on it you can burn banners when stood under them, which unlocks a quest for that activity
- this is cliche to say, but the team has been very responsive on their issues forums and fixing bugs left and right as they're reported

I would never recommend someone buy an unfinished game if they don't have cash to spare, however if you like the look of the game, have the cash for it and want to support further development of this title, sure, go for it! You will get a decent chunk of game and, more importantly, by the end of it you won't feel burned out on the game. I am eager to replay said chunk when the game is fully released and experience it in full.
Post edited July 26, 2016 by Unciaa
I don't pre-order or do beta's, but I've bought this as belated kickstarter support. It's clearly a passion project of the maker and I'm happy to see more games like that succeed in their ambitions. Quality so far is way beyond what I'd expect from a game like this that had a tiny budget with an equally tiny team. Very charming.

Tarhiel: Isn´t this the game from Kickstarter with the mouse in?
He did an indiegogo campaign a couple of years ago and brought in something like ~50.000, if I recall correctly. It's also a one-man project for the most part being done by a professional animator.
Is this game related to the MouseGuard RPG setting?
svmariscal: Is this game related to the MouseGuard RPG setting?
No, I don't think it's based on an existing setting.
Bought. To support the dev so they can finish the product. It looks cute and interesting! :)
played the game only briefly but so far it seems to run fine on an has well i5 with 12 gig of ram and a geforce gt 730
played the game in 1280x780
locked at 30fps
and turned motion blur off
Tarhiel: Isn´t this the game from Kickstarter with the mouse in?
Fortuk: He did an indiegogo campaign a couple of years ago and brought in something like ~50.000, if I recall correctly. It's also a one-man project for the most part being done by a professional animator.
it shows
some times this game feels like a playable version of the nightmare before christmas
Post edited July 26, 2016 by snowkatt
JudasIscariot: Fixed. It was a slight caching issue :)
robertgg:
Not sure what you're getting at but OK.
JudasIscariot: Not sure what you're getting at but OK.
robertgg has the habit of posting the same message in each In Development thread, and it does usually get down repped and reported as spam until it's automatically deleted. Seems like he now started to post it as an image as well, no idea if that will keep his message alive or not.