It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DodoGeo: Well they did have Trine at 80% off the same time GOG released it and now Spacechem is 66% off while in the GOG coming next queue.
SimonG: The only persons that don't have these games yet, will be those who want to avoid DRM at all costs. And they won't go to Steam if they were free, so Steams gambit won't work as intented.
Well yes, but it is also hard to find people who don't have them DRM-free both being sold in The Humble Bundle.
EdgeZombie: http://impulsedriven.com/dragonage2 - £7-ish.

Anyone know if it requires Origin?
SimonG: Origin in optional, you do need Bioware social something account and I think be online on startup to verify the DLCs.

I would recommend Origin as a backup and download source, as their server is slightly closer to the UK.
Do you know this for a fact? The ingame dlc dl'er required an EA account not a Bioware account.

EDIT.. I 'think'. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but make allowances for a faulty memory.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by Tormentfan
Tormentfan: Do you know this for a fact? The ingame dlc dl'er required an EA account not a Bioware account.

EDIT.. I 'think'. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly, but make allowances for a faulty memory.
EA and Bioware accounts are the same thing now.
Tormentfan: Do you know this for a fact? The ingame dlc dl'er required an EA account not a Bioware account.

Avogadro6: EA and Bioware accounts are the same thing now.
Not as far as Origin accounts go, but other than that yes, I was aware of that, but they weren't when it came out.
SimonG: The only persons that don't have these games yet, will be those who want to avoid DRM at all costs. And they won't go to Steam if they were free, so Steams gambit won't work as intented.
DodoGeo: Well yes, but it is also hard to find people who don't have them DRM-free both being sold in The Humble Bundle.
Yeah but not everyone bought them when those bundles were out ;)
serpantino: So Steam daily is Space Chem @ 66% off.... I really don't think Steam thinks highly of GOG. Seems like they're purposefully trying to step on their toes lol.
Considering I have had several SPUF forum accounts immediately banned upon first mentioning GOG with each of them, as well as my Steam account itself banned for three months upon promoting GOG as an alternative to Steam (after which every last one of my screenshots up to that point, avatar, and summary were permanently deleted, leading me to lose interest in uploading screenshots and leaving my summary as "No information given" to avoid being antagonized in the future. It's the primary reason I've never joined the GOG group on Steam. My YouTube account was also unlinked, but I only linked it for a ticket in some promotion, so I've never bothered to relink it again), I would have to agree.

SPUF is very ban-friendly. To date, I have had well over one hundred accounts banned. I have a habit of being critical towards moderators, and as anybody who has spent any amount of time on the majority of gaming forums knows, the only people who ever become moderators are the very sorts who have no business wielding that kind of power.

As we speak, my most recent ban was a result of mocking somebody for falling for an incredibly obvious phishing scam. This guy clicked a link (and posted said link on the forum) that spelled "Steam" with two S's, and the page had terrible, terrible English. The moron apparently just gave all of his information away, anyway, because Steam regularly gives away games like that, right?

After receiving yet another infraction from Zefar (My first infraction on that account after nearly a year of use without opposition. Hell, my reputation was nearly as high as my post count, to boot), I replied with something to the effect of "Again? Really? Don't you ever get bored? ¬_¬" upon which he replied with "Again? Well looks to me you've been evading a ban and can't follow the rules. You're banned for ban evasion. Bye" like the condescending bastard he is. Currently, I've been trying to get the ban repealed. I've enclosed a picture of the dialog I've enjoyed with Support Tech Walter (Spoiler: He's a robot), and Zefar, the guy who decided to ban my account due to one infraction and a suspicion of ban evasion despite using that account since about August of last year, has been avoiding all of my attempts to contact him and is too much more important than me (aka he is a coward) to give me the time of day.

That's another thing I like about GOG. Sure, TheEnigmaticT is one of the few bluetexts who can be bothered to post here anymore, but he's probably the only forum moderator I've ever met who wasn't a completely unlikeable asshole who bans you if you say something directly to him that doesn't involve brown-nosing. Meanwhile, I have my suspicions it was BurtonJ who decided to ban my Steam account for a quarter of a year last year.

Sure, the forums are separate from Steam, but it certainly didn't seem to stop them from banning my actual account. Seeing how difficult it is to contact anybody willing to listen, they could easily perform a manual VAC ban (yes, that's very possible) once they'd grown fed up enough, and unless I was a YouTube celebrity, they could probably ignore my complaints forever. They let these jackasses (Valve members, volunteer moderators, and a handful developers with green names and unwarranted self-importance) play imperial cult on the forums, and if they find out who you are outside of the forums, they can easily do as they please with little consequence. That's reason enough to buy stuff anywhere else but Steam.

GOG's version of SpaceChem comes with 63 Corvi. You're not missing much without the Steam exclusive content. If you somehow don't already have it, Steam hardly needs anybody's patronage, whether you care about DRM or not. Oh, and the Steam version of SpaceChem has to be run through Steam, so yeah, there's DRM. It's already well-known to be a rental service, despite the constant quoting of "If Steam ever goes down, Valve said such and such about unlocking their games and letting us download them", but it's been pointed out often enough in the forums that right in the EULA they reserve the right to terminate you account if you sneeze too loud. Not to mention, if a number of people don't like you and decide to collectively report you, it's doubtful you'll get a fair investigation, much less somebody willing to actually listen to a damn thing you say.

As far as Steam goes, my best advice is never buy anything less than 75% off, only get something it it's Steam-exclusive, and just stay really quiet, don't make any waves, and maybe nobody "important" will notice you. Know your place, and you can be happy like everyone else. Sounds kinda like a dystopia, doesn't it?
Attachments:
Clearly someone insane enough to make 100 accounts on any forum at all is the person to take advice from. You might be a tad bit obsessed.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by Sinizine
low rated
Falci: Can someone please talk me into buying Blur and Capsized?

Good prices and metacritic marks, but I'm still not convinced, though certainly tempted.
Foxhack: Capsized has a demo. I tried it, it's like... Aquaria but with Metroid. I liked the demo, but I'm not sure if I'm buying it yet.
Thanks everybody for their answers. I decided not to buy it right now because I still have too much to play in terms of games, indie games and racing games. So, I'll hold up for now. The games seem fun, just not 'Stop everything and play it" fun. :)
Skunk: Snip
The steam forum mods are a bit power trippy, but I don't think they have a particular grudge against gog.
Skunk: Snip
maycett: The steam forum mods are a bit power trippy, but I don't think they have a particular grudge against gog.
There's a lot of 'fanboism' on there.The average age/level of maturity is......very low...
Sinizine: Clearly someone insane enough to make 100 accounts on any forum at all is the person to take advice from. You might be a tad bit obsessed.
...and taking advice from you would be more judicious because...?

It's not hard to make new accounts. It involves the same level of involvement required when making one's first account. I simply make a new account whenever one is banned, and I tend to get banned for "ban evasion" more often than I'd like. I'd be much happier if I only ever had to have made one account, believe me, but the moderators decided that that is a luxury I would be unable to enjoy.

Sinizine: I'm not offering advice beyond saying "Hey, that guy has made more than one hundred accounts on a forum he seems to loathe. Clearly he is not well adjusted, and therefore his advice might be a tiny bit odd." Which is a line of thinking I think a lot of people might share, but this is the internet, where crazy sometimes reigns supreme, so maybe the inmates have taken over the asylum.
No, I'm probably not well-adjusted. I'm a bitter, hateful, misanthropic person who regularly makes attempts at redeeming himself and not being an unlikeable loser, but is ultimately at his happiest when he's alone. My physical health is poor, and it's arguable whether the state of my mental health is better or worse. However, my point here is that SPUF doesn't have to be a shithole. Like pretty much every gaming forum, the loudest, stupidest, and often most "popular" members of the community, as well as the omnipotent and equally maladjusted moderators, do an excellent job of ensuring that it is.

I go on a forum looking for answers. If I can't find the answer, I'll look for it myself. If I find the answer, I'll put it there. If I see an argument, a falsehood, something I disagree with, or a moderator being a pompous jerk, I'll often make the fatal mistake of speaking my mind. Sometimes, I don't even know why. I try to contribute positively to any forum I'm a member of. I've never been a member of a forum longer than I've been a member of GOG. The number of bans I've accumulated on GameFAQs since 2001 absolutely dwarfs my SPUF bans. It's really a waste of time, yeah. I tend to go long spans of time without using any forums, and then I make up for lost time with a lot of bans.

Most of the time, I know why I get banned. I dislike people, I loathe stupid people, and I have previous bans. I've made plenty of enemies on GOG, which is why I don't post here very often anymore, and I'm amazed I haven't been banned. I'm deathly afraid of being banned.

Pheace: ]
Wow... and to think I've managed to go 4 years on one account, and I've posted many a deal on other websites like many people do on a daily basis and not so much as a warning.

You might wanna analyze what ever gets you banned because posting Gog deals certainly isn't it, unless you're excessively spamming it or something. And they don't ban accounts for stuff done on the forums, and there's countless people promoting stuff on their profile and they don't get banned. Heck, I've been in the Gog group for a long time and I'm still around. (in case that still worries you...)

Good lord. 100+ accounts.
I just said, I literally had only one infraction on this last account, worth 4/10 points. Talking back to Zefar (Which was hardly even an insult) resulted in an immediate ban for "ban evasion". Nearly all of my accounts were discovered to be related to me (often because I will stop caring and eventually reveal that I was another banned user, either on the forums or through PM), or because I talked back to a moderator, resulting in being terminated for "ban evasion".

I cannot recall what exactly I said for the 4/10 evasion (the post was deleted and I didn't save a record of it), but I said something along the lines of "Every time I've received a phishing message, I always think 'How do people fall for this? Is anybody really dumb enough to actually do this?', and then I see another guy like [the original poster] on the forums. Well, you got what you deserved, and hopefully you'll actually learn something from this".

One of my major bans, an account I held from 2009 until some time in 2011 (Prior to 2009, I had several accounts on the forums I primarily used to help a friend who had Steam. I was unable to run any version of the Steam client on my own computer until early 2009, and in late 2009, I finally made a serious forum account with the username I was using on Steam at the time), was banned upon, well, this thread says it all.

Speaking of threads, the Gaming deals thread is no place to continue this discussion. You can contact me via PM if you want to hear more of my story.
Post edited April 04, 2012 by Skunk
Skunk: Considering I have had several SPUF forum accounts immediately banned upon first mentioning GOG with each of them, as well as my Steam account itself banned for three months upon promoting GOG as an alternative to Steam (after which every last one of my screenshots up to that point, avatar, and summary were permanently deleted

SPUF is very ban-friendly. To date, I have had well over one hundred accounts banned.
Wow... and to think I've managed to go 4 years on one account, and I've posted many a deal on other websites like many people do on a daily basis and not so much as a warning.

You might wanna analyze what ever gets you banned because posting Gog deals certainly isn't it, unless you're excessively spamming it or something. And they don't ban accounts for stuff done on the forums, and there's countless people promoting stuff on their profile and they don't get banned. Heck, I've been in the Gog group for a long time and I'm still around. (in case that still worries you...)

Good lord. 100+ accounts.
nijuu: There's a lot of 'fanboism' on there.The average age/level of maturity is......very low...
That's true xD But the distributor they really have a beef with is origin, not gog.
Sinizine: Clearly someone insane enough to make 100 accounts on any forum at all is the person to take advice from. You might be a tad bit obsessed.
Skunk: ...and taking advice from you would be more judicious because...?

It's not hard to make new accounts. It involves the same level of involvement required when making one's first account. I simply make a new account whenever one is banned, and I tend to get banned for "ban evasion" more often than I'd like. I'd be much happier if I only ever had to have made one account, believe me, but the moderators decided that that is a luxury I would be unable to enjoy.
I'm not offering advice beyond saying "Hey, that guy has made more than one hundred accounts on a forum he seems to loathe. Clearly he is not well adjusted, and therefore his advice might be a tiny bit odd." Which is a line of thinking I think a lot of people might share, but this is the internet, where crazy sometimes reigns supreme, so maybe the inmates have taken over the asylum.
Skunk: snip
While I do not doubt that what you said was correct, it makes me wonder - why do you bother? I've always been scared of Steam forums because of the crap that you mentioned said so I never post there (I believe I made an account for one topic re troubleshooting).

Loosely quoting a saying:
"If it looks like shit and smells like shit, do you need to taste it to be able to tell it's shit?"

Anyway, this is one of the reasons for why I have no issue with buying games from Steam. Thus far, that is. If I however did get banned for some arbitrary reason, I'd probably never buy another game again. I'd just pirate. Except for GOG, of course.