It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

darthspudius: Did it ever occur to you that maybe they hadn't even touched the Multiplayer feature knowing it woudn't work?!
NoxTM: I guess you and I have a different definition of what testing involves.
Why screw with something that doesn't work... and unless it's screwing up someones hard ware it isn't that big of a deal to be honest.
NoxTM: I guess you and I have a different definition of what testing involves.
darthspudius: Why screw with something that doesn't work... and unless it's screwing up someones hard ware it isn't that big of a deal to be honest.
So we agree this is a big deal? Securom is malware after all.

Shit like this really shows that GOG has been going downhill. I wont be buying FEAR from here, and will be wary of any other games that previously had DRM, not knowing if GOG actually removed the DRM fully or not.
I can see there are some questions about why I clicked the Multiplayer button in FEAR. For one thing, the FEAR game card said that FEAR has working Multiplayer for LAN. I wanted to see if there was some kind of bot match in FEAR's multiplayer mode. However, I was not warned that FEARMP.exe would install remnants of SecuROM in the Registry and AppData folders.

With help from this thread, I was able to get rid of the DRM remnants. But I was also hoping that GOG would have released a new version of FEAR with the FEARMP.exe file either deleted or disabled. I wanted to make sure other gamers wouldn't have to deal with this SecuROM remnant problem. Unfortunately, since GOG still hasn't updated FEAR yet, the only way to fix this problem is just to delete the FEARMP.exe file.

It also saddens me that this multiplayer oversight on GOG's part is causing some people to be hesitant to buy FEAR. FEAR in itself is an excellent game; it's one of my favorite FPS games. It's just unfortunate that GOG forgot to check the multiplayer to delete the rest of the DRM. But I will repeat that FEAR singleplayer is fine and does not have SecuROM.
Post edited April 19, 2015 by IronArcturus
iBump
mobutu: iBump
Check here.

Or a repost, if you prefer to read here:

As we've previously said, the files are a remnant of old DRM that is no longer active.

They serve no actual purpose, but their removal in a way that would keep all of the game's functionalities intact and stable would be a lot of work. Our tech team is currently swamped with other tasks (i.e. launching a ton of games, the GOG Galaxy project, preparations for the The Witcher 3 release, an much, MUCH more we can't reveal yet).

Since this is *not* DRM (as it does not in any way lock the game), but instead a simple inefficiency in how drive space is used, it's not a top-priority issue at the moment - however, it is one we do plan to fix and there will be updates when we do have updates to share. :)
Well said. Now wait for the 'but it's called Securom!!!'
Well Firek did say:

"Unless any other game actually installs SecuROM (one that "works"), these files serve no purpose"

So what if the user does have other non-GOG SecuROM active games installed?
korell: Well Firek did say:

"Unless any other game actually installs SecuROM (one that "works"), these files serve no purpose"

Hmm, makes we wonder if the GOG delivered SecuROM files are "cracked" in some way. In that case other games using the same version might lose their valuable copy protection!! *The Horror!*

But seriously, it's an annoying problem since copy protection schemes like this tend to infect the whole system, bend IO handlers, etc - and are hard to get rid off.

I might not completely understand the whole issue, but does it really matter that the files might become active when you have other active SecuROM programs on your computer? In that case your system is (willingly) "infected" with SecuROM anyway. Which difference does it make?

Still think that GOG should fix the issue as soon as possible though.
Post edited April 21, 2015 by PaterAlf

Then that other game has installed SecuROM, irrespective of whether GOG's version of FEAR has put a few files on there or not?

I suspect the folks that are up in arms about this wouldn't have installed the other game with SecuROM in the first place...
I guess as long as other games using SecuRom still run fine and GOG eventually delivering a workaround, it's good.

Then SecuROM is already active and the whole matter is moot. Duh.
high rated
Ciris: Since this is *not* DRM (as it does not in any way lock the game), but instead a simple inefficiency in how drive space is used, it's not a top-priority issue at the moment - however, it is one we do plan to fix and there will be updates when we do have updates to share. :)
I'm glad you plan to excise it, at which point I will be comfortable installing it. But excusing its presence simply because it is not DRM is specious. Malware isn't DRM either, but that doesn't mean I want it. Or should I expect the GOG Browser Toolbar with my next install? ~_~
mobutu: iBump
Ciris: Check here.

As we've previously said, the files are a remnant of old DRM that is no longer active.

They serve no actual purpose, but their removal in a way that would keep all of the game's functionalities intact and stable would be a lot of work. Our tech team is currently swamped with other tasks (i.e. launching a ton of games, the GOG Galaxy project, preparations for the The Witcher 3 release, an much, MUCH more we can't reveal yet).

Since this is *not* DRM (as it does not in any way lock the game), but instead a simple inefficiency in how drive space is used, it's not a top-priority issue at the moment - however, it is one we do plan to fix and there will be updates when we do have updates to share. :)
So can I get back my money since this game is not DRM free?
Ciris: Check here.

john_hatcher: So can I get back my money since this game is not DRM free?
It's not DRM, as Ciris stated it's: "a simple inefficiency in how drive space is used."