It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ganni1987: I trust GOG and they wouldn't sell games with DRM, probably they haven't replied yet because they need to investigate this.
Klumpen0815: They did and confirmed, FEARMP.exe installs SecuROM.
I'm happy to not have installed it yet.
They said it was just the multiplayer aspect that installs it. If you just play Singleplayer mode you should be fine. You can always delete FEARMP.exe from the game's directory. I just wish I had this information earlier.
IronArcturus: Actually I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers. They said this was missed during the testing phase. So the GOG devs are aware of the DRM issue with FEAR, and they said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
Fun. Then disinfect your system, then avoid that file/feature until they get it fixed. Beyond that not much to say.

Considering the Multiplayer aspect is pretty much dead (unless you're using LAN) it is understandable they'd miss it, i just hoped it was a mistake.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by rtcvb32
rtcvb32: Fun. Then disinfect your system, then avoid that file/feature until they get it fixed. Beyond that not much to say.

Considering the Multiplayer aspect is pretty much dead (unless you're using LAN) it is understandable they'd miss it, i just hoped it was a mistake.
I don't know if there were any MP bot-matches in FEAR. That's what I wanted to try out. I'm hoping GOG can clean out that FEARMP.exe file.
rtcvb32: Fun. Then disinfect your system, then avoid that file/feature until they get it fixed. Beyond that not much to say.

IronArcturus: I don't know if there were any MP bot-matches in FEAR. That's what I wanted to try out. I'm hoping GOG can clean out that FEARMP.exe file.
Or better yet:

Replace it with a galaxy client. ;)
IronArcturus: I don't know if there were any MP bot-matches in FEAR. That's what I wanted to try out. I'm hoping GOG can clean out that FEARMP.exe file.
Solei: Or better yet:

It would be cool to play FEAR on Galaxy! Or maybe the FlatOut series too!
Solei: Or better yet:

IronArcturus: Or maybe the FlatOut series too!
This may be TMI, but I'm getting aroused at the thought of a game of FlatOut with you characters! :D
IronArcturus: Actually I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers. They said this was missed during the testing phase. So the GOG devs are aware of the DRM issue with FEAR, and they said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
That's good to hear.

Would be nice if they posted an alert or something until they get it fixed though.
darthspudius: So why after all this time have I never had a single problem? :/ If it is soo unreliable surely by chance it would of effected me by now.
It was SecuRom 7 that caused everyone to see what a bad thing it was. It hurt the comps of people that had CD burning software on them. SR7 saw this as something not koshur, that someone was trying to pirate software. They even asked if I was doing that since I had a CD burner and software. I told them "Windows is a CD burning software" and they just game me the run around after that. Microsoft had to help me recover my files at one point and we were lucky to get 70% of them back. SR7 had totally scrambled the HD Master boot records as well as the backup records. MS sent me a file to try and recover as much as possible while attaching the drive by cables to another computer to try and read it.

With SR7 if you had burner software or an image mounter it would cause problems. Heck, it would lock me out of even opening legitimate images that I had mad on my own computer. Some EXE files, if I was looking in directory view would bluescreen or cause the computer to reset. There are little things like desktop flicker5 or slowness of an exe or icons going to plain defaults that tell me that SR7 is on my comp. I have a disk made to get it off my system stat when I see that. Some variants of SR7 are so bad that it can take an hour or more to get it completely off your system.

One of the last time I was "infected" with it, I had to reinstall everything from my games to my software I use to make designs, a 16+ hour process. I am very careful about viruses and SR7.

That is why it doesn't affect everyone in the same way. For those that it does affect it is usually ones that have to make disks for backups and have software that helps them get to the files that they need in an unusual way.
IronArcturus: I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers.
They said this was missed during the testing phase.
They said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
I'm 100% sure this was an honest mistake but man how can they not tested it?
I mean, nobody at gog, during the whole testing phase, didn't clicked on the multiplayer button? Isn't this what testing is supposed to do, clicking on all menu buttons at least?
That's pretty bad in my book ;(
IronArcturus: I did get an email back from Support, and they confirmed it was the "FEARMP.exe" file that was installing SecuROM on people's computers.
They said this was missed during the testing phase.
They said they're working to release another version that should have this problem fixed.
mobutu: I'm 100% sure this was an honest mistake but man how can they not tested it?
I mean, nobody at gog, during the whole testing phase, didn't clicked on the multiplayer button? Isn't this what testing is supposed to do, clicking on all menu buttons at least?
That's pretty bad in my book ;(
They obviously need better testers, some guys from this thread for example with some knowledge of SecuROM, StarForce, etc...
There are several moments when I think, people from some thread should start working for GoG (on Linux support for example, we got some serious nerds here), this is one of those.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by Klumpen0815
tfishell: I'm curious: why is running games in a window important to you? Do you like to multitask? (I assume the controller just has to do with ease of use.)
I don't know about him, but when I am on a multi- (two) screen setup, running a game in a window simplifies things a lot.

If my laptop is connected to an external monitor (extended desktop), I can run a full-screen game only on the screen which is marked as the primary display. So if I e.g. want to run a game on the laptop screen and something else on the monitor screen (e.g. a walkthrough file for the game?), I first have to swap the laptop screen as the primary screen before running the game.

Also, in my setup the secondary screen works a bit erratically in that case, for some reason all the windows in the secondary desktop are moved halfway off the screen, if I have a fullscreen game on the other screen. And if it is some old 256-color game, the secondary (desktop) screen gets odd colors.

None of these problems exist if I run a game in a window. I can freely move it around between the two screens, etc. Hence, by default I run e.g. DOSBox in a window, configured to use a resolution that in occupies most of the screen though (I don't want to play games in a small window). So it feels like playing in full screen, only that I may see parts of the desktop e.g. on the sides (a 4:3 DOSBox window on a 16:9 screen). If at any point I want to run DOSBox full-screen instead, Alt-Enter works.

In a single-screen setup, I have less reason to run game in a window. Mainly just if I need to constantly swap between the game screen, and e.g. a walkthrough file. It is a bit less painful to swap between two windows, than alt-tab from a fullscreen game. Other than that, full-screen it is in a single-screen setup.
Post edited February 20, 2015 by timppu
high rated
If you would read my response again in full, you should notice that it doesn't install SecuROM, but only creates a bunch of dormant files and that registry entry. :) Unless any other game actually installs SecuROM (one that "works"), these files serve no purpose other than existing and being a waste of drive space.

In any event, we've got a workaround in the works, which will hopefully put your minds at ease.
Oops, I accidentaly downvoted your post when I meant to upvote it, Firek.
Firek: it doesn't install SecuROM, but only creates a bunch of dormant files and that registry entry. :)
Which is sorta what i expected... Having a few dormant files is the least of any worries i'd have honestly... Although they might be slightly annoying to have.
high rated
Kristian: Oops, I accidentaly downvoted your post when I meant to upvote it, Firek.
Don't worry, I'm a blue. I'm indestructible!

Firek: it doesn't install SecuROM, but only creates a bunch of dormant files and that registry entry. :)
rtcvb32: Which is sorta what i expected... Having a few dormant files is the least of any worries i'd have honestly... Although they might be slightly annoying to have.
And our workaround will make sure these files and entries don't stay there, and without jeopardizing a previously-installed SecuROM's files (if the user already had it, because of some other games). :)