It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
mrkgnao: I don't plan to buy games from GOG anymore until I feel they have --- as you've said --- changed trajectory.
Unfortunately, I don't believe this is going to happen.

As noted by others in this thread, GOG's main focus is Galaxy and getting people to use it. We forum users are just a drop in the ocean of GOG users, most of which are on social media (which GOG also uses to promote things exclusively or at least first), and they use Galaxy. The vast majority of these people don't give a shit about DRM and I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of Galaxy users that actually DL the backup off-line installers could be counted on one finger.

So it's probably only a matter of time before off-line installers are phased out completely and DRM becomes more and more prevalent (likely because striking deals with AAA publishers will be that much easier if DRM is accepted).

Galaxy will likely become mandatory and GOG will just become 'that digital retailer that used to be different'.

So am I going to boycott GOG? I don't know. I don't really believe that 'boycotts' work all that well (or, at least, boycotting GOG isn't going to accomplish anything), but I do know that I'm far less inclined to buy anything here now (what's the point of buying DRM-free games when the backup installers are often not updated?)

I also have an enormous backlog of games (and given my age, I'll likely die before playing them all... :P) so I really don't need to buy more games here - or anywhere, for that matter.
high rated
mrkgnao: I don't plan to buy games from GOG anymore until I feel they have --- as you've said --- changed trajectory.
TerriblePurpose: Unfortunately, I don't believe this is going to happen.

As noted by others in this thread, GOG's main focus is Galaxy and getting people to use it. We forum users are just a drop in the ocean of GOG users, most of which are on social media (which GOG also uses to promote things exclusively or at least first), and they use Galaxy. The vast majority of these people don't give a shit about DRM and I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of Galaxy users that actually DL the backup off-line installers could be counted on one finger.

So it's probably only a matter of time before off-line installers are phased out completely and DRM becomes more and more prevalent (likely because striking deals with AAA publishers will be that much easier if DRM is accepted).

Galaxy will likely become mandatory and GOG will just become 'that digital retailer that used to be different'.

So am I going to boycott GOG? I don't know. I don't really believe that 'boycotts' work all that well (or, at least, boycotting GOG isn't going to accomplish anything), but I do know that I'm far less inclined to buy anything here now (what's the point of buying DRM-free games when the backup installers are often not updated?)

I also have an enormous backlog of games (and given my age, I'll likely die before playing them all... :P) so I really don't need to buy more games here - or anywhere, for that matter.
I agree completely. I don't believe this boycott will change anything.

Except my peace of mind.
mrkgnao: Except my peace of mind.
Good point. :)
low rated
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

Actions I would like to see GOG taking:

1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
I have been thinking lately ,and i don't think this is the most effective way to go about it. Boycotts don't work against corporations, it seems. They seem to be more responsive to campaigns by MSM and social media. Remember, they are more beholden to stockholders than they are beholden to customers, and the stock holders don't read the forums.
high rated
I gotta agree with most of what you wrote and also don't see myself buying anything here for a long while. I want to see Gog improve its relations with their customers — actual customers — before I spend a cent here. For the moment I feel like we are an afterthought for Gog, so I voted with my wallet during the winter sale and will continue doing so until something changes.

This doesn't mean I'm swearing to never buy from them, but I would rather support a store that I feel that deserve my money. Will it change anything? Probably not, but at least I'm doing my part.

Naturally, it's a personal decision. So I don't get why so many people come here to tell you that in their view "your PoV is stupid" and Gog is A-ok in their book, because you're not keeping them from upholding their personal decision of continue supporting Gog.

Breja: I love how smug everyone in this thread is, how full of contempt for someone having principles. If anyone wants an explanation for why GOG wen the way it did, this arogant contempt for someone having principles is the best answer there is.
Yeah it's an amazing (and disgusting) effect how in certain situations this mentality comes up even among people who you'd usually think is smarter than that. Like when a bully is punching and throwing around a smaller kid who decided to stand up against the abuse, the other kids around will actually cheer for the same bully that abuses them!
low rated
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021.
I would like to announce that I don't care.
Raennik: So, when a game comes to GOG, the team have three choices.
mrkgnao: They could do a fourth thing, which in my book would earn them quite a few brownie points, and that is clearly indicate which games are fully DRM-free (i.e. 100% content available without online access or galaxy) and which are not, just like they identify which games have Linux support or achievements or controller support or Hungarian audio or DLCs.
Agreed, but that's basically #3 but with better prominent disclaimers for online content which is what I called for. Because with more developers pushing additional content behind online access, that's what we've come to and the line they have to tread while trying to keep their DRM-free principles. This behavior by developers is only going to continue, which is why I say if it comes to not having those games, or having them with that caveat in place, I'd rather have them.

But as you say, they need to be very up-front about this, so buyers can make informed choices. A badge or proclamation that a game has no online access requirements whatsoever would be a welcome addition. And where it does have online access requirements, it needs to be spelled out specifically, in detail, exactly what in that title requires online access, even if it is "multiplayer" (expected), "bonus skins", "online branch campaign", etc, so we know what we're not getting if we choose to remain offline.
high rated
PaterAlf: I would like to announce that I don't care.
In the interest of keeping up with forum fashion these days, why not make your own thread? :P
Raennik: A badge or proclamation that a game has no online access requirements whatsoever would be a welcome addition.
A DRM-free badge on a store that used to embody the very essence of DRM-free-ness? I see your point, but that's just sad.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by WinterSnowfall
toxicTom: Absolver - I don't know for sure, but as I understood it, some additional SP content is only unlocked after playing MP, which requires playing online through Galaxy.
The issue with Absolver is that it's basically a PvP multi-player oriented game with a small SP campaign. The idea of the game is, you do the SP as some extended tutorial and then you continue leveling up for the PvP, and this "continue leveling up" part includes re-fighting SP bosses and gaining new skils. And this post campaign part is only available online.

That's why it's more complicated than a simple "single player content locked online" because on one side it's true that you cannot re-challenge SP bosses and continue progressing your character if you are not online but on the other side, once you finished the SP campaign there is nothing left to do offline, it's not like there is a new game plus or anything, the only thing left to do is the PvP multiplayer.
high rated
Thanks for this, it sums up my feelings too.

After the Devotion issue and the lie about it (followed by silence), I:
- Refunded any orders from the last 30 days (first ever refund)
- Deleted my GOG wishlist
- Didn't buy anything in the sale
- Made sure I spoke about this on social media.

I won't be buying from GOG again until they sort this out (or CD Project games like Cyberpunk from another store).

As others have said, I have enough games to last me a lifetime already here, on Steam, and on Itch (probably hundreds that I haven't played yet). For the first time in two years I bought games in Steam's Winter Sale (and none in GOG's). Steam is shit and I know it, so I have low expectations and am not disappointed. Gog seriously disappointed me.

Unless this gets resolved I'll go back to how I was a few years ago and get all my games on Steam (if heavily discounted, to make up for the DRM) and Itch (full price if indie and DRM-free).

I've no idea how to get all this alienation noticed by the people at GOG who have the power to change anything.

(Oh, and to top it off, GOG threatened me with closing my Forum account because I posted about the Devotion issue and they vaguely said it broke their forum guidelines. No, there was nothing bad in my posts, just something along these lines.)

It's weird how a company can have a super-loyal customer, and via a number of bad decisions that they double down on, make that customer so angry that they lose all their goodwill and will no longer recommend them or support them.
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
If there was any other alternative, I'd consider it.
Unfortunately, the state of computer game stores is absolutely dreadful, and GOG is the best one out of them by a long shot. So, they got a monopoly on my money mostly.
high rated
Time4Tea: .
2) Remove No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
Can't desagree with that.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by M3troid
Only a considerable number of GoG users (at least "many gamers"+1) continously refraining from buying ANYTHING and/or engaging with GoG in ANY way shape or form for a certain amount of time and/or over multiple strikes/boycotts could make GoG rethink/reconsider (some of) their decisions.

Which, unfortunately, is impossible to orchestrate.
low rated
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

If you want out of GOG please go out.This is your decision.But You reasons are absolutely absurd:)
high rated

Ha, you have barely scratched the surface. It’s been years now (note not a full list):
Broken website
Broken forum
Broken search
Removed downloader
No option to download different versions (working versions in cases)
Mostly no change logs
Galaxy infected installers (even offline)
Galaxy formatted offline installers
Limited download options
Spam and bots filling the forums
Broken rep system
Limited library options
No access to workshop content even though workshop heavy games sold here (the quest or elder scrolls for instance)
Removed all previous perks = soundtracks, manuals
Removed store options like fair pricing to cover regional pricing
Offline installers updated after galaxy
Social media only giveaways and competitions
Terrible communication (just see the no preload for offline users on cyberpunk)
Client only zealots hired as moderators

Add to this the whole cyberpunk debacle with the owner cdprojectred (who have managed to become the new EA!) and I cannot recommend anyone use this site or CDPR in any context whatsoever.

They have no intention of doing anything other than continue to push their adware client out to as many machines as possible in preparation for the full scale move to online only, microtransaction fuelled garbage, probably entitled cyberpunk 2077.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by nightcraw1er.488