It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Delete your account, otherwise you're not boycotting enough.
high rated
aluinie: Nope not gpoing to stop buying games in 2021.

Also if you are going to stop buying games here on principle then you need to stop buying from Origin, Uplay , Bethesda, Epic as these companies have done just as much or if not worse than what has happened here.
I don't buy from those stores and haven't done so for years. I don't buy DRM.
low rated
gwent is pretty fun, i'm sorry you hate fun
high rated
Time4Tea: 1) Release Devotion immediately.
Won't happen. I'm sure GOG would love to release an award-winning game as an exclusive. If they don't they can't, otherwise they would have released it already.
Time4Tea: 2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
I don't know about Absolver. I don't want NMS removed, I want it fixed. As for Gwent... it's their own product, it's F2P and MP (where the DRM-free rule isn't applied anyway). So they'll only remove it once it isn't making money any more.
Time4Tea: 3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
That should really happen. Where's the harm in providing an offline installer for those few items?
Time4Tea: 4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
The Epic store integration in Galaxy? I'm all for getting rid of that... The question is what kind of contracts GOG signed over this, and if they can get out.
Time4Tea: 5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
I can get behind that too.
Time4Tea: 6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.
That too.
Time4Tea: Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
I'm not boycotting them, because TINA. GOG is still the only DRM-free place with a decent collection. I've stopped recommending them left and right a while ago though. They really should stop and think what people really want, other than great releases (which they had, no doubt, in the last year). For instance Galaxy: make a great client that everybody and their dog simply wants to use, and you can leave out those silly incentives, bribing people with free stuff to get them to use the client is the wrong way.
high rated
Time4Tea: That one is a bit hand-wavy, I agree. I guess I would like to at least see some progress with the backlog of offline installers being brought into line with the Galaxy versions.
WinterSnowfall: I'm tracking the discrepancies and all I can say is that it's gotten somewhat better these last months, but some older issues are still not solved. It may very well be developers at fault there, not sure. My point being, don't grab any pitchforks just yet, it (genuinely) seems they are trying to address this point.
Then it would be nice to see GOG communicating that more clearly. If only for the sake that they really need to do something PR-wise to show the community they still care somewhat about DRM-free.

WinterSnowfall:
I hate DRM. DRM is not fun.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by Time4Tea
high rated
Time4Tea: Then it would be nice to see GOG communicating that more clearly.
Yeah, about that... I've been here for some years now and ever since EnigmaticT left, I haven't seen the glimmer of proper PR, at least not on the forums.

Sorry GOGBears! I know some of you are trying to loosen the shackles :), but ultimately it's a policy decision and it's just not (back) there yet... if it will ever be.
high rated
Good for you. Until you realize that in the end you boycott everything around. Nothing is perfect in these days.
high rated
I love how smug everyone in this thread is, how full of contempt for someone having principles. If anyone wants an explanation for why GOG wen the way it did, this arogant contempt for someone having principles is the best answer there is.

Personally, I'm not making any absolute resolutions. I bought only a few very cheap games at the very beginning of the Winter Sale, just before I learned of the whole We Welcome Our Communist Overlords debacle, following which I bought nothing else, even though most of my wishlist was heavily discounted, and I surely would have bought more games if this was the same GOG as even only a year before. I'm not swearing GOG off for ever and ever and totally right now, but unlike the past, I will treat is a "last resort" sort of thing. I will play through my backlog, re-play older games, seek DRM-free games elsewhere, and only if there's something really super important to me that I can't get elsewhere (like maybe a release of Star Trek Final Unity), or I'm completely out of games will I buy here again.

And unlike the smug douche nozzles above, I totally respect anyone who in the light of the events of the past year boycotts GOG altogether.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by Breja
high rated
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.
These are the reasons why I stopped spending money on GOG as well. I have always supported them because they stood for DRM-free. They don't do that anymore, so I don't support them anymore.

It would be very nice if many more would think likewise and if GOG would feel that dropping their last principle hurts their sales - but alas, I don't have much hope. Most customers seem either to go 'meh. Don't care'. Or they hop through lots of loops to justify themselves that each new broken promise by GOG 'isn't really DRM yet!'.

Well, to each their own. I won't support the new GOG and we'll see how they fare as smaller and less important copy of Steam and key-reseller for Epic.

I migrated to zoom-platform as well.

But to be honest, I made an exception from my boycott for the Secret Santa event. Since that was about giving someone else joy, I suspended my boycott as a kind of farewell gift.

I will continue to hang around here in the forum. But unless GOG change their course back and become a DRM-free platform again, I won't spend money here.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by Lifthrasil
low rated
I just opened this topic and that site loaded differently and there was some long black text under Time4Tea's profile. Not sure what was there but it started something like... "Sorry, unfortunately this profile..." and some other long text.
Unfortunately, I clicked on refresh automatically before and I lost it before I could read it.

Just saying it was some weird and fishy text. It looked like some internal thing. Not sure what it was. First impression was it being info about you being blocked or something, but I refreshed. After that I saw you have nothing like that there and your profile is not blocked.

Just people be carefull what is GOG doing with your data and their censorship. I asked for permanent removal of profile picture and two workers were on it and confirmend it (support + technical guy) and after I made a ticket some time after and some internal bug occured, my profile picture (and probably some other data) is back and nobody answered to me since why they lie about my data being permanently deleted (GDPR) and I had it to report to EDPS.

Your data are in China by now. I didn't expect GOG being so rotten.
low rated
Ramor_: I just opened this topic and that site loaded differently and there was some long black text under Time4Tea's profile. Not sure what was there but it started something like... "Sorry, unfortunately this profile..." and some other long text.
Unfortunately, I clicked on refresh automatically before and I lost it before I could read it.

Just saying it was some weird and fishy text. It looked like some internal thing. Not sure what it was. First impression was it being info about you being blocked or something, but I refreshed. After that I saw you have nothing like that there and your profile is not blocked.

Just people be carefull what is GOG doing with your data and their censorship. I asked for permanent removal of profile picture and two workers were on it and confirmend it (support + technical guy) and after I made a ticket some time after and some internal bug occured, my profile picture (and probably some other data) is back and nobody answered to me since why they lie about my data being permanently deleted (GDPR) and I had it to report to EDPS.

Your data are in China by now. I didn't expect GOG being so rotten.
Spooky story! :o
high rated
Oh dear! I discovered GOG on Boxing Day 2020, and was very impressed. I intensely dislike DRM of any sort, and also the highly restrictive licensing conditions that seem to be increasingly common with apps. I use, and donate to, open source people such as Apache Open Office whose licensing conditions are generous. I've bought a bunch of budget games highly discounted as I'm using an old 2.8MHz 2 core duo with 4Gb RAM running Windows 10. A used 1Mb 128 bit video card of similar vintage is on order, for about £14, although the games I bought may not need it. A games controller is on order. I can't wait to get stuck in!

Presumably the DRM is applied to newer games. I am very dissapointed to hear that GOG is letting DRM in, and also prioritising Galaxy users. I like to download any stuff as a file, on my online PC, then can transfer it to the hard drive on the above PC which is kept offline. One is free of interruptions and the privacy is satisfying.

Hope I'm not rambling too much; I'm a pensioner and this is the first post I've ever done on a forum. I've downloaded and played legal free games such as Match 3's, basic Arcade, etc from other sites, but the GOG games are far more sophisticated and interesting. I'm not a gamer as I have no real experience. Is there a quick bit of advice anyone can offer to get started on a game, or is it a matter of patience and trial and error?
Post edited January 05, 2021 by eando52
With them specifically having games that have Linux versions but GOG doesn't provide the downloads for, along with what you describe, I certainly find Steam more attractive than GOG much of the time.
high rated
Best of luck to you, mate.... now I'm off to dl The Witcher 3 and play it for the umpteen time.
high rated
eando52: I am very dissapointed to hear that GOG is letting DRM in, and also prioritising Galaxy users.
99.9% of the games here are still 100% DRM-free for single player. The issues are a bit more complicated.
Gwent is an MP game with micro-transaction, so it's tied to your online account.
No Man's Sky had (additional) content in one of its (many!) updates that only unlocks if you enable multiplayer once. That content is basically single-player - that's why the outrage about it.
Absolver - I don't know for sure, but as I understood it, some additional SP content is only unlocked after playing MP, which requires playing online through Galaxy.
Cyberpunk 2077 has a couple of arbitrary bonus items which only unlock through Galaxy. Those items are pure cosmetics, but that GOG/CDPR of all people would have this silly Galaxy-requirement in their game has caused quite some disappointment.

So the status is still: If you're only into single-player, GOG is still a safe choice, although there are a handful of games where you might miss out on optional stuff. And yes, that should be fixed too, do you hear me, GOG?

eando52: Hope I'm not rambling too much; I'm a pensioner and this is the first post I've ever done on a forum. I've played legal free games such as Match 3's, basic Arcade, etc, but these games are far more sophisticated and interesting. I'm not a gamer as I have no real experience. Is there a quick bit of advice anyone can offer to get started, or is it a matter of patience and trial and error?
Welcome to the forums then. I encourage you to open a separate topic where you can ask for advice as a newcomer in "serious" gaming. My first advice would be to try to find out what games you would like to play... there's really a lot of choices in terms of mechanics, design, stories, backgrounds...