It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Well tbh I've already bought most of the games on Gog I'm interested in anyway. But yeah, Gog's actions over the past year have definitely decreased my respect for them to a new low. I even could understand that they don't want to publish that Devotion game because they regard it as too risky, but pretending that it's a pro-consumer choice ("We've listened to gamers") is just beneath contempt. There are also a lot of other issues, so I definitely don't think Gog can in any way still be regarded as the "good guys" among gaming shops.
Admittedly they still do some good things like getting old games to run on modern systems (that and the offline installers is pretty much the only argument in their favour imo), but their development over the last few years has definitely been negative.
high rated
mrkgnao: On the other side, by continuing to post here, he keeps the spirit of boycott alive and may come to convince others to join. Nobody would know of the boycott otherwise.

If one sees in the street one kid bullying another, one could say "I hate bullies, so I'd better walk down another street", or one might actually try to stop the bullying (and get a black eye in the process).
SomeGuy8504: I would argue that if someone really hated GOG, they wouldn't want to actually come to the site and use it.
Generally, when you hate something you are disgusted to even look at it.
In this case, most of the users who are complaining have more of an ideological or intellectual problem with GOG, but that's not really enough to hate something. The service they deliver is still better than their competitors in many ways, so these users won't actually quit the store until that service actually becomes unusable.

EDIT: I guess to add to that, when you make threads like this it is mainly to incite some sort of rebellious response. These sorts of "forced" boycotts rarely work from my experience. The only boycotts that work are 'natural' ones that happen because people just don't want to buy a product anymore or use a service because it's bad or annoying.

EDIT2: Nothing against OP btw, I don't have a problem with this thread, I just think it'll ultimately be completely ineffective.
I used the verb "hate" only because samuraigaiden used it. I don't think the OP hates GOG. I certainly don't.

As far as I understand the OP, he plans to boycott GOG exactly because its service is "bad or annoying", which according to your note is "natural". He is not trying to force anyone, just to encourage others to do the same.

I agree it will be ineffective.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by mrkgnao
high rated
eando52: I'm not a gamer as I have no real experience. Is there a quick bit of advice anyone can offer to get started on a game, or is it a matter of patience and trial and error?
Really depends on what kind of genres you are interested in, e. g. if you want something more story-driven, something focused on action, or a strategy game etc.
Maybe look up a list of "best games" from the 1990s and 2000s and buy some of them when they're on sale, so you can try them and see which genres appeal to you.

Time4Tea: It's disappointing. It seems the site these days is populated by people who are happy to turn a blind eye and sweep GOG's misdeeds under the carpet, rather than try to hold them accountable.
They're just addicts desperate to get their fix, so they're willing to excuse anything Gog does, lol.
I honestly don't get how anyone can defend Gog's stance about that Devotion game, their framing of it as a pro-consumer action (instead of bending to political pressure from a dictatorship) is inexcusable imo.
Post edited January 05, 2021 by morolf
morolf: They're just addicts desperate to get their fix, so they're willing to excuse anything Gog does, lol.
I honestly don't get how anyone can defend Gog's stance about that Devotion game, their framing of it as a pro-consumer action (instead of bending to political pressure from a dictatorship) is inexcusable imo.
My expectations are not very high. If I was to boycott every corporate entity that made decisions I disagreed with, I'd have to go live in a cave.

Anyways, I've come to terms with the fact that we are a bunch of d*mb cavemen trying...

The excuse they gave is not awesome, but its barely a bleep on my radar. I've forgiven people who did a lot worse. You should too (not that GOG is people, but it seems to be fashionable to view corporate entities as living beings with feelings and morals... I guess decades of corporate PR have done their work well).

Anyways, I've never bought games here to **support** GOG (I never understood what that was about, GOG is a privately owned company, not a cause). I bought games here because I like games and GOG delivers them in a format that I like.

I should probably stop because I have way more games that I'll ever play. I have yet to. I do like to support indie developers and they keep coming up with game concepts that awe me.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Magnitus
high rated
mrkgnao: I don't plan to buy games from GOG anymore until I feel they have --- as you've said --- changed trajectory. I don't really expect them to do so, though.
Yeah, for me this is really the main problem. It's not so much what the store is now, but it seems to be on a very clear path towards embracing DRM that just feels wrong (from the PoV of someone who strongly supports DRM-free).
high rated
Time4Tea: Yeah, for me this is really the main problem. It's not so much what the store is now, but it seems to be on a very clear path towards embracing DRM that just feels wrong (from the PoV of someone who strongly supports DRM-free).
At least that, I can strongly relate to.

For sure, if they abandon their DRM-free roots, then I'll see little reason to spend any more money here.
high rated
Magnitus: Anyways, I've never bought games here to **support** GOG (I never understood what that was about, GOG is a privately owned company, not a cause). I bought games here because I like games and GOG delivers them in a format that I like.
I can respect that attitude, and I might not totally boycott Gog myself in the future (colony ship rpg which is expected to be released in fall or winter 2021 is certainly something I'd like to get). And you're probably right that it was always naive to believe Gog was a sort of cause (instead of just another shop), but let's be honest, Gog encouraged exactly that attitude through its marketing for years. Their entire concept rested on "We're the good guys, we listen to consumers". And now it's become clear they don't listen to consumers all that much...except to those worshipping Xi Jinping apparently, lol.
Total end of the line for me would be if Gog removed the offline installers/didn't offer them for new games. At that point I'd really hope for them to go bankrupt tbh, because that would be the ultimate betrayal of their supposed principles.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by morolf
Ancient-Red-Dragon: "They can't" --- that statment is sheer BS. There is nothing whatsoever at all to stop GOG from releasing Devotion.

The only reason why they don't is because they shamefully cower in fear over potentially offending the CCP; and that is not a legitimate reason.
I'd love to see you in the position of the guy making that decision. Release Devotion, yay! Maybe nothing but a little shitstorm happens. Maybe GOG get's blocked in China, barring them from a market of millions of potential customers, Cyberpunk gets banned over there, you lose your job (have you wife and kids?) over it, Devotion quickly gets delisted anyway to make amends (with or without success), GOG/CDPR lose a lot of money, shareholders rattle their sabers in court...

Yeah, real easy to stand up for principles from your comfy armchair with no responsibility for a company, employees and all that.

What you call "shamefully cower in fear" is simply risk management - the only sane way to run a company. And since I'm simply not in the position of the one who called that shot (and neither are you) and don't know all the facts, tribulations and and strings attached (and neither do you), I don't presume to pass judgment on it.
high rated
kohlrak: I have been thinking lately ,and i don't think this is the most effective way to go about it. Boycotts don't work against corporations, it seems. They seem to be more responsive to campaigns by MSM and social media. Remember, they are more beholden to stockholders than they are beholden to customers, and the stock holders don't read the forums.
Well, I think if enough people boycott that it starts hitting their bottom line, the shareholders would take notice and put pressure on them to change. I believe that mass action by large numbers of people can make a difference. Of course, large corporations want us to believe otherwise, that we are helpless cattle to be farmed, one way or another.

Magnitus: Anyways, I've never bought games here to **support** GOG (I never understood what that was about, GOG is a privately owned company, not a cause). I bought games here because I like games and GOG delivers them in a format that I like.
GOG might not be, but DRM-free is a cause. One that GOG used to believe in wholeheartedly and a cause powerful enough that it built this store in the first place, before it became to them merely a convenient marketing slogan.

Magnitus: For sure, if they abandon their DRM-free roots, then I'll see little reason to spend any more money here.
If that happens, why would anyone have a reason to buy games here? What reason does anyone have to shop here, if not for DRM-free? Do they seriously think they can compete with Steam on price and client features alone (which is what they seem to want to do).
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Time4Tea
high rated
toxicTom: Maybe GOG get's blocked in China, barring them from a market of millions of potential customers, ,
So what, there are enough potential customers outside of China. Yeah, maybe it would cost them some profit, but I don't see why one should respect their stance, you're really trying too hard with this "omg, if they offended Xi Jinping, their children would starve!" line. It's just beneath contempt if you let yourself be dictated to like that by a one-party dictatorship, all the more so since the "offensive" content had been removed from the game.
Ok, it's probably not surprising, Gog is hardly alone with such behaviour. But then they can keep their "We're different, we've got principles" to themselves, because it's laughable.
morolf: Total end of the line for me would be if Gog removed the offline installers/didn't offer them for new games. At that point I'd really hope for them to go bankrupt tbh, because that would be the ultimate betrayal of their supposed principles.
Yes, for me as well. You can't have DRM-free without offline installers. Besides, I use Linux. If Galaxy ever becomes mandatory, I won't be able to buy games here any more anyway, even if I wanted to.
Not being affected by any of what you listed, I'm not boycotting. But I respect your stance.
Time4Tea: I would like to announce that I have decided to boycott GOG for 2021. This is in response to several decisions the site has made over the past year that I believe have been deeply misguided:

Firstly, the continued slippage of GOG's DRM-free values. The promise of 100% DRM-free is what the site was originally founded on and yet GOG seem to be allowing this principle to be increasingly eroded. The games No Man's Sky and Absolver are two examples of games that include single-player DRM, which GOG is aware of and has failed to address. CDPR also seem to continue to believe the rules on GOG don't apply to their own games, firstly with Gwent and more recently the DRMed single-player rewards built into Cyberpunk. In addition, GOG's recent deal with Epic appears to be a cover for GOG to start selling DRMed games.

Next, the continued heavy pushing of Galaxy and the lack of maintenance of the offline installers. Several times in recent months, GOG has given incentives only to Galaxy users in the form of bonus content or free games. This has the effect of making non-Galaxy users feel like second-class customers. Also, there many well documented cases of GOG neglecting to update offline installers, even though they are updating the Galaxy versions, so they clearly have the updated files. This is not acceptable - offline installers are the core of the DRM-free concept. All of this points to a worrying trend which may ultimately lead to GOG abandoning offline installers entirely and making Galaxy mandatory.

Lastly, the recent debacle with Devotion. I won't repeat everything that has been said about this in other threads, but GOG's decision to be complicit in imposing Chinese censorship on non-Chinese users is simply unacceptable. The game needs to be released on GOG immediately.

Actions I would like to see GOG taking:

1) Release Devotion immediately.
2) Remove Gwent, No Man's Sky, Absolver (and any other DRMed games) from the store.
3) Remove DRM from the bonus cosmetics in Cyberpunk.
4) Cancel the deal with Epic.
5) Stop providing free games/incentives only to Galaxy users.
6) Assign adequate resources to maintenance of the offline installers.

For me to make any purchases on GOG this year, #1 needs to happen and at least a couple of the others. I.e. I want to see clear signs of a change in trajectory of the site, away from it's current misguided direction towards being a weak Steam competitor and back towards the principles it was founded on. I had been planning to spend $150-200 on GOG this year, but instead I will be spending that at Zoom Platform, to help build up a viable DRM-free alternative store.

Is anyone else intending to boycott GOG? Who is with me?
Way ahead of you.
I am already over GOG and CDPR. The last thing I would do with my money is give it to these liars again.
high rated
I have 87 games in my backlog, including a good chunk of lengthy RPGs, and increasingly less time to play them. Not buying anything here for the whole of 2021 is one of the easiest decisions I could make to do my part in holding GOG accountable for their sketchy behavior.
morolf: And you're probably right that it was always naive to believe Gog was a sort of cause (instead of just another shop), but let's be honest, Gog encouraged exactly that attitude through its marketing for years. Their entire concept rested on "We're the good guys, we listen to consumers". And now it's become clear they don't listen to consumers all that much...except to those worshipping Xi Jinping apparently, lol.
Its a shame that corporations are entitled to brand themselves in such ways. I find it very hypocritical.

Its one thing to tout your product(s) or your track record, its quite another to give yourself as an incorporeal entity the kind of qualities you would give to a person.

At most, you could brand the head of the company as caring and virtuous (assuming that he/she is the sole owner or has majority shares), but certainly not the company itself. That is quite ridiculous.

Time4Tea: GOG might not be, but DRM-free is a cause. One that GOG used to believe in wholeheartedly and a cause powerful enough that it built this store in the first place, before it became to them merely a convenient marketing slogan.
Entrepreneurs do that all the time. They'll come up with an idea, figure out if there is a paying market for it and if there is, go with it.

They may or may not strongly believe in the foundational principles behind the idea, but they will certainly follow the money and work hard for it.
Post edited January 06, 2021 by Magnitus