0.585.1 just hit the Experimental branch, featuring:
- Optimized the ring background particle system. Now, despite being capable of displaying much more particles, it uses fewer CPU resources. This will both improve performance on systems that were bound by CPU-GPU communication, as well as make some areas of the rings covered with a thick haze of small rocks. You can adjust the background particle details to fine-tune that.
- Passing multiple days during transit, on station or during repair would count only as a single day for education performance. Now you will benefit from all the days, which should increase the rate at which your crew educate themselves.
- The profiler view (F11) now contains a version string.
- Physics throttling will be a bit less aggressive now. Previous settings, on builds that sported multiple drones or mining companions, could end up in a deadlock where no ice was generated. With new settings, the ice spawn radius is adjusted to always be within the despawn radius, so you should never end up in an empty ring. As a drawback, this will decrease the performance (which would be better in an empty ring scenario) - this is a design choice. You can improve your performance using detail sliders in settings instead.
- Mineral chunks physics optimization. Immobile ore chunks can now be put to sleep, decreasing performance requirements for strip-mining ship builds.
- Physics simulation throttling will now work based on gameplay area, not the radius around the ship. This makes applied changes more subtle.
- NT Mining Companions are now more short-sighted, which will reduce their effectiveness in unguided mining a bit, but improves their performance by over 400%.
- Adjusted Pelican Prospector internal cargo bay shape to make the optionally installed cargo baffles more effective.
- You can completely turn off all the lights, including the Sun, with the lowest settings of details, which will improve performance on low-end machines. For roleplay purposes, you can assume that you are mining in the shadow of Saturn.
- Certain anomalies could despawn much quicker than they were supposed to.
- The game default settings will now include full-screen mode, 60 fps frame limit, and vertical synchronization turned off. I found that these settings offer the best out-of-the-box performance whilst avoiding problems with variable refresh rate monitors.
- When your processed storage compartment on your ship becomes full, your ship will sound a brief alert now.
- Updated translations.
Feedback Focus: Any cargo-related incidents, performance, visuals, ring generation quirks.