It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
RadonGOG: So: Does this already applies to these two games---in other words:
Do you own them completely now? Like: You get 100% of the money you gain via sales?

Oh, BTW: You doesn´t adress you, Judas, personally---although a "Thievin' Bastard" of course could take all the money and run... :D )
JudasIscariot: I guess we do? I don't know, I don't deal with the financial bits :) As for the "completely", well, I've been told we even have the rights to the source code for the games so I guess that counts as completely :D
Sounds like it... :D
JudasIscariot: Umm it's always been optional around here :)
Garret02: Yeah, I know (and very happy about that). That post was just my personal rant at CDP that I was just holding back inside me for a long time :P
Just to clarify how optional the translations are:

If we can, we separate the languages so each one has its own installer with a given language's name in the file name so you'd see something like "setup_random_game_polish_2.0.0.4.exe" :)

If it's impossible to separate the languages, you still have the option to choose which one you want to use unless it's one of those games that tries to be "smart" and chooses the language for you based on your system language (this is annoying as all hell but there's not much we can do about this :/ )
Wow! Awesome games released today! Thank you for bringing them back to live!
I just posted a link to a Pacific General fansite with lots of goodies in the GOG Pacific General Discussion folder.
JudasIscariot: Just to clarify how optional the translations are:

If we can, we separate the languages so each one has its own installer with a given language's name in the file name so you'd see something like "setup_random_game_polish_2.0.0.4.exe" :)

If it's impossible to separate the languages, you still have the option to choose which one you want to use unless it's one of those games that tries to be "smart" and chooses the language for you based on your system language (this is annoying as all hell but there's not much we can do about this :/ )
It might be possible for someone to override the language a game detects by using environment variables or commandline options to the executable. I'm not sure of the details of how locale related information is passed around in Windows, but on POSIX systems like Linux you can set the LANG=xxx variable or any of the various LC_???? variables to specify overrides to the default system locale settings when starting a script or executable and the program will inherit these settings instead of the system defaults. For example in Linux one would override a system configured for German or some other language by doing:

LANG=en_CA /usr/bin/mygame --gameoptions blah blah

that causes the game to run in the Canadian English locale. I presume something similar exists in Windows which might work with games as well, but again I'm a Linux gearhead when it comes to this sort of thing so... :)
I have Pacific General, but for me worked only my old win98 machine...
This is a best news what I read at gog.com this year.
JudasIscariot: .. I've been told we even have the rights to the source code for the games so I guess that counts as completely :D
Just to be sure: Do you have the source code too, or only the rights? :)
JudasIscariot: .. I've been told we even have the rights to the source code for the games so I guess that counts as completely :D
Trilarion: Just to be sure: Do you have the source code too, or only the rights? :)
The rights :)
JudasIscariot: Just to clarify how optional the translations are:

skeletonbow: It might be possible for someone to override the language a game detects by using environment variables or commandline options to the executable. I'm not sure of the details of how locale related information is passed around in Windows, but on POSIX systems like Linux you can set the LANG=xxx variable or any of the various LC_???? variables to specify overrides to the default system locale settings when starting a script or executable and the program will inherit these settings instead of the system defaults. For example in Linux one would override a system configured for German or some other language by doing:

LANG=en_CA /usr/bin/mygame --gameoptions blah blah

that causes the game to run in the Canadian English locale. I presume something similar exists in Windows which might work with games as well, but again I'm a Linux gearhead when it comes to this sort of thing so... :)
If it's a newer game with an active developer, it's up to them, we aren't going to do their work for them :)

In the case of older games, we usually make a language selector that allows you to switch the language easily :)
Post edited May 06, 2015 by JudasIscariot
Moar SSI! All SSI! Gimmeh! :D
Just out of curiosity, I noticed there are linux and mac versions for FG but not for the other General games, why is that? is it simply a matter of time the other games get theirs, or are there any technical reasons for not being out already?
Post edited May 06, 2015 by svmariscal
svmariscal: Just out of curiosity, I noticed there are linux and mac versions for FG but not for the other General games, why is that? is it simply a matter of time the other games get theirs, or are there any technical reasons for not being out already?
All the General games on GOG, aside Fantasy General, were only released on Windows, which makes it harder to get a working version of them on other operating systems. In addition, Panzer General 2 and Panzer General 3D are published here by Ubisoft and would require a renegotiation of their deal with GOG to allow Mac and Linux versions.

It's easy to create working Mac/Linux versions of Fantasy General, since the game was only released on DOS.
Post edited May 06, 2015 by Grargar
synfresh: Exclusivity and DRM-Free are 2 different things. Valve has no issue letting any vendor selling their games. He said they do not require exclusivity on titles and he's correct. He did not say they to do not require DRM.
GabiMoro: So Valve doesn't really want to sell their games in front of as many people as they can, or they would take the necesarry measures to sell their games on more stores (removing the DRM, if needed).
Well, the quote said "We think you should get your game in front of as many people as you can" not "We think we should get our game in front of as many people as we can".
high rated
Vote for Strategic Simulations Inc. games on the wishlist

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Allied General
Anvil Of Dawn
Archon Ultra
Buck Rogers: Countdown To Doomsday
Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed
Champions Of Krynn
Curse Of The Azure Bonds
Cyber Empires
CyClones
Dark Colony
Dark Legions
The Dark Queen Of Krynn
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dark Sun: Wake Of The Ravager
DarkSpyre
Death Knights Of Krynn
Demon's Winter
Dragons Of Flame
DragonStrike
Dungeon Hack
The Eternal Dagger
Eye Of The Beholder
Eye Of The Beholder II: The Legend Of Darkmoon
Eye Of The Beholder III: Assault On Myth Drannor
Fantasy Empires
Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures
Gateway To The Savage Frontier
Heroes Of The Lance
Hillsfar
Menzoberranzan
Neverwinter Nights (1991)
Panzer Commander
Panzer General
Panzer General III: Scorched Earth
People's General (a.k.a. Dynasty General)
Phantasie
Phantasie II
Phantasie III: Wrath Of Nikademus
Pool Of Radiance
Pool Of Radiance: Ruins Of Myth Drannor
Pools Of Darkness
Prophecy Of The Shadow
Questron
Questron II
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession
Realms Of Darkness
Renegade Legion: Interceptor
Renegade: The Battle For Jacob's Star
Rings Of Zilfin
Roadwar 2000
Roadwar Europa
Secret Of The Silver Blades
Shadow Sorcerer
Shard Of Spring
Soldiers At War
Spelljammer: Pirates Of Realmspace
SSI AD&amp;D Gold Box Series
Star Command
Star General
Steel Panthers
Steel Panthers II: Modern Battles
Steel Panthers III: Brigade Command (1939-1999)
Stronghold (Dungeons &amp; Dragons)
Su-27 Flanker
The Summoning
Treasures Of The Savage Frontier
Veil Of Darkness
War Of The Lance
War Wind
War Wind II: Human Onslaught
Wizard's Crown
Barry_Woodward: Vote for Strategic Simulations Inc. games on the wishlist

Anvil Of Dawn
It's already here. ;)
Wow, I hope this is something GOG can do again in the future.

If Star Trek: Judgment Rites gets put up, I'll buy ten copies (dead serious - I'll do a giveaway).