It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible, Panzer-like grand strategy classics, are available now DRM-free on GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span>, available for Windows, is a spiritual sequel from the studio behind the acclaimed Panzer General series - an improvement over the classic, but one that retains the same feel and concepts as its inspiration. Once more we return to the overhead battlefields of World War II in a series of quick-play scenarios and full-blown campaigns: everything from Pearl Harbor to hypothetical invasion scenarios is here, all packaged in a relatively newbie-friendly grand-strategy package. <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> takes that same experience and sets it in a fantasy universe. This one's for you if you're a fan of large-scale hex-based battlefields and steampunk-infused fantasy. Fantasy General is available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span> are being published by GOG.com. We are happy to release these titles not on behalf of another party, but by acting as the sole publisher for the very first time!

Unleash your inner armchair general with <span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, available now, DRM-free on GOG.com!
JudasIscariot: Sure, but how do you deal with an INFINITE amount of 'em? :P
You just need to arm an infinite amount of monkeys. They'll have free time once they're done typing up the works of Shakespeare. :)
Pfft - I'll leave these unimportant details to you...

:D

Edit: these not this
Post edited May 05, 2015 by BreOl72
skeletonbow: Seriously though, this is very cool. Good luck finding the compilers/assemblers needed to actually successfully *compile* any of that code this long after the fact mind you, but source code is nice to have no matter what. ;o) Need any help porting them to Linux? ;oP
JudasIscariot: Our games programmers are quite smart so I think they'd be able to figure something out if something like this were to actually happen :)
Maybe, when possible, you could release the code as bonus content for people to fiddle around with. ;)
Barry_Woodward: Why hasn't the Discworld series been released digitally yet? Who owns the rights? Perhaps GOG can make it happen.

Discworld
Discworld II: Mortality Bytes!
Discworld Noir
I imagine this, along with some of the Star Trek games (the two Interplay adventure games, and the TNG adventure game) will never see the light of day due to rights likely being split between dev/game publisher, the owner of the brand / likeness rights (I've forgotten who publishes the Discworld novels & Paramount) and the voice actors.
IAmSinistar: You just need to arm an infinite amount of monkeys. They'll have free time once they're done typing up the works of Shakespeare. :)
Good luck finding that many, though :)
JudasIscariot: Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)
That's great.

So when are these showing up on Steam? *runs and hides*
JudasIscariot: Well, that's actually an interesting point :) This "GOG goes into publishing" thing is just the beginning for what we hope will be a very fruitful process regarding securing the rights to some classics that may not be completely abandoned but are up for sale for whatever reason :)
andysheets1975: That's great.

So when are these showing up on Steam? *runs and hides*
Haha ... it is great to think that Steam will have to pay gog if want these games now ! :p
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this release. I've been waiting for a very long time for these games to show up on GOG, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was when I saw them here. =) Enormous props to GOG for getting this release together! Though it's kind of disheartening that Ubisoft apparently considered them so worthless that they couldn't be bothered to release them themselves, I'm glad they were at least willing to sell the license to an interested party.

Since PGForever exists, I imagine GOG won't bother with acquiring/releasing the original Panzer General and Allied General. That said, this gives me hope that we will eventually see People's General here as well. Fingers crossed!

As for GOG going into publishing, it's a great move. However, I imagine GOG will still generally avoid publishing games themselves and will only resort to that in cases where they can acquire a game for cheap and/or the rights owner isn't willing or interested in a re-release.

GOG.com: Brought to you by GOG.com

<span class="bold">Pacific General</span> and <span class="bold">Fantasy General</span>, the accessible (...)
vicklemos: What are ya, trying to fool me, GOG? :P
=P

I know you're joking, but it's worth pointing out that "accessible" and "challenging" aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I think it's entirely fair to say that SSI's General series is arguably among the most accessible games in the genre; they're essentially wargames for the layperson. Not to say that they aren't tough, but compared to some of the other games like this, they tend to be a LOT less complex and bogged down in detail.
Congratulations on entering the world of game publishing, GOG! As the old adage goes, "If you want something done right, do it yourself!"

So, how common is this practice going to be? Could this potentially give some of the more obscure "abandonware" on the GOG Wishlist a higher chance of appearing here? Will GOG's publishing be exclusive to the site, or will there be a chance of these games going to other retailers?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a very interesting and exciting development.
Post edited May 05, 2015 by Tekkaman-James
MadalinStroe: Avencast.
Avencast already has a publisher; Meridian4.
Gandos: I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this release. I've been waiting for a very long time for these games to show up on GOG, so you can imagine how ecstatic I was when I saw them here. =) Enormous props to GOG for getting this release together! Though it's kind of disheartening that Ubisoft apparently considered them so worthless that they couldn't be bothered to release them themselves, I'm glad they were at least willing to sell the license to an interested party.

Since PGForever exists, I imagine GOG won't bother with acquiring/releasing the original Panzer General and Allied General. That said, this gives me hope that we will eventually see People's General here as well. Fingers crossed!

As for GOG going into publishing, it's a great move. However, I imagine GOG will still generally avoid publishing games themselves and will only resort to that in cases where they can acquire a game for cheap and/or the rights owner isn't willing or interested in a re-release.

vicklemos: What are ya, trying to fool me, GOG? :P
Gandos: =P

I know you're joking, but it's worth pointing out that "accessible" and "challenging" aren't mutually exclusive. In fact, I think it's entirely fair to say that SSI's General series is arguably among the most accessible games in the genre; they're essentially wargames for the layperson. Not to say that they aren't tough, but compared to some of the other games like this, they tend to be a LOT less complex and bogged down in detail.
Muchas gracias por el clarification, man.
After readind the word "accessible" I'm even more hyped, you know?
(*cough cough kids to raise too many deep games on the 'pile of shame' and in need of more precise stuff *cough cough) :P
andysheets1975: ... So when are these showing up on Steam? *runs and hides*
Maybe never, maybe in half a year,.... At least we know who decides it.
This is fantastic news. I hope this is this the start of a great many new games making their way to GOG and out of PC limbo. Could be great news for indies as well! I can't wait to see what the future holds for this.
MrFortyFive: ...Could be great news for indies as well! ...
You mean GOG becomes publisher for Indies?? This is risky. I would think several times before doing that. Investing in abandoned but top voted games from the wishlist seems still like a safer alternative.
THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO VERY MUCH GOG!

Thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you - thank you!

No go for Gold and give us Panzer General, Allied General, Peoples General, and hell, yes, even Star General!

Thank take a deep breath and release the Gold Box and all the other great SSI games, no matter HOW old and ugly they may look.

Biut for today: Thanks. Dankeschön! Merci! Ja dziękuję