It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
dtgreene: Is the character being male an essential part the story, or is that an unnecessary or irrelevant detail?

Edit: Reworded a bit.
Now that you put it that way, Orlando or, more recently, Steel Beach by John Varley, include sex changes that help widen the scope of the experiences of the protagonists. Actually, it is trivial in Varley's world (started with The Ophiuchi Hotline, followed by Stell Beach and then The Golden Globe).

It would not have been unthinkable that the original story would have included multiple sex changes along the history of the Nameless One. Magic abounds and even in BG there was a belt that changed your sex instantly and magically...

However, the writer of P:T decided not to include sex changes. There are tender stories with some girl, some woman... And then a more comrade-ly relationship to male party members. The Nameless One is a man. But, if you really wish to RP that he might have been a woman sometime, it might be possible.

You want to RP that The Nameless One is really a woman? It might work for you, though.

And this were my two cents on this, and I do not care for propaganda, be it from bigots, from lgtb or from aeiou.
low rated
This is nice news. I bought the original back in 2001 but didn't finish it until a couple years ago. I'll be buying this one eventually. I still haven't even beaten Baldur's Gate II yet and haven't gotten around to playing Pillars of Eternity.
Jeez, looks like Beamdog will add some annoying crap to the "enhanced" edition:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/27/planescape-enhanced-edition-changelog/

These are the 2 lamest changes IMO:

- Character Creation: The Nameless One is now nameable

WTF? If you've played through PS:T you know that the nameless one has no name for good reasons. You can get to know his name if your INT is high enough at the end of the game. If you can now name your character one of the most interesting things in PS:T will be ruined.

- New Romance: The Lady of Pain

Why? The mysterious Lady of Pain is one of my favorite elements in PS:T. Having the option to have a romance with her just seems out of place.

So if these 2 and some other changes are not optional then this "enhanced" edition will be just as bad as i expected from Beamdog. They just have to ruin a good game with unwanted changes as it seems. :/
low rated
A; You don't have to name the nameless one
B. I presume the Lady of Pain romance is a opitional quest.
Anyway, these changes were made by the Game's creator.
The soundtrack will be available on GoG?
low rated
Herrick: This is nice news. I bought the original back in 2001 but didn't finish it until a couple years ago. I'll be buying this one eventually. I still haven't even beaten Baldur's Gate II yet and haven't gotten around to playing Pillars of Eternity.
As you write this, your rep is 41.

Just measuring the downvoting effort. Are the haters going to bed? Are they being replace with fresh haters? Did they hate enough for today? Are their opinions not so much important?

You see, BD haters are systematically upvoted, while those whou write something as benign as "I like it" or "I will buy it" get massively downvoted. Thought fodder for a shrink? maybe ;)
Pangaea666: Also completely and utterly disgusting. Whatever the reason for this, SHAME ON YOU GOG. And more importantly, SHAME ON SHITEDOG for ass-raping yet another classic. Where will it end? Use the constitution of the United States as toilet paper? I'm sure it would be great. And you could charge TWICE THE PRICE for it. Great deals. Lots of great deals...
It's not GOG's fault (for the most part) - it's perhaps a combination of Beamdog and Wizards of the Coast.
high rated
You know, back in the day just having that hunk of a man Avellone dangled in front of me was enough to get me to throw my money at something, let alone mentioning the fact I've got a limited time discount for being a loyal customer.

... dammit, I'm getting old.

As for this game and the topic of Beamdog in general? No thanks, I'm good. I'm of the camp that the old versions work fine as it is, with certain debate on whether modding is required or not being another matter, so I've just kept the EE's and whatever related shenanigans off my radar as a whole. That, and I'm fairly certain this version would look like ass on my CRT monitor :3

On the plus side, I'm kinda looking forward to having 'Planescape: Classic' in my library.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by SenorFluffypants
Impaler26: - Character Creation: The Nameless One is now nameable
He seems like a "Bert".
kwerboom: I'm thinking of picking this up just because of how hard it is to get the original running on my Windows 10 machine. I realize that Beamdog has a bad reputation for broken EE and terrible fan fiction like Dragonspear. That said if there was any EE version I was going to go in on, I think it would have to be this one. Going to sleep on that though.
I have the original running on Windows 10, modded as per the GOG guide which took under 10 minutes to do and it plays just fine. The only issue I had was getting a happy balance between higher resolution and being able to see the UI!

I'm not against the EEs - I own the enhanced versions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale and I will most likely buy this one and Siege of Dragonspear at some point in the future. I just think it's sad that the originals will not be available separately anymore. They are/were much cheaper than the new versions and may be the only versions some people would be able to afford.

Not to mention we'll never see the classic D & D bundle in the sales again - that was my first ever purchase here so I'm a little bit sentimental about that! ;-)
high rated
Impaler26: Jeez, looks like Beamdog will add some annoying crap to the "enhanced" edition:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/03/27/planescape-enhanced-edition-changelog/

WTF? If you've played through PS:T you know that the nameless one has no name for good reasons. You can get to know his name if your INT is high enough at the end of the game. If you can now name your character one of the most interesting things in PS:T will be ruined.

Why? The mysterious Lady of Pain is one of my favorite elements in PS:T. Having the option to have a romance with her just seems out of place.

So if these 2 and some other changes are not optional then this "enhanced" edition will be just as bad as i expected from Beamdog. They just have to ruin a good game with unwanted changes as it seems. :/
Read it again. That whole article is obviously a joke.
low rated
I bought a copy, so that I can enjoy Planescape Torment. Feel free to downvote, anonymous cowards: It just proves that you lack reason and guts.

For anyone who wants the facts with a slice of snark:

TORMENT ENHANCED PROS:
*Widescreen, more resolutions, text size, and other options.
*Native compatibility for modern hardware & OS.
*Remastered soundtrack.
*Bug fixes, including those from modders.
*Redone interface.
*Available for additional platforms, including Macintosh, Linux, Android, and iOS.
*Supporting Beamdog.

ENHANCED TORMENT CONS
*Pricey.
*Might have to wait a couple months to be stabilized by patching.
*Doesn't include cut material like that from the Unfinished Business mod.
*The original version can't be bought separately.
*Supporting Beamdog.
*Enable content meddling headed by Chris Avellone.
*Steals the sweat, tears, and blood of modders*.
*Allows a wider audience to enjoy Planescape Torment.

ORIGINAL TORMENT PROS
*Experience the joys of modding and troubleshooting.
*Relive the glory days of PC gaming.
*Support the original creators**.
*Be the toast of the town at RPGCodex.

*The modders have granted permission to use their materials for the Enhanced Edition. Utilize hallucinogens to alter their decision.

**The reality of the games industry may apply. Correct with an excessive amount of alcoholic beverages.
Impaler26: Jeez, looks like Beamdog will add some annoying crap to the "enhanced" edition:

Those seem pretty obviously fake to me.
low rated
dtgreene: Is the character being male an essential part the story, or is that an unnecessary or irrelevant detail?

Edit: Reworded a bit.
Carradice: Now that you put it that way, Orlando or, more recently, Steel Beach by John Varley, include sex changes that help widen the scope of the experiences of the protagonists. Actually, it is trivial in Varley's world (started with The Ophiuchi Hotline, followed by Stell Beach and then The Golden Globe).

It would not have been unthinkable that the original story would have included multiple sex changes along the history of the Nameless One. Magic abounds and even in BG there was a belt that changed your sex instantly and magically...

However, the writer of P:T decided not to include sex changes. There are tender stories with some girl, some woman... And then a more comrade-ly relationship to male party members. The Nameless One is a man. But, if you really wish to RP that he might have been a woman sometime, it might be possible.

You want to RP that The Nameless One is really a woman? It might work for you, though.

And this were my two cents on this, and I do not care for propaganda, be it from bigots, from lgtb or from aeiou.
The way I would handle it is something like this:

* Give The Nameless One an androgynous appearance. This way, one can't tell just by looking whether TNO is male or female.

* Avoid any references to TNO's gender in the game's text. (Note that this may prove to be extremely difficult in some languages.) This way, one can't determine TNO's gender through text.

* Avoid any situations where TNO's gender would actually matter.

This way, we would keep TNO's gender shrouded in mystery, just like TNO's name and history. I think that would suit the game's premise more than gendering TNO.

lordpterias: Read it again. That whole article is obviously a joke.
I'm not British, but the word "plonker" comes to mind. :)
EDIT: Removed utterly redundant link.

Sabin_Stargem: ENHANCED TORMENT CONS
[...]
*Allows a wider audience to enjoy Planescape Torment.
That's a CON?

Sabin_Stargem: ORIGINAL TORMENT PROS
[...]
*Be the toast of the town at RPGCodex.
That's a PRO?
Post edited March 29, 2017 by HunchBluntley