It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The legend is reborn.

<span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span>, the return of the most celebrated RPG of all time, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 30% discount for owners of the original!

A layered story laced with philosophical undercurrents. A fantasy setting unlike any other. One of the most memorable casts of eccentric, interconnected characters. This is Planescape: Torment, the gold standard for narrative-driven RPGs of the past 18 years. And now it's back!
Beamdog and lead designer <span class="bold">Chris Avellone</span> joined forces to update the game with fixes, enhancements, and key additions, all in sync with the original vision of this timeless masterpiece. With a remastered soundtrack, a crisp 4K interface, and neat convenience features, the Enhanced Edition is coming to captivate a new audience and remind its dedicated fans why they just seem unable to take it off their all-time favorites list.

The 30% discount for owners of <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment</span> will last until April 4, 9 PM UTC.

Note: <span class="bold">Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition</span> will feature the unaltered original version and the Enhanced Edition in one definitive collection exclusively on GOG.com. The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.

<div class="embedded_video">
<iframe class="embedded_video__file" width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wvsqfuRHmb8?wmode=opaque&amp;rel=0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
Post edited March 29, 2017 by maladr0Id
high rated
clarry: Now the drama concerning SoD has also made people sour, for good reason or not, I cannot say because I have not played the expansion. Thing is, people will remember. If you make them sour and negative and that negativity will be there the next time the same company releases something. Gamers aren't quick to forgive.
Good post.

Companies can get away with this if they produce an excellent product... like a sports star with an ego. If your product is buggy and you turn on your customers that ill-will is going to stick.
low rated
clarry: People are happier if they are given the option to vote with their wallet (even if that means little) and still get the game.
Well, as said, the EE were buggy at start, but I found it much better now.

Also I don t care about the presumed sexism of Dragon spear and friends (we have decads of fantasy iconography with naked women and ironclad men, to not speak about cosplayers... God).

The point for me is, that Beamdog is not only uplifting tbe games, they are expanding and modernizing the game engine to create new content.
Compared to a pillar of eternitythat I didn t appreciate much, and still has a huge price tag, I prefer beamdog.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by OldOldGamer
low rated
clarry: Imagine how different the tone could be if the originals were still available separately, at their original price. Now people could get an awesome game for awesome price, or a few "fixes" for much more than the price of original. See now? I think a lot of people would opt to stick with the originals, especially after reading reviews of the EEs. People are happier if they are given the option to vote with their wallet (even if that means little) and still get the game.
Thanks for the reply - but is 13-14 euros that much? For a 50+ hours of gameplay, all this work put into making this a game that's (more or less) user-friendly in 2017? As I said, average gamer nowadays won't be eager to mess with all mods and stuff like that just to see the game in higher resolution, with usable menus, stackable items and such improvements that make the game not so much 1999, not to mention other mods? And is the price reallyy that high when compared to other 'remakes' - HoMM for example?
Besides, I'm rather sure that everyone who wanted to own original version already does, it's been on countless sales in GOG alone, with price sometimes down to a 1 euro.
Robette: However, what I find also very noteworthy is that I feel like I can usually tell when content was added by beamdog, may it be dialogue, characters (who usually can be told apart by the different portrait style anyway), or environments. That's not really a plus.
Carradice: Just mentioning that, in maintenance and preservation of art works (such as ancient paintings), the rule nowadays is restoring the damaged portions so that the piece of art can be enjoyed as a whole, but using a different technique (often pointillism) so that the public can still tell the difference between the added portions and the original ones, but only if they pay attention.

This works also in archaeological restoration: The idea is making the restoration transparent to the viewer, showing what was done if you pay attention, while providing a supporting art/craftmanship frame for you to enjoy the original more than you would without the restoration effort.

Does it make sense in games? It works for me...
Maybe... I think that is certainly an interesting take on it. I just would be surprised if it was such a conscious choice and not rather flawed imitation.
high rated
clarry: Imagine how different the tone could be if the originals were still available separately, at their original price. Now people could get an awesome game for awesome price, or a few "fixes" for much more than the price of original. See now? I think a lot of people would opt to stick with the originals, especially after reading reviews of the EEs. People are happier if they are given the option to vote with their wallet (even if that means little) and still get the game.
fgorczynski: Thanks for the reply - but is 13-14 euros that much? For a 50+ hours of gameplay, all this work put into making this a game that's (more or less) user-friendly in 2017? As I said, average gamer nowadays won't be eager to mess with all mods and stuff like that just to see the game in higher resolution, with usable menus, stackable items and such improvements that make the game not so much 1999, not to mention other mods? And is the price reallyy that high when compared to other 'remakes' - HoMM for example?
Besides, I'm rather sure that everyone who wanted to own original version already does, it's been on countless sales in GOG alone, with price sometimes down to a 1 euro.
Woosh.

Please, please read me again. You seem to be missing the point I made more than once. The issue is not the price itself, as I already said. The issue people have is having to pay extra for nothing, for a company that has done nothing for them. People don't like being forced into that.

And then woosh again. The point I'm trying to make in that last paragraph is that if they truly think people *want* to pay extra for the fixes, they could stand behind that belief and give people the option to *not* pay that extra, and only get the original. Then we'd see. As I say, I suspect a lot of people would stick with the originals, because the fixes are not worth it. And they would be happier overall, because they wouldn't be forced to pay more for nothing.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by clarry
low rated
clarry: The issue people have is having to pay extra for nothing, for a company that has done nothing for you.
I guess this is the point on which we disagree the most. I really like what Beamdog's done to make EE's what they are, I believe this was quite a piece of work, I appreciate their work and I'm willing to pay for it. I've played all their EE's and SoD and I liked/loved them (SoD is quite good even though it lacks certain fluidity of story and sometimes feels like the authors could find a way to connect the plot pieces smoothly).
Salmanasar: Their "remasters" are buggy as hell, sometimes to the point when old, unaltered version works better. They're also banning people who point's that out or just disagree with them on their official forum.

Oh, and they LOVE to force their political ideologies to the fantasy games, like forcing existing companions from BG to talk about what is gender etc, like D&D was ever giving a s*** about it. In Torments case, they may cover Ahnas breast because its "offensive for woman and its 2017!" or smth
I've never played it, but my own logic would not assume they are covered but instead they would be enhanced, because it's the Enhanced Edition. And considering they added a zoom-out feature, that might be because the enhanced view wouldn't fit on the screen without the zoom-out feature.

Again, I haven't played the original, and the Enhanced Edition is yet to be released, and I'm definitely not arguing with your logic, but instead I'm just sharing my logic if I were to worry about a worse case scenario.
Strange how things work... one week I complain that there are too many non-fantasy-war/combat-oriented releases (delta force, army men) that don't interest me. A week later and I'm almost $30 lighter, and that's BEFORE getting this one. Which I'm seriously considering. I got to about one third in the original PST, then I got distracted by some other shiny game. I still have the saves, but I doubt I could get back into the game after all that time without just following the walkthrough. This might be good chance to repent and correct my sin and have another attempt at it.
JKeift: Been reading the FAQ: https://www.beamdog.com/planescape_faq

... and I'm a little worried about achievements and cloud saves being exclusive to Steam. Wasn't the point of GOG Galaxy to actually have those features, particularly in newer games?
I hope Beamdog will add both features going forward. The hype justifies the means.

A little shitty though, that Steam gets the soundtrack. GOG used to be the place where gamers would get plenty of juicy extras. These days no or paid extras seem to be the norm :(
Post edited March 29, 2017 by amurgaming
high rated
Fuck Beamdog. Them fuckers can go burn in a dumpster fire. I refuse to support them people that are ruining these amazing games with their "Enhanced Editions" which are just really crap and buggy version of the originals with visuals that, somehow, look worse. I can't believe they finally got their greasy paws on Planscape. And here I was hoping that that and Neverwinter Nights would never be touched by them. Beamdog are just wanna modders who try to sell their shit as legit and then silence any type of constructive criticism because they think they are above their customers.

Also, why the hell is GOG merging the two? That's the biggest reason why I refuse to buy either of the Baldur's Gate games and the first Icewind Dale.
Please Beamdog - fix your bugs BEFORE release, thankyou!
high rated
Dizzy_Gear: Also, why the hell is GOG merging the two?
That's Beamdog's and/or Wizard's decision. They don't want you to buy the old game when they can sell you the Enhanced Edition for double or triple the price. It is also why you cannot buy many older games like Strife or System Shock in their original version, but at least those two were never sold in their original form online.
*edited

The original game will no longer be available for purchase on its own, after the Enhanced Edition is released. Owners of the classic Planescape: Torment will not be affected by upcoming changes to the product.
Post edited March 29, 2017 by iRevolt
low rated
Dizzy_Gear: Fuck Beamdog. Them fuckers can go burn in a dumpster fire.
First I thought, "15 o'clock, school's out". Then I noticed you're from the US. :)
high rated
There doesn't seem to be any reason to buy this enhanced version. Like with the other Infinity Engine games Beamdog has "enhanced" they can be quickly brought up to date with resolution mods and fan patches.