It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Gersen: Version 1.3 Just got released, here is the changes list (copy & pasted from Notch blog):

* Implemented a new lighting engine with the help of MrMessiahs (can be turned off)
* Changed the options around, added a new “Graphics options” button
* Added beds. If all players in a map sleeps in a bed during night, the game immediately skips until morning
* Added three new half-size blocks
* Added Delay/Repeater redstone dust blocks
* Added whitelisting to the server. To use, enter “whitelist <cmd>” where cmd is “on”, “off”, “add <player>”, “remove <player>”, “list” or “reload”
* New save file format, old maps need to be converted (that might take a while..)
* It’s now possible to have more than five save slots, and to rename saves
* Scrollbars in both the texture pack list, and in the map selection screen
* Replaced the Mojang splash image to reflect the new logo colors
* .. and a bunch of bug fixes and tweaks!
WOOT! I can now sleep away the zombie madness.
Damnit! They've fixed the "wood blocks can burn forever bug". Goodbye, my beautiful greenhouse :-(
Attachments:
The beds work. They work well. However, I'd recommend a 3-block-high wall, not the old minimum of 2 blocks, or you'll get stuck. And possibly suffocated, although I didn't wait around to find out.
Wishbone: Damnit! They've fixed the "wood blocks can burn forever bug". Goodbye, my beautiful greenhouse :-(
...that was a BUG? How can we make fireplaces now?
Post edited February 22, 2011 by Runehamster
Wishbone: Damnit! They've fixed the "wood blocks can burn forever bug". Goodbye, my beautiful greenhouse :-(
Runehamster: ...that was a BUG? How can we make fireplaces now?
Lava, I suppose.
Netherack it's supposed to burn forever IRC.
Gersen: Netherack it's supposed to burn forever IRC.
Ohhh right. I wouldn't know, strangely I've never even seen obsidian.
Gersen: Netherack it's supposed to burn forever IRC.
Yeah, but there's no Nether in MP yet. And my greenhouse is on my gaming community's server :-(

Two of us, completely independent of each other, managed to find obsidian and build a portal, only to find out that they don't work in multiplayer. So now our server has two non-functional portals :-/
Runehamster: Ohhh right. I wouldn't know, strangely I've never even seen obsidian.
You can make it, you know. Just pour water on a lava source block.
Post edited February 22, 2011 by Wishbone
The best way to make obsidian is IMO to mine lava with buckets and pour it in a one-block large hole. Then pour water next to it (not directly on top of it, that just creates cobblestone), so that it flows over the lava. Voila! Instant obsidian.

Netherrack is great. It burns forever and it's incredibly quick to mine (much quicker than dirt with a shovel). The only disadvantage is that you have to go to the nether to get it, and.. well, the nether is kinda crap, with very little else of interest.

Ironically it's far safer than the real world if you're mining, because the only dangerous monsters are the giant flying ones. There's no risk of anything spawning in your tunnels, even if you don't bother with torches. Though I guess this will be changed after a while.

As for the update, well, I like the idea behind the bed (I actually suggested it last year). But there seems to be a bug which insta-spawns a monster on top of the bed whenever I try to go to sleep, even if my room is completely safe. Oh well. At least I had some fun placing beds in my various bases. Minecraft needs more useful items to put in your bases, so that they become more like actual homes instead of simple storage facilities.
I'm liking the new lighting engine. The old one made my place look all blocky. Imagine that!
Zeewolf: Minecraft needs more useful items to put in your bases, so that they become more like actual homes instead of simple storage facilities.
Definitely! One of my great disappointments when I last built a huge castle was the lack of stuff to fill the rooms. Made it seem rather pointless.
Too bad sleeping doesn't regenerate health. But, mods'll fix that.;)
Just realised when attempting to make a bed (and failing) that it's because of my texture pack...

This is gonna require a bit of work. Dang.
In my quest to get at least one of every block and every item (on hard without dying), I have just made cake.

Anyway, I approve of the bed. Nice for adventuring as well - just bring along a bed and a couple of blocks, and at night wall yourself in and sleep.
Zchinque: Anyway, I approve of the bed. Nice for adventuring as well - just bring along a bed and a couple of blocks, and at night wall yourself in and sleep.
Too bad the bed is bugged.
I mean, clearly it's a bugger in SMP, time warp, etc. But in SSP, the time compression works wonky. I've thought of waiting out, until my furnace does all my iron. Well, i've placed my ore and coal in and slowly went to bed. When i woke up i had 1 iron ore done. Kinda disappointing.
Nor does it heal, nor does it warp time well enough.;P

But it's a nice idea, i'm waiting for the chair and a TV. :D
I always get a bit disappointed when I find cool looking places, and on closer inspection there is really nothing there.

Like once, I found a big (6x6 or so) hole in the ground. It was pitch black inside, and it had what resembled stairs going downwards. Turned out the stairs went about 7-8 levels down, and then there was nothing.

And now when mining I came across this huge lavafall in the picture. As you can see in the picture there is also a bit of water. As I worked my way down, that turned out to be a slightly less huge waterfall standing directly in opposition to the lavafall. When I got down to the bottom, there was some coblestone from where they met, and other than that absolutely nothing in a 5x5 square. :(
Attachments:
lavafall.jpg (345 Kb)