It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Final pre-release update and price increase coming August 16.

So much has been happening with We Happy Few since the title joined Games in Development, but this journey is almost at its end. As the full game's release approaches, developers Compulsion Games are beginning revealed their plans for the near future.

The final in-development update "Life in Technicolor" is dropping August 16, introducing new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (still WIP), AI reworks and much more. This date also marks the previously-announced price change – jumping to $50.99 (or your local equivalent).

You can read the full announcement here.

If you've been on the fence, this is a great time to hop over – and stay tuned for more info coming soon!
_ChaosFox_: The funny thing is, I'm anxiously awaiting the 16th just to find out what the reason is behind the price hike. I'm not all that compelled by the game itself, especially not at that price.
groze: Makes sense to me. And it's still better than my reasons to wait for tomorrow, which are basically the chances to say 'CALLED IT!' and 'THIS is the reason you're selling your game for 50 bucks?!'... so I guess I'm being a hypocritical douche, all things considered, when I'm asking people in here to give Compulsion Games the benefit of the doubt.
That's totally fair - if you don't want to buy in at this price, that's cool. If the game's not for you, that's cool too. And you may well be able to say "called it!" At least one person in this thread has been right, although not for the reasons they think.

If we can have more intelligent discussion about why business decisions get made as a result of this thread, then I'll feel pretty good about that.
ResidentX84: You guys should see the price raise for the Xbox version! It went up from $29.99 to $59.99 in the US and from 29.99€ to around 69€ (that are 81$) in the German/Austrian Store!
That's mistake on MS' part - a day earlier than it should be, and not fully accurate either.

Jeez, you work on an announcement/cool things in secret for a year and then things like this happen.
Post edited August 15, 2017 by Manywhelps
Manywhelps: At least one person in this thread has been right, although not for the reasons they think.
It's the eclipse, isn't it? :P

(I think I *do* know who was right, though. Probably not me, but let's wait until tomorrow).
ResidentX84: You guys should see the price raise for the Xbox version! It went up from $29.99 to $59.99 in the US and from 29.99€ to around 69€ (that are 81$) in the German/Austrian Store!
Yeah. €68.49 to be precise. Given that VERY few AAA games release for this price on disc (most in Germany are €60), I hope Compulsion isn't hoping to get much in the way of sales there. If they do the same price on GOG & Steam, they can kiss goodbye to recouping development costs.
Manywhelps: God damn I wrote a whole post and lost it. Gah!

I don't like "convincing" at this stage, to be honest. I'll say what I love about it:
- the silliness, the charm and the heart present in our encounters and our world. Our writers, LDs, artists etc have created a really fun, unique world, and I think this is what most people love about it.
- the procedural gen, because nobody has really attempted to do what we're doing and carve a linear story, with required features, into a procedural game. Most procedural games just randomly scatter things, or pick and choose - they don't try to segment things like we have. Still have a way to go on this, but I think it's really neat.

But to be honest, you should be asking existing players what they think. They'll have a more objective opinion than I will.

No demo, but you can always buy/refund if you don't like it.

The game will run on your PC. Your graphics card is around twice as powerful as our min spec, so you'll likely run reasonable well on medium settings. Please keep in mind that we're still in development, and performance will change (hopefully improve) as we approach release.

Edit: I just want to add that the reason I don't like to "convince" people is that I'd rather the game speaks for itself.
Bought it .
These are basically the speculations about the reasons that Manywhelps could be referring to:

Robette: ...the early bird tier is meant to incentivize people to pay attention, or just pledge at a very early stage of the kickstarter signaling momentum to others...
yogsloth: ...wanting to monetize your product...
babby: I wonder if charging 70% more will make the game less mediocre and unfinished.
Pawel1995: Thinking that not way less people will buy the product in the future for $50 than $30 now in the beta/alpha phase, just to secure financial stability of their company/team.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: If they wanted to sell a lot of We Happy Few at $30 USD, IMO then they never should have included either "open world" or "procedural generation," and instead they should have made a hand-crafted world in which the gameplay is heavily integrated with the story most of the time. To try to sell the game at $51 USD despite it not having a hand-crafted world which is heavily integrated with storytelling elements...I don't see how that could possibly work out.
groze: Plus, at $50 an 85% discount still equals $7.50. A whole lot of people would buy it for 8 bucks and give Compulsion loads of money. They do know this. And they *will* go this route, sooner than later.
DeMignon: The high price aside, in my opinion it's rather fair to offer in-dev games for less than the full release. I'd appreciate to see this approach on more titles instead of cashing in with pre-orders and steep price drops a few months after release.
groze: I'm really inclined to think the price increase's "main reason [they] can't mention until the 16th" has something to do with the game being picked up by one of the "major" studios (my bet is on Microsoft, considering the relationship Compulsion Games has with them, and how well they've spoken about Microsoft Game Preview -- and how much this program "helped them").
mechmouse: Multiplayer...its got to be multiplayer (with LAN).
_ChaosFox_: These are basically the speculations about the reasons that Manywhelps could be referring to:
(...)
mechmouse: Multiplayer...its got to be multiplayer (with LAN).
_ChaosFox_:
It's not multiplayer, though, as much as mechmouse wanted it to be.

Also, someone in another thread mentioned a rumour about a movie tie-in, TV show, or whatever. Not particularly relevant, I guess, since Manywhelps specifically mentioned *this* thread.
Post edited August 15, 2017 by groze
I bought the game on Humble because it worked out cheaper as a monthly subscriber. It really needs the story added imo and then it could be worth the new price. At the moment it's a cool sandbox game and worth the current price but from exploring and absorbing the radio broadcasts/reading letters etc I've become interested in the setting and would like to experience it in more than snippets. It feels like being a civilian in a classic Doctor Who episode, specifically the Happiness Patrol, but there's no hero appearing to save the day.
amcdermo: I bought the game on Humble because it worked out cheaper as a monthly subscriber. It really needs the story added imo and then it could be worth the new price. At the moment it's a cool sandbox game and worth the current price but from exploring and absorbing the radio broadcasts/reading letters etc I've become interested in the setting and would like to experience it in more than snippets. It feels like being a civilian in a classic Doctor Who episode, specifically the Happiness Patrol, but there's no hero appearing to save the day.
That's a cool way of describing it.

Yeah I think we'll have trouble explaining "story is coming, it's probably not worth the full amount right now but it will be!". You guys are all right about that. Unfortunately, as I'll explain tomorrow, we don't have much of a choice.
Manywhelps: Jeez, you work on an announcement/cool things in secret for a year and then things like this happen.
Murphy's Law is everywhere.
hfric: The only good game that came out of In-dev was KONA ... but stunts like this stink
So far:
Kona
The Long Dark
The Solus Project
...are all very good, released indev games.

I have high hopes for Ghost of a Tale and Exanima as well.

amcdermo: I bought the game on Humble because it worked out cheaper as a monthly subscriber. It really needs the story added imo and then it could be worth the new price. At the moment it's a cool sandbox game and worth the current price but from exploring and absorbing the radio broadcasts/reading letters etc I've become interested in the setting and would like to experience it in more than snippets. It feels like being a civilian in a classic Doctor Who episode, specifically the Happiness Patrol, but there's no hero appearing to save the day.
Manywhelps: That's a cool way of describing it.

Yeah I think we'll have trouble explaining "story is coming, it's probably not worth the full amount right now but it will be!". You guys are all right about that. Unfortunately, as I'll explain tomorrow, we don't have much of a choice.
So I bought it (and I've only bought 5 other in-dev titles so far, which are each excellent, 3 released already) - I really hope it will be a nice surprise... :)
Post edited August 15, 2017 by IFW
hfric: The only good game that came out of In-dev was KONA ... but stunts like this stink
IFW: So far:
Kona
The Long Dark
The Solus Project
...are all very good, released indev games.

I have high hopes for Ghost of a Tale and Exanima as well.

Manywhelps: That's a cool way of describing it.

IFW: So I bought it (and I've only bought 5 other in-dev titles so far, which are each excellent, 3 released already) - I really hope it will be a nice surprise... :)
I hope we do you proud.

To everyone else here, thank you all for your patience. Tomorrow probably won't make many of you happy. I may not convince you of what we want do to, and why we want to do it. But I want to thank you for keeping an open mind, and I'll be here to explain, firestorm or no, as a result. I'll be as open as I can be about everything.

- Sam
Manywhelps: I hope we do you proud.
As you can see Im going to trust you (click the image below) you've been open and your activity on the forums and blogs and connection with the fans has earned that trust... I'm very happy at the moment to see whats next. ^_^

I've been lurking, watching let's plays following since day one, even getting live updates on steamspy... and tonight I am finally pulling the trigger, or maybe taking the pill?

Can't wait to see whats next. Again thank you for your transparency on this and the heads-up.
Attachments:
whf.png (90 Kb)
Post edited August 16, 2017 by Starkrun
Dev now pre-empting shitstorm... this ought to be interesting....
(FYI bought into the concept when WHF was first released as in-dev... but tend to wait till release to play)
Manywhelps: I hope we do you proud.

To everyone else here, thank you all for your patience. Tomorrow probably won't make many of you happy. I may not convince you of what we want do to, and why we want to do it. But I want to thank you for keeping an open mind, and I'll be here to explain, firestorm or no, as a result. I'll be as open as I can be about everything.

- Sam
I just wanted to say 'thank you' for being here, even if the environment in these forums is hostile and unwelcoming -- something I am also to blame, at least in regards to this announcement. I won't keep repeating what I feel and think about all of this whole debacle, it stopped being constructive a long time ago. All I want to do is to wish you and your team the best of luck. I mean it. I believe in supporting developers that treat their customers with respect, and you have proven to all those of us who cared to see that Compulsion is an honest studio that just wants its game to be the best it can possibly be. And maybe some of us won't agree with the way you're trying to do that, but your heart is in the right place, even if your decisions end up putting some people off. Hopefully, it will also bring others along.

For what it's worth, I still think We Happy Few looks very interesting, it still has the potential to be a great game. I love the setting, the premise, the art direction is phenomenal and makes the game not looking "all that impressive" from a technical standpoint completely irrelevant -- this is proof of an awesome art team.

I hope you manage to get some much needed rest, tonight, to be all ready for tomorrow's announcement (it's today's announcement, to me :P ). Some people will be mad at you, others will probably just shrug at it, I can kind of predict all of this happening. But others might also react positively to the announcement, that's also likely to happen.

I sincerely apologize for the times I was a cynical, sardonic snob bent on being antagonistic and contrarian. My opinions and thoughts remain largely the same, mind you, but it's not fair being rude and exuding so much bile towards someone who always tried to engage people in civil conversation and who has always been as forthcoming and honest as they could, given the circumstances. I know that, at this point, it doesn't matter much, but I *am* sorry for the way I handled this.

Without a single drop of malice, I wish you all the best of luck for tomorrow; I believe you will need it.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by groze
high rated
Starkrun: Can't wait to see whats next. Again thank you for your transparency on this and the heads-up.
Transparency? "We are gonig to raise the price for a very good reason, bu we can't tell you until after we've done it" is transparency? They need to show more than empty promises and a broken demo before they jack the price up to be more than The Witcher 3 GOTY. Let that sink in.

This game was successfully crowdfunded and has had some fairly good sales numbers on Steam (and possibly here, I can't check those numbers) and yet, they want more money, claiming that they've made updates to an Early Access title (In Dev) without raising the price. Kudos, they've continued proper development of their less than half-finished (already fully-funded) game that they have the nerve to charge people $30 to beta test for them and are wanting praise for not charging more for significant improvement, then using this as a partial justification of a price hike? This unfinished buggy mess will cost more than one of the best games ever made in its complete edition with all its DLCs (Witcher 3 GOTY). Given the choice of which to purchase, I can't see how anyone could choose We Happy Few over some of the absolute great games (Hellblade comes to mind) that release for less money.

Sounds like the dev team has been overdosing on their Joy.
Post edited August 16, 2017 by paladin181