It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Final pre-release update and price increase coming August 16.

So much has been happening with We Happy Few since the title joined Games in Development, but this journey is almost at its end. As the full game's release approaches, developers Compulsion Games are beginning revealed their plans for the near future.

The final in-development update "Life in Technicolor" is dropping August 16, introducing new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (still WIP), AI reworks and much more. This date also marks the previously-announced price change – jumping to $50.99 (or your local equivalent).

You can read the full announcement here.

If you've been on the fence, this is a great time to hop over – and stay tuned for more info coming soon!
Redfern: Yeah, right, price increase. And no trace of promised Linux support.
No Linux = No Money.
Manywhelps: We've said for two years that Linux support is likely on or shortly after the 1.0 release. Next week is not the 1.0 release.

You don't have to give us any money, but please don't spread misinformation. If you want to know about linux or anything else about our game, I check the WHF gog forums once / day - you just have to ask rather than assume.
For the umpteenth time. First you finish the game, THEN you release it.

Would be 'funny' to try this douchebag approach in another industry. "I bought some trousers from you last year, any idea when the 2nd leg will be done? Not yet, but in a year or two we'll be installing zippers. Naturally it will cost you, but you want zippers, right? Or buttons?"
hummer010: You folks removing this from your wishlist based on a price increase use your wishlist different than I do.
MarkoH01: It's not really because I don't ant that gamne anymore. I simply don't want to support the devs anymore - not even accidentally. So if it goes off my wishlist I make sure that they don't get any money. I love my principles and my morals and there are many great devs out there which games I would buy twice just to support them. Especially indie devs should value their potential buyers and I cannot see this here.

Manywhelps: Hey folks, I realise there's a fair bit of concern from you guys here. I'd like to answer some of your questions, if you don't mind.

We'll be discussing why we're raising the price on the 16th, along with some announcements on that date, and a new update. Unfortunately I can't talk about that stuff until the 16th - we opted to give everyone notice of the price raise instead of keeping it quiet until then.

We've posted every week in the game's sub forum for the past few months, answering all the (few) questions you guys had. So I hope that shows how much we value open communication.

Ask away.
MarkoH01: If your game hasn't gone off my wishlist already because of this "stunt" it would now. Devs not being transparent is the other thing that I hate. Hope you have more luck with future games (in case you earn enough to even make another game). Bye.
It's not a stunt, it's being transparent about a price increase. We'll be even more transparent next week.

I'd like to get to the bottom of why you (and others here) don't like this. Right now, I think you're upset because you don't like price increases, period. But that's clearly not reasonable - there are a number of very good reasons why we're doing this (more discussion next week, but there are hints in my previous answers). I appreciate that's hard to hear until we explain the full picture.

If you have more specific feedback I'm really happy to hear it and answer it, but if you just don't like price increases... can't do much about that.
THIS is a stunt.

I wonder if the pilot knows those guys are up there.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by tinyE
Manywhelps: If you have more specific feedback I'm really happy to hear it and answer it, but if you just don't like price increases... can't do much about that.
Games content and price fit togther well as it stands... but it sounds like some great stuff is coming that warrants an increase... that said I'm super excited and can't wait to see whats next for We Happy Few... As dev's you guys have always been upfront and honest and never pulled a punch. Thank you for that, and please don't let the forum goers get to you, they are a small subset of your fans and others that will purchase the game.

Again thank you for being so transparent and giving us all a heads up!
Post edited August 12, 2017 by Starkrun
groze: But I still say that, despite the "dishonesty" of not being able to tell us *why* the price increase and the reason behind it (which makes it look even more like some corporate agreement bullshit, in line with my guess that they're being picked up by a major publisher -- in which case they should tone done passing this as "good news", in my opinion), they're at least being honest by telling us this will happen and how much the game will sell for, instead of just dropping it on the customers come next August 16th. Sure, we could argue this is but a marketing technique in order to get some much needed cash flow by appealing to people who want the game but won't buy it for $50; this is a legitimate thought, but ultimately falls in line with the delusion of persecution I mentioned earlier, which makes us think of all studios as "EVIL" and greedy and out to get us, innocent and gullible paying customers. Plus, Manywhelps already made it clear this isn't about cash flow, and I have no reason not to trust them, if I'm not being paranoid about how all devs are so disrespectful and dishonest.

All in all, I think we *should* let them know we're buying or not buying their game. They seem to take criticism to heart, unlike other studios, and I'm pretty sure the folks at Compulsion Games are at least considering the weight and proportions of this decision because of all the people who now won't even buy their game (like you and me), and that's something, at least.

[EDIT] By "considering the weight and proportions of this decision" I don't mean to suggest I think Compulsion will pull a 180º and back down from this move; the price hike *is* going to happen, that's not debatable at this point; all I mean is that I'm sure at least some folks at Compulsion are thinking about this move and how right or wrong it was. But, continuing to be a smart-ass about it, like I've been doing since yesterday, it's likely that Microsoft won't let them sell the game for less than the 50 buckazoids. :P
Just want to reiterate, this is not about cashflow. This is about advising players that the price is going up with enough time that they can make a call whether they want to buy or not. Players would complain much, much more if we just raised the price unannounced, and we agree with that because it wouldn't be fair.

Agreed that you should let us know! I am reading everything here and answering everything I can (and I really appreciate everyone's patience about speaking more next week). Nothing that's been said here has made me feel like we're making an anti-consumer call though, for what it's worth. We can debate that more fully next week, and maybe I'll change my position on that, but so far I don't think we're doing the wrong thing.

But there are also some plainly unreasonable opinions:
- price rises in all cases are bad
- Early Access is cancer always
- devs and publishers always try to fuck consumers

I feel like there needs to be a lot of discussion around these points, because they're not black and white. The industry has done a piss poor job of explaining why we make the decisions we make, but in most cases there are good reasons. In some cases, there are bad reasons (eg I think manipulating gambling impulses is a very grey area, and there can be some very "anti-consumer" practices). Hopefully we'll answer some of those questions next week.

But, in the meantime I can answer the Early Access question now, if you have specific questions about why we went into Early Access, and why it's both a good/bad thing for developers.
Manywhelps: If you have more specific feedback I'm really happy to hear it and answer it, but if you just don't like price increases... can't do much about that.
Starkrun: Games content and price fit togther well as it stands... but it sounds like some great stuff is coming that warrants an increase... that said I'm super excited and can't wait to see whats next for We Happy Few... As dev's you guys have always been upfront and honest and never pulled a punch. Thank you for that, and please don't let the forum goers get to you, they are a small subset of your fans and toughs that will purchase the game.

Again thank you for being so transparent and giving us all a heads up!
Thanks, we really do our best on the transparency. Hopefully you will agree with us next week.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by Manywhelps
Manywhelps: It's not a stunt, it's being transparent about a price increase. We'll be even more transparent next week.
With "stunt" I meant you increasing the price a lot with telling the reason of it the day it already has increased. I also said that "stunt" might not be the correct word for it.

Manywhelps: Right now, I think you're upset because you don't like price increases, period.
I thought I made quite clear that this is not the case. Your demanded $51 is less than I paid for a Kickstarter and I don't even know when this game will be released at all. However THEY were ALWAYS transparent telling us WHY something happened and why not. Maybe I am spoiled because of those devs - don't know.

Manywhelps: But that's clearly not reasonable - there are a number of very good reasons why we're doing this (more discussion next week, but there are hints in my previous answers). I appreciate that's hard to hear until we explain the full picture.
Listen to yourself for a moment. "There are so many good reasons ... but unfortunately I cannot tell you". You think this is helpful in any way? I already said that - I am quite unemotional here even though some things I write might suggest otherwise. But the people you are talking to are the ones you want to have on your side so why not just tell what's the reason behind all this. Because you are forbidden to do so? How can I trust a person who cannot do what he/she wants?

No, the reason is NOT the price increase (even though I think it's too high) the reason simply is the way that people don't give an explanation as to why the game will get this much more expensive. If you cannot or are not allowed to talk to your potential buyers freely that is something that I really don't want to support. That is all. I like free devs with free minds doing what THEY want and being able to keep their community in the loop always. Like I said I might be spoiled with my experiences with the other devs (Stuck In Attic) because they are doing exactly that.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: No, the reason is NOT the price increase (even though I think it's too high) the reason simply is the way that people don't give an explanation as to why the game will get this much more expensive. If you cannot or are not allowed to talk to your potential buyers freely that is something that I really don't want to support. That is all. I like free devs with free minds doing what THEY want and being able to keep their community in th eloop always. Like I said I might be spoiled with my experiences with the other devs because they are doing exactly that.
Okay, fair enough. But I've already said I can't tell you, that there are good reasons for doing that, that I'll tell you why on the 16th, and that the only alternative was to have an immediate price increase on the 16th without any notice.

Put yourself in my shoes, and assume that I'm telling you the truth. Which would you do? Announce the price increase the same day, or announce early, knowing full well that people will be confused and angry with you?

Because that's the choice we made. Announce early, give people notice, and take the "wtf are you doing" bad PR. To me, that's pro consumer.
MarkoH01: the reason simply is the way that people don't give an explanation as to why the game will get this much more expensive. If you cannot or are not allowed to talk to your potential buyers freely that is something that I really don't want to support. That is all.
Manywhelps: Okay, fair enough. But I've already said I can't tell you, that there are good reasons for doing that, that I'll tell you why on the 16th, and that the only alternative was to have an immediate price increase on the 16th without any notice.
Personally if you want to complain about the price increase, wait until the 16th when you get the explanation.

Accept for now that you can't always get what you want in terms of open answers and judge the answer you do get when you get it.
Manywhelps: I'd like to get to the bottom of why you (and others here) don't like this. Right now, I think you're upset because you don't like price increases, period.
When I first heard about this price increase, I was against it. I didn't think it was "greedy" as some have said, and I don't have an issue with price increases in general. My problem with it was that, for me, based on what little information I had about the game $30 already seemed like a bit much. To increase that to $51 sounded ridiculous, because it was adding a good 66% to a price that was already asking too much for me. It doesn't help that, from our perspective, nothing is happening to add $21 worth of value to the game. If something is happening to do that, you won't tell us until the 16th when the price goes up.

Buying games is normally a gamble, and in the modern day there's little reason to take such a risk on something until it's deeply discounted. If I know I'll love a game, usually meaning that it's a sequel to something I've enjoyed, I'll generally have no problem buying it for whatever its base price is. With We Happy Few, I didn't know much about it, and if it weren't for GOG's In-Development system guaranteeing me a refund, I would have never dropped $30 on it. $51 would have been outrageous.

Now that I have spent some time playing the current version of the game, I'm unsure about the price increase. I can see how $30 is a more reasonable base price than I previously expected. There's more to the game than I would have thought, and I think that the upcoming story mode could be a big deal when the game is finally finished. If the story mode turns out really well, then maybe $51 (though I really feel like that extra $1 comes across poorly) is justified. But if the story mode turns out to be disappointing and/or if the game turns out to lack depth in general, then $51 is going to feel like too much.

So in summary, my personal issue with it is basically that I don't find most games to be worth $30, and there are fewer still worth $50+. What I've played in the current version hasn't quite sold me on the idea of $30 being worth it for the finished product, but I can see how it could get there. Unless the story mode (not coming out until release, for those interested) turns out to be really special in addition to the other modes having good depth and replay value, I doubt I would ever want to spend $51 on it.

Best of luck with whatever happens. I don't have anything against the developers for increasing the price, but I do think it's probably asking too much for the game.
MarkoH01: No, the reason is NOT the price increase (even though I think it's too high) the reason simply is the way that people don't give an explanation as to why the game will get this much more expensive. If you cannot or are not allowed to talk to your potential buyers freely that is something that I really don't want to support. That is all. I like free devs with free minds doing what THEY want and being able to keep their community in th eloop always. Like I said I might be spoiled with my experiences with the other devs because they are doing exactly that.
Manywhelps: Okay, fair enough. But I've already said I can't tell you, that there are good reasons for doing that, that I'll tell you why on the 16th, and that the only alternative was to have an immediate price increase on the 16th without any notice.

Put yourself in my shoes, and assume that I'm telling you the truth. Which would you do? Announce the price increase the same day, or announce early, knowing full well that people will be confused and angry with you?

Because that's the choice we made. Announce early, give people notice, and take the "wtf are you doing" bad PR. To me, that's pro consumer.
I agree your doing the better option, much better to tell people upfront.

Personally not knowing the surprise, I can't make an informed decision on whether the game will be worth $50. And there lies the problem.

Given I've already paid, I'm not loosing out.
Manywhelps: I'd like to get to the bottom of why you (and others here) don't like this. Right now, I think you're upset because you don't like price increases, period.
Marioface5: When I first heard about this price increase, I was against it. I didn't think it was "greedy" as some have said, and I don't have an issue with price increases in general. My problem with it was that, for me, based on what little information I had about the game $30 already seemed like a bit much. To increase that to $51 sounded ridiculous, because it was adding a good 66% to a price that was already asking too much for me. It doesn't help that, from our perspective, nothing is happening to add $21 worth of value to the game. If something is happening to do that, you won't tell us until the 16th when the price goes up.

Buying games is normally a gamble, and in the modern day there's little reason to take such a risk on something until it's deeply discounted. If I know I'll love a game, usually meaning that it's a sequel to something I've enjoyed, I'll generally have no problem buying it for whatever its base price is. With We Happy Few, I didn't know much about it, and if it weren't for GOG's In-Development system guaranteeing me a refund, I would have never dropped $30 on it. $51 would have been outrageous.

Now that I have spent some time playing the current version of the game, I'm unsure about the price increase. I can see how $30 is a more reasonable base price than I previously expected. There's more to the game than I would have thought, and I think that the upcoming story mode could be a big deal when the game is finally finished. If the story mode turns out really well, then maybe $51 (though I really feel like that extra $1 comes across poorly) is justified. But if the story mode turns out to be disappointing and/or if the game turns out to lack depth in general, then $51 is going to feel like too much.

So in summary, my personal issue with it is basically that I don't find most games to be worth $30, and there are fewer still worth $50+. What I've played in the current version hasn't quite sold me on the idea of $30 being worth it for the finished product, but I can see how it could get there. Unless the story mode (not coming out until release, for those interested) turns out to be really special in addition to the other modes having good depth and replay value, I doubt I would ever want to spend $51 on it.

Best of luck with whatever happens. I don't have anything against the developers for increasing the price, but I do think it's probably asking too much for the game.
Thanks for the well thought out answer. Seems very reasonable, to me. That being said, yes more info/content is coming, but I think it's going to be tough over the next few months because the $51 isn't really about the current game, so much as it is about 1.0. That's going to mean that it might not be worth $51 to many players until 1.0. Unfortunately, as you'll see next week, there's not a lot we can do about that.
mechmouse: Personally not knowing the surprise, I can't make an informed decision on whether the game will be worth $50. And there lies the problem.
That's absolutely right/fair, but they can make a judgement about the $30. It's definitely not an easy thing to message/discuss.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by Manywhelps
Pangaea666: For the umpteenth time. First you finish the game, THEN you release it.
What about the game gets finished THEN you buy it? :P

Manywhelps: ...
Just wanted to congratulate you, it takes courage to come down here in the pit and subject yourself to angry people, some being hopeless clueless trolls.

So khudos for you on that.

I'm not interested in WHF (at least for now) but I command you on the "stunt" you've gone through to warn players BEFORE the change happens.

To the guy(s) who had the idea of that price increase: bad idea. That is if the scope is the same. If it's a early access politics then the final full price should have been displayed with a sale price active until full release (like some other guy wrote earlier).

But if it's not that, it means only one logical thing: scope increase.

The game is no more indie, it's triple A.
Post edited August 12, 2017 by Zoidberg
Manywhelps: Just want to reiterate, this is not about cashflow. This is about advising players that the price is going up with enough time that they can make a call whether they want to buy or not. Players would complain much, much more if we just raised the price unannounced, and we agree with that because it wouldn't be fair.
Speaking of fairness -- people who buy the game right now pay 30 bucks, people who buy it a week or two later have to pay 50, even though they all ultimately receive the same product for their money. That's not really fair either, is it? I can see how this makes sense during an early crowd-funding phase, when the game is still in early stages of development, and the people who help get things started receive a better deal in return. But that's not really the case here, when there's such a short amount of time between the two different price points. And you keep emphasizing that this move is not about cashflow, so the people who hurry to buy the game now don't play a significant role in keeping the development going, no more so than the people who will buy it a week or a month from now. So why do they deserve a much better deal?

I can see how handling these transitions from "Early Access" to "Final Version" pricing is tricky, so maybe this is the best you guys could do in the current situation, but I'm not sure it makes much sense to keep talking about "fairness".

Anyhow, people here are mostly repeating themselves at this point. There's probably not much to add, until we all officially know more about the game and its future on the 16th.
Not for all. The problem is not a price increase on its own. The problem is a price increase WITH the release of an unfinished game. Not even the UI is finished couple of days before release. I mean..FFS!

If the game is not finished, how are you going to release it on the 16th? Don't you, as a developer, as this is your own product, your child if you wish, feel at all at least embarrassment for asking people to pay you for a full game while you are giving them an incomplete game? I would say the same if the price remained at 30.

I don't know, perhaps it's just me, but I would never have the nerve to ask for a full price (not to mention an increased price) for a job I did not do. "here, take half the video, give me all the money, and over the next months or years you will get the rest"
THIS is why I (and perhaps others) are upset. NOT the price increase on its own. Please don't just say everyone is upset over the price just to make it appear like we are the douches in this that don't want to pay a normal (the increased) price for a game with lots of content. Content which is NOT out and is not going to be out on the day of release!
Post edited August 12, 2017 by trusteft
mechmouse: unless you've helped me move a dead body your not a friend. Likely explains why I've only got 5 people I'd call a friend.
Bookwyrm627: When reading the first half of your sentence here, my mind was going "Wow, how many friends do you have? Must not be many."

And after reading the second half, my mind goes "Ah. Answers that question."

And fridge logic just kicked in to say "...and what have you been doing to be moving that many dead bodies...?"
Maybe he's a mortician? :-)