It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Final pre-release update and price increase coming August 16.

So much has been happening with We Happy Few since the title joined Games in Development, but this journey is almost at its end. As the full game's release approaches, developers Compulsion Games are beginning revealed their plans for the near future.

The final in-development update "Life in Technicolor" is dropping August 16, introducing new Joy effects as well as a brand new UI (still WIP), AI reworks and much more. This date also marks the previously-announced price change – jumping to $50.99 (or your local equivalent).

You can read the full announcement here.

If you've been on the fence, this is a great time to hop over – and stay tuned for more info coming soon!
And ... off the wishlist it goes.
The publishers must have been been taking "joy" themselves if they think this would lead to a favourable outcome.
I'm not paying for patches for bugs that should have been ironed out before the release date because that's essentially what they are trying to pull here. Sorry guys: Wallet says "no", to paraphrase Little Britain.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by jorlin
Manywhelps: Again, I'm sorry I can't explain more at this point.
Color me intrigued. I'm not interested in the game, but now I'm quite curious as to this mysterious announcement.

Will you be posting it on the GOG forums? If so, how? (this thread, new thread in GD, new thread in sub-forum, etc.)
mechmouse: unless you've helped me move a dead body your not a friend. Likely explains why I've only got 5 people I'd call a friend.
When reading the first half of your sentence here, my mind was going "Wow, how many friends do you have? Must not be many."

And after reading the second half, my mind goes "Ah. Answers that question."

And fridge logic just kicked in to say "...and what have you been doing to be moving that many dead bodies...?"
nightcraw1er.488: At least this isn't the only thing released today...
Dismal week, month, year, and going downwards.
Tarhiel: Oh, c´mon, was it really such a bad year, month, week?

What about Long Dark, successfully getting out of InDev phase?
And all the other games released this year up until today (Fallout 3, NV) of any genre?
Yes. I am not going over all the threads as some people are quite happy with this progress to being just like all the other stores I came here to avoid.
Ostracus: Consumers want to keep as much of their money as they can (selfish).
tinyE: That's a bit if a blanket statement and as such a tad unfair.
Since when is wanting to have enough money to eat selfish? :P

-It's too expensive. If I buy it I won't have enough money for rent.

-You're just being selfish!
To be fair, that one works the other way around too. :P

Devs: We're increasing the price of our game, to pay the bills and take care of our families.

Crowd: You're just being greedy!
mechmouse: Assuming there was always going to be at least a $10 increase once live, and additional $10 for multiplayer isn't extortionate.

As for multiplayer, I'd be playing with my wife. I've never really enjoyed playing with total strangers. Which you might consider odd since I played WoW for nearly 10 years.

However with WoW, me and the wife played mostly PvE. Yes there was other players but our enjoyment of the game wasn't dependant on them. 4 times out of 10 a Pick Up Group (PUG) for a dungeon would be a horrible experience and 5 times out of 10 it was bearable. Once in a while you'll find someone interesting your can get along with. We got to know them, they weren't strangers any more.

The idea of playing this or any game where I've got a 1 in 10 chance of an enjoyable experience just fills me with dread.

Steam is for those that use the Facebook definition of "Friend", unless you've helped me move a dead body your not a friend. Likely explains why I've only got 5 people I'd call a friend.
I agree with pretty much everything you said (and, no, I don't find it odd that you do like playing online multiplayer but prefer to do it only with people you know; I just wished someone -- *anyone* -- would play the GOG versions of Dying Light, Torchlight II, The Last Blade, Victor Vran, Grim Dawn, Titan Quest or any of the Metal Slugs with me. I would prefer people I know, but at this point I'm settling for whomever, actually...)

As for the price increase being because of a potential multiplayer addition, yes, you make a fair point. If a $10 price increase was what they had initially planned, an extra $10 on top of that for multiplayer development costs wouldn't be an exorbitant amount to ask for. I know I'm coming across as being too harsh on the game and the devs; I understand you like the game quite a lot, right?, and I apologize if my skepticism and my stupid bluntness somehow offend you. It's not fun when others start relentlessly attacking something we like a lot and believe in. I really do apologize, not trying to be passive-aggressive or sarcastic, here. Same goes for the Compulsion person in the GOG forums, I realize it isn't easy dealing with all this anger and backlash, especially when you believe in your product and probably just wanted people to see it the way you do.

I won't buy this game, though. I don't condone this steep price increase, mostly because it's happening while the game is still In Dev/Early Access. It does look interesting, has a lot of features and an art direction I know I would enjoy a whole lot. But asking people to pay $50 for an Early Access game (with a mere 3.5 review average here on GOG, which isn't all that good, especially when taking into account the review averages for other In Dev games) isn't an attitude I'm willing to reward or promote, even if only by buying the game 85% down the line. Sorry, it's just what I feel is right.

I'll keep saying this, though: best of luck to Compulsion Games. You guys seem to have your heart in the right place, and that's a commendable thing. Let's wait for the 16th, then. I'm pretty convinced nothing in that announcement will make me feel this price increase is justified, but that's just me, others might think otherwise and support you and your project by buying it for the new increased price.
tinyE: That's a bit if a blanket statement and as such a tad unfair.
Since when is wanting to have enough money to eat selfish? :P

-It's too expensive. If I buy it I won't have enough money for rent.

-You're just being selfish!
CharlesGrey: To be fair, that one works the other way around too. :P

Devs: We're increasing the price of our game, to pay the bills and take care of our families.

Crowd: You're just being greedy!
good point

This is all so confusing. :P
mechmouse: unless you've helped me move a dead body your not a friend. Likely explains why I've only got 5 people I'd call a friend.
Bookwyrm627: When reading the first half of your sentence here, my mind was going "Wow, how many friends do you have? Must not be many."

And after reading the second half, my mind goes "Ah. Answers that question."

And fridge logic just kicked in to say "...and what have you been doing to be moving that many dead bodies...?"
I think he only had to move one dead body, but he needed 5 people to help, because the guy was really heavy.
Tarhiel: Oh, c´mon, was it really such a bad year, month, week?

What about Long Dark, successfully getting out of InDev phase?
And all the other games released this year up until today (Fallout 3, NV) of any genre?
nightcraw1er.488: Yes. I am not going over all the threads as some people are quite happy with this progress to being just like all the other stores I came here to avoid.
50 euros or so ? *coughs* thats a very high price for a digital only game even if it is DRM free

I cant play all games i have to be very picky i can play simple adventures and anything like it that is no 3d /fpp/ has to many motions effects etc etc etc... that and my old dinosaur pc 'protect' me agains anything > 30 euros.

Anyway even if i could play any game , and owned a super PC... i still draw the line at 30 euros max.
In the past i spend up to 139 guilders on 1 AAA game but boy those were games, real games

ageof empires 1 and 2 ( absolutely no 3d or fpp remakes please)
fallouts 1+2 + tactics, jagged alliance classic, baldurs classic etc et etc... ( i got them right away when i joined here: 2014 )
those were good games and they cant make or maybe dont want make them like that today .
So thats why i turned to the casual games a 8 or 9 years ago.... i can play and run (on my pc) and afford these games....
i have 500 or so retails (drm free) and several dozens of digital only ( 95% also drm free once installed)
Post edited August 11, 2017 by gamesfreak64
nightcraw1er.488: Yes. I am not going over all the threads as some people are quite happy with this progress to being just like all the other stores I came here to avoid.
gamesfreak64: [snip]
What you said made some sense in the context of the whole price increase thing, but I'm wondering why choose to quote something that's completely unrelated and then "answering" the quote by not acknowledging it at all...?

[EDIT] Nevermind, scratch that... I read your post again and it isn't related to either the quote or the price increase (only the first sentence), it's just you letting us now (yet again) that you can only play certain kinds of games because you get seasick and can't deal with flashes. I think we all know the spiel, by now. Sorry, I... guess? How does this price hike affect *you*, personally, then, if We Happy Few wasn't even a game you could have played, to begin with, since you can't seem to handle 3D and bright lights/flashes? I mean... I'm the target audience for this game, but you're... well... the target audience of a very few limited number of games, sadly and unfortunately; games that have nothing in common with this one.

And, yes, you miss the "good old days" of gaming, when games were games and made exclusively for *you*, and all that jazz. Nothing of which is relevant for this discussion, honestly.
Post edited August 11, 2017 by groze
tinyE: good point

This is all so confusing. :P
It's pretty simple, either they have a major publisher on board and that's the reason for the price increase, or they're just hurting for some quick cash-flow, and the threat of an upcoming price increase should boost current sales. It's some sort of bizarre reverse discount logic. Make more people buy your game and have them feel like they're saving money, without actually giving them a discount. If it works, I suspect we're going to see it more often. Hah.

Even more simple than that, from a customer point of view, either buy it now if you feel it's worth the ~30 bucks, or otherwise just wait for future discounts which will surely drop below that price point, even with the announced base price increase. The latter option seems preferable for any number of reasons ( for the customer ), since at that point you'll receive a more complete and polished game, and we'll all have a much better idea how good the game actually is.

I suppose there is also the unlikely scenario that the game will be so good, we'll all agree it's worth those 50 dollarinos. You never know, huh?
Post edited August 11, 2017 by CharlesGrey
Yeah, right, price increase. And no trace of promised Linux support.
No Linux = No Money.
Redfern: Yeah, right, price increase. And no trace of promised Linux support.
No Linux = No Money.
We've said for two years that Linux support is likely on or shortly after the 1.0 release. Next week is not the 1.0 release.

You don't have to give us any money, but please don't spread misinformation. If you want to know about linux or anything else about our game, I check the WHF gog forums once / day - you just have to ask rather than assume.
koima57: Aaand what's that secret!?
A Season Pass .
CharlesGrey: It's pretty simple, either they have a major publisher on board and that's the reason for the price increase, or they're just hurting for some quick cash-flow, and the threat of an upcoming price increase should boost current sales. It's some sort of bizarre reverse discount logic. Make more people buy your game and have them feel like they're saving money, without actually giving them a discount. If it works, I suspect we're going to see it more often. Hah.

Even more simple than that, from a customer point of view, either buy it now if you feel it's worth the ~30 bucks, or otherwise just wait for future discounts which will surely drop below that price point, even with the announced base price increase. The latter option seems preferable for any number of reasons ( for the customer ), since at that point you'll receive a more complete and polished game, and we'll all have a much better idea how good the game actually is.

I suppose there is also the unlikely scenario that the game will be so good, we'll all agree it's worth those 50 dollarinos. You never know, huh?
It's unrelated to cashflow. We're announcing the price rise in advance so that people have the opportunity to buy it earlier and aren't upset that they weren't given notice.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess.

Agree with your point btw - we've spent zero effort trying to convince anyone to buy now. Look at all my previous points, I'm just trying to explain things :) Ultimately you guys make the call, is the game as it currently is good enough for you? If not, wait.