IMPORTANT: the official "I'm crashing, help" topic is here (read the post and provide the required info/files).
things to try if crashing (any/all):
- apply the RC patch exe.
- set VideoMode=3 in sshock.ini (edit with notepad)
- set WindowWidth=640 and WindowHeight=480 in sshock.ini (edit with notepad)
- set FullScreen=No in sshock.ini (edit with notepad)
- set SoftRenderer=On in sshock.ini (edit with notepad)
you can also try to:
- set the exe to winXP or win7 compatiblity
- disable your antivirus
- turn off Raptr or similar applications (anticheat, AMD gaming evolved, plays.tv, special mouse and keyboard utilities etc, basically anything unimportant that is running in the background and might be interfering)
- do not use MT32 emulator
- reinstall DirectX9 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109) and Visual C++ 2013 SP1 Redistributable (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784)
- the Enhanced Edition is based on the CD (music and voiceovers) release of SS1, and uses an improved version of Malba Tahan's SHLINK mod/loader (runs natively under windows, allows higher resolutions, mouselook and more), this means it runs faster and plays smoother than anything that has been available up to this point.
- mouselook mode can be enabled/disabled by hitting the E key. think of this as being able to switch between action mode and inventory mode, much like in SS2. mouselook will auto-disable when interacting with items, if you don't like this, it can be turned off in sshock.ini (UseModePicking).
- controls can be changed by editing controls.cfg file (notepad).
- custom resolution (and other advanced options) can be changed by editing sshock.ini (notepad). do be careful, anything above 1024*768 may be buggy or not run at all (back the file up before editing so you would be able to restore it in case things go bad). also, the cpu requirements skyrocket with higher resolutions.
- Enhanced text mod: this matches the mail/log text to the voiceovers. Back up your original shock\data\cybstrng.res and replace it with the new file. This one is nice to have, as the text not matching the audio can be outright annoying sometimes.
- High-res objects: this graphical update replaces the existing 32*32/64*64 object textures with 256*256 ones. Extract the mod, extract the update, see the readme for install instructions. This one's up to the user's preference.
- you can take out an item from a container or a corpse by simply doubleclicking on it.
- fullscreen map can be enabled by clicking on the automap tab (lower right or left side of the screen), then clicking FULL. locations on the map can be marked and notes added.
- there is no falling damage. no need to be scared of heights.
- you can destroy stuff with explosives and beam weapons. don't worry, quest items are indestructible.
- the HUD assistant will get disabled once you leave the starting area. go options and enable on-line help to get HUD hints again.
ISSUES AND SOLUTIONS:
- Audio and Video tweak guide (video)
- the final bossfight is too fast (Shodan face covering the screen and ending the player way too soon).
- the game may not start at all under win10, possibly an issue with a live account.
- running on linux.
- using bassmidi to improve the music (might help with music related issues).
- using virtual midi to improve the music (might help with music related issues).