(UPDATED - SEE BELOW)
Finished the game twice, playing it on hardcore now. I got to say it's fantastic. Love the awesome animations, retro textures, colour palette, lovely music, neat level design, the immersive atmosphere, pop-culture references etc. Since this is a feedback forum, however, I do have a few observations / suggestions that I would like to share:
1. There are a few moments where it's really easy to die by pure accident. I wouldn't normally mind, but this makes the game nearly unplayable on hard mode (esp. during first boss).
2. The mini-map is not very useful. It would be great if the player could get it to fullscreen with a button (like TAB). Also, it would be really helpful if coloured doors / sections were colour-coded, or had some distinct icons to mark them.
3. Please either allow the player to return to a previously played level in order to find missed secrets, or add a secret-counter in game (or both). There is nothing more frustrating than seeing 'Secrets: 6/7' after completing the level and knowing you either cannot go back or have to repeat the whole section of the episode.
4. I found that there is too much ammo on the levels in general (for my personal liking anyway). Now while this doesn't affect the core gameplay, I personally hate exiting the level knowing that I left all these goodies behind just because they wouldn't fit in my inventory. A little scarcity would give much more value to ammo and thus more satisfaction when finding it (and would make the 'collector' perks actually useful).
5. Sometimes the BFG weapon doesn't kill all enemies. If I shoot a cluster of say 4 enemies, one or more is often unaffected somehow. (***UPDATE*** - I noticed that if you are too close to an enemy, the projectile goes right through them).
6. Some levels (especially in the Arctic episode) could desperately use more open space. Nothing builds atmosphere like getting lost in a fog.
7. All monsters seem to exhibit very similar behavioural patterns. They all either charge the player or charge the player and shoot at the same time. It would be nice to add some more variety in the AI department.
8. The spells are a bit meh. I may be wrong - I haven't used any past the glowy orb thingie - but that's because I didn't have any incentive to spend upgrade points on them. It felt like weapon mods (and they are awesome btw) were much more important and using points on spells would be an irreversible waste. Separate skill point types for mods and spells would solve this problem.
10. Please, please allow custom key bindings for weapons and skills. Some players like to have each weapon bound under a separate key close to WASD keys in order to instantly switch to a desired weapon without breaking the gameplay. I felt this is so important, that I skipped a number in my numeration.
11. Sometimes mouse sensitivity seems to accelerate for a few seconds. It seems to be a glitch. I think collecting certain items triggers this, but I am not sure. (***UPDATE*** - I noticed that mouse sensitivity is related directly to FPS and with each performance drop, it speeds up like crazy. May be related to my monitor's refresh rate - 144Hz. Also, sensitivity seems to increase when super-fast running).
12. The super-fast running is a welcome perk, but once you got it, you can either switch between lightning fast run or a sluggish walk. The normal running speed becomes unavailable. In my opinion, it would be a good idea to ditch walking altogether and just giving the option to choose between running and fast running (once you unlock this perk). Also, having to switch it on before every level is a bit annoying.
13. Monsters can be pretty quiet and it's hard for the player to locate / identify them in the vicinity just by hearing. Being able to hear them approach would add to the atmosphere. Pardon me for using another game as an example, but when I was a kid, I used to play a lot of Doom. One thing I remember is that nothing scared me as much as the heavy footsteps of an approaching Cyberdemon. Another Doom example - when I heard a few grunts from behind, I instantly knew I was being followed by Imps.
14. You desperately need to make PW 2. Or an extra episode or something. You can charge whatever you want - my malnourished wallet knows what's coming and already braced itself for the worst.
I think this is it for now. Bear in mind these are nit-picks more than anything, and the game is perfectly playable in its current state.
Thank you for all your work. The game is absolutely fantastic. I can't remember the last time when a game hooked me in so much. I know a lot of poeple compare it to Ion Maiden (which I got on Steam) and personally I think PW wins in most aspects (even though IM is still a good game). There is simply nothing that compares to PW in terms of aesthetics, and the only thing that gave me a similar amount of satisfaction when slaughtering monsters was Brutal Doom. Nothing else, not even the new Doom, comes close to how lovely it is to get your minigun and just mow down everything that moves.
Post edited January 09, 2019 by dupadoroty