It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Up to 75% off TotalBiscuit's favorites: Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Pharaoh + Cleopatra and more.

Love him or hate him, TotalBiscuit is a force to be reckoned with. He's the guy that millions of gamers listen to on a daily basis - whether it's first impressions, reviews, or his trademark cynical commentary on industry news, ins and outs - The Cynical Brit's influence on a generation of gamers can be hotly debated, but never denied. Today, we take a look at some of his favorites, his top bites, the 30+ games that <span class="bold">TotalBiscuit Recommends</span>:

From the creative minds of Chris Avellone, Tim Cain and Josh Sawyer comes Pillars of Eternity, where adventure continues beyond the gate. It's a critically lauded revival of the classic cRPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale, to call it Obsidian Entertainment's spiritual sequel would be an understatement. Of course, that's not the only modern revival of old school favourites - Wasteland 2 is a sequel to the historic 1988 title that redefined RPG gameplay and inspired legendary titles like Fallout - full of multipathed quest solving, choice, consequence and maturity. Brilliant storytelling isn't just an RPG domain - classic point and click adventures like The Longest Journey or its big, action-adventure sister Dreamfall: The Longest Journey are known for featuring some of the most unique universes and best written tales in gaming. The list just goes on with some of absolutely top releases in gaming history including S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat, Mount & Blade, Pharaoh + Cleopatra, and so much more!

See TotalBiscuit's own take on this promo's biggest highlights!
<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NwiFN8Ddj34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This weekend, <span class="bold">TotalBiscuit Recommends</span> some of his favourite games ever. Check them out in our weekend promo, with deals up to 75% off lasting until Tuesday, July 21, 3:59 AM GMT.
Post edited July 17, 2015 by Konrad
pokowalczky: I love adventure games (actually putting me at odds with TB's tastes).
Does he not play a lot of adventure games? Someone should tell him that due to their slower pace, they all have little trouble running at 60 FPS.

At least The Longest Journey is in the sale—that thing was a gateway drug that hooked me on adventure games. It really takes a special game to change someone's mind about an entire genre.
Telika:
lunaticox: Im wondering why the triggerhappy people instantly jumped to conclusions,
Firstly because trans are still a stigmatized category, and our society is only starting to change about that. So we live in sensitive times about it, with still conflicting representations. So, it is a time of legitimate suspicion and sensitivity.

Secondly because, on the other side, you also have people who are genuinely transphobic (and not yet ashamed of it), and people who are just as categoric in their own interpretation ("nooo, nobody could see anything transphobic about that joke, are you crazy?") mostly as a knee-jerk attempt to shield interactive tales from the sort of ideological analysis that all other forms of art/entertainment are subject to. Which is a broader dispute, members of which usually don't care about the technicalities of individual cases (it's basically "all cases are oppressive" versus "no case is oppressive").

The subjective, "rorschach" aspect of this joke is being denied by both sides, with more or less similar bad faith, which makes each side look dishonest to the other (well it is), and strengthens postures. "Why trying when the other side doesn't even try ?" - the dishonesty of the other side only confirms one's own righteousness.

And thirdly because, after all, the purpose of it all is mostly the joy of breathing flames on a forum. Jumping to conclusions is its own reward. Strong categoric stances make one feel so badass.
Post edited July 20, 2015 by Telika
pokowalczky: Please comment on games. No one has come here for theories of what is or isn't appropriate in comedy. There are plenty of other forums to discuss that on the internet. GOG is a place to buy and discuss games. Some people find the "punching up/punching down" argument ludicrous and, even, offensive. Others subscribe to it.

Also, I know it's sometimes difficult to realize that one's "American Privilege" is a form of solipsism, but seeing as this is a site based in Poland, with a large international audience, and comparatively few U.S.-based commenters, invoking your own nation's political dramas holds less value than it might in a setting comprised of an American plurality or majority.

We can see that you have a lot of anger, and that's a shame, but we're here to discuss games. Check your setting, here. Thanks.
psumner: I am commenting on games in response to someone's defense of controversial game content. The suggestion that Gamergate was purely an America-based campaign is disproved by posters in this very thread, including TotalBiscuit. Your post is nonsensical.
I've not mentioned Gamergate, at all, seeing as it has never been much of an issue regarding GOG. Enough has been written on that subject, pro and con, for defenders and detractors to make up their own minds (or, even more wisely, not care one way or the other and simply go on enjoying the games one enjoys without bothering others with their hang-ups).

Rather, I was referring to a strange passage in your earlier post, regarding Donald Trump (whom no one outside of America cares much about and whom even most Americans consider an inconsequential bit of media theatre that will fade as fast as any mainstream outrage prop that runs through the mill). I realize my wording may have confused you, since I included it in response to your later post, so that may help clarify things for you. No one cares enough about Trump to invoke his name on a Polish site with an international audience, except for you, apparently.

An earlier commenter brought up the fact that he was unfamiliar with all of this "controversy" and didn't much care about it, seeing as he is from "the part of Europe that has bigger problems." He was from Serbia. Kinda puts things in perspective, for any reasonable person, I'd imagine. He came here to forget this sort of nit-picky nonsense (and far even far bigger issues in his reality) to find escape a fun diversion. That diversion is gaming. It's what this site is about. If you have other issues, there are forums for you to discuss these issues.
lunaticox: Most of this boils down to "My subjective Interpretation of this one joke is the objective truth: thus its offensive AND BY GOD WE CAN HAVE NONE OF THAT"

Im wondering why the triggerhappy people instantly jumped to conclusions, the "hero" could have bedded a crossdresser man prefectly at ease with his given gender or a very femenine man who seduced him on drunken stupor for all we care, the punchline of the joke is on the one who jumped off a cliff, not on his one night´s stand.

But that of course, its another subjective interpretation. Wich is in no way shape or form the objective truth.

See? there is no point on losing sleep over this stuff.
psumner: The objective truth is the limerick itself, which contains none of the fan-fiction you made up to rationalize it, and none of which erases the transphobia anyway. The joke is clear. The punchline comes at the expense of a transgender woman who is considered so shameful that the man jumps off a cliff, which the audience is supposed to find funny. Obsidian agreed that the joke was offensive and removed it. A noisy but small segment of the population had a nervous breakdown and decided transphobic jokes in videogames were the hill it was going to die on. They lost that culture war, just as Gamergate did. I imagine it must be a very anxious existence to hold these positions, watching bitterly as society constantly rejects them and moves on.

Videogames are a part of pop culture and are subject to cultural criticisms and analyses of their social impact, just like any other art. I think much of the defense of the joke really came down to resentment over expanding inclusiveness and diversity, which threatens the narrowly defined "gamer" label that was so accurately described as dead last year. You can't praise games as art while dismissing attempts to critically discuss their social impact without coming off as a myopic curmudgeon.
Why don't you stop parroting lingo that you evidently learned elsewhere and tell us about which games you enjoy? You've made your point. It's obvious that not everyone is going to share your opinion or your perception. So, if you cannot bring yourself to discuss which genres of games you enjoy, then it would appear you are absolutely wasting your time.
pokowalczky: I love adventure games (actually putting me at odds with TB's tastes).
227: Does he not play a lot of adventure games? Someone should tell him that due to their slower pace, they all have little trouble running at 60 FPS.

At least The Longest Journey is in the sale—that thing was a gateway drug that hooked me on adventure games. It really takes a special game to change someone's mind about an entire genre.
I have Longest Journey in my queue. Been waiting to embark on that one. Seems really cool. I have never been much of one for RPGs, or FPS, for whatever reason. I think they're neat, but I get quite engrossed by point-and-click games, for whatever reason.
Post edited July 20, 2015 by pokowalczky
Do the King's Bounty games have a skirmish sort of mode like Heroes 3 and 4? Single scenario, I mean?
I didn't include Heroes 5 because the amount of flexibility in creating single scenarios is terrible in it.
high rated
And now let's dig this celebrity for some really stupid joke (Yeah the joke is VERY stupid, but I wonder how many of you never did stupid jokes)

The day the people started to do "cultural criticism on videogames" instead of playing and enjoying them, decadence arrives everywhere...

People get old playing and now, they want to transform their "hobby" in politics and philosophy, sometimes I think is pure embarrassment to appear to be a mature and compromised person, wow good job!!!, concealing the real reason of still be playing games, the child that we all have inside.

Because PIXELS!!!! No wonders I pass to see much part of these new "videogame philosophers" crap, Jesus... I have enough games waiting to be played to lose time in moral fantasies applied to imaginary worlds...
Post edited July 20, 2015 by YaTEdiGo
micktiegs_8: Do the King's Bounty games have a skirmish sort of mode like Heroes 3 and 4? Single scenario, I mean?
I didn't include Heroes 5 because the amount of flexibility in creating single scenarios is terrible in it.
No. It's "only" a campaign, since it's not a strategy game, but an RPG.
IIRC, the second (Crossworlds) also has a couple of mini-campaigns, but I wouldn't go there before completing The Legend.
Post edited July 20, 2015 by mrkgnao
lunaticox: Im wondering why the triggerhappy people instantly jumped to conclusions,
Telika: Firstly because trans are still a stigmatized category, and our society is only starting to change about that. So we live in sensitive times about it, with still conflicting representations. So, it is a time of legitimate suspicion and sensitivity.

Secondly because, on the other side, you also have people who are genuinely transphobic (and not yet ashamed of it), and people who are just as categoric in their own interpretation ("nooo, nobody could see anything transphobic about that joke, are you crazy?") mostly as a knee-jerk attempt to shield interactive tales from the sort of ideological analysis that all other forms of art/entertainment are subject to. Which is a broader dispute, members of which usually don't care about the technicalities of individual cases (it's basically "all cases are oppressive" versus "no case is oppressive").

The subjective, "rorschach" aspect of this joke is being denied by both sides, with more or less similar bad faith, which makes each side look dishonest to the other (well it is), and strengthens postures. "Why trying when the other side doesn't even try ?" - the dishonesty of the other side only confirms one's own righteousness.

And thirdly because, after all, the purpose of it all is mostly the joy of breathing flames on a forum. Jumping to conclusions is its own reward. Strong categoric stances make one feel so badass.
This is great, I spent an hour polishing my lousy english to reply to this and when I tried to link another post to quote I lost it all.

TL;DR: I agree with what you posted.
--
And there is this other poster that replied to me but apparently I cant see the message in wich I was quoted unless this other poster quoted the reply directed to me, weird, I think I need to get a bit more used to these forums.

To you my fried: Im going to fall in the the pitfall of stirring up the flames with a cathegoric line, but your post was a cartload of bogus, that wasnt fanfiction to rationalize the joke, it was an interpretation that cannot be more or less wrong than your own, we only have one line alluding to this misgendering of this one character and it only says "The last woman he bedded turned, out a man" and its not nearly as specific to tell us that this was, in fact, a transgender person, the whole ordeal is in need of much needed context that is frankly irrelevant to that interpretation, because Im assuming that the one who suffers at the end of this (and the one being made fun of) is the one who killed himself, and it wasnt this supposed transgender person. But you are still trying to hold that your subjective interpretation accounts for all interpretations.

The fact that obsidian pulled it seems to be an effect to the outrage rather than an honest realization that the joke was indeed ill-intentioned.

Im not advocating for everyone to see it as harmless as I see it, but I heavily dislike moral panicking, and I find the way this subject was handled by certain groups to be utterly disgusting. I have no problems with video games being scrutinized like other entertainment is, but, again, the way this ussue was handled turned out horrible, authoritative and a big threat to one´s right to freedom of expression.

I think that that is the only thing I should respond to, because the rest of what you wrote its just angry recycled rabble and wishful thinking that has been spewed for at least a year now.

And so I hope my grammar does not undermine my point, but whatever, yes to videogames, no to endless back and forth slapping.
--

I might get another game from the sale, but now Im in divided between Act of War or Zeus/Poseidon, I never played the Impressions games nor I played C&C generals so I dont know wich one shoudl I get...
pokowalczky: I have Longest Journey in my queue. Been waiting to embark on that one. Seems really cool.
You're in for a treat. There are two puzzles that tend to trip people up, but the game is otherwise just about perfect. Great music, great characters, great locations, self-contained and coherent story (which is more than can be said of Dreamfall), and it has a certain amount of "heart" to it. Which is hard to describe, but it was obviously made with love. Plus I played it for the first time in 2012, so that would seem to indicate that it has a certain timeless quality to it.

Maybe I'm overselling it; the game page has a few lukewarm reviews mixed in, suggesting that some were less smitten than I was, but it's seriously become one of my all-time favorites and I think an adventure game fan like yourself would especially appreciate it.
pokowalczky: I have Longest Journey in my queue. Been waiting to embark on that one. Seems really cool.
227: You're in for a treat. There are two puzzles that tend to trip people up, but the game is otherwise just about perfect. Great music, great characters, great locations, self-contained and coherent story (which is more than can be said of Dreamfall), and it has a certain amount of "heart" to it. Which is hard to describe, but it was obviously made with love. Plus I played it for the first time in 2012, so that would seem to indicate that it has a certain timeless quality to it.

Maybe I'm overselling it; the game page has a few lukewarm reviews mixed in, suggesting that some were less smitten than I was, but it's seriously become one of my all-time favorites and I think an adventure game fan like yourself would especially appreciate it.
My friend, you've just helped make my mind up to move it up the queue! It looks beautiful, and it'll make a nice juxtaposition to the last few games I've played, which were all quite dark and scary. I buy the darn games in these sprees, during the insomnia sales and summer sales and whatnot, so the backlog has become massive. I'm dreadful at making decisions, in these sorts of matters. Thanks so much for your recommendation!
pokowalczky: Thanks so much for your recommendation!
Oh, my pleasure. It's definitely a beautiful game in many respects. I only hope you come to love it as much as I did.

And many of us forumites are all too familiar with the malevolent force known as "the backlog."
Telika: As many jokes toying with prejudices, this joke was both (or exactly none of these), really depending on who read it and who wrote it. It's a joke that can be transphobic when told by/to people who mean it as "transgender people are so shameful or disgusting that a guy who slept with one jumped off a cliff", and can be anti-transphobic when told by/to people who mean it as "a man was so homophobic he felt driven to kill himself when he found out he had had sex with someone who had been born with male genitalia".

It is nothing in and by itself. Its meaning is only contextual. And its context is out of reach from any commenter (1° we are not in the author's mind, and 2° the recipients' minds are varied).

The "no, it means THAT" argument is pointless. The argument should be "how should we react to contexually ambivalent jokes/symbols" globally. And being restrictive there is too dangerously limitative, because a lot of antiracist jokes (caricaturing racist worldviews) are also racist jokes (when repeated amongst racists). Being restrictive would give terrible consequences to Poe's law.

Stupid polemic is stupid.
A very elegant and astute post, relevant to our individual perception (and reception) of humor in general. +1!
Thank you for doing this sale, GOG. Giana Sisters had a massive discount; it's great. I'm surprised TB recommended as many platformers as he did, I thought he hated the genre. Cheers!
Great sale GOG, thanks for running it. Ignore the complainers, they don't buy games anyways.
Woofy: Great sale GOG, thanks for running it. Ignore the complainers, they don't buy games anyways.
Wtf ... how the fuck do you know how many games the " complainers" as you call them buy ?
psumner: There's no question the joke was transphobic, which is why it was removed. The joke is that transgender people are so shameful or disgusting that a guy who slept with one jumped off a cliff. Typical "punching down" humor.
Wytsfs: No, the joke was that a man was so homophobic he felt driven to kill himself when he found out he had had sex with someone who had been born with male genitalia.
And pretty sure it would've been someone who still had male genitalia at the time of said sex - unless magical sex change is a thing in the PoE universe.

Also, given the setting, I find it far more likely that the drunkard simply had sex with a man who wasn't "trans"-anything at all. I bet if the epitaph was about him waking up in a barn with a goat, PETA would be all up in arms, right? "Oh, they're poking fun at goats!"
Post edited July 20, 2015 by kalirion