It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

F4LL0UT: I'm currently trying to finally close an old bank account of mine which I haven't used in four years because the bank sucks - it sucks so hard that two attempts to close it had already failed in the past because I had forgotten and lost the login data and the people at the bank were so protective of my account that even I was unable to get new login data - because they would have to not only identify me by my social security number but also though a message sent to my phone and the thing is that I had already switched phone numbers by then. And I needed access to achieve a balance of 0,00, else they wouldn't let me close my account. So I gave it another try, finally I encountered a nice and competent girl at the bank who gave me access and I transferred the money to the account I normally use. I returned to the bank and was invited to some office in the back. This time a friendly dude took care of everything - but there was one catch. It's not just a bank account, it's a whole package including multiple accounts and one of them has 0,01€ left. How it got there, where it came from - I have no idea, I haven't even ever used that special account. I asked him whether I couldn't just donate it or something. "No." Annoyed I said that I'd even be okay if they just destroyed it, I just wanna get rid of it. He laughed, "no, you have to transfer it to another account - all accounts will be eliminated within 30 days if the balance will be exactly 0,00 on all of them by then". Okay, doesn't sound too bad. So today I decided to finally transfer that lonely cent to my current account. Guess what, one cent is too small a sum to make a transfer. So I will actually have to add money to the account before being able to even out the balance. But to make it funnier it's a special saving account that can only receive money from another account from the same package, else there's gonna be ridiculously high fee. So now I will actually have to transfer money from my current account to the old account at a fee, from there to that saver account, from the saver account back to my old regular account and from there - again at a small fee - to my current account. And all of that because of one cent! Fantastic!
I'm not quite sure how it works in places out of the US, but would it be possible to just make a cash advance for 1 penny against the account? You wouldn't have to transfer the money. You'd just be drawing out a penny. I mean as long as you have like a state or country ID card I would think that wouldn't be a red tape nightmare.
Post edited January 18, 2014 by Trajhenkhetlive
Trajhenkhetlive: I'm not quite sure how it works in places out of the US, but would it be possible to just make a cash advance for 1 penny against the account? You wouldn't have to transfer the money. You'd just be drawing out a penny. I mean as long as you have like a state or country ID card I would think that wouldn't be a red tape nightmare.
Won't work. This special saver account can't directly be accessed this way, not even at the offices of this particular bank (which I think generally doesn't allow for withdrawals other than through an ATM). This account is also special in that it's a Euro account (while Poland has a currency of its own), I guess that's another issue. Anyway, what bugs me most is that I can't just donate Lonely Cent there. When my GF closed an account at a different bank she had that option - there she could just close the account and any leftovers she didn't want would be donated in her name. And here - nothing.
F4LL0UT: <snip>
Can you paypal yourself one penny from that account? Or use that account as the primary paypal account, with a credit card or other account as the back-up, and then buy a gOg for a few bucks using both accounts?

-----

We used to do our banking with a nationwide bank. Started out nicely, free everything so long as we maintained a certain combined balance across all the accounts. That was easy since I had a separate savings account to accumulate funds for my quarterly taxes.

And then they changed shit. The balance requirement went WAY up, and even if that was met there would still be monthly account fees for not meeting some other requirement. The only way we could have avoided the fees, at least with our particular financial picture, was to refinance our mortgage through that bank. Which is fine, except that their rates were higher than just about everyone else. When we pulled our money and closed the accounts, nobody bothered to ask why. LOL - apparently you aren't concerned enough to ask why a long-time customer is leaving.

So screw that. We moved over to a local credit union, where the checking account gives you 2.25% interest for meeting the simplest of requirements: logon once per month, and use the debit card ten times. No-brainer, there.
HereForTheBeer: Can you paypal yourself one penny from that account? Or use that account as the primary paypal account, with a credit card or other account as the back-up, and then buy a gOg for a few bucks using both accounts?
Nope, not an option with that account.
Dang - thought I was onto something.
tinyE: I watched a thing about alien invasion on the Discovery Channel the other day and they raised kind of a creepy point. Most pacifist like myself would insist a much more advanced civilization would have no reason going around blasting lesser advanced civilizations to hell yet history shows that is EXACTLY what happens. Just two examples, Ancient Rome and Nazi Germany. These two were eons ahead of everyone else in terms of tech and what did they do with it? They slaughtered people! The good news is and alien race that gets here will no doubt have some sort of super cannon that will wipe out the planet in a micro second thus giving us all a quick death. Gotta accentuate the positive! :D
Soccorro: yeah we're a planet full of "nope". They wouldn't even want our resources.
I will fight these aliens to the death if they attack the Earth. Monkeys live here too.
One of my regular pubs is closing down. That's like having my living room taken away.
Is Aliasalpha still active here now and then or has he been unheard from since 2011\2010? I miss him.
I've got pains in my colon I've also got a swollen right foot my right ankle is swollen as well I get chest pains all the time I think I'm dying :( on the positive note I won't have to put up with my shitty Life for much longer! I wish it would hurry up and do it! I hate Pain! the pains in my colon Mimic Appendicitis!
Post edited January 19, 2014 by fr33kSh0w2012
fr33kSh0w2012: I've got pains in my colon I've also got a swollen right foot my right ankle is swollen as well I get chest pains all the time I think I'm dying :( on the positive note I won't have to put up with my shitty Life for much longer! I wish it would hurry up and do it! I hate Pain! the pains in my colon Mimic Appendicitis!
I hope you will get better :-I
fr33kSh0w2012: I've got pains in my colon I've also got a swollen right foot my right ankle is swollen as well I get chest pains all the time I think I'm dying :( on the positive note I won't have to put up with my shitty Life for much longer! I wish it would hurry up and do it! I hate Pain! the pains in my colon Mimic Appendicitis!
Sargon: I hope you will get better :-I
I hope so too!
AlKim: One of my regular pubs is closing down. That's like having my living room taken away.
That sucks. But at least you can be happy that your living room is not taken away :-P
http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Get-%27Em-Out-By-Friday-lyrics-Genesis/7334E7E129FFB08748256960001331F5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp-TwWnn0dk
Soccorro: Just imagine, we will have contact to another species one day... I swear they would just put us in quarantine and then destroy the crap out of us after having visited us for 3 seconds.
tinyE: I watched a thing about alien invasion on the Discovery Channel the other day and they raised kind of a creepy point. Most pacifist like myself would insist a much more advanced civilization would have no reason going around blasting lesser advanced civilizations to hell yet history shows that is EXACTLY what happens. Just two examples, Ancient Rome and Nazi Germany. These two were eons ahead of everyone else in terms of tech and what did they do with it? They slaughtered people! The good news is and alien race that gets here will no doubt have some sort of super cannon that will wipe out the planet in a micro second thus giving us all a quick death. Gotta accentuate the positive! :D
Using our own history as an example is inherently flawed and in my opinion not worth much, yet it is the best example we got. I think it is pretty hard to guess how such a civilization would react to us. When I was a child\youth I was of the opinion that a civilization advanced enough to travel in space would be advanced enough socially\emphatically to be peaceful instead of aggressive. However when I got older I really found no reason to assume that peacefulness is necessarily a logical progression for an advanced enough species. I agree with Jared Diamond in that we should not send out deliberate attempts at communication to potential civilizations nearby, just to be sure. The possible danger outweighs the possible gain by far in my opinion.

I don't think your examples of Ancient Rome and Nazi-Germany were very good however. Nazi-Germany was not "eons" ahead in tech, they were ahead in rocketry as far as I remember, but America for example was far ahead in nuclear science. And while Ancient Rome were guilty of countless crimes against humanity, they didn't go around slaughtering people left and right. Their usual mode of operation was assimilating the conquered territory into their empire (or giving them self-government with limits). You could even make the case that many people were better off with Roman peace and civilization than with what they had before. (What have the Romans ever done for us does make this point eloquently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9foi342LXQE&amp;feature=player_detailpage#t=41 ) Certainly Roman peace does seem better than the endless warfare of Celtic and Germanic tribes. (But personally I would prefer to b a part of a remote hunter-gatherer tribe than a hierarchical civilization like that of Romans or Celts.

Ancient Rome only resorted to massacres when they encountered significant repeated resistance like in some Greek and Jewish cities (with the exception of course of being Carthage.) What the Romans did towards the Jews and Carthaginians do deserve the label ethnic cleansing, since they sought to eliminate these peoples from their original homeland (by massacres, slavery and exile.) But unlike the case with Nazi-Germany, the Roman genocides were not motivated by ideology.
Post edited January 19, 2014 by Sargon
Soccorro: yeah we're a planet full of "nope". They wouldn't even want our resources.
monkeydelarge: I will fight these aliens to the death if they attack the Earth. Monkeys live here too.
Another way to look at this is to imagine what we would do if we progressed to space travel today and encountered another civilization of intelligent beings that were behind us in technology and organization. I'm sure overt aggressive behavior towards the new species would be a no no, and frowned upon by most if not all countries. This is because our cultural memory would associate such acts with evil acts from our past, like the conquest of the Americas. Also, Science Fiction literature as well popular culture like movies and games have explored this topic for some time and I think outright hostility towards a new species would leave a bad taste in most peoples mouth. However, if humanity made a colony on this new world I'm sure there would be significant exploitation of the other species to their detriment. This could be prevented if the countries owning the colony had tight control of it and there was a significant independent media presence as well. But this seems very unlikely.

Just think how much we really care about the other intelligent sentient species of our planet like primates, cetaceans, crows and pigs. It seems to be in our nature to exploit and destroy other species. Society might temper this, but I'm as much a pessimist an an optimist on the issue.
Post edited January 19, 2014 by Sargon
This thread has gotten way too deep for me. :P