It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tinyE: I have someone staying at my inn who was born and raised in the Soviet Union. I didn't know this and when he saw me wearing a CCCP shirt this morning he got kind of pissed. I'm not upset about offending him because I've had other Russians here who loved the shirt; my bitch is that this guy is here for several days and now I've got to put up with his dirty looks for the rest of the week.
It also stands for Combined Community Codec Pack...
tinyE: I have someone staying at my inn who was born and raised in the Soviet Union. I didn't know this and when he saw me wearing a CCCP shirt this morning he got kind of pissed. I'm not upset about offending him because I've had other Russians here who loved the shirt; my bitch is that this guy is here for several days and now I've got to put up with his dirty looks for the rest of the week.
blotunga: It also stands for Combined Community Codec Pack...
That might work but for the fact my shirt also has a hammer and sickle on it. :D
tinyE: That might work but for the fact my shirt also has a hammer and sickle on it. :D
http://www.cccp-project.net/
blotunga: It also stands for Combined Community Codec Pack...
tinyE: That might work but for the fact my shirt also has a hammer and sickle on it. :D
You can't please everyone. There's always going to be an offended person somewhere.
Post edited July 31, 2013 by langurmonkey
blotunga: http://www.cccp-project.net/
XD
You da man!

That's actually some of the most brilliant advertising I've ever seen.
I'm starting to think the latest NVidia Geforce drivers are shitty. Mainly:

- Every now and then (like 10 minutes ago, maybe 1-2 times a week), my Win7 gets a bit stuck, and then the screen brightness goes to full and Windows says my graphics driver had crashed (but recovered). After that things seem to work normally, as long as I lower the brightness again so that it doesn't hurt my eyes.

- Even more often, Windows stops for like 5 seconds completely (even mouse stops moving), but continues fine after that. This seems to happen only during web browsing and such, not e.g. gaming (fortunately). Of course this could be anything, but I am suspecting this is also due to the graphics driver, and might be even related to the previous problem (ie. sometimes that "stuck"-situation just ends up in the graphics driver crashing, while sometimes not).

- Not to mention that by the reports and my own experience, apparently some older games (also in GOG) became broken with the new drivers. E.g. Rayman 2 doesn't work anymore, and I think the same happened to one of the old Tomb Raider (Windows) games as well. I've heard claims that many other older games got broken as well, not sure which.

I've now been waiting a couple of weeks for new drivers, which hopefully would alleviate those problems. I'm just a bit pessimistic that maybe they just couldn't care less about e.g. backwards compatibility, when they are trying to hack ("optimize") their drivers to yield 0.2% better results in Crysis 3 multiplayer and 3DMark benchmarks.

Maybe I just need to revert back to some old NVidia drivers from last year, and tell the drivers not to check for updates. As long as I have that option too.
Post edited August 03, 2013 by timppu
timppu: - Every now and then (like 10 minutes ago, maybe 1-2 times a week), my Win7 gets a bit stuck, and then the screen brightness goes to full and Windows says my graphics driver had crashed (but recovered). After that things seem to work normally, as long as I lower the brightness again so that it doesn't hurt my eyes.

- Even more often, Windows stops for like 5 seconds completely (even mouse stops moving), but continues fine after that. This seems to happen only during web browsing and such, not e.g. gaming (fortunately). Of course this could be anything, but I am suspecting this is also due to the graphics driver, and might be even related to the previous problem (ie. sometimes that "stuck"-situation just ends up in the graphics driver crashing, while sometimes not)
Huh, and I was worrying that's just my GPU overheating.
Fenixp: Huh, and I was worrying that's just my GPU overheating.
When I bought my ati 6850 oc.. It is faulty all the time I have to underclock memory clock to 900 when I open my PC.. I hate it so much that I spit on it. =)

Edit: also I wish I had money to upgrade my processor from phenom 1 to something else.
Post edited August 03, 2013 by Antimateria
timppu: - Even more often, Windows stops for like 5 seconds completely (even mouse stops moving), but continues fine after that. This seems to happen only during web browsing and such, not e.g. gaming (fortunately). Of course this could be anything, but I am suspecting this is also due to the graphics driver, and might be even related to the previous problem (ie. sometimes that "stuck"-situation just ends up in the graphics driver crashing, while sometimes not).
I can't speak for you, of course, but this has happened to me twice, and both times it was the motherboard reaching critical mass.

EDIT: And yes, this didn't affect gaming as far as I remember. Fuck knows why. It did make launching a game pretty arduous, though.
Post edited August 03, 2013 by AlKim
Anything's possible, I guess. Maybe I need to keep staring at CoreTemp and GPU-Z, whether the CPU and/or GPU temperatures seem abnormally high. Currently they don't, the max where any CPU core has visited e.g. during this session is 50 Celsius, and for the GPU 60 Celsius degrees (and now they are considerably below that).

Also normally if the system temperature gets higher, the system reacts by spinning the fan faster, which you can hear the easiest when you play some graphically heavy game. That doesn't happen in this case.

Anyways, these occasional problems started after I updated to the latest NVidia drivers (320.18), so if they persist. maybe I indeed downgrade to some older drivers and see if I still face any issues. Especially if that brings the compatibility back to a couple of older games, as it has been reported elsewhere too that these 320.x NVidia drivers cause backwards compatibility problems to some older Windows games.

I had a bit similar (but worse) problems on my work PC. They disappeared after I updated to the newest graphics drivers. That also lead me to believe this is at least somehow related to graphics drivers, also as the drivers sometimes crash altogether on their own.

AlKim: I can't speak for you, of course, but this has happened to me twice, and both times it was the motherboard reaching critical mass.

EDIT: And yes, this didn't affect gaming as far as I remember. Fuck knows why. It did make launching a game pretty arduous, though.
What does "reaching critical mass" mean?

No problems launching games here, fortunately. :)
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/3/4585700/president-obama-vetoes-samsung-patent-ban-on-iphone-4-and-select-ipads

A big FU to Obama. But I guess one couldn't expect less.

Does Samsung still dare to make rectangular phones, in order not to infringe Apple's vital "patents"?
Was on wikipedia, one thing led to another, and I accidentally ended up reading about mass killings for 2 hours.
Now I just wish everyone would launch the nukes and put this shitty species out of its misery.

Why do I keep doing this? I know how it will make me feel, but I just can't help myself. I guess I want to try to understand why and how these types of things happen, but every time I just end up wishing the nukes would be launched.

And what right do I have to complain about this? Should I just shut up and mind my own business? Should I stop being informed of any news stories altogether from now on? I honestly don't know.

:/
AdamR: Was on wikipedia, one thing led to another, and I accidentally ended up reading about mass killings for 2 hours.
Now I just wish everyone would launch the nukes and put this shitty species out of its misery.
You got so fascinated by mass killings that you'd like to help it with nukes? ;)

Update: The "Geforce driver has crashed (and recovered)" error just happened again. According to CoreTemp and GPU-Z, the CPU or GPU were not overheating (CPU cores were at about 40 Celsius, and GPU at 57 Celsius; that's where they normally stay with normal Win7 desktop usage). So unless the sensors are failing to report overheating, it doesn't seem to be about that (and the machine doesn't feel hot anyway, and the fans are not screaming as they are trying to push hot air out).

I am still suspecting some NVidia driver bugs, or maybe Firefox somehow triggers it as well. Not sure.
Post edited August 04, 2013 by timppu
timppu: What does "reaching critical mass" mean?
I had two identical motherboards break down in four months and they both showed those same symptoms. Luckily both were covered by warranty.
I had a totally creepy experience today. I dropped by my grandmother's place two hours ago. She's blind and schizophrenic. Just as I was about the leave and she was following me in order to lock the door behind me the phone started ringing - so she suddenly took a left turn to the living room, totally forgetting or ignoring that she was supposed to lock the door behind me. That was actually kind of a funny moment. I went past her to the living room and asked her whether I should pick up the phone as she was still far away and would probably miss the call. She insisted on picking it up herself. So I just stood by, waiting for her to answer the call. She didn't make it, the phone stopped ringing. Despite that she picked up the phone with a delay of like ten seconds. She instantly said "oh, good day sir! how are you today?". I tried to listen, couldn't hear anybody. She hung up, I asked her who it was. With her friendliest casual voice she replied: "oh, just some woman - she didn't actually say anything but I heard some breathing, definitely a young woman's". Somewhat disturbed and confused I picked up the phone myself then, only heard the regular ringing tone and hung up. I looked at her sitting silently on the couch with a huge smile on her face. I'm used to her behaving weirdly, talking to herself and stuff but I was still totally creeped out.
Post edited August 04, 2013 by F4LL0UT