It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

F4LL0UT: For the first time in my life I'm at a point where I have to turn down an offer that would be financially quite rewarding. Being a musician I was offered a chance to create arrangements for a professional singer who happens to be the boyfriend of a girl I met at university. She's a party girl who's dancing and drinking her brains out at clubs and he's one of those guys who "make" the music other people are dancing and drinking their brains out to. The offer didn't sound so bad although I was reluctant at first because a) I don't have any experience with that particular kind of music and b) I'd only be some guy who somehow helped him in the background - I'd actually compose and produce the music but since both regular people and the media are ignorant assholes he'd receive all the credit. Still, I'd get some money, more material in my portfolio and new connections. So I decided to do it. Then I started the research. It's a primitive and cheesy kind of music, stuff you will only find in Eastern Europe. But still, it's fun, I also enjoy the mood when this stuff plays at parties - so I told myself "cool, I'll do it, it'll be fun and I'll make money and perhaps get some additional attention - and technically it's gonna be a walk in the park". But I did one attempt, another one, then another one... it didn't sound right. I did some more research and another attempt... it sounded good but I didn't quite get the mood and style... and then something horrible occurred to me - my mind is unable to create this kind of stuff. Not because I don't have the skills, oh no... it's because my mind is forcing me to create GOOD music. And in order to create something that meets the requirements I'd have to create CRAP. I can create crap but I can't! I just can't give other people music I wouldn't want to sign with my name. I'd actually be ashamed for doing that kind of work, I couldn't look into the mirror anymore. Then I took another look at the professional stuff from this genre and I almost threw up. It occurred to me that not just the music is primitive, not just the culture is primitive, all the people involved are - and they infect other people with that idiocy. Not only do they live in a dreamworld where they are super attractive and super smart, they make other people want to be like them - uneducated stupid fucks who get pussy for acting like a monkey in front of a camera. They represent everything I hate in modern society. I'd rather bash these people's faces in than support them in any way. So tomorrow I'll proudly tell them what I think of them and that they better don't call me until they've grown out of their diapers.
I couldn't do it either. Thank you for not caving (unless you did, in which case you can disregard that) :-)
strixo: Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods. The lights begin to twinkle from the rocks: The long day wanes: the slow moon climbs: the deep Moans round with many voices. …Come, my friends, 'Tis not too late to seek a newer world. Push off, and sitting well in order smite The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths Of all the western stars, until I die. It may be that the gulfs will wash us down: It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles, And see the great Achilles, whom we knew. Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though We are not now that strength which in old days Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Dead Poets whoo! :-)
Post edited October 22, 2012 by DieRuhe
DieRuhe: Thank you for not caving (unless you did, in which case you can disregard that) :-)
Nah, didn't do it and won't anymore. Watched some more recordings of this guy's concerts and just thought "screw him".

On a different note: don't know if my relationship is gonna make it (not in any way related to the previous "bitching"). Life sucks. I mean, generally life is great of course but it sucks that never ever all things can simply be good at once - whenever something gets too good I can be sure that something else will result in a disaster.
Post edited October 22, 2012 by F4LL0UT
Just felt like a quick little rant!

My job is starting to get to me now to the point where I think ive given up caring... mainly due to the fact I (along with a lot of other people I work with) are trying to work as hard as we can to keep the organization above water but each day rules that had been made are suddenly obsolete so we end up giving people old information because the managers who decide to change things on a whim overnight dont have the foresight to just tell us (it wouldnt make a difference to me but I still need to know if my job role has changed overnight)... needless to say I look like a total idiot most days now.

Hopefully things will settle down! anyway thanks for letting me rant... I feel better now!
F4LL0UT: For the first time in my life I'm at a point where I have to turn down an offer that would be financially quite rewarding. Being a musician I was offered a chance to create arrangements for a professional singer who happens to be the boyfriend of a girl I met at university. She's a party girl who's dancing and drinking her brains out at clubs and he's one of those guys who "make" the music other people are dancing and drinking their brains out to. The offer didn't sound so bad although I was reluctant at first because a) I don't have any experience with that particular kind of music and b) I'd only be some guy who somehow helped him in the background - I'd actually compose and produce the music but since both regular people and the media are ignorant assholes he'd receive all the credit. Still, I'd get some money, more material in my portfolio and new connections. So I decided to do it. Then I started the research. It's a primitive and cheesy kind of music, stuff you will only find in Eastern Europe. But still, it's fun, I also enjoy the mood when this stuff plays at parties - so I told myself "cool, I'll do it, it'll be fun and I'll make money and perhaps get some additional attention - and technically it's gonna be a walk in the park". But I did one attempt, another one, then another one... it didn't sound right. I did some more research and another attempt... it sounded good but I didn't quite get the mood and style... and then something horrible occurred to me - my mind is unable to create this kind of stuff. Not because I don't have the skills, oh no... it's because my mind is forcing me to create GOOD music. And in order to create something that meets the requirements I'd have to create CRAP. I can create crap but I can't! I just can't give other people music I wouldn't want to sign with my name. I'd actually be ashamed for doing that kind of work, I couldn't look into the mirror anymore. Then I took another look at the professional stuff from this genre and I almost threw up. It occurred to me that not just the music is primitive, not just the culture is primitive, all the people involved are - and they infect other people with that idiocy. Not only do they live in a dreamworld where they are super attractive and super smart, they make other people want to be like them - uneducated stupid fucks who get pussy for acting like a monkey in front of a camera. They represent everything I hate in modern society. I'd rather bash these people's faces in than support them in any way. So tomorrow I'll proudly tell them what I think of them and that they better don't call me until they've grown out of their diapers.
You have my respect. Most people sell their souls for a little bit money nowadays. It is pathetic. But you didn't. I also turned down something financially rewarding recently because there are some things I wont do for money. For me, it is more important to be a respectable human being than to have some money in my pocket. And if you are not doing something you enjoy, you are not going to be able to give 100% and that won't get you anywhere in life so its not like choosing to keep your soul, hurt your future. I'm sure other financially rewarding opportunities will come to you. Opportunities that will allow you to create what you think is good music for money.
Post edited October 22, 2012 by langurmonkey
pugsarecool: Well, went on my first date ever tonight. I took a girl that's been a friend of mine for awhile to a haunted house. It was cute and crap there, we held hands and stuff. But then it was over, and that's when it took a turn for the worst. My best friend (Nick) was with me, and the girl I took brought a friend of hers too. So it was over and I'm like "Well..what should we do?" and we decided on we'd go to the gas station and get energy drinks. Well we get there, I offer to buy her a drink/food. She declines, and her friend does instead...isn't that my job? I mean, I had plenty of money.. Oh but it gets better. We're leaving, and Rage Against the Machine comes on the radio. I love RATM, so I start singing along. Not singing bad, not singing loud, just loud enough so Nick and I could rock out. Then, it gets totally silent in the car except for the radio, and my date's friend says "Man, this guy is weird." ..Seriously? First off, you're in my car, and I don't care what you think, I'm not taking you on the date. So, we go over to the grocery store for whatever reason. We go in and get some candy, and before we leave I have to test my bloodsugar (Type 1 Diabetic). So, I start testing it, and my date's friend who had no problem blabbing constantly the whole ride just becomes completely silent, once again making it super awkward. So I just commented to Nick about Dokken being on the radio and how sweet they are. xD Lastly, we decided we'd go back to the haunted house to go through one more time. Well, they're closed. So, we pull over on the side of the road, and my date calls her Dad to pick her and her friend up. (Dunno why I couldn't just drive them home..) So, we're sitting there. Once again, the friend who had no problem blabbing to my date the whole time and calling me weird pretty much to my face, manages to go completely silent. It was probably one of the most awkward moments of my life. So, my date suggests we get out of the car and stand outside and wait (probably so we could hold hands or something), I was all for it. But nope, her friend says "Sorry, we're not doing that, I'm not some freak." To sum it up, her Dad picked them up and the texts afterward were super awkward. I hope everything just goes alright, I really like her, and I think she at least *liked* me. Sorry if I'm seeming over dramatic in this post, I just wanted it to go really good and it went really bad, and I just needed to get all this crap off my chest. If you read it all, thanks for reading and looking.
Dude, obviously if you are friends with your date, she doesn't see you as a man she is attracted to and I doubt she likes you. Probably just decided to hang out with you out of boredom. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear. I'm not trying to burst your bubble here like an asshole. I'm trying to help you understand so you aren't ice skating up hill. I also think your date's friend acted the way she did because she probably wasn't into you or your best friend friend Nick so she didn't want to be there and wasn't comfortable. That is probably why the women wanted to be picked up by your date's dad. They were afraid of being trapped with you guys, I'm guessing. The best thing to do is find another woman to date. A woman who finds you attractive.

PS
And don't let it get to you. This kind of stuff has happened to the best of us. That is just the way life is...a pain in the ass, sometimes.
langurmonkey: You have my respect. Most people sell their souls for a little bit money nowadays. It is pathetic. But you didn't.
Glad other people think so but let's get real: maybe not doing something for such an abstract reason while money is scarce is just stupid. My GF certainly didn't think well of that decision and even when I explained my reasons and she said "okay" I knew that she didn't agree (but don't mistake her for a person who'd do anything for some money). Well, let's hope that I will be rewarded for my standards at some point.
langurmonkey: You have my respect. Most people sell their souls for a little bit money nowadays. It is pathetic. But you didn't.
F4LL0UT: Glad other people think so but let's get real: maybe not doing something for such an abstract reason while money is scarce is just stupid. My GF certainly didn't think well of that decision and even when I explained my reasons and she said "okay" I knew that she didn't agree (but don't mistake her for a person who'd do anything for some money). Well, let's hope that I will be rewarded for my standards at some point.
My reason was a lot more than an abstract reason. Your reason seemed to me, a lot more than an abstract reason too.

Here are some of your words

"And in order to create something that meets the requirements I'd have to create CRAP. I can create crap but I can't! I just can't give other people music I wouldn't want to sign with my name. I'd actually be ashamed for doing that kind of work, I couldn't look into the mirror anymore."

"They represent everything I hate in modern society. I'd rather bash these people's faces in than support them in any way."

If some people think you are stupid for not doing something in order to make money that will result in you not being able to look yourself in the mirror anymore, then obviously these people think money is the only thing that matters. No, there is more to life than money. Maybe your girlfriend doesn't really know that you would of had to make music you hate and support people you hate? It's not like you turned down a job because you think you are too good for it or because the job is boring or because the job is a lot of hard work when money is scarce. That would be stupid.
GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR FFS THERE HAS, AH FUCKIT

thank you - feel bit better now :)
My wallpaper is giving me nightmares and my WC is so narrow that I have to open the door and step out to pull up my pants.

Also my best friend disappointed me a lot lately by not being there when I needed her.
Well today I heard somebody say old movies and games suck compared to new ones and then later somebody said they will never play Fallout which they got for free here because its too old, said they wouldn't buy Hotline Miami outside Steam despite being cheaper on GOG in £ and then said GOG should provide Steam keys and he won't use because it sells old games
HUMANITY STOP FAILING ME
Oh shite Windows 8 is being or was released :/.
Post edited October 26, 2012 by nijuu
nijuu: Oh shite Windows 8 is being or was released :/.
Yup, buying it in a few hours!

Can't wait!
SimonG: Yup, buying it in a few hours!

Can't wait!
Good for you. Hope it turns out to be a megaturd like WinME LOL
Why hasn't MS sent me an email about my 15€ Win8 Pro upgrade??? I registered already last week or was it the week before that. EDIT: Scratch that, I got the campaign code. :)

I'm getting it just as a backup though, if I sometime get good enough reason use it instead of Win7 (e.g. if the MS Market becomes interesting enough and I want something from there). Using the preview release in two different cases didn't convince me yet to want to start using for its new features, which seem to have less use for desktop/laptop users, and more to touchscreen users. I didn't even see the promised performance increases compared to Windows 7 (and neither seem the tests I googled for), but maybe it is mainly related to CPU than GPU, so you'd see the increase only if you are bottlenecked by your CPU, not GPU? Just a guess.

And I did run into some game compatibility problems, surprisingly with quite new games (Batman Arkham Asylum and Crysis 2), but I'm sure those two cases will be ironed out soon, if they aren't already. But, as Win7 in itself already causes all kinds of quirks for running older games (how to change the General MIDI volume for games like GOG's Little Big Adventure? etc.), I am not keen to find out what new quirks Win8 will introduce.

By the way, I was surprised to notice in the Win8 wikipedia page that you can indeed install "metro-style apps" from outside the official MS Market... in all other editions except the basic (home desktop) version? So e.g. in my Win8 Pro I should have that possibility, but most of the home users will not? According to that page, even WinRT can.

Why did MS choose to lock down only one edition of Win8?

EDIT: It could be that I am misunderstanding the meaning of "sideloading". Ie., even on the other editions the originals have to come from Windows Store, but they can be moved between devices without downloading again from Windows Store, or something like that? Some Windows 8 expert can possibly clear that out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions#Comparison_chart

I wouldn't necessarily mind having a smartphone, or a tablet (with a detachable keyboard) with Windows 8, though. There I'm much more interested to at least find out how it will do.
Post edited October 26, 2012 by timppu
Snow.