It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
I find it odd that noone from GOG has stepped in with their blue print to address this after so many comments back and forth. My two cents is that the game has drm if it has any kind of online authentication for single player content. There is no question to that and GOG really needs to get with the program fast. Slick wording does not make drm any less of an issue on a drm free site.
Gnostic: So that means that if I don't go online, I will not get the complete single player experience for the game?
The game is full and absolutely playable offline and in single player mode.

The thing is: after OlliOlli, Spelunky, Super Time Force Ultra and *many* other games on GOG that only have Steam-exclusive content, for the first time, a developer decided to give GOG buyers their own exclusive content. That content comes in the form of exclusive booster items (which some would call "cheats") and unique treasure hunts, which are maps with timed challenged, unique to GOG in the GOG version. To enable these GOG exclusives, though, you have to go online and redeem a code you find in your game's page, inside your GOG library.

If you don't want to activate any of the extra content you are getting with your GOG copy of Victor Vran, there's no need whatsoever to go online, there's no phoning home, no limited installs, no nothing. Single player is single player and you can, most definitely, play single player offline. As for multiplayer, well, multiplayer is online, so, you do need to... go online in order to play with other people. But, if your definition of DRM is that... every multiplayer game played online has it, then you would think GOG has been selling DRM'd games for a long time, as Nox, System Shock 2, Rune Classic, Warsow, Worms 2/Worms World Party, Hammerwatch and a *whole* lot more feature online play. And you have to be connected to the internet to play online.

[EDIT] a bit like some of the Pay2Win models, you don't actually need to unlock the GOG extra content, especially the treasure hunts, because you'll eventually unlock it in-game by playing and grinding and levelling up. It's more like a nice gift to those who want it right from the start, albeit completely attainable in-game.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by groze
Gnostic: So that means that if I don't go online, I will not get the complete single player experience for the game?
groze: No. The game is full and absolutely playable offline and in single player mode.

The thing is: after OlliOlli, Spelunky, Super Time Force Ultra and *many* other games on GOG that only have Steam-exclusive content, for the first time, a developer decided to give GOG buyers their own exclusive content. That content comes in the form of exclusive booster items (which some would call "cheats") and unique treasure hunts, which are maps with timed challenged, unique to GOG in the GOG version. To enable these GOG exclusives, though, you have to go online and redeem a code you find in your game's page, inside your GOG library.

If you don't want to activate any of the extra content you are getting with your GOG copy of Victor Vran, there's no need whatsoever to go online, there's no phoning home, no limited installs, no nothing. Single player is single player and you can, most definitely, play single player offline. As for multiplayer, well, multiplayer is online, so, you do need to... go online in order to play with other people. But, if your definition of DRM is that... every multiplayer game played online has it, then you would think GOG has been selling DRM'd games for a long time, as Nox, System Shock 2, Rune Classic, Warsow, Worms 2/Worms World Party, Hammerwatch and a *whole* lot more feature online play. And you have to be connected to the internet to play online.
Please excuse me from breaking into your back and forth with the other person, but if exclusive content is blocked off from players through online activation, that is drm. GOG prides itself on being drm so to lock out exclusive GOG content through online activation was a really dumb idea even if the base single player experience is drm free.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by Scorpionscythe
groze: No. The game is full and absolutely playable offline and in single player mode.

Scorpionscythe: Please excuse me from breaking into your back and forth with the other person, but if exclusive content is blocked off from players through online activation, that is drm. GOG prides itself on being drm so to lock out exclusive GOG content through online activation was a really dumb idea even if the base single player experience is drm free.
I agree that is quite a problem, while it might not be game breking, it weakens GOG's stance on DRM, and people might begin to find ways to pirate that content in that case.
Scorpionscythe: Please excuse me from breaking into your back and forth with the other person, but if exclusive content is blocked off from players through online activation, that is drm. GOG prides itself on being drm so to lock out exclusive GOG content through online activation was a really dumb idea even if the base single player experience is drm free.
I excuse you but I'm not engaging in a discussion with you. I'm tired of all the vitriol that has been filling the GOG forums as of late, and I don't want any part in it.

I was answering a question a person asked concerning the game and how it works. You and others are just shouting and provoking and you don't want answers, you just want *to be right*, you want the game *to have/be DRM*, and nothing we will say or prove will change your opinion, so, as we say in Portugal: leva lá a bicicleta (you can take the bike).

Why don't enable GoG single player exclusive offline?

Where do we draw the line for online only single player exclusive? Cut content from the game to be online exclusive?
Gnostic: Why don't enable GoG single player exclusive offline?

Where do we draw the line for online only single player exclusive? Cut content from the game to be online exclusive?
Did you read my edit?

groze: [EDIT] a bit like some of the Pay2Win models, you don't actually need to unlock the GOG extra content, especially the treasure hunts, because you'll eventually unlock it in-game by playing and grinding and levelling up. It's more like a nice gift to those who want it right from the start, albeit completely attainable in-game.
They're not cutting anything out. I understand what you're trying to say and I get why so many people are frustrated, but I think this game is getting way more flak than it deserves. It's an awesome game, especially if you like ARPGs, and, in my opinion, 100% DRM-free. I understand why so many people think otherwise, but I don't see how having you connect to the internet to unlock earlier something you will unlock anyway makes it DRM.

groze: Did you read my edit?

groze: [EDIT] a bit like some of the Pay2Win models, you don't actually need to unlock the GOG extra content, especially the treasure hunts, because you'll eventually unlock it in-game by playing and grinding and levelling up. It's more like a nice gift to those who want it right from the start, albeit completely attainable in-game.
groze: They're not cutting anything out. I understand what you're trying to say and I get why so many people are frustrated, but I think this game is getting way more flak than it deserves. It's an awesome game, especially if you like ARPGs, and, in my opinion, 100% DRM-free. I understand why so many people think otherwise, but I don't see how having you connect to the internet to unlock earlier something you will unlock anyway makes it DRM.
So you mean I can get everything just by playing the game enough and does not need to go online at all once I downloaded the installer?

Thank you.
From what I quickly read it's content you can get in the game anyway, so it's not exclusive items not found anywhere in the game. So if you opt out of this 'deal' you won't lose any exclusive content other than a couple of items at the beginning of the game. However I might be mistaken and you can correct me if needed.
Senteria: From what I quickly read it's content you can get in the game anyway, so it's not exclusive items not found anywhere in the game. So if you opt out of this 'deal' you won't lose any exclusive content other than a couple of items at the beginning of the game. However I might be mistaken and you can correct me if needed.
You are not mistaken. I was getting scared by all the doomsaying going on in this thread, but then I watched the twitch stream and the devs put me at ease. Being a huge ARPG fan, I bought the game in the mean time and I can guarantee there's no content you can't access offline just by playing the game (I've only been playing for 4h30m, though). The treasure hunts are drops, you get them just like you get rare drops in most ARPGs, and the boosters are there as well, even though they're expensive as all hell, though attainable if you grind enough.
Scorpionscythe: I find it odd that noone from GOG has stepped in with their blue print to address this after so many comments back and forth. My two cents is that the game has drm if it has any kind of online authentication for single player content. There is no question to that and GOG really needs to get with the program fast. Slick wording does not make drm any less of an issue on a drm free site.
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_victor_vran_92633/post390/

Konrad: Hey everyone, we just want to let you know that we haven't abandoned ship on this topic, we're paying attention and we'd like to clear up a few of the things you brought up in the thread:

The game does not require GOG Galaxy at all, and it does not require an in-game account to access any offline features. You can access all of the game's offline content without ever being logged in or connected to the internet.

Online features:

The game does not require a GOG Galaxy account to connect to the online features, but it does require an in-game account to connect to the online features.

The online features include multiplayer, as well as the in-game key redemption system. Like a few of you mentioned, the latter is used for things like the Treasure Key that the devs provided with your game, and if they choose to distribute additional keys for any reason, that part is totally up to them.

Bonus content:

In short, you get specific in-game drops more quickly. Everything included in the GOG Treasure Key is present in-game, like regular loot. The items available are simply a few useful items that you can find during gameplay. The treasure key is basically a cheat code to get them right off the bat, nothing is locked behind it and nothing new is added to your game.
---

To see all replies by GOG staff in a forum thread, add:

/?staff=yes

to the end of the link. So:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_victor_vran_92633/?staff=yes
Post edited July 25, 2015 by SeduceMePlz
barleyguy: So the way to maintain DRM-free is to water down the definition?

The devs don't have to modify their game, just provide means for GOG to modify it for them. For the first several years of this site, and still with classic games, GOG does the DRM removal. The devs just need to agree to a distribution contract and allow GOG to remove the DRM.

I won't buy games that need an online check to install any component of the game. If I want to back up my games and cancel my internet, I should still be able to install them from the backup.

Frankly, if a developer or publisher doesn't understand that, I'm not going to buy their games, so I don't care if they are on here or not.
Fair enough. An understandable point. Here's where your point makes no sense in this discussion. The video game in question does not require any online validation to install anything in your computer because you literally have everything. What this validation does is literally tell files x,y,z in the game folder to move to your character's files. Something that, guess what? You can do yourself using the in game console. So this cheat code is like an easy way out for those people who don't realize in game consoles exist.

As for everyone else, people you should get all your information straight before making any claims.
Wow I was kinda amazed by the comment count that this game was getting, thinking this game is popular.

This one time login seems to me to be a cheat code pack similar to Bioshock Infinite's starter pack, to give only GOG members an exclusive advantage when starting the game.

And the only way to make sure its exclusive to GOG members is to check to see if it is indeed a GOG member using this pack via login. It doesn't seem to be that this is regular content being locked away but rather a cheat code pack as a bonus.

I do not consider this DRM and I hope this doesn't turn this dev and pub away from GOG in the future.
31 pages?

Oh...

groze: Did you read my edit?

groze: They're not cutting anything out. I understand what you're trying to say and I get why so many people are frustrated, but I think this game is getting way more flak than it deserves. It's an awesome game, especially if you like ARPGs, and, in my opinion, 100% DRM-free. I understand why so many people think otherwise, but I don't see how having you connect to the internet to unlock earlier something you will unlock anyway makes it DRM.
One feature that was specifically advertised as DRM free is in fact built using DRM. That's not 100% DRM free as far as I can tell.

I understand that you can gain *access* to the game content without making use of that DRM feature, but that's another thing again.
opticq: And the only way to make sure its exclusive to GOG members is to check to see if it is indeed a GOG member using this pack via login. It doesn't seem to be that this is regular content being locked away but rather a cheat code pack as a bonus.
That is certainly *not* the only way. There are many possible ways from simply providing an additional file in the download which contains the code that the game silently uses without phoning home, or by providing a different build that is specific to GOG, or any other number of fairly straightforward measures that do not require an online check.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by jsjrodman