It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings, Hunters!

<span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, an action filled next step in aRPG design, is available now for Windows and Mac - complete with GOG Galaxy Achievements, DRM-free, and 10% off for the first week!

In a genre that's seen immense highs and extended lows, it seems that we're always waiting for the secret formula for the perfect action RPG. Some say it's all about an overwhelming amount of loot, upgrades and treats galore. Others choose to experiment with new and innovative ways to connect their players, or to give them new types of control over making their character one of a kind. Victor Vran brings its own answers to the table.

It's a game that places movement and action first, truly putting the "action" in the aRPG, eliminating the boundaries of a traditional class system, and opting for freeform gear-based progression. A combat-oriented approach doesn't mean that Victor Vran is lacking in the other departments either - there's plenty of loot to collect and increasingly awesome weapons to find (including what looks an awful lot like a lightsaber) as well as innovative character progression. All that's there, however, is enhanced by an unprecedented movement system that will have you (and up to 4 of your co-op buddies) leaping, dodging and wallrunning. It's a game where survival is based on so much more than how hard you can hit.

GOG.com Exclusive Bonus
For a little something special, your copy of the game will come with a one-time-use GOG.com-exclusive Treasure Key! Just log in to your GOG.com account, start your single-player game, and redeem it in-game for a fountain of gold and the following drops:

- Med Kit (Legendary) - An endless healing potion.
- Hope Destiny Card (Uncommon) - Provides additional health when equipped. Can be equipped on level 2.
- Diamond Demon Power (Uncommon) - Creates a protective shield. Can be equipped immediately.
- Gift Box - A box that can be opened for random loot.
- Red, Green and Blue dyes - Used to colorize your outfit. Transmutation unlocks at level 16.

Q&A With The Devs
Have questions about the game that only the devs can answer? Join the team behind Victor Vran for a special Q&A session this coming Monday!
Boyan (Lead Designer) and Momchil (Designer) from Haemimont Games will be visiting our forums on Monday (July 27) starting 6pm GMT (8pm CEST / 2pm EST / 11am PST to answer all your questions about the game, the life behind game development, or their favorite type of sandwich. Save the date, stay tuned for the announcement thread, and come hang out with us.

Experience the definition of "a" in aRPG with <span class="bold">Victor Vran</span>, DRM-free on GOG.com! The launch discount will last for one week, until Friday, July 31, at 9:59 AM GMT.
lazydog: Does that apply to this case? Genuine question.
mrkgnao: Not sure I understand the question. Please elaborate.
I shall try.

If I installed this game in question and stood still for an online authentication for the 'extras' involved, subsequently uninstalled and reinstalled, would I have to re-authenticate for the extras? Would this even be possible?

In addition, if I installed this game on another rig and stood still again for another authentication, would the 'extras' still be available?

I point this out because I have doubts. I see you own Defcon and the changelog says nothing about removing permanent on-line checks-only a better offline functionality.
MaGo72: Thick skin? I do not know which thread you read, but people here are having a discussion if an ingame online claiming mechanism for single player purposes is ok in a drm free store.

Nobody got called names, no swear words, no defamation, no personal attacks. Actually the GOG community is a place where such discussions can take place without being derailed by personal attacks or any moderators to ban people.

edit:
Looking at the reviews and what I saw on twitch, this seems like a very good game. And the game itself is not what is being discussed from my point of view..
I never doubted it'd be good, it does look gorgeous and the combat mechanic sounds interesting enough. It isn't my kind of game however, ARPGs are just not my thing.

Controversy aside, I'm very glad to see this kind of game on GOG.

By thick skin I meant it in reference to BK's mention of the possibility of the developer being disheartened by all this e-drama. I'm pretty sure they've seen far worse though.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by j0ekerr
high rated
mrkgnao: Not sure I understand the question. Please elaborate.
lazydog: I shall try.

If I installed this game in question and stood still for an online authentication for the 'extras' involved, subsequently uninstalled and reinstalled, would I have to re-authenticate for the extras? Would this even be possible?

In addition, if I installed this game on another rig and stood still again for another authentication, would the 'extras' still be available?

I point this out because I have doubts. I see you own Defcon and the changelog says nothing about removing permanent on-line checks-only a better offline functionality.
I still don't understand. BKGaming and throgh were discussing DRM and specifically GOG games that have a serial number or key for multiplayer. All I did is use MaGog to supply throgh with the list of GOG games that have these multiplayer serial numbers/keys in one's account.

I don't know what extras you are talking about. Are you talking about Victor Vran or some other game from the link I supplied?

For Victor Vran, my current understanding (based on reading here, reading on steam, and listening to the twitch stream) is that:
1) There is a GOG-exclusive cheat that requires online authentication. If you get the cheat online, you can use it only once (one machine, one playthrough).
2) There are some "treasure hunts" (side quests?) that you can only get by playing online and finding dropped scrolls.

I don't want to argue whether these two are DRM or not. For all I care, one could call them QZV. Regardless, this is not something I would want on GOG. Others will disagree.

Limited use of any kind (one-time-use cheat) and intentionally missing content (treasure hunts available only online) are things I detest.
Post edited July 25, 2015 by mrkgnao
well now I know what this is all about.. I been gone off the forums for almost a month so good filler for me.
throgh: No I'm not searching for another reason to continue. Perhabs you've read my last conclusion here?

Seems that at all I could not count me to the target group for this game. Perhabs giving this another look when the linux-version is available. But with the missing LAN-mode it won't be my favorite. The splitscreen sounds like a little bit of fun though but it cannot replace a good LAN-session with friends or family. :-)

And just to note: Yes, I have a problem with centralized structures. As you have note the "multiplayer in 2015" that is not my personal expectation. I don't want to rent servers playing on and refuse strings attached. In fact: ONLINE-multiplayer is functional by that way. But I'm speaking about LAN-modes with no internet-connection.
HijacK: LAN could be a good addition which I would support, but as far as online multiplayer goes I think people need to understand there needs to be some kind of management. Let's take this "no strings attached" view many of the people on this thread hold and transcend it into daily life. Is an idealistic system of anarchy truly better than a flawed governmental type?
I doubt we can discuss such a complex thesis within this thread, but not based on the fact that there is no interest. More that this would give the discussion a very off-topic course. For me: The idealistic way, but there would a bunch of work for everyone of us here. Reflected to the game: Both options would be cool. A LAN-option for the private party and then for more fun with wider size the account-based. Why not? Nice one.

BKGaming: Well I'm just giving you the broad definition of an online check in gaming (particularly PC), this has been what an online check is since DRM in relation to the internet became a thing...

So I won't argue with you and just leave you with that...
Nah, in fact there is no point to argue about. I have very much respect for the single arguments within here and my hat going up for all of you. Nice and respectful discussion, at some point also emotional but perhabs this also shows up that there are people here who care of this game. :-)
mrkgnao: I still don't understand. BKGaming and throgh were discussing DRM and specifically GOG games that have a serial number or key for multiplayer. All I did is use MaGog to supply throgh with the list of GOG games that have these multiplayer serial numbers/keys in one's account.
Oh sorry if this brought the discussion besides the main point. Was not my intention!
Post edited July 25, 2015 by throgh
HijacK: Seeing this type of backlash can potentially drive game publishers and devs away, but they can't simply advertise themselves as "Hey, you know, our community will go bat shit toxic on you if you do this, you know?" That's not a smart move to attracting more business.
Well, they could probably express their concerns in a more diplomatic way, but I do think GOG, in cooperation with devs and publishers, could potentially avoid these "shitstorms".

Then again, perhaps they don't really care? When you look at the situation more closely, how many unique users are complaining in this thread? Chances are, they're a minority among the total number of forum users. Which in turn is only a fragment of GOG's entire customer base.

Either way, if it is indeed a good game, then I hope it will sell well. ( And I also hope people will give it fair rating, after they've played it, and not just spam it with minimum ratings for questionable reasons. )
In hindsight this controversy has mostly been a dialogue between breams.

It's an idiom.

DRM or not, (and I personally think it has no real DRM to speak of) this seems like a damn good game.
I thought the "30 pages" was a bug, I guess people are expressing frustration at the GOG Galaxy implementation and the exclusive bonus.
CharlesGrey: Well, they could probably express their concerns in a more diplomatic way, but I do think GOG, in cooperation with devs and publishers, could potentially avoid these "shitstorms".

Then again, perhaps they don't really care? When you look at the situation more closely, how many unique users are complaining in this thread? Chances are, they're a minority among the total number of forum users. Which in turn is only a fragment of GOG's entire customer base.

Either way, if it is indeed a good game, then I hope it will sell well. ( And I also hope people will give it fair rating, after they've played it, and not just spam it with minimum ratings for questionable reasons. )
This...+1 for "reasonableness".
tfishell: I thought the "30 pages" was a bug, I guess people are expressing frustration at the GOG Galaxy implementation and the exclusive bonus.
Galaxy is not needed.

Frustration (for some) relates to:
1) There is a GOG-exclusive cheat that requires online authentication. If you get the cheat online, you can use it only once (one machine, one playthrough).
2) There are some "treasure hunts" (side quests?) that you can only get by playing online and finding dropped scrolls there.

[Disclaimer: this is my understanding, based on reading here, reading on steam, and listening to the twitch stream, not on actually testing the game]
Post edited July 25, 2015 by mrkgnao

mrkgnao: I still don't understand. BKGaming and throgh were discussing DRM and specifically GOG games that have a serial number or key for multiplayer. All I did is use MaGog to supply throgh with the list of GOG games that have these multiplayer serial numbers/keys in one's account.

I don't know what extras you are talking about. Are you talking about Victor Vran or some other game from the link I supplied?

For Victor Vran, my current understanding (based on reading here, reading on steam, and listening to the twitch stream) is that:
2) There are some "treasure hunts" (side quests?) that you can only get by playing online and finding dropped scrolls.

I don't want to argue whether these two are DRM or not. For all I care, one could call them QZV. Regardless, this is not something I would want on GOG. Others will disagree.

Limited use of any kind (one-time-use cheat) and intentionally missing content (treasure hunts available only online) are things I detest.
Thank you for the reply.

Reviewing what was said for Victor Vran by Gog, I needn't have bothered you-in fact I was about to edit my earlier post.

I will not argue with you on whether or not this is DRM either. I do agree with you that I don't want this kind of approach on Gog though. But I will will bow out of this now.
HijacK: LAN could be a good addition which I would support, but as far as online multiplayer goes I think people need to understand there needs to be some kind of management. Let's take this "no strings attached" view many of the people on this thread hold and transcend it into daily life. Is an idealistic system of anarchy truly better than a flawed governmental type?
throgh: I doubt we can discuss such a complex thesis within this thread, but not based on the fact that there is no interest. More that this would give the discussion a very off-topic course. For me: The idealistic way, but there would a bunch of work for everyone of us here. Reflected to the game: Both options would be cool. A LAN-option for the private party and then for more fun with wider size the account-based. Why not? Nice one.

BKGaming: Well I'm just giving you the broad definition of an online check in gaming (particularly PC), this has been what an online check is since DRM in relation to the internet became a thing...

So I won't argue with you and just leave you with that...
throgh: Nah, in fact there is no point to argue about. I have very much respect for the single arguments within here and my hat going up for all of you. Nice and respectful discussion, at some point also emotional but perhabs this also shows up that there are people here who care of this game. :-)
throgh: Oh sorry if this brought the discussion besides the main point. Was not my intention!
Regarding Private servers/offline servers
There are some issues with that.
I have played a couple of games on private servers and the biggest issue with it, is security.
Its way easyer for somone to steal your account on a private server than on a dedicated server like forexample WoW.

I can see that the inclusion of lan woud be an argument though
since you are likly to play with close friends and not strangers.
It also is a great asset if the day comes the servers close.
IF its a only multiplayer game it kinda sucks for those that still want to play it but they cant with closed servers.
Lan kinda solves that.
HijacK: Seeing this type of backlash can potentially drive game publishers and devs away, but they can't simply advertise themselves as "Hey, you know, our community will go bat shit toxic on you if you do this, you know?" That's not a smart move to attracting more business.
CharlesGrey: Well, they could probably express their concerns in a more diplomatic way, but I do think GOG, in cooperation with devs and publishers, could potentially avoid these "shitstorms".

Very good point, but I don't think it's a matter of caring. They may care, but I don't think they can afford driving devs away. After all, they need to be successful in order to attract more people, devs, and publishers. This account thing is one of the downsides of growth. In it's earlier days GOG may have been bold enough to say no and demand the devs to modify the game, but with growth comes compromise. In order to ensure the success of this DRM-free revolution small things like this must fall through the cracks in order to attract more interest. Otherwise we would be customers to a very nieche store that has a growth smaller than the rate at which continents get closer to each other.
This is the most efficient way of combating Steam and assuring DRM free is a thing.

HijacK: Very good point, but I don't think it's a matter of caring. They may care, but I don't think they can afford driving devs away. After all, they need to be successful in order to attract more people, devs, and publishers. This account thing is one of the downsides of growth. In it's earlier days GOG may have been bold enough to say no and demand the devs to modify the game, but with growth comes compromise. In order to ensure the success of this DRM-free revolution small things like this must fall through the cracks in order to attract more interest. Otherwise we would be customers to a very nieche store that has a growth smaller than the rate at which continents get closer to each other.
This is the most efficient way of combating Steam and assuring DRM free is a thing.
So the way to maintain DRM-free is to water down the definition?

The devs don't have to modify their game, just provide means for GOG to modify it for them. For the first several years of this site, and still with classic games, GOG does the DRM removal. The devs just need to agree to a distribution contract and allow GOG to remove the DRM.

I won't buy games that need an online check to install any component of the game. If I want to back up my games and cancel my internet, I should still be able to install them from the backup.

Frankly, if a developer or publisher doesn't understand that, I'm not going to buy their games, so I don't care if they are on here or not.

So that means that if I don't go online, I will not get the complete single player experience for the game?