It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alien nation.

Outcast - Second Contact is now available 45% off until February 5, 2PM UTC.
Welcome back to the open world of Adelpha, now looking and handling better than ever! Join smug, gruff, and resourceful military man Cutter Slade as he finds himself stranded on this fascinating alien planet, both hunted and revered by the warring local factions.

Rebuilt from the ground up, this is a complete remake which perfectly captures the sense of exploration, challenge, and discovery that the beloved original is known for.
It's kinda sad that they went through all the effort of remaking it all and then decide to change Cutter into a generic Nathan Drake-a-like.
Guys & Gals @GOG, you are absolutely awesome! Thanks a lot!!
SeduceMePlz: I got a Star Wars vibe, too. I think it's the music.
Vythonaut: Yeah, must be the music in conjunction with the various sound effects.
I just watched Star Wars episodes I-VI for the first time this past week. I've been really feeling like playing a good, or several, Star Wars games. Your comments have made me watch the trailer and I get the same vibe with the lasers and the musical score. Perhaps I need to pick this game up...
Vythonaut: Yeah, must be the music in conjunction with the various sound effects.
guppy44: I just watched Star Wars episodes I-VI for the first time this past week. I've been really feeling like playing a good, or several, Star Wars games. Your comments have made me watch the trailer and I get the same vibe with the lasers and the musical score. Perhaps I need to pick this game up...
Wow nice, must have been a hell of a week for you! Just don't stop there, there are already a couple of recently released SW to watch, and i heard mostly good things about them (i'm yet to watch them myself). :)
Insta-bought, it was hard to get into the original as the controls were shit if you don't type very well as you need to look at the keys while typing if you aren't very good at it...But yeah, snagging this as it's in my cart until payday!
The original Outcast is still great to play nowadays. This remake is just a curiosity for me.
Great game, well worth playing. Unfortuanate I bought the remake on Steam when it came out.
tarasis: Great game, well worth playing. Unfortuanate I bought the remake on Steam when it came out.
It seems the GOG DRM-free version of games only comes out after the DRM market is exhausted first. Are there exceptions? I haven't been a customer of GOG long enough to know the history.
I waited for the GOG release to buy, and yet it is missing achievements and goodies. Released on GOG months after other platforms, and it doesn't even include the achievements that the Steam version has and no free goodies either. I hate when this happens, because I'd rather buy here, but it looks like I'm disappointed again. GOG's once ubiquitous practice of providing free goodies is now the rarest of the rare, and they still aren't pushing devs to include GOG Galaxy achievements in order to provide some sort of platform parity.
badon: It seems the GOG DRM-free version of games only comes out after the DRM market is exhausted first. [...]
From what I gather it's a little bit more complicated than that. The Steam store has (for whatever reason) the most customers/registered accounts. So when mid-sized and small developers release a game, they have to have some form of PR - without hiring a PR team and without paying for tons of ads on the internet which will be blocked anyway... This is not because they're stingy but because creating video games is not the cash cow it sometimes appears to be from the outside. Not every game gets to be as successful as Undertale... So for those studios, the best way to make potential customers look at their games is the Steam... front page(?)*. From there the potential customers are funneled towards new releases and bestsellers. Now... for some inexplicable reason that absolutely bewilders me people think the majority of other people don't know what they are talking about, what they are doing and discard their spiritual believes. Yet: When it comes to buying stuff, they look at what others have bought. Humans are crazy, I tell you...
*cough* Where was I? Ah! Potential customers look at new releases and at games that sold well. Releasing a game (an actual feature complete game - not the typical steam shovelware) generates a bit of a spike in sales. Showing up in the bestseller list can make that sales spike into a bit of a wave of sales for that particular game. So in order to maximize their sales, all the small and mid-sized developers have a heavy financial inclination to make that spike and the following wave as big as possible. GOG's sales don't add to those metrics on Steam. So developers ride out the wave of sales on the biggest store for as long as they can. For those studios this is not about piracy - it's about being discovered at all and survival in an oversaturated market.

At least that is how I understand the situation. "{{Citation Needed}}" ;)

Shout-out to the team behind West of Loathing, who has brought a lot of this to my attention.

* I'm sorry. I actually have only heard/read people talk about it and have yet to see that page. I only visit specific Steam pages when I find them in duckduckgo - in a Tor browser window...
HeartsAndRainbows: in a Tor browser window...
A fellow Tor user! I use Tor for everything, all the time. Everyone should use Tor. Me shopping for games helps to bury all the other Tor users in my noise. Win-win.
HeartsAndRainbows: Shout-out to the team behind West of Loathing, who has brought a lot of this to my attention.
This increased the odds I will eventually acquire this game. Thanks for the recommendation ;)
Post edited January 31, 2018 by badon
badon: It seems the GOG DRM-free version of games only comes out after the DRM market is exhausted first. [...]
HeartsAndRainbows: From what I gather it's a little bit more complicated than that. The Steam store has (for whatever reason) the most customers/registered accounts. So when mid-sized and small developers release a game, they have to have some form of PR - without hiring a PR team and without paying for tons of ads on the internet which will be blocked anyway... This is not because they're stingy but because creating video games is not the cash cow it sometimes appears to be from the outside. Not every game gets to be as successful as Undertale... So for those studios, the best way to make potential customers look at their games is the Steam... front page(?)*. From there the potential customers are funneled towards new releases and bestsellers. Now... for some inexplicable reason that absolutely bewilders me people think the majority of other people don't know what they are talking about, what they are doing and discard their spiritual believes. Yet: When it comes to buying stuff, they look at what others have bought. Humans are crazy, I tell you...
*cough* Where was I? Ah! Potential customers look at new releases and at games that sold well. Releasing a game (an actual feature complete game - not the typical steam shovelware) generates a bit of a spike in sales. Showing up in the bestseller list can make that sales spike into a bit of a wave of sales for that particular game. So in order to maximize their sales, all the small and mid-sized developers have a heavy financial inclination to make that spike and the following wave as big as possible. GOG's sales don't add to those metrics on Steam. So developers ride out the wave of sales on the biggest store for as long as they can. For those studios this is not about piracy - it's about being discovered at all and survival in an oversaturated market.

At least that is how I understand the situation. "{{Citation Needed}}" ;)

Shout-out to the team behind West of Loathing, who has brought a lot of this to my attention.

* I'm sorry. I actually have only heard/read people talk about it and have yet to see that page. I only visit specific Steam pages when I find them in duckduckgo - in a Tor browser window...
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/suggest_games_esp_indie_with_less_than_300_wishlist_votes_that_people_should_vote_for/post118
I think I remember this game (well, the original) as "the game with Stargates that is not Stargate", but I never played it. What does the gameplay feels like? Does it focus on exploration, story, combat...? Are all weapons guns?
Post edited January 31, 2018 by Caesar.
Mr.Mumbles: Because they already unsuccessfully tried to crowdfund just that. Also, there's a huge difference in budgetary needs between remaking a game that's all laid out already (afaik, most of the original audio is reused) and starting a new one from scratch.
Oh, I didn't know about that crowdfunding campaign. That's sad, then. I probably would've backed it if I had heard about it. It's tough to get the PR and traction to make campaigns like that work, I definitely think Outcast would have had a big enough following to make it work, if the word had spread better.

I'm sure reusing assets makes some difference in budget. But then I also assume that re-doing all the textures, 3D models, etc. is still very expensive even if the originals can be used as a foundation.

It's not simple, I agree with you. Especially considering, if you don't invest enough in the right people for the new content (stories, characters, …) your sequel is going to piss off more players than it will please.

It's just that the production values seemed relatively high to my untrained eye, and my gut reaction was, I'd rather have a proper "Outcast 2" even if it was closer to the tech of the original, than playing the same game again in prettier.

HereForTheBeer: It would make sense to do a remake of a long-ago title like this one, if a company were planning a sequel. That would re-prime the pump for the sequel, and would also let them test out the new game engine for bugs and such without having to dump resources at the same time into creating the story.
Now that is a positive way of looking at things =) maybe they'll give that kickstarter another go after the remake?

Klumpen0815: It even uses Unity and they didn't compile it for Linux?
Great, I especially love when that happens, which is quite often.
From what I know, cross-platform is still a lot of work, even when using a multi-target engine like Unity, and even if all the targetted platforms are desktop operating systems. You need to keep your intended target platforms in mind all through development, because not everything works everywhere, or everywhere the same. Even as a 100% Windows user I would still appreciate if they also released it for other platforms. It's a valid approach to focus on getting one platform right before handling the others, though, so fingers crossed.
To GOG,

According to the game forum it does not have the 2 major patches from steam that actually make the game a lot more enjoyable... is that true? If yes, when can we expect the patches?
Post edited February 01, 2018 by IFW