It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alien nation.

Outcast - Second Contact is now available 45% off until February 5, 2PM UTC.
Welcome back to the open world of Adelpha, now looking and handling better than ever! Join smug, gruff, and resourceful military man Cutter Slade as he finds himself stranded on this fascinating alien planet, both hunted and revered by the warring local factions.

Rebuilt from the ground up, this is a complete remake which perfectly captures the sense of exploration, challenge, and discovery that the beloved original is known for.
MightyPinecone: Does this mean that the original will be bundled with the new version, [...]
HunchBluntley: If it wasn't done on this game's release, it probably won't happen (at least, not any time soon). Besides, the two games are officially handled by two different publishers here.
Thanks, that's good to hear.
high rated
I'm not sure how I feel about this massive avalanche of remakes and "remasters" these days. It seems to me that those are projects better left to enthusiast fan modding communities.

They obviously have the rights to the name and story elements, they have the budget and manpower, and they have the technology to make a good game – so, I'm left wondering, why are we getting this instead of a proper sequel?

I just imagine that that would have made true fans of the original so much more happier than just a remake, while those who didn't play the original or are too young too know it, probably don't care what old game it is or isn't based on. Everybody seems so reluctant to create original content.

But sorry, I don't want to be Debbie Downer =)
Post edited January 29, 2018 by Anamon
Klumpen0815: Does the remake also feature the original soundtrack played by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra and Choir?
Don't know if it is the original soundtrack but there is a soundtrack availlable on Steam as a seperate DLC. Here not or not yet.

The golden weapon DLC is missing too.
Anamon: I'm not sure how I feel about this massive avalanche of remakes and "remasters" these days. It seems to me that those are projects better left to enthusiast fan modding communities. ...
I generally agree with you. However, with Outcast there's a title I might be willing to pay for a remake. I usually don't replay any games, but I do have fond memories of this one and a proper remake might get me playing it a second time.
trusteft: From the store page and I quote: Outcast – Second Contact is the complete remake of the cult title Outcast. As the first 3D open world in the history of video games

So they are just lying now? lol
Not sure how I feel about the prospect of buying this remake when they just lie lol.

I guess none of the Elite games were open world 3D for them, or a variety of RPGs, or MidWinter, Flames of Freedom, Carrier Command. Yeah they might had been open world and 3D, a decade + before 1999 but hey, don't let facts get in the way lol.

EDIT: Why stop there, call it the first work of fiction set in an alien world. Might as well lol.
HunchBluntley: I assume they mean a 3D engine. Yes, there were numerous games that featured 3D movement or were played from a from a first-person perspective, but I'm not aware of any big ones using actual 3D graphics for basically all objects and terrain features. But I have no idea if Outcast was 100% the first. Then again, there might be some other minor qualifications to the claim that they left out of the marketing blurbs for brevity's sake.

Also -- technically, open space =/= open world. =P
MightyPinecone: Does this mean that the original will be bundled with the new version, [...]
HunchBluntley: If it wasn't done on this game's release, it probably won't happen (at least, not any time soon). Besides, the two games are officially handled by two different publishers here.
I assume you have no idea what these games are. They are all "full 3D" and open world. Play them first.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by trusteft
Klumpen0815: Doing a remake of a 19 year old game and then not making it multi-platform in 2018. Why?!
It is multi-platform, Windows, Xbox One and PS4. How's that not multi-platform?
Just went to see how many wishes Outcast had got, but its not there any more.

Anyway to find out how many votes a fulfilled wish had got?
Klumpen0815: Doing a remake of a 19 year old game and then not making it multi-platform in 2018. Why?!
CMOT70: It is multi-platform, Windows, Xbox One and PS4. How's that not multi-platform?
Why Windows only then?
Anamon: They obviously have the rights to the name and story elements, they have the budget and manpower, and they have the technology to make a good game – so, I'm left wondering, why are we getting this instead of a proper sequel?

I just imagine that that would have made true fans of the original so much more happier than just a remake, while those who didn't play the original or are too young too know it, probably don't care what old game it is or isn't based on. Everybody seems so reluctant to create original content.

But sorry, I don't want to be Debbie Downer =)
As a Positive Patty, I feel obligated to reply. haha

It would make sense to do a remake of a long-ago title like this one, if a company were planning a sequel. That would re-prime the pump for the sequel, and would also let them test out the new game engine for bugs and such without having to dump resources at the same time into creating the story.

Whether or not that's the case here, I have no idea.

mechmouse: Just went to see how many wishes Outcast had got, but its not there any more.

Anyway to find out how many votes a fulfilled wish had got?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/lame_uses_for_a_time_machine

; )

Just ribbing ya. Would be nice to leave them up there, to show people that the wishlist votes might actually have an effect.
CMOT70: It is multi-platform, Windows, Xbox One and PS4. How's that not multi-platform?
Klumpen0815: Why Windows only then?
I just want you to know this is a serious response and not just a jab at Linux users for fun. Every Linux user I know also uses Windows of some sort as well. Developers know this and know that if they really want to play their game, they will just use their Windows dual boot or Wine.
Lots of people with consoles do not use PC to game no matter what, even if they have a PC as well. So making a version for them makes a lot of sense.

Even using Wine statistically makes a Linux user a Windows user as well. You show up as a sale for a piece of Windows software, what you downloaded from GOG was a piece of Windows software, therefore they see you as a Windows user.

Who knows, they may still make a Linux version...but it's logically not as high a priority as the other platforms to them, because the reasons above- mainly most Linux users use Windows as well when they really need to.
Post edited January 29, 2018 by CMOT70
watched a lets play and it looks pretty good, smooth game play and graphics. wishlisted cuz im broke atm
Because Linux and OS X still have rather small parts of the market, and even if the work to port may seem rather small, the developers likely feel otherwise.

But yeah, I agree. Of course, I already knew my going to Linux was going to give me these situations -even with Valve's work on improving the Linux game situation- when a game I'd like to run is Windows-only, but it's still annoying.
CMOT70: I just want you to know this is a serious response and not just a jab at Linux users for fun. Every Linux user I know also uses Windows of some sort as well. Developers know this and know that if they really want to play their game, they will just use their Windows dual boot or Wine.
Lots of people with consoles do not use PC to game no matter what, even if they have a PC as well. So making a version for them makes a lot of sense.

Even using Wine statistically makes a Linux user a Windows user as well. You show up as a sale for a piece of Windows software, what you downloaded from GOG was a piece of Windows software, therefore they see you as a Windows user.

Who knows, they may still make a Linux version...but it's logically not as high a priority as the other platforms to them, because the reasons above- mainly most Linux users use Windows as well when they really need to.
Well, I don't have any Windows more current than XP and I won't buy it without a Linux port. Wine is just okay for games from the past where Linux gaming simply wasn't a thing at all.
My big question for the remake: Is the interface much improved?

I once played Outcast for a bit, but stopped when I managed to accidentally throw away a key item and forgot where that happened.
mechmouse: There will be plenty of gamers who would have wanted a GoG release, but would have bought on Steam thinking its never coming.
Luckily I learned a while ago to wait for a GOG release after a Steam release. It saved me from buying Tokyo 42 on Steam.