It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's turn the page.

Visual Novels have arrived on GOG.com! Our first selection includes acclaimed games, revered for their intricate artwork and stimulating stories, up to 66% off until May 29, 1pm UTC.

Higurashi When They Cry Chapters 1-5 (25% off): Spawning a popular anime and manga series, Higurashi is a "sound novel", where meticulously designed audio plays a crucial part in these unique stories. Chapters 1-5 are available today, with Chapter 6 slated for release in the near future.

fault (50% off): Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of pulp sci-fi and a dash of fantasy to weave a powerful cinematic story about the human condition. These two episodes of the ongoing series star the perky princess Selphine and her sarcastic guardian Ritona, as they desperately try to make their way back to their homeland.

Sunrider series (66% off): An alternate universe, intergalactic strife, mech combat, high school, and love all around. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free!), Liberation Day, and Sunrider Academy are a beloved and unique mix of strategy, romance, and visual novel. De-censor patch optional, but come on.

eden* (66% off): Stock up on tissues. This critically-acclaimed love story on a dying planet is a real tear-jerker told with stunning cinematic flair. Humanity is about to be wiped out by a red star but this story is destined to stick around for much longer.
Many thanks for those games. Especially for Fault, great game, can't wait for Silence the Pendant.
high rated
Glad to see nice visual novel titles come to GOG. Hope to see more in future.
MaxFulvus: I already played Loren The Amazon Princess that I enjoyed and one or two Sakura (a bit boring). I just hope some selection from GOG.
king_mosiah: Sakura Dungeon is the only thing in that series worth playing. And I wouldn't mind seeing Loren here, though some of the other WW games I don't think would be a good fit.
If you like Sakura Dungeon, please try Sakura Fantasy as well. There is a well told story hidden amongst the fan service, if not that original since both borrow quite heavily from Monster Girl Quest.

Besides, good erotica can be art as well.
What does put me off in most erotic JP VN's is the ludicrous breast sizes that would give even a fully grown woman an instant hernia, let alone those poor teens.
An old title with an intriguing dreamlike but very erotic story that I really like is: 夢幻夜想曲 / Nocturnal Ilusion.
JinseiNGC224: I should be able to see uncensored nudity and sexual content with no judgment.
DoomSooth: Children, even if drawn, should not be naked in a game, visual novel, or any other kind of media. One of the "game" trailers gives me the impression that some of the girls are naked. None of the girls look legal and some of them look very far from legal.
Some of them are underage, but most of them aren't. They APPEAR to be underage due to blue laws imposed during the American occupation (one of which forbidding the depiction of pubic hair). Oversize breasts are a compensatory cue that the woman is sexually mature. A large part of Japanese kink is in reaction to American sexual mores imposed on them.
drmike: Why do I get the feeling that I still shouldn't play these at the library?
tinyE: this is everything I could gather on the patches for these particular games. Somehow I don't think the patches open up anything too, or even remotely, NSFW.

http://sunrider-vn.com/purchase/

That does vary from VN to VN but these seem pretty tame, although I might be wrong.
Err, did you click on the "CG" tab at the top of the page you just linked? 98% of the Sunrider games is pretty tame, but the other 2% unlocked by the uncensor patch is very, very NSFW (and of pretty poor quality/taste. It really feels like it was tacked on top of an already finished game to complete the "romance VNs need sex scenes" quota.)
high rated
Carradice: Enjoy your game! It is very fun to play. They made it free as a showcase. I bought the sequel, Liberation Day, just to repay the developers somehow. It is that good (as a strategy game, at least).
I just got through my first two fights and yes, I was VERY surprised.
So far in the few VN I experienced it were pages you could click forward while reading the text and watching the pics. This Sunrider is really different. It has animations, cuts, changing music, some voice over and a tactical aspect (in which I am pretty bad atm but that made the second fight even more immersive for me). Immersion is the keyword here. The VN (at least this one) felt much more immersive than an book could ever be. The choice parts are adding to the interactive part of this. The soundtrack - as I said - is really something and in case anybody is wondering, atm it feels much more like I was playing/reading/watching a Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica episode than anything else. Yes, it has cute anime girls in it but that's no crime. These anime girls also seem to have their own and very distinctive character and so far they did not offer to undress for me immediately ... so no, there is an actual story behind this.I would suggest to all the haters to simply download the FREE Sunrider VN and judge for themselves.
Wolfy777: Well, my friendlist is still empthy, so I'm not sure I even understand how it works or what's it actually for.
MarkoH01: Not anymore if you'll accept my invite ;)

So ... what's the use of it?
1) You can access the profiles of people who have set their privacy settings to "friends only".
2) Same thing applies to the wishlist, the library and the chat.
3) If you are using Galaxy you can see who also owns a specific game you are about to play.
4) It gives you a fuzzy feeling to have a friend :)
(even though you might now nothing more about him or her than the avatar and the nickname)

Enebias: People... I really thought the past of "strike" was "stroke".
I'm not sure I want to understand what I worte, now.
MarkoH01: But I guess you can imagine?
I also sent an Invite, Im not too social and sometimes i forget to check the chat/friends list so it migh be some times before i actaully answer. But if you want somone to discuss with ocassionally then im game.
high rated
Oooh, this is unexpected. I'm not very familiar with Visual Novels, but if the game is good I'll play it regardless of age or type. That's all that matters when it comes to a game. Higurashi I recall getting some buzz for being a weird drama/thriller/detective/mystery combination, which could be right up my alley. Hopefully we'll see more where this came from and more Japanese games in general new and old, such as the excellent Nobunaga's Ambition games.
ReynardFox: With visual novels here, anyone who tried to argue against Dragon's Lair on GOG can officially eat me.
Haha, yeah these games need to be here as well...

Don Bluth and American Laser Games here please GOG!! ;) And HuniePop 2 too please! :-P
high rated
lostwolfe: oh boy.

gog. stumbling from one controversy to the next.

public profiles? check.
taking a week to solve that issue? check. [and then doing the barest minimum while they were there.]
suggestive vn's? check. [after years and years of "curating" them away.]

i like adventure games. and i love stories in my games.
but when the game is basically just an excuse to have suggestive images on screen...
...hard pass.

i know, i know. you're all going to downvote me. that's totally ok.

[added in much later: aayyyyy. i was right. downvote train incoming. lol. you guys are hilariously predictable.]
People who bitch about being downvoted are hilariously silly. There's plenty of all age VN"s.

Most looking forward to Sono Hanabira!
Carradice: Enjoy your game! It is very fun to play. They made it free as a showcase. I bought the sequel, Liberation Day, just to repay the developers somehow. It is that good (as a strategy game, at least).
MarkoH01: I just got through my first two fights and yes, I was VERY surprised.
So far in the few VN I experienced it were pages you could click forward while reading the text and watching the pics. This Sunrider is really different. It has animations, cuts, changing music, some voice over and a tactical aspect (in which I am pretty bad atm but that made the second fight even more immersive for me). Immersion is the keyword here. The VN (at least this one) felt much more immersive than an book could ever be. The choice parts are adding to the interactive part of this. The soundtrack - as I said - is really something and in case anybody is wondering, atm it feels much more like I was playing/reading/watching a Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica episode than anything else. Yes, it has cute anime girls in it but that's no crime. These anime girls also seem to have their own and very distinctive character and so far they did not offer to undress for me immediately ... so no, there is an actual story behind this.I would suggest to all the haters to simply download the FREE Sunrider VN and judge for themselves.
May i ask which were the VNs you played before?
From my experience aside from the Gameplay elements it's about the same in almost every other VN (excepting some very low bugtet titles), actually i consider the Surider Games as some of the worse VNs I played so far.
JinKazaragi: May i ask which were the VNs you played before?
From my experience aside from the Gameplay elements it's about the same in almost every other VN (excepting some very low bugtet titles), actually i consider the Surider Games as some of the worse VNs I played so far.
Oh not many at all. I started Hatoful Boyfriend and I played through one game I got for free on Steam (something about an Assassin on a Highschool - Azumi or so). I guess I also took a quick glance at one of those Sakura games which were pretty boring for me. So yes, I am aware that I don't know anything about this genre but I also do know that I enjoy this VN. Maybe because I am a Sci-Fi fan ... and don't mind cute anime girls in it :)

Edit: "Sword of Asumi" was the name of the VN I read.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by MarkoH01
ReynardFox: With visual novels here, anyone who tried to argue against Dragon's Lair on GOG can officially eat me.
Experiment513: Haha, yeah these games need to be here as well...

Don Bluth and American Laser Games here please GOG!! ;) And HuniePop 2 too please! :-P
I love the ALG lone cowboy type games, but I have bone to pick with their scenes that kill you with a just barely visible gunman hiding in some window.
JinKazaragi: May i ask which were the VNs you played before?
MarkoH01: Oh not many at all. I started Hatoful Boyfriend and I played through one game I got for free on Steam (something about an Assassin on a Highschool - Azumi or so). I guess I also took a quick glance at one of those Sakura games which were pretty boring for me. So yes, I am aware that I don't know anything about this genre but I also do know that I enjoy this VN. Maybe because I am a Sci-Fi fan ... and don't mind cute anime girls in it :)
No suprise you got the bad first impression in that case....
VN like that (maybe aside from Hatoful Boyfriend, I havent played it yet) are one of the main reasons for the Genres bad reputation.
While it's nice to see more visual novels on GOG, there are so many others I would rather see added ahead of these. For example:

Cinders
Solstice
Dialogue: A Writer's Story
An Octave Higher
One Small Fire at a Time
Danganronpa
Dysfunctional Systems
Juniper's Knot (free!)
Cinderella Phenomenon (free!)
Katawa Shoujo (free!)
Kindred Spirits on the Roof
Lily of the Valley
Sweetest Monster

I'm sure there's an audience for the series released today, and I don't oppose their addition. Still, that they were prioritized over everything in the above list- especially the free ones- seems perplexing to me. Then again, given the popularity of Key's visual novels compared to my own opinion of them, I've never considered myself to be part of the majority consensus on the VN genre.

Time to take a trip to the community wishlist, I suppose.