It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's turn the page.

Visual Novels have arrived on GOG.com! Our first selection includes acclaimed games, revered for their intricate artwork and stimulating stories, up to 66% off until May 29, 1pm UTC.

Higurashi When They Cry Chapters 1-5 (25% off): Spawning a popular anime and manga series, Higurashi is a "sound novel", where meticulously designed audio plays a crucial part in these unique stories. Chapters 1-5 are available today, with Chapter 6 slated for release in the near future.

fault (50% off): Sometimes it takes a healthy dose of pulp sci-fi and a dash of fantasy to weave a powerful cinematic story about the human condition. These two episodes of the ongoing series star the perky princess Selphine and her sarcastic guardian Ritona, as they desperately try to make their way back to their homeland.

Sunrider series (66% off): An alternate universe, intergalactic strife, mech combat, high school, and love all around. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius (free!), Liberation Day, and Sunrider Academy are a beloved and unique mix of strategy, romance, and visual novel. De-censor patch optional, but come on.

eden* (66% off): Stock up on tissues. This critically-acclaimed love story on a dying planet is a real tear-jerker told with stunning cinematic flair. Humanity is about to be wiped out by a red star but this story is destined to stick around for much longer.
XYCat: Ah, so the day came when visual novels hit GOG in force.

So when can we expect Sakura games? :D
I had to Google, game doesn't ring a bell ...
now it does

Steam rating

Recent Reviews:
Mostly Positive (12)
All Reviews:
Mostly Positive (5,380)
Release Date:
9 Jul, 2014
Developer:
Winged Cloud
Publisher:
Winged Cloud
Popular user-defined tags for this product:
Anime Visual Novel Nudity Mature Dating Sim +

5.3 K of mostly positive ..... it's best to read all the reviews cause sometimes it says 56 and after i counted , tehre were 12 so i guess the rating is full with bugs at Steam :D ........... or the user deleted the review ?
Post edited May 22, 2018 by gamesfreak64
GlorFindel: +1

Sokath, his eyes open! ;-)
Lucian_Galca: Temba, his arms wide.
Temba, at rest!

gamesfreak64: I had to Google, game doesn't ring a bell ...
now it does

Steam rating

Recent Reviews:
Mostly Positive (12)
All Reviews:
Mostly Positive (5,380)
Release Date:
9 Jul, 2014
Developer:
Winged Cloud
Publisher:
Winged Cloud
There's a whole bunch of sakura games. Like Sakura spirit, Sakura in space or whatever, Sakura this, Sakura that. Basically any setting in which you can place nude manga girls :D

The only one I'd want is Sakura Dungeon, but that'd be unlikely.
JinKazaragi: Problem with the last Tag is that there are also VNs with H-content which actually also tell very good stories (F/SN, Grisaia, Ayakashibito, and many more), you'd have to Split it into 2 Tags to avoid confusion
tibs210: Very true, but notice I didn't say H-Games don't have bad stories. Reason being, whether a story is "good" or "bad" is up for debate, and larger public opinion. How would you define such a thing? People would define, and set the bar at different levels. However, I trust GOG to keep delivering good quality checks, and not distribute a game just because it's been released. This is, at the moment rather clear with the VN games that has just launched (arguably all are at least decent), and hopefully these checks would continue.
I think I might have used the wrong expression, of course a story being good it subjective.
You surely know how most people are, as soon as it has suggestive content many seem to think it can't have a good Story.
That's why I meant you need 2 tags, one for VN with such content and main focus on the Story and one for the ones with the main focus being the Fanservice (if you let the second kind here in the first place).
Not my thing but I am very happy to see them here :D
[sigh]
yogsloth: At long last, GOG jumps the shark on "visual novels".

*sigh*

I think about all the great games that get rejected, and now we can clutter up the shelves with pervert Japanese cartoon bullshit.
You wanna give examples with valid citations, then go ahead and whinge. Otherwise, shush.
king_mosiah: Sakura Dungeon is the only thing in that series worth playing. And I wouldn't mind seeing Loren here, though some of the other WW games I don't think would be a good fit.
I think the White Wolf games were rejected by GOG some years ago, but now they should reconsider their point of view.
CharlesGrey: I'd possibly buy something with a Horror or Fantasy theme, and a nicer, less generic art style.
I mentioned previously, but The Silver Case has a really nice art style to it that, while Japanese, isn't that generic, and goes off of a bit different themes than usual VNs. It's more adventure-game styled in some ways, as well.
high rated
CharlesGrey: Seeing these all over the front page was hilarious -- A reaction to Steam's recent censorship debacle?

Most of them seem a bit ugly or downright creepy, but it's good to see some more variety on GOG, and more games being offered sans DRM. Maybe some future visual novel style releases will be more appealing to people who aren't hardcore fans of the genre. I'd possibly buy something with a Horror or Fantasy theme, and a nicer, less generic art style.

By the way, GOG already sold some similar games years ago, such as Long Live The Queen.

P.S.: Hey GOG, how about Tokyo Dark? Wasn't that one rejected for looking too much like a VN, or something?
If you want horror, you cannot go wrong with Higurashi. It's a quintessential mystery/suspense/horror visual novel, which is very popular both in Japan and in the West. Higurashi series also got manga, anime and even live movies based on them.

And if you want fantasy, fault series is surprisingly very serious and deep science fantasy VNs, which are much much much better than it appears at first glance looking at their cutesy art. the only negative - the series aren't finished yet and the ending is a cliffhanger for now.

gamesfreak64: I had to Google, game doesn't ring a bell ...
now it does

Steam rating

Recent Reviews:
Mostly Positive (12)
All Reviews:
Mostly Positive (5,380)
Release Date:
9 Jul, 2014
Developer:
Winged Cloud
Publisher:
Winged Cloud

5.3 K of mostly positive ..... it's best to read all the reviews cause sometimes it says 56 and after i counted , tehre were 12 so i guess the rating is full with bugs at Steam :D ........... or the user deleted the review ?
and as for the reviews, I think that some time ago steam started counting only purchases through steam as reviews qualified for the main score. Reviews from non steam purchases show up but don't count into the score. My guess it's to prevent review frauds with shady devs handing out keys for positive reviews so that their shovelware game appears as a legit good game on steam.
high rated
Mangagamer's press release - pretty tough on Steam hehe:

http://blog.mangagamer.org/2018/05/22/mangagamer-brings-their-titles-to-gog/
Good to have options.

Even if I'd like other kind of options.

Like: add some needed simulators.
Tank, flight... whatever.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by OldOldGamer
Sakura series are a drivel for the lowest common denominator. Despite being a huge fan of visual novels as a genre, I sincerely hope Sakura and their ilk never come here. They basically dilute the VN pool and make it hard for the uninitiated to find actually good visual novels.
Post edited May 22, 2018 by beliar