It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RWarehall: Right now, my leading hypothesis (too early to have a theory) is Docbear was scum and didn't know how to respond to the heat.
Sorta what I was thinking, yes.

QuadrAlien: #721: Stanari: Wait. Didn't Ix eventually give Bler the answer he wanted? (see #736)
Yes, but "eventually" is the key word there.

Actually this whole post has a lot of fluff, which is fun when in real time but in catchup just tends to drown out any useful content; I dislike it but I'm not sure it's AI.

Nachomamma8: I think those who go against the grain as scum have a pretty solid confidence in it and what to do when they get pressured; LX hasn't given me any of those vibes quite yet, and from bler's description of his scumgame, I don't expect him to have a strong against the grain scumgame.
I am bad at word but yes this.

Do werewolves have hangovers?
When I'm in the shower I'm afraid to wash my hair.
'Cause I might open my eyes and find someone standing there.

Off to bed. Bed is for sleeping.
bler144: Btw, one reason my game struggles at the end is that tendency to not stick with my reads ...
You sure only at the end? The hidden message all along has been: you should focus more.

Regarding the marriage flavor, you proposed / daydreamed, not me. I went along for the ride. The only "lie" between us was my little blerxperiment, but now the votecount is out of the bag. I did think you would be the perfect bait.

On trombones. Not the first time I'd have missed something... but I suspect any explanation from him would be disguised in jokes. I recall him apologizing kind of? And I recall ppl even voting him for the tone of it? Whatevs... him explaining even if I rem does not mean I grok. And so to be absolutely clear, I think the joke was that there is only noise coming out of you. Would have been topical for what I was peddling. But if that was not it, I didn't want to add to the semi BS I was throwing at you with something maybe offensive / sexual / polincorr, or whatevs...

But so you don't think it was all BS, let me repeat. Sure, I didn't actually think you're scummy, but you should focus more. You are too distracting.

Anyway, I felt you deserved this much blerxplanaition, but I need to run. Will actually catch up with the thread later in the day.
Finally caught up! And then I had to go back to where I joined and reread stuff addressed to me. I admit I had a skip a bit, and totally can't fault Ix from freely admitting he couldn't read through it all. I almost wish I had done the same. But anyhoo...

First off, for people wanting an "explanation" for doc's comment, I've got to say I'm with bler here. What response exactly are you wanting? Whatever I say, people who think I'm scum (or people who want me to be lynched) will continue along that line.
People here have a habit of obsessively overreading text to mean fantastical things, which is a bit bothersome to me, because I don't super-carefully choose my wording, and it's a bit annoying to carry a conversation where the slightest wrong inflection or phrasing could turn people into a frothing lynch mob.

BUUUUT, since we're obsessively overanalysing words communicated anyhow, here's what doc originally
docbear1975: *Ducks* I'm trying not to be all over the place. Cristi asked why I voted for Quad, and I responded. There has been a lot of back and forth (discussion wise) on lx. He has a convenient wagon forming, and with so many players, scum could throw one of their own under the bus, so to speak.

It's pretty late, and I'm really tired. And I probably just posted a bunch of gibberish.
The funny thing here is that of all the accusers, it can't even be decided WHAT is the suspicious part of this statement. Some say that because doc thought both Ix and Quad were scum, she's scum. I mean, I too get the understanding that doc considered both Ix and Quad scum from her statement, but I don't quite see how that specific statement implicates her/me as scum. Some say that the statement has some implicit understanding about the size of the scum team, which makes doc/me scum- this is an even weirder understanding, which I really don't get.

Ironically enough, doc's statement about convenient wagons for scum to gather on (not the part of gathering around a scum target, of course ¬_¬) seems to have ended up applying to her/me. Which is what I meant by what I said that "I don't think there are that many bad judges of character here". I wasn't seeking leeway, simply making an observation.

Alright, now as to my own observations divorced from my position as the closest to lynch...
Is really hard, because again, knowing how I'm not scum, but also knowing it may seem a petulant tit-for-tat revenge vote if I take such immediate action, it just seems to convenient that the wagon grew as it did. I'm just not sure who is the most appropriate to vote for from that. Quad had voted for me a while back, so I'm not sure is the best choice, could have simply seen a convenient line of questioning that was then exploited by someone else.

Anyhow, since we still seem to be suffering from a confusion as to the nature of this situation and as to whether the usual mafia game tactics are appropriate currently, some action-taking flavour from me:

[i]Laura approaches a large group sitting together at the community home timidly. She clears her throat in hopes of getting their attention, and when unsuccessful, finally raps her knuckles on the table and gets everyone's attention.
"Hello all, there's something I want to say, that I wish I had said earlier, so I hope you'll all forgive me. As much as I enjoy Oakwood and the have had growing affection for the people here, seeing as I'm more used to animals as companions and their simpler ways, it's always a bit of a challenge to bring up difficult matters. And this is possibly the most difficult of them all. But I've been mulling it over, and I feel I must communicate this to you all.
Whatever attacked poor Julie wasn't regular wolves. I'm sure even you all know that regular wolves don't behave anything like that. But a closer look showed me that the attack couldn't have at all taken place without human involvement, and not just one person. If not through some really insane training, then through...something much darker, God protect us.
The more troubling issue is that I feel we've been manipulated by this same people. The bulk of our town was convinced to relocate, leaving only the stubborn or elderly behind, making it open season for whatever is attempting to hunt us. I'd have recommended that we follow our brethren to Nashua, but now I feel that it is our duty to rid our home of whatever these demonic forces are. Because they are now among us, and within us, possibly even at this very table."
Laura thumped her hand again hard on the table, having surprised even herself at her extended speech. She glared around the table at everyone, trying to hide her fear.[/i]

Right. So if I turn out to be wrong, and drealmer takes us in some completely different direction...oops, I guess? Meanwhile, I'd say it is time to openly and even flavourly investigate and vote someone to lynch.
Brasas: He's more a fake cop claim kind of guy.

No, I'm not still sore about it at all...
It is getting to the point where it is a tell. "Wyrm claimed cop? Let's not kill whoever he says he investigated."

I'm doing things with the family all day (and probably slipping some Age of Wonders time into any gaps). I'd say "try not to kill anyone while I'm gone", but I seriously doubt we'll get even halfway to L-0, so instead I'll just say "Have fun, kids!"
And to put my money where my mouth is, out of my suspects, the one with the most viable wagon already present is...
vote Stanari

Still keeping an eye on RWarehall, and possibly trenton and bookwyrm, though.
@Babark

So let me get this straight, you just don't see anything fishy about that quote at all?

You don't see the implication that your previous self knew there are so many wolves they can afford to lynch one of their own for town cred? You don't see the broader shade being put on everyone on that wagon based on what seems like insider knowledge?

But honestly, I was not expecting you to argue your way out of that statement....

I was expecting some show you were town and by the quality of other analysis, so I could judge your character and better determine if that statement was just poorly written. What I get is a statement that you are joining the Stan wagon because it is "viable" and no other reason and your next two candidates seem to be there because they are on your wagon. Overall, zero explanation why any of your list is even suspect...

My vote stands
Okay I just read that statement an what you guys are saying about it and wow you guys are bananas. I think docker was suspicious, but definitely not for that post. Docbear was suspicious more because she clearly wasn't really reading and was asking questions that looked like she was trying to stay involved and active but minimally but not trying to figure out the game.

A form of that statement I've seen from town all the time. And really, if I'm reading the suspicion about that statement correctly at all, docbear showing inside knowledge really only applies if one of lx and quad are scum. But it only shows inside knowledge if you squint while doing jumping jacks. It's just as likely that the so many players references the amount of players in the game total. What she basically said was that one of them could be bussing for town cred. It's a mangled statement which suggests more the posting for the purpose of posting but not knowing what to say though.

Even if barback is scum, I'd wager (if it were allowed) that that still is not a slip. Yogsloth's post in GoT was a slip. This one, no. Now if you want to argue that the reaction to being accused that post is a slip is indicative of scum reacting to being caught for the wrong reasons, that could have some merit but the slip is a big ol mehfest.
RWarehall:
Ohohoh, wonderful!
So you're attempting to put me on the defensive, as if my being scum is a foregone conclusion, and it was my job to PROVE I was innocent.

What's even MORE wonderful is that this is further proof of the machinations behind the accusation: How I mentioned before that people can't even decide among themselves WHAT is suspicious about it.

Lets see what you considered suspicious back before everyone else had a chance to chime in and popularise one specific issue over another.
RWarehall: Still working my way through the thread, typical day 1 posturing for the most part. I think it may prove useful once we get some flips as there certainly seem to be sides forming. The quote above from docbear, that is interesting. Is it just poorly worded or a slip? That is the real question. Certainly can be read to say scum have decided to give up on one of their own which also implies a daychat if true.
Oh no, what doc said can be read to say scum have decided to give up on one of their own, which implies a daychat as well!
Except now, that's not true at all, NOW it is fishy that doc knew the number of wolves!

As I said initially, I chose Stanari out of all the people who were on my wagon, Stanari was the most viable to be lynched (heck, he even basically said "I'm good at following rules" before voting for me). But you've convinced me otherwise, RWarehall.

unvote Stanari
vote RWarehall
And I just read the rest of RW's post and see that it's not all about the slip. (Sorry, I'm in a mad dash to finish today's grading before heading out to the music festival soon.)
morning!

@Brasas - for what it's worth, I was pretty focused on Ix to the point of tunneling, even if still asking questions elsewhere. In the aftermath I was mostly trying to decide between a gut vote (Lift, or RW v. Babark) or a less appealing lurker vote. And still do really think yogs is doing something bizarro.

So sure, not focused, but with a specific interest pool > others. Talked myself into and out of Lift, so same pool as above less Lift. That's not exactly all over the place.

Still not sure who you were trying to bait onto my wagon. Can you explain that part to me again, more slowly?

TammyTown: snip
Agree positutely.

___

Stan's vote on Babark is meh (@Babark, Stan's a she, fwiw), but definitely not alignment indicative. For town or scum it's a fair self-preservation vote, and honestly, if she's scum I think she does it a bit sooner or tries harder to justify it. IDK. But on the surface it's 100% a rational play for her to make sooner or later.

Same applies for Babark's vote on Stan, fwiw. It's the play you should make, all things being equal, regardless of alignment.

Trent at #2 or #3 on a primary wagon is his thing of late, town or scum, dating back at least as far as Lift's game.

Of the two, RW is pinging me much harder than doc/Babark, but I kinda like the notion of Babark v. RW wagons, admittedly because I would vote either in the end (so low downside) but definitely have a preference.

@RW, I'd asked you a question in 824 that I was actually hoping you'd answer. So I guess I did need you to reply.

Is it getting heavy?

tyvm
EBWOP - I did think there was merit in RW's suggestion (#839) to give Babark some time to show up, as much as, like yogs, I felt things were grinding down.

Was thinking there would be some cruel amusement if we waited until Babark caught up on the reading and then lynched him. PityLOLs?

I'd still like to see some thoughts from @Babark on people not on his wagon, given the possibility that even town!Babark might not have any scum at all on his wagon yet. And, y'know, the other thing.
October 22, 1696 -

It's monday, and in case the future ever wonders: even in 1696 people get "The Mondays."

Villagers begin to arrive at the community home in the mid-afternoon. Some villagers stand around the kitchen snacking and having a light conversation, a couple other small groups are scattered throughout the large hall, and everyone seems in good enough spirits. One villager plays some flute pipes while a couple others sit by listening. It kind of feels like the community home does on a regular community day, but, the semblance is different enough that it is more off-putting than comforting. They're trying, but things just aren't normal.

Eric enters the community home and looks around to see if Marie is among those that have already arrived. He sees her and approaches. She sees his approach and meets to engage him. He looks hopeful and she gives him a friendly smile.

They find a spot out of earshot of anyone else and have their exchange in the time before the rest of the villagers arrive.

"I have a few things for you!" She says with enthusiasm, glad to be able to help. "Let's just get some hot water right now from the kettle and get some of this in you." She pulls a small sack of herbs from her pocket of the few she has for him.

"Oh excellent" Eric says in obvious weakness and need. He follows her to the fireplace and she grabs a mug and small saucer from the kitchen on the way. She places one small sack of herbs she has prepared in the mug and ladles out some hot water into it, places the saucer on top, and hands it to Eric. She also puts a medium sized stick partly into the fire, as to get the end lit so she can handle it to light something else.

"Let that steep for 10 minutes, then remove saucer and sack." She instructs him.

"Okay..." he kind of pauses, uncertain if there is more to the instruction after that.

"And then drink it." She finishes.

"Right. Of course. Thank you so much!"

"Okay, now that is steeping, come outside with me before the rest of the villagers arrive and I'll give you something for nausea." She grabs the now-lit twig and walks to exit the community home.

"Uhh, okay." He follows, a little uncertain why.

She leads him down the porch and around the side of the building, then turns and rests her back up against it and reaches into her pocket. Eric watches on intently. She hands him the no longer aflame but still hot stick. She pulls out a hand-sized hand-carved wooden pipe - the carving is simple yet delicate and beautiful.

"Did you make that?" He asks.

"Yep, for just this purpose." She takes out another pouch from a pocket, a slight skunkish smell hits Eric's nose and he's intrigued rather than off-put; it doesn't smell bad at all, it smells rather good. She opens it and takes out a thin leaf and unwraps it. As she does this the scent increases tenfold as does Eric's interest in the herb. She breaks off a piece the size of a small pebble and puts it into the pipe.

"What is that?" Eric asks.

"It's a native herb called 'cannabis.' It is a sacred healing herb of the natives that live in these lands." She hands him the pipe. "You know how to smoke, right? Put the hot end of the stick hovering above the herb and inhale the smallest of amounts that you can manage. You don't want to over do it, but you shouldn't worry about it."

"Yes, certainly I know how to smoke." Eric responds, and hits the pipe very lightly.

He feels the beneficial effects immediately. "Woah." He says and hands the pipe and stick back to her.

She grabs him by the sleeve and starts walking back the way they came. "Come on. We should get back, get you in a comfortable chair."

"I'm really hungry." Eric states plainly.

"That's a typical side-effect. Start sipping your tea and I'll cut you some bread and cheese, okay?"

"Sounds good." He says.

They return to the community home and after just a few minutes Eric has a nice seat, some herbal tea and bread and cheese, and an apple too, and is feeling better than he's felt since before everyone fled.

The rest of the villagers arrive and they all get back into the thick of their discussions, resuming from whatever pertinent points were left off from the previous days or whatever new issues might be brought to the discussion now that another night has passed and they've yet again had the opportunity to mull over the situation on their own time to come back to the table with, whatever it is they might have.

All of the sudden, one of the villagers stands from their seat and says sternly enough for all to pause their individual focuses and pay attention.

"Everyone. Listen. We are about a week away from it being a month since Julie was killed, and I think Samhain Night will fall on that very night, AND I think the Full Moon could come even sooner than that, or it could fall on Samhain Night, I'm not sure, and, well, I've just got a really bad feeling in my gut, and it's starting to spread. I think we need to figure out what we're going to do soon. I know, I know, absolutely nothing could happen, and maybe we should wait and see, but, I just had to voice how strongly the bad-feeling about delaying much longer makes me feel and the more I think about what could be impending for us if we wait much longer to figure out a course of action. Oh, what the hell am I saying? I'm not even sure figuring out a course of action will make much or any difference, maybe it'd even do us harm, oh, I don't know!"

They hear the words, and continue to discuss.
Post edited September 17, 2016 by drealmer7
So, sorry for the fluff post but after walking the dog at 5:30 AM I totally expected some crazy flavor related to the amazing, enormous clear sky glowing full moon I saw this morning! Shame on you drealmer ;)

babark: unvote Stanari
vote RWarehall
I am a self confessed "wagon pusher" so I didn't mind your previous logic RE: Stanari. But I don't like this vote at all.

drealmer7: ... and I think Samhain Night will fall on that very night, AND I think the Full Moon could come even sooner than that night ...
Fun fact (I think) - I'm pretty sure this word is pronounced Sah-wane. Which I always thought was pretty neat for some reason.
drealmer7: get some of this in you.
TWSS. ...They did have pegging back then, right?

I do think it's amusing that the most detailed, passionate narrative flavor so far is about pot.

Spices, creation, realization, naturalization
What are you talking about? It's all about time 'cos today you go to nature
In the old time, in the old time
In the old time it was not a crime