It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Carradice: ... All this, against someone who legitimately paid for the media. While those who just pirate the software, the video or the book have none of these problems.
Yeah, this right here is what pisses me off the most.

I trust them with my money, yet they don't trust me with the game.

Meanwhile, the people who don't give them ANY money get the game DRM-free.

That's why GOG is always my only choice these days: I trust them with my money, and they trust me with the DRM-free game. THAT is the only fair trade, and GOG is the only store that operates that way as a matter of course.

Trust works both ways.

You know what would be really great?

Since the publishers don't trust me with the game I've given them money for by putting DRM on their game, to be fair, I should be able to put DRM on the money I gave them.

Then, if I'm not able to play the game due to the DRM, I should be able to activate the DRM on my money and take it back.

A dumb idea I just had. It will never work of course, but it would be at least fair that way. :)
Post edited October 15, 2019 by GilesHabibula
arsalan12: I hope GOG always stay like this even when streaming becomes the only way to play games in future. I will always prefer to play games offline and DRM free.
gamesfreak64: Intel and AMD will stop selling hardware as we know it, maybe they stay on to provide the hardware to the online (DRM) dudes like EA and Micro$oft ..... only need will be a lighning fast connection you will ( have to)subscribe of course.
Monthly ( reccuring) fees and all you get is a little box, it will be the Netflix of games .............:D.

Imagine the possibilities you can play with anyone, no more hardware restrictions ...
no more problems like in : "Ich will Unreal Tournament spielen [..." ( this video is still funny even after so many years)

Anyway, just Google and watch some dumb videos of big Corps talking about it..... and maybe as extra micro transactions...
If that happens then I would just stop gaming and find some new hobby.
I just tried playing operation racoon city on steam and it crashes as soon as i press play . GFWL ruined it and capcom and steam i am so pissed off a game i bought years ago i can't play anymore hope you get it over here GoG
You know, I would, if those words did not now ring hollow with GOGs position going consumer hostile and adding the unlawful arbitration clause in to Galaxy 2.0 which effectively lays out plans for galaxy to become backdoor DRM.

You can say FCKDRM all you want, it sounds incredibly disingenuous when you are expecting gog customers to abdicate their legal rights just to play a video game.
Wickus85: I just tried playing operation racoon city on steam and it crashes as soon as i press play . GFWL ruined it and capcom and steam i am so pissed off a game i bought years ago i can't play anymore hope you get it over here GoG
Yep, great example of a terrible practice. GFWL screwed up so many games.

Incidentally someone posted in that game's steam forum how to disable GFWL; may as well try their suggestion.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198862447192/recommended/209100/

There's probably other suggestions too.
gamesfreak64: Example of a gaming world that is DRM free : everyone will start selling games , since DRM is gone ........
the competition however will be very tough, everyone will try to sell the games at their lowest price , more competition and more likely some might lose the DRM battle and have to stop selling games, so maybe DRM is nececcary to keep things balanced.
Cannot see your logic there.

Why would everyone start selling games because DRM is gone?
DRM is not really about selling, it is about the ability to obtain and play.
It would still be illegal to sell something you do not have the rights for.

I could sell you a game with or without DRM now, but I wouldn't do so, because I would get in trouble ... serious trouble. DRM or not really has no bearing on that.

Just because a game doesn't have DRM, does not mean you are allowed to sell it without permission.

DRM is not Copyright, it is just a method by some to enforce Copyright adherence.
Post edited October 15, 2019 by Timboli
victorchopin: Something pretty wicked and pretty new also is going on.
Yeah... pretty new. It's called capitalism and it's been around for quite some time now. CEOs and shareholders want money and protection, it's as easy as that. Read Steinbeck (he's a superb writer in my opinion, very poetic, even if he likes to exaggerate (or does he?)), you'll agree with me that it's nothing new and far from the worst they can do.

As an unrelated babble:
My beef with GOG today is the community. For example, every thread is now a thread about Linux, even if the topic is not at all related. Keep it up guys, more power to you, it will keep guys like me from participating (and already I can guess a very probable answer to that).
Carradice: Games that instal DRM software that makes your computer run more slowly. Why?

Software that requires a live connection to the internet or else you cannot work with it. Why?

Video DVDs that you bought while in another world region that you cannot play anymore. Why?

Digital books that require heroic efforts in order to let you quote them while writing an essay. Why?

All this, against someone who legitimately paid for the media. While those who just pirate the software, the video or the book have none of these problems.
Yep, so very on point. DRM just punishes paying customers while those who pirate are given a better use exprience free of charge.

I like supporting creative talent that make things I enjoy, but after so many negitive expriences with DRM I've just decided that products with it aren't worth the bother. It's not like there aren't many, many, other options to any given title, show, progame, or book.

For my money these days it's DRM free or I don't bother.
victorchopin: Something pretty wicked and pretty new also is going on.
ng: Yeah... pretty new. It's called capitalism and it's been around for quite some time now. CEOs and shareholders want money and protection, it's as easy as that. Read Steinbeck (he's a superb writer in my opinion, very poetic, even if he likes to exaggerate (or does he?)), you'll agree with me that it's nothing new and far from the worst they can do.
Good one. I meant new - for games- in a way that even our games are somehow disposable or similar in some sort of way. Heck I still got some old carts laying around, 30+ yrs and they're there. Will I be able to fully play my Crusader Kings II with all mods and such in 30 years? Don't know.

Look at OnLive and Desura, or even Gametap, for instance (yeah many others but these 3 I had somehow a ""crush"" on); gone, forever. You can track stuff from the Sega Net or Satellaview for instance, too, but those were particular cases. Bad practices that will eventually take a turn to a lighter side the day of St. Never. Or when bats donate blood. It's here to stay and those who stand still, bold and proud, deserve an award.

That's why this anti drm movement is so vital.
Post edited October 15, 2019 by victorchopin
low rated
gamesfreak64: Example of a gaming world that is DRM free : everyone will start selling games , since DRM is gone ........
the competition however will be very tough, everyone will try to sell the games at their lowest price , more competition and more likely some might lose the DRM battle and have to stop selling games, so maybe DRM is nececcary to keep things balanced.
Timboli: Cannot see your logic there.

Why would everyone start selling games because DRM is gone?
DRM is not really about selling, it is about the ability to obtain and play.
It would still be illegal to sell something you do not have the rights for.

I could sell you a game with or without DRM now, but I wouldn't do so, because I would get in trouble ... serious trouble. DRM or not really has no bearing on that.

Just because a game doesn't have DRM, does not mean you are allowed to sell it without permission.

DRM is not Copyright, it is just a method by some to enforce Copyright adherence.
I guess you misread my answer ......... that is why you cannot see the logic here.

First i never said anyone will sell games if all games would be DRM free, or start selling games, also never said that people are/ will be allowed to sell games they have no license for to sell it....

i assumed you would know i automatically refered to legit people selling DRM games.... more people will start an official business selling games, the competition will grow and things will get out of control, cause soon people will try to sell it at the lowest price.

Anyway i explained what i was talking about.
low rated
Page showed weird signs

check: funny_characters.jpg

Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Obsidian Edition was only 80 Yen

check : 80_yen.png
Attachments:
80_yen.png (21 Kb)
gamesfreak64: i assumed you would know i automatically refered to legit people selling DRM games.... more people will start an official business selling games, the competition will grow and things will get out of control, cause soon people will try to sell it at the lowest price.
You mean for example if GOG had competitors also selling DRM-free games? You're saying that the competition between them would cause a devaluation of the games? And that places like Steam, because they have DRM, are necessary to keep this from happening? Sorry, I'm just trying to be clear on what you are saying.

Anyway, I don't see game valuation dropping if GOG gets DRM-free competitors. I believe the publishers still have final say on lowest price those games can be sold at, and I don't think they would allow that to happen. It would depend entirely on the contract they signed with the stores, and I don't think the publishers would sign a contract that would allow that to happen.
gamesfreak64: I guess you misread my answer ......... that is why you cannot see the logic here.
I doubt I misread it, it is more like you misstated if I got it wrong.
I guess you could say I misread your intent, but it seemed pretty clear to me what you said.

Seems pretty clear to me, so maybe you need to say it better, if that is not what you meant.

If I am wrong about what you meant, then perhaps you can make what you meant clearer to me, as I am none the wiser from your lack of addressing the issues I raised.

i assumed you would know i automatically refered to legit people selling DRM games.... more people will start an official business selling games, the competition will grow and things will get out of control, cause soon people will try to sell it at the lowest price.
I guess you should know about ASSuME.

The one issue you addressed, does not make sense.
Why will more stores sell because there is no DRM?
Many stores sell Steam Keys now for example.

Just because, in your scenario, more stores are selling games, doesn't mean the publisher/developer is going to accept less money for a game.

So the only way to be cheaper, is for the store to receive less profit. They won't last long as a business if not enough profit is made.

And a game store needs to sell enough games to be viable. So too many stores is not viable. Likewise if non game stores start selling games, game stores won't be viable.

At the end of the day, it is all down to marketing and who the publisher/developer choose to release their game through.

P.S. If you want a real world example now, then look at the DRM-Free games that are available now, that GOG don't sell. For some of those, they would if they could. It is all about a deal with the distributor, who they would get the game from.
Post edited October 16, 2019 by Timboli
look at all the games you think you own on steam, you dnt you pay £40 for lets say GTAV, well you DO NOT own the game you are jsut renting it from steam why, lets say steam shutdown permanently ( it wont) but lets say it did, that GTAV game you bought for £40 would not be accessible cos there is noway on steam to downlaod an offline installer and play it without the steam client. that is the problem with DRM!

but i find it quite shocking how easily people are willing to give up personal info about themselfs,

twitter/facebook
twitch account ( if there a streamer)
instagram ( selfies etc)
p.o box ( gives there nearby location unless there smart and use one not near them)
using real info in your primary emails
steam account

if your a streamer all u need is twitter and twitch maybe a po box if u want people to send u shit
if your not a streamer then u dnt need any of the above or to disclose this information

the only ifo that is mandatory to give out in 2019 is

bank details if you wanna buy something online
your name and address
ISP,utilities etc

ofc your thinking isnt that just as bad as the bad things i mentioned, no its not, cos if yyou buy from decent websites like amazon your info isnt likely to be hacked, but if you create an online profile of y ourself with pics etc, it makes people who wanna find u alot easier, your real name doesnt even matter anyways cos theres prolly over 100+ people with your name somewhere else in the world but if u combine all this stuff with pics and other social media stuff then it becomes quite dangerous.
What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!

Honestly?

I don't like DRM. I like to think I try to do something about the existence of DRM. Everyone who is there trying to do something significant in the 'fight' against DRM has my sympathy and if possible, my support.

However. GOG.COM and similar storefronts are NOT the only source for DRM free software. Even Steam sells DRM free games. And what IS GOG.COM's actual contribution to this fight against DRM? Apart from selling DRM free software? I don't want to be rude but that is not at all clear, at least not to me.

And how about the inconveniences of buying DRM free? One I especially like is the 'try before you buy' option, which you don't have. At least not here on GOG.COM. Some countries even have (sometimes old-fashioned, but applicable to software) legislation that requires such an option to be available for consumers. So, you test-drive a car; you sight-see a house; listen to music, page through a book: so you can Try Before You Buy. What happened to the old fashioned 90's demos, the shareware and "why" were they most of the time replaced by non-descriptive trailers and gameplay on YouTube?

Look. DRM free is - once downloaded - yours to keep for life, which is great if it is what you expected but less so, when you can't return it or give it to someone else (here on GOG.COM for instance), in case you are disappointed.

So, right back to the honesty at the beginning of my response.

However much I like GOG.COM...the lack of the Try before you Buy option hinders my willingness to buy (at least at full-price) at GOG.COM, especially since this option IS available when using 'other platforms'.

On a second note. The games I mainly played this year; RimWorld and StarSector, I got them directly from the horse's mouth. Which in the end is my most preferred method.

Cheers to all!
Post edited October 16, 2019 by petitmal