It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
1 I really do like games, collecting it, re-playing it, having fun talking about it, playing since 90` on number of machines.

2 My friend showed me gog.com in 2018

3 If you happy and you know it clap your hands!
clap! clap!

DRM-free versions of games giving me best gaming experience, ever!, its like Christmas whole year with trusting each other,
still everything checked and tight and updated!

I found and finding 90% of games I wanted to play here on gog.com, MASSIVE games library,
missing 5% is abandonware/freeware, ready to download from different internet sources
but I want gog version of it now (read: updated to all OS and playable),
the other missing 5%... developers will realize that Digital Rights Management cannot affect games or gamers.

Go DRM-free! Go Gog.com!

fish
Post edited October 13, 2019 by user deleted
And the result from the protests are?.........''crickets''
If I can I always buy DRM-free from GOG keep up the awesome work! :)
GOG doesn't treat its customers like criminals.

I was burnt by TAGES (on a game that later went DRM-free on GOG.com, no less). Never again. DRM interferes with legitimate use more than it deters piracy.
This is one of the reasons I always have and likely always will purchase my games through GOG whenever possible.

DRM is pure evil and should die a horrible, horrible death.
high rated
My OS is without DRM, like my games, thanks GOG.
high rated
I guesst the worst of the worst knd of DRM were those used on CD and DVD disks back in the days. I still have several games, that I in theory could play, yet I can not, because, while games are perfectly compatible with newer versions of operating systems, the DRM used on those disks are not. Which means, you can only play cracked versions, not your legal ones. That's some "protection"!
high rated
GOG.com: Defective by Design
I refer to it as "built-in killswitch", and it's unacceptable for me; I am collector - I have a sizeable library at home, both in books and games. The idea that any producer of a good can just take it away from me again - after I bought it, fair and square - is criminal, and my mind still cannot wrap itself around the state of affairs that this is legal as it pertains to digital goods.

So yeah, I have come to buy exclusively from GOG. I used to use Steam as well for some games I was sure would never find their way here (some of which now have, and which I am in the process of buying a second time), but frankly, with its lack of curation and the over-all risk I am running by buying products that may or may not have such killswitches in them, I have as good as stopped giving Steam any money. The drop that had my barrel overflow was Rise of the Tomb Raider - which had no mention of using Denuvo on their Store page, so I thought I was save -, when it refused to start in Steam's Offline mode, and I later found out that it does use Denuvo. So yeah, I know how bad DRM is first-hand - it refuses access to something I legally own, sabotages my ownership. Imagine my car locking up because I did something with it the manufacturer disapproves of, like breaking the speed limit. Insanity.

And since this was a whole lot of negativity (warranted, because DRM is pure assfuckery of honest customers, and nobody else), I really do appreciate that GOG treats me like a customer instead of a criminal. Their model can only thrive if we as customers honor the Gentleman's Agreement of keeping our copy, well, our copy - not giving it out to everyone that asks. Because we could, without any obstacle.

That is a lot of trust that GOG puts into their customers, and it makes me actually honor their deal fervently. The adage of "treat people like you want them to behave" shows its pertinence here: GOG treats me like I am an honest customer, so I am, and it feels good. Services with DRM treat me like a criminal. That is not a good feeling, and I am glad I was able to leave it behind.
high rated
I am from Italy and when I think of what happened when MTV bought the old Italian Videomusic I still feel saddened. Despite our protests, MTV destroyed the whole acquired video archive, with many only copies of our underground musical history. This is a loss that can never be undone. I never want to see this happen again to any game, music album, film, tv series, book. Culture must be preserved.
Post edited October 13, 2019 by Dogmaus
Steam and Epic games sucks.
low rated
GOD bless gog and cdpr!

you are the heros of video games!

without you, I would be playing Nothing.

Because of you gog and cdpr, and your pro-freedom pro-privacy anti-drm values, I have gone on so many adventures and experienced so many amazing stories that I would have absolutely never had the chance to experience, because I adamantly refuse to play any games from any other place than from gog.com because nobody else deserves my attention and my support and money like gog.com does. YOU ARE THE STANDARD FOR THE RIGHT WAY OF DOING VIDEO GAMES. NOBODY ELSE COMES EVEN CLOSE.

My hardcore respect, sincerely, Fridgeband.
GOG.com: Defective by Design
Mueslinator: I refer to it as "built-in killswitch", and it's unacceptable for me; I am collector - I have a sizeable library at home, both in books and games. The idea that any producer of a good can just take it away from me again - after I bought it, fair and square - is criminal, and my mind still cannot wrap itself around the state of affairs that this is legal as it pertains to digital goods.

So yeah, I have come to buy exclusively from GOG. I used to use Steam as well for some games I was sure would never find their way here (some of which now have, and which I am in the process of buying a second time), but frankly, with its lack of curation and the over-all risk I am running by buying products that may or may not have such killswitches in them, I have as good as stopped giving Steam any money. The drop that had my barrel overflow was Rise of the Tomb Raider - which had no mention of using Denuvo on their Store page, so I thought I was save -, when it refused to start in Steam's Offline mode, and I later found out that it does use Denuvo. So yeah, I know how bad DRM is first-hand - it refuses access to something I legally own, sabotages my ownership. Imagine my car locking up because I did something with it the manufacturer disapproves of, like breaking the speed limit. Insanity.

And since this was a whole lot of negativity (warranted, because DRM is pure assfuckery of honest customers, and nobody else), I really do appreciate that GOG treats me like a customer instead of a criminal. Their model can only thrive if we as customers honor the Gentleman's Agreement of keeping our copy, well, our copy - not giving it out to everyone that asks. Because we could, without any obstacle.

That is a lot of trust that GOG puts into their customers, and it makes me actually honor their deal fervently. The adage of "treat people like you want them to behave" shows its pertinence here: GOG treats me like I am an honest customer, so I am, and it feels good. Services with DRM treat me like a criminal. That is not a good feeling, and I am glad I was able to leave it behind.
Sadly these companies are working toward including it in things like our cars by default.
I highly reccomend this book that delves into the resarch and background on this subject - http://www.shoshanazuboff.com/ - anyone who doesn't want DRM in their life needs to know how, and how much certain companies are pushing for a total DRM world.
Thank you for being what your are, GOG!
Crosmando: GOG you would attract more people to the DRM-free cause if you released better games here, unfortunately all you've released lately is low-quality indie crap while rejecting good games like Grimoire and Aeon of Sands.
You don't think Grimoire is the definition of low quality indie crap?
Tauto: And the result from the protests are?.........''crickets''
Don't expect quick results. Things that try to change the status quo on a large scale tend to take years or, more likely, decades. And often will fail, sure, but the reason to fight is the difference between probably and certainly. Some are more optimistic, I'm not, so I say that if those interested do fight, they will probably lose and fail to bring about the desired change, but if they do not fight, then the desired change will certainly not happen. That's what keeps me in any fight, really. Not much of a motivation for those needing one, but also spares one from disappointment or giving up due to becoming disheartened. Hope for the best but expect the worst and any good that happens is a pleasant surprise while the bad can't be a deterrent.
Also, when desired to be implemented bottom-up, such major changes are a numbers game. See how it is for the more important issues too, like environmental ones. Need either significant numbers being very vocal and visible or a truly mass movement of more silent but nevertheless determined people. The latter is more effective, whether it comes to politics, with voting, or corporate behavior, mainly through boycotts. But with people being as they are and not caring, they're very unlikely to reach the necessary critical mass. So the path is the "visibility" one, with those already interested being "activated", attending protests, writing individual messages to decisionmakers, submitting thorough opinions when decisions are up for public consultation, forming NGOs and taking part in official consultations, requesting audiences... In that sense, the more important effect of such an event is on the people who already care, getting some of those who so far just muttered about things to actually be more active, therefore indirectly aiding in steering things in the desired direction in time, without an expectation to directly influence the desired change now.

(Er, hope this won't fall foul of the "no politics" rule again? After all, it was GOG that started this "political" thread now.)
Post edited October 13, 2019 by Cavalary