It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Crosmando: GOG you would attract more people to the DRM-free cause if you released better games here, unfortunately all you've released lately is low-quality indie crap while rejecting good games like Grimoire and Aeon of Sands.
paladin181: You don't think Grimoire is the definition of low quality indie crap?
I think people's definition of what crap indies are a bit irrelevant to be honest, especially in this thread. There are so many nowadays, and to appease so many people. An indie good for one person, could be considered crap for another.

(Unless of course, 'games' clearly made only as quick way to gain some bucks, through gaming steams' card system, for instance)
GenlyAi: I think people's definition of what crap indies are a bit irrelevant to be honest, especially in this thread. There are so many nowadays, and to appease so many people. An indie good for one person, could be considered crap for another.

(Unless of course, 'games' clearly made only as quick way to gain some bucks, through gaming steams' card system, for instance)
Oh I love Grimoire, but it is no more or less quality or indie than many of the admittedly good games released here lately.
GenlyAi: I think people's definition of what crap indies are a bit irrelevant to be honest, especially in this thread. There are so many nowadays, and to appease so many people. An indie good for one person, could be considered crap for another.

paladin181: Oh I love Grimoire, but it is no more or less quality or indie than many of the admittedly good games released here lately.
I see, sorry to misinterpreted you! :)
GenlyAi: I see, sorry to misinterpreted you! :)
It's cool, I was merely asking him, that since he feels the recent releases are low quality, then how are they worse than Grimoire? The answer is because their devs aren't raging right wing lunatics.
Are we all back appreciating DRM yet? Gabe’s starting to feel penniless.
nightcraw1er.488: Gabe’s starting to feel penniless.
One less swimming pool filled with cash replaced with that of salty tears.
Relevant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2BI6iuWxw&t=176
GOG.com: What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
My first encounter with DRM was with CD checks back in the 90-00 era. That started me looking into ISO makers and 1:1 ratio emulators that allowed me to play my games when I want. not keep 30 disks on my desk for when i "might" want to play a game. After that it was online activation for titles (some limited to a certain number) The worst offender was WindowsLive games and other like them. After that was Steam... Steam was the downfall for me. I gave in and stopped trying to fight. Still bought physical copies when i could.

One day GOG.com popped up on a chat forum, it was late 2008 or so when people were talking about it and in 2009 i took the jump. I was tired of looking for ways around DRM and decided to only buy DRM free games or games that had DRM patched out of it.

As for my storefronts, I use a combination of GOG, GamersGate, HumbleBundle, used to use Bundle Stars, and self publishers via Kickstarter for DRM free games. recently I've found some gems on Itch. Today I've converted 80% of my steam collection to DRM free versions that exist and only have a very small amount that still require steam. If i can I'll buy a bargain copy or private reseller of a title on console before buying it for the PC if it has DRM. That said you'll see me pay full price and sometimes collectors editions of DRM free games without batting an eye! I'm looking at you Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077 and VtM:Bloodlines 2, and did someone say System Shock :)

As a last thought: DRM works for multiplayer games, i accept this and 100% support it. but for players that hate multiplayer and only want the full singleplayer experience without having there hand tied its not right. Why should i have to log into Steam, then Another client, and then a launcher, and then enter a password to play a game that i am the only person in the world on.. and then to top it off if my connection lags for longer then :30 seconds I'm kicked to the menu? NO THANK YOU! And now we have streaming games where you don't even have the files, your renting the ability of another computer to render and play the game as you watch though a live stream and "hope" it all just works out for you.

#FCKDRM and have a nice day ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Post edited October 13, 2019 by Starkrun
Totally agree. If the market was rational consumers would fully demand this as a status quo.
I know, everything is flower and sunshine in this DRM-FREE land.
But what about drm-free multiplayer? Yeah, i know, i repeating myself and nobody cares.
But when we can't initiate multiplayer without check against publishers servers, then multiplayer is DRMed.

For example Age of Wonders Planetfall: Paradox Account is required for Multi-Player
P8j6: But what about drm-free multiplayer? Yeah, i know, i repeating myself and nobody cares.
Nah, some of us do care, still there are too many DRM apologists or "pragmatic people," who give up their rights in order to get things.
Post edited October 13, 2019 by clarry
Been playing computer games since I was 6 back in the 80's. Growing up around computer games from that era, I saw how DRM creep-ed in during the early to late 90's. I tried a few digital distribution systems from Desura to Steam to itch.io and as time went on I kept on coming back to GOG because I want the binary files to do with as I please.

I'm just not interested in anything else outside of me paying for game and getting the game. If I have to do more than that like make sure I'm online, verify cd-keys and anything else - I walk away..
Post edited October 14, 2019 by _RafiLinux_
I would love to see a section of DRM free books on GOG. Main topic: Sci-Fi & Fantasy related
Good to see GOG acknowledging it.
high rated
I've switched from Windows to Linux many years ago. I've stopped buying games on disks years ago when the simple file or bad sector check changed to more intrusive DRM mechanisms. After that I only got my games from game magazines where included games mostly were DRM-free, until that changed too. Then, a few years ago, GOG came to the rescue and I bought almost all of my games on GOG.

Unfortunately since then GOG also has changed. Similar to all the DRM'ed stores they more and more try to lock customers into their shop specific services. Nevertheless I still will buy games on GOG as long as we get offline-installers, at least the single player mode stays DRM-free and Galaxy does not get into my way. But as soon as there will be again a shop which is completely DRM-free and sells the games without adding any proprietary shop extensions I probably will switch.

Another sad point on GOG is the lack of a lot of Linux game versions, which are available in other stores. I wish GOG would spend more effort on getting the missing Linux versions of all their games into the shop. Wouldn't supporting the most used DRM-free OS be a natural thing when your main selling point is DRM-free'ness?
Post edited October 13, 2019 by eiii