It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Has anyone noticed, if AAA games ever got cheaper on release, thanks to the advent of DRM, especially the Steam kind?

I mean, DRM would have to make a big difference, wouldn't it?
What with all the reduction in piracy, and the fact that they can save megabucks by selling games online now instead of on disc, and no more missing out due to second hand etc sales.

Some might think, no, because DRM costs a lot of money.
Well I guess that is probably true, but if the profits are not bigger due to DRM, then what is the point?

A lot of time, money and effort to go to, if you end up with essentially the same profit, perhaps even less ... as surely sharing is also a good promotional activity, second only to advertising ... maybe even better, because it is essentially free.

In fact, it very much seems to be the case, that the customer in a very real sense is paying more, because they used to own the product they bought. Now it is only loaned to them, with a license that can be taken away almost anytime. They also have far less control over things, which is not helpful when something goes wrong. They can't resell either, so what they now have, has far less value, but isn't any cheaper.

No wonder there is so many unhappy customers out there, especially when issues happen, and why GOG is certainly quite popular and loved by many.
Post edited October 21, 2019 by Timboli
GOG.com: This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Timboli: That is a worry indeed, but it might depend on who did the sealing.
And certainly you would be able to return the game to any legitimate place, as there should be significant records for investigation, something Valve could not legally ignore. Talking new here, not second hand.
Well it was a third party seller through Amazon but it was sealed. As I said I got a refund after I returned it but this sort of thing shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything that can be done with my Half-Life 1 Anthology set except buy it through Steam because even with physical proof Valve don't care. It's just having a case, DVD and manual for something I can't use that annoys me.
What is DRM?
GOG.com: This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

I might be able to answer if at some point you told me what DRM means?
Ross_Martin: What is DRM?
You can find an explanation of what is DRM on our FCK DRM page.