It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
high rated
I really only play the games I download from GOG, Humble, itch.io direct. Recently I have been using Steam, but never for even a full hour; I always keep it there to download a game I want to review, play it, then when's the review's all finished I forget about the game and shut off Steam. Recently I've been considering deleting the whole thing and going steam CMD, since I can at least emphasize with a command line prompt to a honestly crappy service rather than stare at their was awful, is awful and will be awful interface.

That said, DRM-free is a big reason why I lingered on GOG for so long, and it will be why I stick with you guys to the bitter end. Keep going strong!
high rated
I really love the idea in owning the games that I purchase without any restrictions wherein I could play or access the game anytime, with or without any Internet connections and the ability to be played offline and especially the option to download backup offline installers/setups and play the games locally with friends.The list goes on. That's why I only buy games here in GOG.COM and despise Steam for what it really is, a den of DRM evil! I sincerely hope that GOG.COM will continue to strive and uphold and stay true to its core pillars on its stance about making games DRM-Free until the end of time!

Perhaps one of the best moments in gaming history is that GOG.COM exist in the first place, a haven for old school gamers like us! and that's a sign that things are going to get better from here on out! Just very happy that more games are available in GOG.COM as time passes! Be it classics like Badur's Gate and Diablo, (Hope to see Diablo 2 soon lol) or JRPGs and Japanese Visual Novels! All is well I suppose!
high rated
DRM sucks. :-) I have written about how frustrating it is many times on my blog - https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/search?q=drm

I once had to send a projector back because of Macrovision. Key-based DRM also stopped me running a game I'd bought on Gamersgate: https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/2013/11/why-i-hate-drm-i-want-to-play.html

My posts are full of examples of how crappy DRM is. It's the main reason I prefer to buy my games on GOG (and always use direct download, not clients).

Even though I am an author, I am also totally against DRM in all media, including books; and also think copyright laws should be loosened so people can do more with what they pay for (I mention it a bit at https://www.karldrinkwater.uk/2016/09/copyright-restrictions-on-books.html).

Keep up the good work!
GOG.com: This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Organized by the Free Software Foundation and spread through its Defective by Design campaign, the International Day Against DRM’s mission is to one day eliminate DRM restrictions as a threat to privacy, freedom, and innovation in media. This year’s object focuses on how restrictive digital rights can hinder access to textbooks and academic publications. Obviously, these ideals hit extremely close to our gaming hearts.

GOG.COM is the place where all your games are DRM-free, meaning you can store and enjoy the games that you bought without the need to constantly stay online and repeatedly prove your ownership. This is one of the core pillars we built our service around 11 years ago and continue to maintain today.

We deeply believe in giving gamers the freedom of choice. We understand that some gamers may prefer to rent or stream their games and that’s totally fine! We simply believe in allowing gamers to choose how they consume their media - whether it’s renting, streaming, or owning their games DRM-free.

Both solutions have their benefits, but owning your games without restrictions means having the ability to backup your games, access them offline, and easily preserve a piece of gaming heritage for future generations. You can read more about the benefits of DRM-free media on our FCK DRM page and make sure to visit the Defective by Design page to learn more about their cause, as well.

What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Congrats to you guys at GOG. This store along with the amazing GOG community is probably the best thing that could happen to gaming as whole in the last decade to be honest. Wish you guys all the best and stay strong :). Cheers
high rated
GOG.com: What is your experience with DRM in various media? Are GOG.COM and similar DRM-free storefronts your only source of games or do you get them on other platforms as well? Let us know in the comments!
Have not (knowingly) bought a DRMed game in a long time. Do not have and never had an account on one of the storefronts with inbuilt DRM like Steam.
high rated
On the International Day Against DRM page, they show how to participate to the event. Here is an exemple of what we can do:

"The easiest way to participate is to join us in going a Day Without DRM, and resolve to spend an entire day (or longer!) without Netflix, Hulu, and other restricted services to show your support of the movement. Document your experiences on social media using the tags "#idad" or "#dbd", and let us know at info@defectivebydesign.org if you have a special story you'd like us to share."

"To spend an entire day or longer"?!
I never used Netflix in my life, I do not know what Hulu is, I buy my music on CD and my video games here on GOG.
Did I participate unknowingly all these years?

Also, I would love to document my experiences on social media, but I am not on social media and will never be.
I guess this event is not for me.
GOG.com: This year, join us on October 12th for the International Day Against DRM, as we help spread knowledge and information about the benefits of DRM-free games, movies, and other forms of media.

Did not know that CDPROJECTRED had a gaming platform till the pre order of cyberpunk 2077. That was when I switched from DRM to NON-DRM, and i must say, it has been an amazing experience so far. Compared to Steam's laggy clunky UI which is cluttered with too much stuff, I say GOG has a much simple yet efficient UI for users. The fact that you can see all your games in the library on shelves shows how much GOG cares about consumers and knows what we want. i can't wait to start a new journey with GOG Galaxy 2.0 when it comes out after closed beta.
high rated
I have THE shelf on which there are discs with games. Very special shelf. The games there are not very new there, but this is because from a certain moment I stopped "replenishing" this shelf. Once, I was even going to take all the disks from this shelf and just throw it away. Why? Because on this shelf are disks with games that I can’t just grab and play now. And it's not even that the games are not compatible with the current version of Windows. But because DRM in games from this shelf is not compatible with the modern version: some required the installation of a protection driver, and after the DRM-developer stopped supporting this protection, the driver for Windows versions newer than XP did not come out; some required online verification of the key on remote servers; some required an online check at every start. But the servers of those DRMs have been turned off for a long time, even sometimes there are no more those companies that created or published these games.
As a result, I actually have all the files of a game, but I just can’t take and play it. Wasted. Money. I was deceived for my own money. Games turned into a pumpkin.
So, why didn’t I still throw the discs from this shelf? Because I keep them as a reminder. A reminder that you cannot pay to be restricted. You cannot pay money to the racketeers who hold my games as "hostages". Which at any moment can turn the game (for which I paid money) into a bunch of useless files.
Moreover, They promised to us a digital future, but created digital slavery: now you can’t even just go and buy a CD/DVD with a working game. There is a key in the box (now it sometimes even happens that no disk is there at all, only the key itself), and you need to install a program (they call it launcher), which will require a mandatory Internet connection, which will definitely start downloading and updating something even on the day of release of the game, without the ability to refuse, without the ability to simply launch what you bought on this disk (if this disk was at all). And this launcher will watch you, will check even where you are and can block a game bought when you were in one country, if you are now in another country (different price regions) and which will require a mandatory Internet connection so that everything do it (On consoles, there are still discs with the game, but the control is even more total: the console itself requires an online account and controls everything on the console in general. And without such an account, the console is just a pile of high-tech hardware).
This program will behave in a way that directly shows what the store and the publisher say to you: "yes, you already paid for the game, but we still suspect you are a thief, and we will carefully monitor how exactly you use the purchased. Yes, we have already received the money, but do not think that you have received the goods. We will turn off your game at any time if we want".
This is the true nature of DRM: not Digital Rights Management, as they hypocritically call it, but real Digital Restrictions Management. Their management, our restrictions.
I learned a lesson, and more this special shelf does not increase in size. Already years like. And I buy games only when I’m sure that the game will work without installing any monitoring software (they call it a launcher, but according to the classification of any anti-virus laboratory this is called a trojan, the only difference is that people install such a trojan themselves), and the Internet will be required only when it is necessary for the functions of the game itself (for example, multiplayer).
DIXI.
I try to buy my games on GOG and other DRM free stores whenever possible, so it always bums me out whenever GOG rejects a game I've been looking forward to for being 'too niche'. Thankfully Steam does have some DRM free titles, but they're kinda hard to find on the storefront since they don't have a clear tag for that, and given that you don't get an installer on there, it's not always clear how easy it'll be to reinstall on a different machines once Steam goes down.
I avoid purchasing games that use DRM/online connections if I can, though sometimes they're not up front about it, like Elite: Dangerous which was originally promised to be DRM free only to turn out to be a full on always online thing.
Post edited October 12, 2019 by fisk0
As mostly a user of windows xp and still using it and very short time user of windows 10(unlucky with a pc that had win 10 on) i can say that Steam was restrictive with it's launcher drm when they started adding more requirements for their launcher but are still selling games that are meant for windows xp and also programs.
I can't access the games on steam anymore or the rpg maker vx ace program i believe, but yes i have very little games there and i beaten them almost all already. Maybe i will use steam again on a new pc.
DRM in itself on cd dvds didn't cause me too much trouble for games that work on win xp. Also asterix and obelix xxl 1 was rather a problem with drm it would spit out a weird error but i found a youtube video how to fix that and make the game work again.

But GOG on the other hand has drm-free backup installers which i can download with a browser firefox for instance and those still work with win xp and most games that previously worked on win xp still work even though it's more meant to bring old games work on modern systems.
Thanks to gog connect i brought here defender's quest but i still need to play it.
I got almost 250 games here. And yes i don't currently use any other stores maybe because i also only used paysafecard as payment method and other drm-free stores maybe don't have that as payment options.
It's good that i can backup all my games on my external HDD and use them whenever i want without the need to rechecking my ownership again. Just install and play in most situations, sometimes use of compabilities settings and some minor tweaking of options in dosbox games to make them work better.
Been on a lone crusade for years and didn't even know it. Unfortunately, this one day will not achieve anything.
Funniest thing I have seen in a long time. When I open the first link the first thing I see is Facebook and twitter links, and I didn’t think it would get better than that, but then I saw quotes by Gabe - hims of steam CEG legacy - Newel, the architect of the most widespread drm, and online platform. Not much point reading any further.
DRM Free software is the right to freedom, DRM Free Software gives respect towards customers and the company giving it. DRM Free is normality. Love DRM Free Day <3. Thank you for supporting such an important part of the software industry.
low rated
GOG you would attract more people to the DRM-free cause if you released better games here, unfortunately all you've released lately is low-quality indie crap while rejecting good games like Grimoire and Aeon of Sands.
Post edited October 12, 2019 by Crosmando