"MAC DOWNLOADER PROBLEM: FREQUENT PAUSES AND BEACHBALLING."
Hello everyone :)
I posted this in an excisting thread started by PredaN00b, but another user suggested that I was better off posting my problem here. So following that advice here it is: THE PROBLEM:
I start the Mac downloader, a few minutes later, it just pauses itself.
But now 1 more misfortune befell the app: Since yesterday it freezes during launch (beachball-of-dooming itself). The problem began suddenly and for no apparent reason, for it had been working fine for a very long while. ATTEMPTED TROUBLESHOOTING:
1) Verified if the internet connection was working properly.
Yes it was. After a brief period, it still drops to 0 download speed and pauses itself.
2) Tried to find out if my Mac's "Energy Saving" settings were interfering with the downloader (e.g. The downloader stops because the display and/or the computer falls asleep).
I set my computer not to sleep. Among other apps, only the GOG downloader had stopped working when the display fell asleep.
Then I tried to establish if the sleeping was connected to the pausing, and found that it is not. The downloader not always pauses after the display falls asleep.
3) Deleted the "com.gog.downloader.plist" and relaunched the downloader.
The downloader now freezes on launch every time.
4) Verified version of the downloader.
Downloaded the downloader :) yesterday (Sep, 21, 2013) and re-installed, hoping to fix both problems that way.
The newest version of the downloader (1.2 build 435) was what I had been using before, and re-installing it plus deleting for a second time the "com.gog.downloader.plist" did not help. The downloader still freezes on launch and has to be force-euthanised every time. FINAL NOTES:
I have a Mac crash report in a text file in case it is of use to the GOG technomancers.
I pasted it in 2 sites where you can go and see it. Take your pick ;)
1) Hey Paste It! http://www.heypasteit.com/clip/0YXV
2) Paste Bin http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=ZVhYxEhT
I am unable to provide a GOG downloader Error Report because I believe I need to open the downloader first to do so from the preferences.
Thanks in advance for any efforts placed into expunging this bewildering Gremlin.
------------------- UPDATE (2013/09/22)
------------------- SOLUTION FOUND FOR STALLING (only)
Some of the steps I took may be ineffectual or redundant but since I cannot tell for sure I will enumerate all I did just in case, and those who have studied the innards of coding (thus know what is superflous) may weed it out.
1) I re-downloaded the newest version of the downloader for Mac.
2) Uninstalled the present downloader and empited the Trash.
3) Went to: "Users/(user name)/Library/GOG.com".
4) Deleted the "GOG_Downloader.storedata" file (which I believe removed the game I was downloading from the list inside the downloader).
5) Went to: "Users/(user name)/Library/Preferences".
6) Deleted the "com.gog.downloader.plist" file.
7) Unarchived the downloader zipped file inside my Applications Folder.
8) Re-started my Mac.
9) Logged-in into GOG and went to My Account.
10) Selected a free game I just acquired and started downloading some of its contents.
11) The downloader opened, asked for my loggin data without beachballing, and started to download the selected content of the free game.
12) Went back to the game I had been downloading when the Gremlins attacked last, and started the download again from within My Account.
13) The downloader checked the slab of game I already had in my computer, and after a few moments started downloading properly and from where it had left before.
Happy end of story, rolling credits and tissues at the exit for all the tearful rejoicement.
The "persistent pausing problem" is yet to be resolved. Sad twist end of story.