It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
IMPORTANT: Please read before posting This topic has been provided to discuss the latest releases of our Downloader (for both Mac and Windows systems) and to submit bug reports. The stable releases (recommended for most users) can be found at this address:http://www.gog.com/downloader.

Latest version:

Mac OS X - 1.2 (build 512)
Windows - 3.6.0

Both Downloaders now have the option of sending Error Reports directly to us (this can be found in app under Settings).
Post edited October 29, 2013 by Fallen_Zen
Torotrumbo: I'm not an english speaker and i'm confused i must put the same e-mail and password in the downloader and in the account,no?
Yes, you use the same credentials (email address and password) in the GOG Dowloader that you use on GOG.

Happy Holidays!
Hello, I have quite a stupid problem. As I wanted to download some bonus features with GOG Downloader on my Chrome browser, it showed a security pop-up. I chose "Apply this choice for future links" and unfortunately clicked on "Do not open the file with GOG Downloader". Now, when I click, nothing happens, of course... Do you know how I could get that problem fixed? Thanks for your help, and sorry if I shouldn't have posted on this thread.
I have an issue with the downloader, it launches fine and runs however it then pauses, unpauses in a rapid cycle ie 4 / 5 times per second. As a result it is very very ! slowly downloading my games. Any ideas on what cause this, i have tried running as admin, changing all the setting, re installing it still does the same thing, any help would be appreciated.
Hi there, recently found out about this site during the Fallout promo and downloaded one of the games. I decided to try downloading another game and the downloader no longer works as it did the first time. When I click on the program, it starts up but no visible window pops up and I can't add any games from my account to the downloader. I've tried uninstalling it twice now and nothing has helped.

Is there a fix for this or am I just SOL?
Just used it the first time....and I gotta admit i like it. :)

Makes bulk DL's a breeze.

Kudos.
coffeecup: I think not, the downloader is strictly only for downloads and notifications and many people do not like your idea.
That's one of the totally awesome things about optional functionality. It allows people who like it or even demand it before they'll fork over money to be able to have the functionality they'd like such as this, however at the same time - the people who do not like it - don't have to use it! Awesome! Both groups of people can get what they want!

coffeecup: Granted, some sort of launcher may be neat, but if you buy (digital) games from different sources and whoops you have half a dozen mandatory launcher/clients gobbling up resources on your computer. Personally I don't really like the official GOG downloader and I'm using the web interface (more reliable) for downloads, but this is due technical reasons. I'm glad having choices on downloading games here on GOG.com.
I totally agree with you on that, choice is good and I very much appreciate the options we have now and also hope for more and better options in the future (better being subjective of course).

On my previous computer I had GOG Downloader, Steam, Desura all set to *NOT* start up when the OS starts up because they each used a significant amount of RAM and CPU resources just sitting there doing nothing on my aging piece of junk computer and I needed every byte of RAM and every CPU cycle just to have a lot of games and other software be even remotely bearable. I am sure many others are in the same boat. The cool thing about GOG Downloader is that you don't even need to use it at all if you don't want to, and if you do want to - you don't have to leave it running all the time or during OS startup but it's optional either way so everyone can have it how they prefer. Nowadays my preferences have changed since I built a brand new PC fully loaded and I'm no longer resource starved. Now I prefer the convenience of having these things run all of the time ready to be used and monitoring for game updates and whatnot. They might waste some resources but I've got 32GB of RAM and 8 cores @ 4GHz so having GOG, Steam, Desura, Origin, Uplay, and Capsule all in the background at once uses probably 0.05% system resources and it's more effort for me to disable them than to care. Hehehe. I have all but Uplay/Origin/Capsule set to load at startup (because the latter 3 I rarely ever use).

coffeecup: AFAIK the GOG Downloader uses a custom download method with checksummed chunks for all stuff. The size of the chunks are not as fine-grained as rsync's, but optimized for paralell downloading and saturating the available bandwith.
Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully they can come up with a new update mechanism that works well with new games that get frequent updates without using lots of network bandwidth etc. for people who would like such, while simultaneously continuing to give the experience that people currently like as well. Totally doable, they just need to pour some more coding hamsters in the wheel and churn churn churn some new bits. :P
Never had a problem with the downloader before, but now it just opens, connects, and then never initiates a download. W7, no changes to system since last download.
Post edited December 29, 2013 by DMonath
kaoticlegion: Hi there, recently found out about this site during the Fallout promo and downloaded one of the games. I decided to try downloading another game and the downloader no longer works as it did the first time. When I click on the program, it starts up but no visible window pops up and I can't add any games from my account to the downloader. I've tried uninstalling it twice now and nothing has helped.

Is there a fix for this or am I just SOL?
Happy Holidays!

A few questions:
-- What OS are you on?
-- In your %localappdata%\GOG.com directory, there's a log file. Can you open it and see if there are any error messages there?
-- And have you tried to clear everything within that directory?
Today I added some downloads by clicking on the links on my library. Downloader icon next to clock appears, it starts to download but its window can not be opened. I tried rebooting, reinstalling the gog downloader but its window does not open but it downloads the games since they appear inside the folders.
My computer completely freaks out when I use the GOG Downloader to get any big files (over 1 GB). The harddrive read speed reaches 100% and stays that way for quite a while until the file is done. It seems to be related to Avast scanning the file as it downloads, I think. I'm using Windows 8.1 btw
Hi everyone, this is a minor problem (actually two), but one that has always puzzled me. Is is possible to fix the download speed limit with slow connections? I have a very slow connection (0.7 Mbit/s, location issues) and i have to share it between 2-3 family members.

If i limit the speed say at 45 KB/s it still downloads at full 85-88 KB/s (but says 45 on the interface). I checked with a network activity monitor and by checking numbers on the downloaded amount of data.

I've tried reducing the concurrent connections (thought that at extreme cases a number higher than 1 could put a minimum speed limit higher that the total bandwidth available to me, since I've tinkered with concurred downloading myself as a programmer).

The result is that indeed the download speed slows down towards the desired one, but still not quite right. I set 40 KB\s as a limit, and concurrent connections to 1, waited for the program to terminate the extra connections it had and then started monitoring the speed. result: it downloads at 60 KB/s instead of 40 . I checked the amounts on the interface and used a timer, precision of a second or two, the time to move my eyes from the timer to the program and read the number.

Again, this is a minor problem, but it would be cool if lowering too much the speed limit would automatically lower the parallel connections, and even more cool if the actual download speed would be, so people with slow internet can enjoy some internet browsing while downloading, or not screw up other people's browsing or whatnot if they're connected to the network.
Im having some problems with the downloader, when i try to download it from gog, it stops and gives and error. The download doesnt finish.
tryingnewstyle: Im having some problems with the downloader, when i try to download it from gog, it stops and gives and error. The download doesnt finish.
Are you having problems with downloading the app from our website? The connection drops in the middle?
Sor_Eddie: My computer completely freaks out when I use the GOG Downloader to get any big files (over 1 GB). The harddrive read speed reaches 100% and stays that way for quite a while until the file is done. It seems to be related to Avast scanning the file as it downloads, I think. I'm using Windows 8.1 btw
Yes, some antivirus software seems to interfere with our Downloader. Try adding it to a white list or disable antivirus while using it. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ancalimon: Today I added some downloads by clicking on the links on my library. Downloader icon next to clock appears, it starts to download but its window can not be opened. I tried rebooting, reinstalling the gog downloader but its window does not open but it downloads the games since they appear inside the folders.
The window does not pop up when you double click the icon?
Post edited January 07, 2014 by Fallen_Zen
Think this got missed on previous page ??
I have an issue with the downloader, it launches fine and runs however it then pauses, unpauses in a rapid cycle ie 4 / 5 times per second. As a result it is very very ! slowly downloading my games. Any ideas on what cause this, i have tried running as admin, changing all the setting, re installing it still does the same thing, any help would be appreciated.
Fallen_Zen: The window does not pop up when you double click the icon?
Yes the Window did not pop up when I double clicked the icon or the little icon next to clock. I was running but its window was not opening. A day after this started to happen it also stopped downloading things in background. I needed to format my computer because I changed some hardware anyway and now it's working again.