It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

budejovice: That's not exactly true, but it probably gets close. For example, Humble sells (authorized) GOG keys for the Witchers and for Defender's Quest. Groupees has included gog keys in a few bundles. I don't know the story with Amazon...
Can you provide a link that confirms the authenticity of that claim from an actual GOG employee? Otherwise GOG executives have previously stated that GOG game keys are not sold anywhere but GOG.com, so unless a GOG employee or customer support or similar on GOG.com states that keys sold on Humble or elsewhere are legitimate, then I don't believe it personally. Anyone can claim anything, but unless it is confirmed by GOG directly then it is just an Internet rumour at best to me.
budejovice: That's not exactly true, but it probably gets close. For example, Humble sells (authorized) GOG keys for the Witchers and for Defender's Quest. Groupees has included gog keys in a few bundles. I don't know the story with Amazon...
skeletonbow: Can you provide a link that confirms the authenticity of that claim from an actual GOG employee? Otherwise GOG executives have previously stated that GOG game keys are not sold anywhere but GOG.com, so unless a GOG employee or customer support or similar on GOG.com states that keys sold on Humble or elsewhere are legitimate, then I don't believe it personally. Anyone can claim anything, but unless it is confirmed by GOG directly then it is just an Internet rumour at best to me.
The broad-sweeping nature of the statement makes its accuracy questionable, especially after taking into account the variety of established storefronts through which GOG keys can be purchased. Surely they could not all be illegally reselling GOG games...?

For an official source, I don't have a direct repudiation of this claim, but refer to the list of suggested retailers through which The Witcher 3 may be purchased. It becomes clear that the tweet made by GOG was not entirely correct - since I don't believe they would endorse other sellers (such as uPlay, which sells GOG game keys rather than GOG games distributed through its own platform), only to throw them under the bus by accusing them of illegitimacy.
expopower: The broad-sweeping nature of the statement makes its accuracy questionable, especially after taking into account the variety of established storefronts through which GOG keys can be purchased. Surely they could not all be illegally reselling GOG games...?
There is a big difference between selling something illegally, and selling it legally but unauthorized. What has happened in the past is that people were buying massive copies of The Witcher 3 for example through Russia to get the cheapest pricing, then reselling it elsewhere online. That is not necessarily illegal, but it is not authorized by GOG and the stores that sell those copies of the game are not officially authorized by GOG to do so and do not have any formal business partnership. That is what "unauthorized" means. It is dirty unethical business practices, but depending on the exact legal agreements when purchasing the games in the first place from GOG and the laws of the countries involved it may not be illegal.

People confuse "not illegal" with meaning "authorized" or "legitimate". What I'm claiming is that GOG executives have stated clearly before that the only place to buy authorized copies of GOG games is directly on GOG.com, therefore any copies of GOG games available elsewhere are unauthorized by definition. So unless GOG has established a business partnership with Humble or any other stores that are selling GOG keys, then those sites are selling unauthorized games that were obtained in a shady manner. This is not unlike sites like G2A.com for example that sell Steam keys obtained in similar shady fashion, where at a later date sometimes Valve or Origin or whatever publisher decides to invalidate all of the games and remove them from peoples accounts due to being obtained through means that violate their terms of service agreements. Again, this does not mean that any laws were broken nor that any criminal activity has occurred, it means only that terms of service agreements may have been broken and such companies can take action to remove the games and/or invalidate them, or to terminate customer's accounts who have games that violate the terms of service.

To the best of my knowledge GOG has not removed any games from people's accounts nor terminated accounts to date for people who have acquired games this way through shady unauthorized means, and they haven't indicated anything suggesting that they will in the future either, but depending on the fine wording of their EULAs and other agreements it is possible that they could if they wanted to. They probably wouldn't because doing so often comes with undesired customer backlash.

Thus there may or may not be any consequences to customers buying GOG games on 3rd party stores selling their games unethically. Nonetheless, unauthorized is unauthorized whether or not it is illegal, and that does matter to some customers. I personally wont knowingly buy a game from a store if I know that the store is obtaining their games through unethical means such as through 3rd party accounts buying games through Russia to get preferred prices. I want GOG to succeed and grow because they're doing a wonderful thing for PC gaming and I want to support them in a way that benefits GOG, not take advantage of them in a way that benefits only me and some 3rd party ripoff site.

I'd strongly caution people against doing so with Steam games though because there have been cases where customers ended up losing their games afterward with Steam/Origin crackdowns and that would really suck to buy a game and think you saved $5 or whatever, then end up losing the game and having no way to get your money back afterward.

Having said that, I wont criticize or judge anyone who chooses to buy such unauthorized games either, to each their own. I just think people should be aware of the truth of the matter when they decide to make such purchases, that they are aware of these matters and that they're making a conscious decision either way rather than potentially end up getting ripped off and saying "Well I didn't know that!" afterward. I've seen that too many times in the past and it's sad to see people upset after having games removed from their accounts on any gaming service.

expopower: For an official source, I don't have a direct repudiation of this claim, but refer to the list of suggested retailers through which The Witcher 3 may be purchased. It becomes clear that the tweet made by GOG was not entirely correct - since I don't believe they would endorse other sellers (such as uPlay, which sells GOG game keys rather than GOG games distributed through its own platform), only to throw them under the bus by accusing them of illegitimacy.
GOG.com and CD Projekt RED are two separate subsidiaries of CD Projekt. What stores are authorized to sell GOG.com video games and what stores are authorized to sell CD Projekt RED's Witcher 3 game are two completely different things.

The Witcher 3 game is authorized to be sold by the stores listed on the website you link to, and that may vary around the world. Those are agreements that CD Projekt RED has with the given stores. I'm not completely certain what distribution platform you get a Witcher 3 key for when you buy the game from any of the listed authorized stores, but one thing is certain in that case, which is that whatever you get, it has been authorized so it doesn't really matter.

The statement about what stores GOG authorizes to sell GOG games, pertains not to CD Projekt RED, but to the games available in the GOG game catalogue being sold as products that redeem on GOG.com. If GOG has not authorized Humble store to sell the GOG version of any GOG game, perhaps in some agreement between GOG, the publisher and the other storefront, then that store is just not authorized officially to sell the game. It doesn't get much simpler than that.
Post edited January 29, 2016 by skeletonbow
high rated
skeletonbow:
There is a difference between illegal and unauthorized, however I did not mix them up when I commented. The keys on Humble and Groupees have been provided to them from GOG. I have no proof of this, but nothing anywhere, including GOG's blanket statement, leads me to believe otherwise.

Their statement came out in regards to one of the lesser dealers (greenman? gamersgate?) buying their preorder W3 keys from someone other than gog, from one of the massive - unauthorized and likely illegal - keysellers. GOG did not like that and shut it down.

Defender's Quest gog keys were available from humble before W3 came around. I forget which bundles at groupees had a gog key, but there were a few and were given out readily on the forums in giveaways. I know Robin Hood was one of the games - I was given one after the bundle.

Another authorized seller of W3 is Steam, of course, but they don't provide gog keys. Humble provides gog only, not steam.
Post edited January 29, 2016 by budejovice
I know with regards to "Blues" and the bundle keys, I recall one of them saying once that GoG required they were not given along side Steam keys of the same game. (Which I believe was then broken the following month)
Ok, if this was already posted I apologize

If you are an Amazon Prime member (not sure if US only), from now on if you pre-order any game for PC, Xbone or PS4, you will get 20% off automatically. However, this does not seem to work for digital downloads, you gotta get a hard copy. And as always, if the game comes down even lower before you buy, you get that price.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/1/12/10754962/amazon-prime-deal-pre-orders-new-releases
Post edited January 29, 2016 by Crewdroog
high rated
<span class="bold">Fireflower Games</span> has a Sci-Fi weekend sale

Several games at -75%, a few -80% and a few with lesser discounts.
skeletonbow: The only place to buy officially sanctioned GOG games is right here on GOG.com. GOG executives have stated this clearly in the past in interviews etc. Any other site out there selling GOG games is doing so illegitimately. They may or may not be breaking any laws in doing so, but they're not authorized by GOG to do so.
As others said, not exactly true. GOG is the only place to sell GOG Gift Codes, but other sites may be legally selling GOG bonus codes. GOG does provide developers/publishers with keys (though no idea what the process is) and the developers/publishers may distribute those codes as they see fit (kickstarter backers, sell from their homepage, put them in a retail box etc).
As always, when in doubt about the validity of a code, ask the developer/publisher if store X is authorized to sell their games.
JMich: As others said, not exactly true. GOG is the only place to sell GOG Gift Codes, but other sites may be legally selling GOG bonus codes. GOG does provide developers/publishers with keys (though no idea what the process is) and the developers/publishers may distribute those codes as they see fit (kickstarter backers, sell from their homepage, put them in a retail box etc).
As always, when in doubt about the validity of a code, ask the developer/publisher if store X is authorized to sell their games.
I'd like to see concrete proof of that somewhere up front and easily accessible rather than speculate or base it on other people's speculation but that's just me. By concrete proof, I mean either on the GOG website, or on the game publisher's website stating the arrangement. There are too many people with armchair opinions out there or who "know it's true" because they read it on some forum post by "some guy" etc.

I'll stick with authentic verifiable sources that don't require a week worth of sleuthing to find out. It's too much effort to go through and probably leads to a brick wall more often than not.
skeletonbow: I'll stick with authentic verifiable sources that don't require a week worth of sleuthing to find out. It's too much effort to go through and probably leads to a brick wall more often than not.
I thought larsiusprime had a post somewhere saying that you could get either a Steam or GOG key when buying DQ from their site, but can't find it in the GOG forum atm. Closest I can find is the following quote for DQ2.
Obviously, people on this forum would be interested in GOG keys. I can't guarantee GOG would let us distribute keys with preorder sales run through our own site, but if they'll let us, we'll do it.
I may have to check the archives of Level Up Labs to see if they had made the post I seem to recall.
JMich: I thought larsiusprime had a post somewhere saying that you could get either a Steam or GOG key when buying DQ from their site, but can't find it in the GOG forum atm. Closest I can find is the following quote for DQ2. I may have to check the archives of Level Up Labs to see if they had made the post I seem to recall.
It's always possible for GOG to build partnerships with other stores, or make special arrangements with publishers of course, but the statement they mentioned last year about games only being authorized can reasonably be taken to mean "as a default unless we have a specific deal with a 3rd party". So it would make sense for them to distribute keys to a publisher to hand out as promos or for their kickstarters or things like that, but I'd be surprised if the arrangement they make in those cases says "and you can sell them all through Humble bundle or off the back of a truck in Russia if you want." :)

I've seen some kickstarters promise GOG keys to backers of course, but I would find it odd to find the keys sent to the company in question being sold on GreenMan or other sites afterwards and GOG being ok with that.
Indiegala - Indie Reaction Bundle

$1.0:

- Putrefaction
- Potatoman Seeks the Troof
- Hills Of Glory 3D

$2.89 (before price increases):

- Defend Your Life
- Morphine
- Demons with Shotguns
- Miracle Fly
- Spirit of War
- GooCubelets: The Algoorithm
- Death Tractor
- No Turning Back: The Pixel Art Action-Adventure Roguelike
- Labyrinth Simulator
Enigma Bundle at Bundlestars

8 games for £1.79

1. Mystery Masters: Psycho train Deluxe
2. Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
3. House of 1,000 Doors: Family Secrets Collector’s Edition
4. House of 1,000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster Collector’s Edition
5. Nearwood – Collector’s Edition
6. Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome Collector’s Edition
7. Brink of Consciousness: The Lonely Hearts Murders
8. Space Legends: At the Edge of the Universe
Post edited January 29, 2016 by lialhfour
<span class="bold">Toby: The Secret Mine</span> is the new deal on IGS

Win, Mac,Linux / DRM-Free, Steam

PWYW, $1 for Steam.

No bonuses. (yet?)
JMich: I thought larsiusprime had a post somewhere saying that you could get either a Steam or GOG key when buying DQ from their site, but can't find it in the GOG forum atm. Closest I can find is the following quote for DQ2.
You definitely could get a GOG key.

That's why I'm here. You can thank Lars for my presence.