It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Room 2 - Steam - Steam Deck

It is similar to the other games of the franchise, to open boxes and cabinets, secret places. It needs a good story that fits the game, characters and so on. If you buy it very cheap is entertaining for about 6 hours.
Post edited July 11, 2023 by argamasa
How can you remember? I barely remember.
Resident Evil 3 (Xbox Series X)

I haven't played the original, so I can't compare it to this remake, but I had a lot of fun with it. It's a lot more action-heavy and over the top than the other classic REs. Almost like a Saints Row of the RE series. The nemesis will chase you at many parts through the game, and he is a great villain here. The puzzles are also very easy. The graphics are incredible. Raccoon City has never looked better.

I played on hardcore difficulty and finished it in 8 hours. It's not a very difficult game on this difficulty, and the game is very generous with ammo and healing items. I don't think everyone will be happy with the bigger focus on action, but I love the survival horror and action REs all the same.
Zelda Tears of the Kingdom. Great game and why Nintendo is one of the few companies that does a great job handling their major IPs.

Not my favorite Zelda but my favorite story in the franchise.
The Whisperer, short atmospheric nothing. Not sure what additional can one write about it...
Hi-Fi Rush, Jul 15 (Xbox Gamepass)-A really fun game that is very forgiving for crappy tonedeaf players with no sense of rhythm. It has a lot of charm and humor. The voice acting is good and the sound track was good but not very memorable. There also seems to be a lot of post game content if you like that kind of thing.

Full List
The Whisperer - 1/5

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention - I just assumed this was supposed to be a Gog freebie. Like, a free prelude to a bigger game. But, nope, they're normally charging money for this...

There's barely anything of value here. The graphics are passable, but bland. The story feels extremely under-cooked, the puzzles are arbitrary nonsense, and the game just sucks at communicating what things are interactive.

It's not worth playing for free, and certainly not worth paying money for.
Post edited July 17, 2023 by Austrobogulator
Austrobogulator: The Winterer - 1/5

I guess I wasn't paying enough attention - I just assumed this was supposed to be a Gog freebie. Like, a free prelude to a bigger game. But, nope, they're normally charging money for this...

There's barely anything of value here. The graphics are passable, but bland. The story feels extremely under-cooked, the puzzles are arbitrary nonsense, and the game just sucks at communicating what things are interactive.

What game is this? I don't see anything with this name on GOG.
Austrobogulator: The Winterer - 1/5

muddysneakers: What game is this? I don't see anything with this name on GOG.
lol, whoops, looks like the game froze my brain up. It's The Whisperer not the Winterer. Ha.
muddysneakers: What game is this? I don't see anything with this name on GOG.
Austrobogulator: lol, whoops, looks like the game froze my brain up. It's The Whisperer not the Winterer. Ha.
Ok that makes sense. Looks a bit like a Myst clone
The Bard's Tale IV- Director's Cut (XSX Game Pass)

Old School, grid and turn based, dungeon crawler. The graphics are actually really good and the music even better- lots of atmospheric Gaelic songs.

Combat is some of the best in genre, quite different to most turn-based systems in that each character does not get a turn and move to the next. Here it is an action point system for your entire team. You can just keep using the same character until they run out of abilities or swap characters to combine their abilities. Each character can only have four abilities readied at once. So, the combat is actually very tactical as a result of the above points. Most fights are easy to begin with, but the challenge definitely ramps up and requires you to balance your party and their abilities. The level system is also quite different- the skill trees are short, but you need to plan where to go on them carefully to make sure you you're building the abilities you like.

Exploration ends up being disappointing. There is plenty to explore off the path, but the time and effort often needed rarely ever pays off with anything useful. You will spend 15 minutes solving some obnoxious abstract puzzle and get 20 coins for your trouble or some weapon that was obsolete three days ago. I still had to explore fully, because I cannot help myself, but it was a waste of time on most occasions. Everything was hidden behind really repetitive puzzles that really get old.

Have I mentioned the puzzles? Well, they don't just hide secrets and bonus items. In this game they halt your path through the core story, again and again and again. They start off fun and interesting. Soon they became a drag. Then they become boring and tedious. By the end they become totally obnoxious and the game feels like one of those abstract puzzle games. I hate those games. It feels like there are more puzzles than combat. I wasn't expecting this type of gameplay, the type of puzzles I expect in these grid-based games are the old "find the switches on the wall to open the door types. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer the old teleporter mazes and spinners to the puzzles in this game. They are so bad that they would have totally ruined the game, if it wasn't for one thing: I played the Directors Cut, someone must have told the devs that they really hate those puzzles, because they made them all optional! Just go to the menu and select the option to allow skipping of shit puzzles. So, you have three options- spend way too much time figuring the puzzles out, save some time (maybe) by looking up guides or do the sane thing and skip the worst of it.

Even with the ability to skip them, the puzzles still soured the experience for me to a large extent. Everything else was either great or decent. The game could have been a classic though. As it is my favorite modern grid crawler is still Might & Magic X by a long shot.
Post edited July 18, 2023 by CMOT70
Slayers X: Terminal Aftermath: Vengance of the Slayer (XSX Game Pass)

Pretty sure that two colons in the same title isn't correct grammar. Then again, I'm pretty certain that Vengance is not correct spelling unless that is one of those "American English" things where they leave out some letters? On the other hand, it all fits in well with this game. It's a fun, over the top, modern retro shooter with silly one-liners. It sort of feels and looks like Duke Nukem 3D or any other Build Engine game from that era. Since it can be completed in less than 6 hours, it's worth playing for sure.
CMOT70: The Bard's Tale IV- Director's Cut (XSX Game Pass)

Old School, grid and turn based, dungeon crawler. The graphics are actually really good and the music even better- lots of atmospheric Gaelic songs.

Combat is some of the best in genre, quite different to most turn-based systems in that each character does not get a turn and move to the next. Here it is an action point system for your entire team. You can just keep using the same character until they run out of abilities or swap characters to combine their abilities. Each character can only have four abilities readied at once. So, the combat is actually very tactical as a result of the above points. Most fights are easy to begin with, but the challenge definitely ramps up and requires you to balance your party and their abilities. The level system is also quite different- the skill trees are short, but you need to plan where to go on them carefully to make sure you you're building the abilities you like.

Exploration ends up being disappointing. There is plenty to explore off the path, but the time and effort often needed rarely ever pays off with anything useful. You will spend 15 minutes solving some obnoxious abstract puzzle and get 20 coins for your trouble or some weapon that was obsolete three days ago. I still had to explore fully, because I cannot help myself, but it was a waste of time on most occasions. Everything was hidden behind really repetitive puzzles that really get old.

Have I mentioned the puzzles? Well, they don't just hide secrets and bonus items. In this game they halt your path through the core story, again and again and again. They start off fun and interesting. Soon they became a drag. Then they become boring and tedious. By the end they become totally obnoxious and the game feels like one of those abstract puzzle games. I hate those games. It feels like there are more puzzles than combat. I wasn't expecting this type of gameplay, the type of puzzles I expect in these grid-based games are the old "find the switches on the wall to open the door types. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd prefer the old teleporter mazes and spinners to the puzzles in this game. They are so bad that they would have totally ruined the game, if it wasn't for one thing: I played the Directors Cut, someone must have told the devs that they really hate those puzzles, because they made them all optional! Just go to the menu and select the option to allow skipping of shit puzzles. So, you have three options- spend way too much time figuring the puzzles out, save some time (maybe) by looking up guides or do the sane thing and skip the worst of it.

Even with the ability to skip them, the puzzles still soured the experience for me to a large extent. Everything else was either great or decent. The game could have been a classic though. As it is my favorite modern grid crawler is still Might & Magic X by a long shot.
Bard's Tale IV was the first game I played to completion after joining GOG.com a few years back. As someone who grew up playing the original trilogy when they were released, finding GOG as a place to renew my decades long sabbatical from computer games with the ability to revisit the classics from my youth as well as new installments of those classics hooked me immediately.

I found Bard's Tale IV to feel like the originals while looking like something modern. I know many wouldn't still call this game's graphics completely modern even a few years ago, but when your all time favorite game was Ultima II, it's definitely light years ahead. The only complaint I had with the game was the puzzles being a bit excessive, I agree with your points on them. I didn't mind them as much as you apparently did, but there were definitely times when I was like, ok it's getting a little overboard on these. Otherwise I found it to be a highly entertaining game, especially given my history with the originals, and I'm a little sad Bard's Tale V hasn't followed. I guess someday it could, but in the meantime, I'd recommend the game to anyone who likes CRPGs and hasn't yet given it a try.
Carmageddon - Android version

Yet another playthrough of this game, probably 3rd on Android. It's still an amazing remaster of the original game, one I wish had come back to PC. It's also starting to show its age, with no support for physical controllers and a tendency to crash the cell phone's screen driver every so often*, though Android 13 did warn me that the game was built for an older Android version.

* It's a Moto G73, and I'm almost sure it's a problem with it's graphic drivers, more than anything. The screen becomes a weird mess of pixels, similar to an old TV tuned to a blank channel (though with colors mixed in the middle), Even weirder, is that it keeps responsive, so I'm able to quit the game by pressing the right zones on the screen, though recovering usually requires a full restart of the cell phone (I did have it magically recover by itself once).
Ringlorn Saga.

Ringlorn Saga is a nice little game that actually feels like an old game of its type, complete with its mixture of open world and linear progression, but with the need to get more powerful before you can actually start the mandatory part of the game. There's enough to do that, on a first playthrough, it isn't necessary to spend that much time just earning XP. The one downside is that the game is really short. It is sometimes nice to have a short game to play, but the game is short enough that they could make the sequel twice as long and it would still feel like a short game.

(No relation to the SaGa series, though the developer expressed interest in making a SaGa-esque game on some forum, and their recent release Demon Lord Reincarnation has SaGa-like character growth.)