It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

mchack: Mafia 2
wow! what a great game.
F4LL0UT: Heh, funny. I wasn't a big fan of Mafia 2. I don't remember my problems with the game exactly but from what I recall the characters weren't nowhere as interesting or charismatic as the ones in the first game, I didn't like the cover based shooting with replenishing health and it had rage quit moments of its own. I vividly remember one mission where you have to get to some guy's house and warn him of an impending home invasion - I always arrived like one or two seconds late. Now imagine my frustration when I finally did it and discovered that, in the cutscene that follows this sequence, it turns out that nobody's there yet. And that weird "almost sandbox but not really" format, that I could just barely accept in Mafia 1, was utterly outdated at that point.

But well, it had its moments. Anyway, glad you liked it.
hehe, funny that. Well There is no point in arguing about matters of taste, I guess but well, I'll have to disagree completely ;) Having played them directly after each other, I found the characters way more charismatic in mafia 2 (paulie can't compete with joe for instance, and the others like that fat union chief, your mom calling, marty, leo, henry and his death, coming home from war etc, it was a much more immersive expierence I felt) and the last part I want to disagree with aswell. I actually quit playing saints row 4 and mad max and metal gear solid V after investing more time than it took to finish mafia 2 all because I got bored so much from all this real open world but no story happening. just collect stuff do the same tasks over and over. real open world is often such a bore whereas with mafia 2 you always knew what to do next and the story kept advancing. oh well taste, I guess.
Still I can't recommend it enough.
Quake 2 +The Reckoning and Ground Zero expansions

Unlike Quake 1, this is the first time I played this one. It is not as good as its prequel. It doesn't feel so visceral and adrenalinic (?) as Q1, looks more bland IMO and weapons were not too interesting.
Yet it is good shooter with interesting level design.
Reckoning is more of the same but not with much innovation but Ground Zero I didn't like as most of new enemies and overall enemy placement was annoying, new weapons were not fun to use and the game overdid the difficulty by mostly unfair means.

Double Dragon Trilogy

Got it free last here on GOG and now we decided to give it a try in co-op and we played through all 3 of them.
I have to say they aged very badly and are not much fun to play. There is almost no reason to play 1, as 2 is basically the same game but improved in almost all aspects.
It stil ldoesn't make it good with some dumb fight features and appaling terrain obstacles.
3 then is something different but it looks weird, sound was quite garbled on my PC and the game og tway too hard in the second half to force arcade players to spend as much as possible. If it wasn't for unlimited continues in this one, I am not sure we would ever finish it.
The shop mechanics of 3 were interesting change but also quite weird and hard to understand.
Best feature of these games was how short they actually are (1-2 hours for each I would say). Thanks to it we managed to beat them and throw them away instead of just throwing them away without beating.

Listo completo.
I finished these games:
Darksiders Warmastered Edtion
Escape Goat
Mini Metro
Mafia II

And no more games, because I have experienced a lot of problems with my PC.
Post edited May 29, 2018 by Not_you
Vitek: Quake 2 +The Reckoning and Ground Zero expansions
When I first played Q2 (3dfx ftw!) I was also a bit disappointed. Esp. the rocket launcher is almost useless compared to Q1... The railgun is fun though. And it's really much slower than Q1. My biggest complaint always was that it was too easy even on hard (I completed Q1 on Nightmare difficulty).

Now looking back at it with 20 years of distance and re-playing is several times every few years... I kind of come to like it better. It has a nice rhythm to it (shotgun synced with the music!) and esp. in comparison to modern day shooters the level design is stellar...
Socratatus: Finished Dying Light and its expansions after about 4 months. That game is worth more than they charged and being able to play it on GOG no strings attached has made this one of the best games I`ve played in about a decade...

That`s 10 years to you younger ones.
muddysneakers: This is one of the reasons I like this thread. Hearing about new games I might like.
I never expected much at first, but once it gets going, it`s amazing, especially if you explore and do the sidequests. It does every mechanic really well from getting stuff to using weapons, to climbing, running, jumping on buildings - and the creatures you face are very well realised. I like using all weapons but one of my favourites must be the bow.

Also the climbing stuff seemed like it would be a pain at first, but becomes incredibly intuitive- Better done than any 1st person game I`ve ever seen and without treating you like it thinks you`re stupid. I even got rid of most of the aids after a while just to make it more immersive! You can almost live the game, but be careful at night. It can also be creepy in certain areas as you`d expect from the theme. It also has a few nods to other games/movies. Make sure you set your controller or keys right first. :)

p.s. The Human NPC AI can be a little silly though sometimes.
Post edited May 29, 2018 by Socratatus
Open Sorcery

Wow, never expected a text based game to be so engrossing. Will definitely play this one a few more times to explore other possibilities that I didn't touch on my first play-through. There are quite a few, going by the achievements list (which I actually wish I hadn't read since it's spoilery).
Turok. I had beaten this when it originally came out on the N64 but this is the version sold on GOG. It was pretty good on the N64 - it probably holds up as an FPS better than Goldeneye, I would say - but on the whole I would say this Night Dive version is a definite improvement thanks to mouse and keyboard control and sharper graphics. It's also nice that the fog has been cut out, although from my recollection of the N64 version this has the effect of making the game easier because without the fog you can see the enemies much earlier than you could before and can usually snipe them long before they'll react to you. In the original game you would hear the pounding of their feet and be surprised when they burst out of the fog at you because you couldn't see beyond 30 feet or so.

Just in terms of it as a game, it's still pretty good. I'd say it's fine as a second-tier FPS or so, not a major classic of the genre but something worth playing if you've got an itch for a fast-moving game with some cool weapons. I've always liked the Turok comics because it's an Indian fighting cyborg dinosaurs and stuff with his bow and arrow. (I don't know why Hollywood hasn't made a movie out of it yet since it seems like that would be potentially more fun than yet another Jurassic Park sequel that does not feature a heavily armed Indian slaying the dinosaurs.) What I'm not crazy about is the need to explore the levels so meticulously to find the keys to the later levels along with the chronoscepter pieces hidden on every level, especially since some of the maps like the catacombs can be quite extensive and confusing and the game loves to respawn enemies.
toxicTom: When I first played Q2 (3dfx ftw!) I was also a bit disappointed. Esp. the rocket launcher is almost useless compared to Q1... The railgun is fun though. And it's really much slower than Q1. My biggest complaint always was that it was too easy even on hard (I completed Q1 on Nightmare difficulty).

Now looking back at it with 20 years of distance and re-playing is several times every few years... I kind of come to like it better. It has a nice rhythm to it (shotgun synced with the music!) and esp. in comparison to modern day shooters the level design is stellar...
I agree on almost all accounts. The level desing is really good and it is best part of the game by far.
Rocket launcher is silly thing that is able to send rocket in the way that it passes between enemy fingers and does nothing.
All the while railgun pack significant punch and its hitboxes are quite forgiving. But others are quite forgettable too. Maybe Hyperblaster but only because it has high damage useful, not beacuse it is memorable and fun to use. :-)
I personally don't think there is anything wrong with the game and I had my fun but I would say it is much less memorable than Quake 1 and thus it's only good shooter but nothing more.
Undertale

I don't want to say much, because I don't want to spoil anything, but I think the game is overhyped. Some things are really good (e.g. music) or at least interesting (e.g. combat), but many other things are average at best (e.g. graphics, story).

I got the neutral ending. I'm pretty sure I know what to do to get the good one, but honestly I don't feel like replaying six hours just to see another ending.

Complete list of finished games in 2018
Atom Zombie Smasher (2011) (Linux)

One of that strange games sitting quietly in my backlog. I've started it just to put it on "dropped" shelf and forget about it, but it suprisingly appeared to be quite interesting game. It's time-based puzzle requiring no reflex at all.

From the big picture you have game, which reminds me the famous board game called "Risk" - with map divided into teritorries and the purpose of the game is to catch more of them then your opponent. The more territories you've got, the more resources you have. You know, just like Europa Universalis, but much simpler. Oh, and in this game you're fighting spreading zombie plague.

The actual gameplay starts when you decide which area you want to fight for in a particular round. You plan carefully evacuation, where to place your units, where to place evacuation point, barricades, mines etc. Once the game is started, you manage the situation and you can make some small corrections, but the most important decisions are already made during planning phase. It makes the game much more thinking/puzzle genre than action.

I've finished default campaign and two more shorter campaigns defined by me. The map is always the same, but plague is spreading differently and game is very replayable. And it's quite hard. It's relatively easy to win shorter campaings, but with time running and zombie plague spreading it starts to be tricky. The longer the campaign the harder is to stop that damn zombies.

List of all games completed in 2018.
Finished Transistor. Like other games from the same developer (Bastion, Pyre), art and music are great. Gameplay is good while a bit repetitive. The story was a bit hard to understand.

Full list here.
Detroit: Become Human

What a great game, can't say, well anything regarding the story, because pretty much everything could be considered a spoiler. I enjoyed every second. I'm normally not the syntimental type, but every character really grew on me. :)
Detroit was an impulse buy, but I'm more than happy to have gotten the game. :D
PaterAlf: Undertale

I got the neutral ending. I'm pretty sure I know what to do to get the good one, but honestly I don't feel like replaying six hours just to see another ending.
Is the 6 hours another complete replay or ending decision -> end?
I finished Letter Quest: Remixed a couple months ago, Maybe it's meant for a younger demographic because it wasn't very hard to beat.
Dr_Adder: I finished Letter Quest: Remixed a couple months ago, Maybe it's meant for a younger demographic because it wasn't very hard to beat.
I constantly find games meant for a younger demographic hard. To endure...