It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

2018 Summary Post

Top 3 Games Played- Radiant Historia, Tales From The Borderlands, Dead Space

Worst 3 Games Played-Blackguards and Untold Legends DLC, Deadly Premonition, Black

Biggest Surprise (in a good way)-Back To The Future The Game

Best Sequel Played-Shadowrun Dragonfall with Dreamfall: The Longest Journey close behind

Worst Sequel Played-Fallout Tactics

Beloved Classics That I Was Only Meh On-Grim Fandango and Earthbound

Full List
Post edited January 01, 2019 by muddysneakers
My Top 5 Games Finished in 2018:

1. Subnautica
2. Night in the Woods
3. West of Loathing
4. Open Sorcery
5. Slime Rancher
Post edited January 01, 2019 by Leroux
My 2018 favorites:
- Oxenfree
- SOMA
- Never Alone
- Wolfenstein The Old Blood
- Tales from the Borderlands
- TSIOQUE
- Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- DmC: Devil May Cry
I'll play along. Favorites of the past year (beaten for the first time; in no particular order):

Cuphead
Doom 64 EX
Anachronox
Axiom Verge
Thimbleweed Park
Super Mario Galaxy
Soul Blazer
Pitfall II
South Park: The Fractured but Whole
The Terminator (Sega CD)
The last game I beat:

Runner3 - Nintendo Switch. 1/5. I hated it. Seriously, eff this game. It became a chore and i stopped caring about getting 100 gold bars and just beating the damn thing so I could say I did. It took Runner2 and made everything worse. I don't remember so many vehicles in Runner2 and so many damn sidequests and things to collect. It's called Runner not Flyer or Driver. The controls for the vehicles were the worst. The only things I liked were the level of background polish and music, that's what kept me going. I was 100%-ing everything in World 1 and was burnt out so decided to just beat the damn thing for Worlds 2-3.

Just play Runner2 instead, it's way more fun.
CMOT70: Biggest disappointment or failed to live up expectations:

Zelda Breath of the Wild, edged out Hellblade because I actually finished Hellblade but not Zelda.
What did you not like about it? I might be buying a Switch in a few days, and Zelda is one of the games selling the console for me.
My 2018 top 5 of the games I finished:

Tyranny - despite some hiccups it is a very good RPG
Stories: Path of Destinies (choose your own adventurey thing with a twist)
Heroes of a Broken Land (RPG)
Glass Masquerade (puzzle)
Overfall (sandbox rogueish rpgish thing)
CMOT70: Biggest disappointment or failed to live up expectations:

Zelda Breath of the Wild, edged out Hellblade because I actually finished Hellblade but not Zelda.
Random_Coffee: What did you not like about it? I might be buying a Switch in a few days, and Zelda is one of the games selling the console for me.
The main thing I hated was the overdone weapon wear. But that is a particular pet annoyance of mine, so if you're okay with that then it should be fine. But seriously, combined with the spawn rate of enemies, I found myself going through like 5 weapons in a single huge fight and would have to look for tree branches as weapons.
Other than that I just never got into the open world due to a seeming lack of any reward...most quests give you nothing, or if you're lucky a crappy weapon that lasts for 10 hits before breaking. I can grind away in most RPG's happily because, at least there is progression and reward- however slight. But I gave up on Zelda after 20 hours. If you get a Switch though, you should try it, most people love it.

I had much more fun with Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Post edited January 06, 2019 by CMOT70
Random_Coffee: What did you not like about it? I might be buying a Switch in a few days, and Zelda is one of the games selling the console for me.
CMOT70: The main thing I hated was the overdone weapon wear. But that is a particular pet annoyance of mine, so if you're okay with that then it should be fine. But seriously, combined with the spawn rate of enemies, I found myself going through like 5 weapons in a single huge fight and would have to look for tree branches as weapons.
Other than that I just never got into the open world due to a seeming lack of any reward...most quests give you nothing, or if you're lucky a crappy weapon that lasts for 10 hits before breaking. I can grind away in most RPG's happily because, at least there is progression and reward- however slight. But I gave up on Zelda after 20 hours. If you get a Switch though, you should try it, most people love it.

I had much more fun with Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
Sounds very much like the annoyance I had with Dead Island and Dying Light. Weapons seemed to break after 2-3 zombies, quickly filling up the inventory with garbage. I eventually just dropkicked everything, but tree branches doesn't sound as satisfying. I will definitely give it a try if I do get a Switch though. I haven't played a Zelda since Wind Waker, so it will be fun to play again. My friends have been hyping the Switch up quite a lot lately. Xenoblade is only on Wii U, isn't it?
Random_Coffee: Xenoblade is only on Wii U, isn't it?
Xenoblade Chronicles 1- Wii
Xenoblade Chronicles X- WiiU
Xenoblade Chronicles 2- Switch

All stand alone stories, so no need to play in order or anything. Very long (100 hour plus) JRPG's.
In my head I wrote extensive reviews of every game I finished this year but sadly my fingers are very lazy, so here's my 2018 in summary.

Linux native unless noted

* Dosbox
+ Windows/Proton
# Android

SOMA - nice story shame about the gameplay
Borderlands: The Pre-sequel - Much more boring than bordersland 2 i finished late 2017
Dying Light - excellent advancement on dead island games with more fluid movement
*Menzoberranzan - as a d&d guy great despite the very messy 90s 3d graphics, will try grid based movement in the next one
Dying Light: The Following - just for a car, a bit different but all those zombies milling around in fields looked ridiculous
*Anvil of Dawn - Got my grid on after a time, enjoyed it, a variety of different maps and just a little freedom over when to do what
Pillars of Eternity - took 2 years and about 6 tries to finish this boring game with noisy and annoying combat
Vaporum - Modern gridder, polished and enjoyable but like grimrocdks not as expansive as some of the older gridders
Deux Ex: Mankind Divided - messy buggy linux version, pretends to be open world but is less so
#Trainyard - I think I reattached about 3 years after doing this, enjoyed finishing less so finding another equal sized set of expert levels
+Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Didn't mean to play but wanted to test Steam Proton on a windows game, more primitive but way less buggy than MD
*Wizardry 6 - Took a while to get started because of the complex classes and I still stuffed up chars a bit, made good use of surprisingly smalls maps. Got me now playing Wizardry 7
+Crysis 2 - tedious railroad of set plays
last game finished this year, Agents of Mayhem. holy hell do i hate that game. made me appreciate saints row iv.
ion fury

It was very good, but unfortunately the game's best part is the first couple of levels, which takes placed in an awesome cyberpunk city. The majority of what follows is one underground location after the other and I'll be honest, these quickly started to tire me out. Not exclusively however, as even in between the slew of underground tunnels, research and military facilities, there are some truly great above-ground levels. Chief of which is an awesome series of levels in a skyscraper, as you make your way to the top for one of the bossfights.

The secrets in the game are insane. When I really tried to hunt them all down I managed to find about 80% of them, whereas only keeping my eyes open while traversing the level would maybe net me 50% of them if I was lucky. Don't tire yourself down hunting down all of them. That's what I did for the first half of the game, and I eventually realized that it was sucking the fun out of the game. Instead I found I was completely content only trying to hunt down the secrets I was aware of, e.g. some room I could peer into but had to figure out how to access. That would then turn out to be one of the secrets, and it was always very gratifying when I figured it out.

Highly recommend for any fan of the build engine games.
Matewis:
Psst! It is 2019 now.... ;-)
Matewis:
Themken: Psst! It is 2019 now.... ;-)
What!? Nobody told me!!

Know what I did? I googled 'gog games finished' and just took the top link, assuming it would be the right one XD