It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

lukaszthegreat: Questions:

Any issues running it on modern systems (what windows are you using)?
Ghorpm: Note at all. Windows 7. It's a DOSBox title
Why didn't you use the modern native Linux/Windows binaries M-HT made via static recompilation and patched so often?
They support widescreen, HD 3D scenes and don't need DosBox.
I got him to make the Desktop ports (was originally only made for ARM Linux) for you guys when it reached GOG:
https://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/albion.64477/page-6#post-1395095
By now they also support the German and French version with the respective keyboard/character specialties.

I've posted about that in the release thread and the subforum several times, still people seem to miss it.

PS: Please also consider donating to the guy.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by Klumpen0815
DaCostaBR: How did you beat the game without beating the Ur-Dragon first? Doesn't he drop a dozen wakestone shards that you need to fight the Seneschal?
All the different bosses and even some comparably minor monsters in the Everfall drop wakestones. I had explored multiple levels in the Everfall, doing like ten boss encounters in the process, and had collected the 20 wakestones quite quickly, despite not vising all the levels and never getting past the locked gates (still have no idea how you open those). What's stupid, I intentionally skipped the road to the Ur-Dragon because I assumed one should do that one AFTER collecting the twenty wakestones. By the time I handed them over and got informed about a point of no return I had totally forgotten about the Ur-Dragon's level in the Everfall and thus accidentally finished the game. And I was pretty sure that even after completing the story in its entirety one would still be able to fight the Ur-Dragon without starting the story all over. :P

DaCostaBR: I actually really like how the game handles romance. You get points with characters by giving gifts and talking to them, and virtually any random NPC you find in the game could become your romantic interest.
Well, only after the love interest was already chosen I even figured out how gifting items works, plus somehow the Dragonforged never gave me that item that instantly maxes out affinity with the character you give it to. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Duke's wife should have been my love interest but I guess she couldn't be the love interest since she left Gransys after doing her quest line. Sigh. Anyway, I guess I'll try to make Madeleine my love interest during the next playthrough because she is cute and has balls. I like women with balls... also I wouldn't mind having a good shop at home. Valmiro or whatever he's called was just a nuisance and I would have chopped his head off for moving into my place if it had only been possible.

DaCostaBR: In a way it can be amazingly inept, since for a lot of people the character they talked to the most was the innkeeper that changes your classes, and they didn't take measures to lower affinity, so in the New Game+ when he moves in with the Arisen and opens up a shop the player becomes incapable of changing to advanced classes on that save ever again.
I thought the love interest is reset when you start the story over with the existing character? That's what some comments on the Dragon's Dogma Wiki suggested. Also the Wiki stated that if an NPC moves into your place they still offer all the options as before? (like selling items, changing vocations etc.?).

DaCostaBR: On the other, Dark Arisen made massive changes to the base game, chief among them the Eternal Ferrystone.
The problem is that on console you only get that one if you transfer a saved game from the base game to Dark Arisen. Since I created a fresh character on Dark Arisen I sadly never got the Eternal Ferrystone. However, first off: I generally don't like fast travel much and only do it when I'm REALLY fed-up with travelling so I used fast-travel like maybe five times over the course of the game. Secondly in Dark Arisen ferrystones are dirtcheap, like 1000 gold pieces so by the time I finished the game I could have bought hundreds of them if I really wanted to.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by F4LL0UT
F4LL0UT: All the different bosses and even some comparably minor monsters in the Everfall drop wakestones. I had explored multiple levels in the Everfall, doing like ten boss encounters in the process, and had collected the 20 wakestones quite quickly, despite not vising all the levels and never getting past the locked gates (still have no idea how you open those). What's stupid, I intentionally skipped the road to the Ur-Dragon because I assumed one should do that one AFTER collecting the twenty wakestones. By the time I handed them over and got informed about a point of no return I had totally forgotten about the Ur-Dragon's level in the Everfall and thus accidentally finished the game. And I was pretty sure that even after completing the story in its entirety one would still be able to fight the Ur-Dragon without starting the story all over. :P
I think during that time I was selling every wakestone I got. I was aiming to kill the Ur-Dragon, and fight through Bitterblack Isle, so I was trying to upgrade everything to maximum, and at that point in the game it meant 150.000G a pop.

F4LL0UT: Well, only after the love interest was already chosen I even figured out how gifting items works, plus somehow the Dragonforged never gave me that item that instantly maxes out affinity with the character you give it to. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Duke's wife should have been my love interest but I guess she couldn't be the love interest since she left Gransys after doing her quest line. Sigh. Anyway, I guess I'll try to make Madeleine my love interest during the next playthrough because she is cute and has balls. I like women with balls... also I wouldn't mind having a good shop at home. Valmiro or whatever he's called was just a nuisance and I would have chopped his head off for moving into my place if it had only been possible.
If more than one character has max affinity with you the one that gets kidnapped at the end is the last one you talked to.

I wouldn't worry too much about that item (which is a Dark Arisen addition by the way, and they also made vendors harder to gain affinity with in that version). All you need to do is: if you talk to an NPC and their cheeks go all rosy, there's a glow behind them and you hear a little jingle, and you don't want to romance them, then pull your weapon in front of them. Do that 5 or 10 times and the affinity will plummet.

C'mon, Mercedes has twice as many balls as Madeleine and is twice as cute.

F4LL0UT: I thought the love interest is reset when you start the story over with the existing character? That's what some comments on the Dragon's Dogma Wiki suggested. Also the Wiki stated that if an NPC moves into your place they still offer all the options as before? (like selling items, changing vocations etc.?).
The wiki says I was wrong. I only played the game twice, the original on console and Dark Arisen on PC, and never tried New Game+ so I didn't have too much first hand experience with the love interests. Apparently the problem is just between the beloved being kidnapped and you defeating the Dragon that the services are naturally suspended, afterward it goes back to normal duties.

F4LL0UT: The problem is that on console you only get that one if you transfer a saved game from the base game to Dark Arisen. Since I created a fresh character on Dark Arisen I sadly never got the Eternal Ferrystone. However, first off: I generally don't like fast travel much and only do it when I'm REALLY fed-up with travelling so I used fast-travel like maybe five times over the course of the game. Secondly in Dark Arisen ferrystones are dirtcheap, like 1000 gold pieces so by the time I finished the game I could have bought hundreds of them if I really wanted to.
I figured you were talking about the PC version given the forum we're in. You might have gotten a bit more of the taste of the original then.

In the original they were like 20.000G. I don't think I ever used one in the whole game.

Talking to you has made me want to replay the game. I don't have the hard drive space, but I think as soon as I finish one or two other games I'll go back to this one.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by DaCostaBR
Ghorpm: Note at all. Windows 7. It's a DOSBox title
Klumpen0815: Why didn't you use the modern native Linux/Windows binaries M-HT made via static recompilation and patched so often?
They support widescreen, HD 3D scenes and don't need DosBox.
I got him to make the Desktop ports (was originally only made for ARM Linux) for you guys when it reached GOG:
https://www.pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/albion.64477/page-6#post-1395095
By now they also support the German and French version with the respective keyboard/character specialties.

I've posted about that in the release thread and the subforum several times, still people seem to miss it.

PS: Please also consider donating to the guy.
Yeah, I wasn't aware of that. I may check it in my future pkaythroughs as I intend to play the game again soon and see if various choices change the game meaningfully. From what I've seen I guess it will cause only some minor changes but I still want to try it.
Dead Island. I must say, I enjoyed the game much more this time around. I liked it the first time, but for whatever reason, I was fed up with it by the time I reached the end. Not so, this time. It was as repetitive as I remember it, but that didn't bother me. I just had a lot of fun.

I also played the Ryder White DLC to completion for the first time. It is a bit more difficult than the base game, especially in the city. The Infected (the weak but fast enemies) are spawned periodically to hassle you, which can be frustrating. I didn't notice this as much in the prison area, but it was no easier. The enemies were just packed in greater numbers. Plot-wise, however, it is leaps and bounds greater than the base game, in which the plot was serviceable at best. It's a lot more personal in this DLC, and it gives the player a whole new perspective on the main game's plot.

Not the best DLC I've ever played, but neither is it the worst.
Plants vs Zombies
Impulse buy, but luckily I got a lot of time out of it. The zombies, and especially plants come in a satisfyingly large variety and I like is how almost every single level unlocks a new plant, so the main campaign doesn't feel repetitive at any point. When you've finished the campaign you can replay it as well, but with all the plants you've unlocked at your disposal. And apart from the campaign there is also a ton of scenario-type levels to complete.
The game also has a $ currency system, but what's great about is that you can only earn it ingame. That is, you earn $ at a decent rate which enables you to realistically buy everything in the store. A very good way to earn money is to plant bought/won plants in your 'zen garden' where you can tend to them in between levels. Once they've grown you can keep them to generate a slow stream of coins, or you can sell them for a large amount depending on the kind of plant and how mature it is.
Dracula 3: The path of the dragon
With out a doubt the best one of the first three Dracula games. Graphics, animations, voice acing, puzzles, length of the game, challenge, story and characters; everything is of noticeably better quality than in the first two games.
Nonetheless I have a few gripes with it:
1 – why is it considered to be a part of the series?
As far as I can tell there isn't much to link it to the previous games. Even Dracula seems to be different.
2 – Many puzzles feel like busywork.
They're not bad puzzles by any means, but they feel like homework rather than fun. Blood analysis, calculating mathematical sequences, examining artwork and looking for differences etc. They feel more scientific and that is just not the type of puzzles that I like. They also tend to be obscure, badly presented, contrived or poorly explained and some don't seem to have any relevance to the story.
3 – The ending.
At first I thought I got a bad ending, but I wasn't able to find any other endings on-line or in walkthroughs. I won't spoil it, but I think it's one of the worst endings I got in a long time; it makes the game look pointless.

Overall:
Objectively the best of the three, but I still prefer the second one. It was just more fun to me.
8/10
Lord of the Clans (WinXP)

It's good! I liked the style and how it did fit into the whole lore without being too grim yet not childish.
Obviously it was nearly done since there are few things missing, so why wasn't it finished and sold?!

7/10 even in this state
---
Star Wars: Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight (WinXP)

The remastered patch didn't work for me, seems to be made for 64bit systems, I was able to play the usual D3D mode in 1980x1080 res with a small ddraw patch against the massive gfx glitch though.
For some reason the framerate was quite low.
Well, it wasn't bad but I didn't like the overall map design and some of the gameplay elements.
I still haven't understood how one gets the force stars assigned which you can then invest into certain powers between levels. Some times I got some, often I didn't and have no idea why.
The second to last bass was an extremely annoying dual wielding bunny hopper, the final boss was okay.
Overall I liked Dark Forces 1 more in spite of the terrible controls and badly aged graphics.

5/10
---
Lifeless Planet - Premier Edition (Linux)
or "Sir Walk-a-lot and the green-thumbed lady"

Well, the name is kinda telling, the design is indeed quite lifeless but since it's a story about loss it kinda fits.
It's a small indie game that plays and looks like some Unreal Tournament mod with huge mostly empty maps telling a story while walking for a few hours with some tedious platforming with tank controls and near to no puzzles.
Since it advertises support for all kinds of VR equipment, it seems to be designed as a VR experience and may work relatively well with it although the third person perspective can't be turned off and is probably necessary due to the platforming.
If you look for something relaxing that can be finished in a day or something you can play in VR on any OS, this may be something for you, others may be bored to death.
What it could use are proper options for the graphics effects but since performance was very good due to the mostly empty maps it wasn't a big issue.

6/10
Played and finished in this order ( * = replayed) :

Virginia 3/10
Liked the visuals and the story, but then the last ~15 minutes happened .... without the plain bad ending I would rate 7/10

Dark Souls 2* 9/10
Still my favorite Dark Souls.

Dark Souls 3 4/10
imho DS3 is by far the worst of the series! I doubt I'll ever replay it ...

Torment: Tides of Numenera 10/10
Oh boy, I can't think of anything that I didn't like in this game. Torment gets a lot of hate on the steam forums, but to me it is absolutely amazing.

The Dwarves 8/10
Nice Story, huge world, great visuals, fights can be challenging. Awesome game!

Baldur's Gate: EE* 6/10
I don't like Imoen and Minsc. Also the story isn't that great. But somehow I keep replaying this on a regular basis.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear 8/10
Please don't kill me for this: but I think the writing of Dragonspear is superior to that of BG1 and BG2 >_<
It just seems more mature to me and more original. I guess a lot of the SJW-crap has been cut out, because I didn't stumble upon any of it.

Night in the Woods 8/10
Amazing game, but I don't like the ending again .....
(SPOILER !!! ending was almost exactly the same as in "Hot Fuzz" SPOILER!!!!)
I guess I am going to replay this in the near future, but I don't think that this game offers more replayability than maybe 2 times.

Baldur's Gate 2* 8/10
Lovely setting, Imoen isn't annoying any more and the story is superior to BG1s story. Throne of Bhaal is also pretty neat.

Dear Esther* and Dear Esther: Landmark Edition both 10/10
Simply put: one of my all time favorites and it is even more polished in the Landmark Edition.

Blackwood Crossing 10/10
Beautiful visuals and very nice and touching story. I am a sucker for sad games/films/books, so this one is just perfect to me. Already replayed it 2 times.

Little Nighmares 2/10
Oh my god, I almost wish that I didn't preorder this game. "Almost" because I got "Inside" with it. Little Nightmares was more of a one-and-a-half-hour technical demo than an actual game to me. Also zero replayability. 2 out of 10 points for the art style and atmosphere.

Inside 7/10
I enjoyed this game a lot and I love the dystopian style and setting. Very innovative and original game!

Jade Empire 5/10
Nice but somewhat stretched and anticlimatic story and a horrible fighting system. Setting and soundtrack are amazing.

And I will probably finish "Shadowrun - Hong Kong" today or tomorrow. Atm it's a 8/10.
Post edited May 30, 2017 by springtoiffel
Dracula 4: Shadow of the dragon
Incredibly short(four hours?) and too easy. It ends on a cliffhanger when the story starts to become interesting. I don't have
any more to say about this one unfortunately. After the first three games, this is just disappointing.
6/10
Post edited May 30, 2017 by benmar
springtoiffel: Baldur's Gate: EE* 6/10
I don't like Imoen and Minsc. Also the story isn't that great. But somehow I keep replaying this on a regular basis.
I was never a fan of Minsc either, which is blasphemy according to most fans of BG. But I do like Imoen. And... weirdly enough I like BG1 better than 2, even though I agree its story is far weaker. Probably due to the fact I enjoy the lower level play more than high level.

*edit* Didn't really like the new companions in the EE though, so I went back to original BG and BG2 with 'trilogy' and other mods.
Post edited May 30, 2017 by GR00T
Finished <span class="bold">Costume Quest 2</span> a few hours ago. It's not quite as good as the first one but i enjoyed playing it.
GR00T: I was never a fan of Minsc either, which is blasphemy according to most fans of BG. But I do like Imoen. And... weirdly enough I like BG1 better than 2, even though I agree its story is far weaker. Probably due to the fact I enjoy the lower level play more than high level.

*edit* Didn't really like the new companions in the EE though, so I went back to original BG and BG2 with 'trilogy' and other mods.
That's funny, I also like BG1 better than BG2! And I don't even know why.
Objectively, BG2 is superior in every possible way and the sort of egyptian(lacking a better word) setting was way more creative than BG1s standard fantasy setting; but somehow BG1 is more likeable to me.
And I prefer the orginal games to the EEs, too! I just played the EE so I could transfer my character into Dragonspear :D
Cayne

Great story & atmosphere... though I wish the world and objects in it were a little more interactive. Definitely not as bad as Telltale's turn-based cartoons - I just wish it was a bit more like the Lucasarts and Sierra adventures of the 90s. (same thing with Stasis)
Metroid Prime. This is certainly a good game and quite a triumph in terms of translating Metroid to a 3D/FPS framework, but as much as I appreciated it, it mostly reinforced in my mind that it's a series/genre that works best in 2D. I ended up with 80 percent completion, so it looks like I got a good ending but not the one that shows a sequel hook.

The controls took some getting used to because it's not a traditional FPS but instead you do best to lock on to enemies, almost like the Z-targeting in the 3D Zelda games, but every weapon and skill is just a button or joystick press away. The platforming works pretty well for a first person game - sometimes I misjudged a leap, but not as often as usually happens in such games, and aside from a difficulty spike that happens in the first run through the Phazon Mines (I got so irritated by the spacing of the save points there that I put the game away for like a year), the challenge is pretty fair.

The game is quite stunning to look at. Colorful environments, Predator-like visual filters, and neat little touches like steam fogging your visor and lighting effects sometimes allowing you to see your reflection inside the helmet. It's definitely one of the best-looking games of its console generation.

What the game is really missing from the classic Metroids is the screw attack. Not just because it's a cool attack that makes you feel powerful, but when you get it in the classic game it means you can mostly charge through the levels and literally run through most enemies in your path. This is big because it takes a lot of the sting out of backtracking and, man, was I weary of going back to some of these levels by the end of this game. I guess I could have bypassed some of the enemies, and in many cases I did, but some of the corridors are narrow enough that I felt like I was better off killing those respawning enemies yet again. And there's a good deal of backtracking because after you've killed most of the bosses, you have to run all over the map again to get these 12 artifacts that will open the path to the ending and it really feels like padding.