It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Couple of games from the last month I managed to beat

03-14-15 - All Zombies Must Die!
This was kind of surprise. A generic zombie game that turned out to be decent. Sort of like light version of L4D series. Just with different perspective and more cartoony feel. Started the game and expected to play it for few hours and just leave it, but ended up getting back to it and soon finishing. Not a really long game, which suits me! There is a light puzzle aspect in the different weapons and the unlocks which kept the game interesting. Not a spectacular, but in short turns absolutely passable.

03-12-15 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
A console game! Don't get to play as much as these anymore. And this is no doubt the worst Uncharted game. The story and the voice acting top notch, but the game play!?! Especially the shooting! Arg! At one point it became so annoying that I just dropped the difficulty level to the easiest. Waves and waves of enemies after another. Not fun at all. Don't have a single nice to say about the shooting mechanism in these games. Also can not fathom that there is a multiplayer mode on this game based on! Some really "epic" levels though, like the whole escape the boat scene.

03-07-15 - Jazzpunk
This was an odd one for me. Mostly because I didn't really care for it. Nice art-style and music and funny at times, but just didn't do it for me.

03-04-15 - Ittle Dew
Probably the game I enjoyed most out of this four. In fact this made me go back to the old Zelda games, which it turns out I have actually not finished very many of them. Beat the game with the easiest (with gear) solution and would have loved to go back to this, but sadly don't have the time for that.
Got 5 endings out of 20 in Papers, Please. Not 100% completion, but good enough for now to go the the finished pile. When everybody praises a game I'm skeptic so I didn't jump on Papers, Please until during last Insomnia sale. Damn, this game deserved every praise it got. I just couldn't believe that a low res paper checking simulator could be engaging, and yet it was more engaging than many AAA games. Loved it! I started the game knowing a bit about it and thought I would just take care of my family and screw everything else. But that's not how it went... you can make 2 mistakes a day and so you will be tempted to "help" other people, especially since bribes also help your family and before you know it you get involved/invested in other things and you have to check more things as the game goes forward, and the time is limited... it can be stressful. I didn't expect that this game would keep me at the edge of my seat.

Over the weekend I also finished FarCry 3 Blood Dragon. For some reason I kept putting this off even if I owned for a long time. You are a bad ass cyber commando and the game makes sure you know it. Hell, by the end of the game, if you level up to maximum and unlock most weapon upgrades, you are a god among men. That's good because I was laughing too hard to actually play it well. I don't think there is a single serious thing in this game from:

- the story: classic 80's movies with over the top insane unrealistic plot and bad acting
- to the tips displayed: "Fast travel allows you to travel. Fast"; "Play the game your way. In your underwear, naked, clothed... we're open world that way."
- to the weapon's descriptions: "It's a bow. Seriously, if you need a description of what a bow does, maybe you should stop playing. Maybe read a dictionary. People who don't know what bows are get shot in the eyeballs. 'But a bow isn't the future,' you're whining. That's why we put neon on it, because neon is the future. Hence, this is the bow of the future."
- to the weapons themselves: this game has one of the best, if not the best, shotgun I have ever used (in a game). Quadruple barrels with semi-auto upgrade and fire rounds... oh yeah! The loading animation is pretty wicked also.
- to the awful puns. You wouldn't think there would be so many bad puns about ripping the hearts out of the other cyber commandos... but there are! Also headshot puns.
- to the dialogue: "Tell my wife... I died fighting for my country!" ==> "You can tell her that yourself!"
- to the dragons, which are less dragon and more laser shooting dinosaurs tbh.

Yeah, I loved this game!
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Another LEGO game, another very good game! So far, only the first two Batman lego games didn't convince me (haven't played the Star Wars ones but played all the others).

Truth to be said, the Super Heroes theme wasn't much for me. I by far prefer the Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter (even the LEGO The Movie) settings. But Marvel Sup's is still a very good game... with the same flaws than almost all Lego games, mainly the lags that come randomly in play. Tons of unlockables, a very big and dynamic New York City, lots of characters, side quests... no, this LEGO game has all it takes.

If you don't like sups, you can still play that game, because it's still a LEGO game. But if you like sups, then this game is a homerun.

So far in 2015 : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2
xa_chan: LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

Another LEGO game, another very good game! So far, only the first two Batman lego games didn't convince me (haven't played the Star Wars ones but played all the others).

Truth to be said, the Super Heroes theme wasn't much for me. I by far prefer the Lord of the Rings or the Harry Potter (even the LEGO The Movie) settings. But Marvel Sup's is still a very good game... with the same flaws than almost all Lego games, mainly the lags that come randomly in play. Tons of unlockables, a very big and dynamic New York City, lots of characters, side quests... no, this LEGO game has all it takes.

If you don't like sups, you can still play that game, because it's still a LEGO game. But if you like sups, then this game is a homerun.

So far in 2015 : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2015/post2
i had a ton of fun with this game, from the lego games that i played, this was the funniest for me , i think is because the game is not tied to any movie.
Today was released the lego jurassic park trailer, jeff goldblum lego will be hilarious haha
Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

The saga continues! Wasting time almost exclusively on RPGs this year continues! Life continues! Everything continues!

Last time, I wondered if Obsidian did a better job than Bioware. Short answer: yes, but not as much as I'd hoped. Long answer: read rant below.

What was fixed, or What's good about TSL:

+ improved area design - The kindergarten was burned to the ground, and now it's decently well-done. It's still a little empty, but overall it's much better.

+ side-quests - They exist! They're not crap! In fact, much like in Bloodlines, much like any great RPG I've played, they're the best part. Sometimes they even feature multiple solutions! Hurray!

+ skill and stat-checks - Unlike the first game, this one uses both skill (besides Persuasion) and stat checks. It adds some flavor to the proceedings.

What was not fixed, or What's bad about the KOTOR series:

+ main story is just as predictable as the last one. In fact, it is the last one. It's the same story, told in a somewhat more interesting manner. Counterpoint: The metaphysical noodling about the Force makes it all sound a lot smarter than it really is. Oh, and this game's big twist is so predictable, I don't think anyone could call it a twist aside from your in-game character.

+ companions are the same ol', same ol' - Most follow you regardless of what you do, their reactions are meaningless, and you can mold them to your liking. Sort of like with the main story, there's again some metaphysical noodling that plays very nicely into this, but this is a game, not a novel. By which I mean, I'd prefer my choices to have consequences. Counterpoint: They do, in the form of influence. Counter counterpoint: Yes, unfortunately. The fear of losing influence makes the game less fun, as now you're always worried about choosing the right thing to say or making sure you're not doing something that displeases someone, even while it pleases someone else. You might think this is a good thing, but nope, it's a drag, because it makes no difference - your companions are yours, want them or not. Small saving grace: Their backgrounds are a little better. No one is as offensively lame as Carth or Mission. Too many of them, though. And too many robots. And the Handmaiden / Disciple thing is a shitty move on their part, as it means male characters get a certain bonus while female ones don't - and it's not that they get something else. Oh, and then there's bonuses you can't get unless you have Skills. Good luck with playing that Guardian or not having a intelligence bonus.

+ morality - This is probably my biggest complaint. Obsidian didn't change the soul-crushingly lame character responses to something more acceptable. It's somewhat understandable, SW is shitty like that, and this game was a very fast iteration on the first one, but still, I'd expect better from the heirs of Black Isle. From how the rest was done, it's obvious this was on purpose. I'm not sure if that makes it better or worse for me.

+ the interface - I didn't really mention this one last time, but it's really consoley. The mouse here can move up and down, which basically made me switch to playing almost exclusively on the keyboard, which was painful in more ways than one - I think I damaged my wrist, but the amount of frustration at not being able to do a few simple things that would have made my life easier is even worse. Such as, use keys for activating powers. There's a lot of keys on keyboards, dear developers, many more than on gamepads. And making me click two small arrows in the bottom left corner over and over and over again is not fun, not practical, not cool. Would having four or five hotkeys bindable to anything really be asking too much?

+ difficulty - It's still way too easy, while at the same time doing that "hez too powerful, mastah" thing twice. Now that's frustrating. Sion was easy, Nihilus was laughably easy, Sion again almost made me excited when he landed a couple of hits, but then I realized my buffs were down because the battle repeats so many times, at which point I once again wiped him out in a single speed+flurry attack, as all previous times. The beloved be-Traya was harder to hit, which helped none, because I was even harder to hit, and two or three attacks instead of one isn't exactly frustrating. The beasts you fight in the Dantooine academy took more effort.

+ character system / levelling -> In the first one, this seemed like a plus. It was simplistic, but the level 20 cap prevented the issues that occur in TSL, namely how all your characters end up the same due to the fact you'll be finishing the game at around lvl 27. It also shoots balancing in the head, as they decided that's too much work and just added scaling. Oh the horror...

What was added/changed and we regret it, or What's bad about TSL:

+ crafting - Apparently it was unacceptable to publish a RPG without crafting at the time, and that resulted in this time-consuming yet unappealing activity. It also forces / punishes you for not upgrading the Repair skill with your main character. Again, what's the purpose of all these other people if I have to do everything myself? Why does the game look at the Exile's Repair skill instead of whoever is at the goddamn workbench? Shitty programming, that's why. The game really looks at whoever is the party leader. Normally, that's the Exile, but there are a couple of situations where that isn't true, so this becomes apparent. I honestly think this should be considered a bug, but no one else seems to agree, I've seen no mods that correct this. I did say this game is poorly balanced, right?

+ morality game mechanic - I did previously complain about the B&W character responses, and also that the original game screwed over grey Jedi by not affording them any endgame items. Well, TSL takes this one step further, because it adds the concept of Mastery - which is, you've guessed it, B&W. No bonus for you unless you've essentially strapped yourself at one extreme or another. And I do mean extreme. It's not enough to have light shooting out of your derrière, that little slider needs to be at the very top or no deal.

+ random loot - So, the first game featured a mix of predetermined and random loot. TSL is, sadly, much more heavily randomized. What this means is that you might get two copies of a great item next to each other (I mention this little scenario because it's exactly what happened to me...by the end of the game, I had three - THREE - copies of the Circlet of Saresh), or you might play a game where you get crap items for the entire duration.

+ implants depend on Constitution instead of feats - Increasing CON becomes mandatory, as the game checks only the base value, which really messed up my Sentinel/Watchman build - ie, with the Mastery and the Prestige class, I got +6 to CON. Did the game care? Nope, still could only wear 12 CON implants. You know, the shitty ones. But even if I disregard how it thwarted my attempt at being clever, pumping CON isn't very appealing to anyone, even to the straightforward frontlines fighter. So now you have to pull up some list of all the implants in the game and decide if spending four out of the five extra stat points you'll most likely get on CON is worth it. Except your calculations will indubitably be thwarted by the randomization. You can't make them (did I mention crafting is really just upgrade and utility items crafting? no? well it is), you probably won't be able to buy them (store inventories are also random, of course), all you can do is hope someone drops that sweet +2/+2/+2 boost that will have you ahead by two points. If this setup was a vegetable, it would be a shit pickle.

A short note on the famous unfinishedness & bugginess of TSL: The tales of it have been greatly exaggerated. At least, post all the patches that Obsidian put out. Trivia: they also wanted to put out a content patch, but LucasArts said no. I find that hilarious. Anyway, I've seen precisely zero game-breaking bugs. A few quests refused to go away from the active list in the journal even though I solved them. Every so often, the cutscenes behaved as if someone put them on fast forward. This also happens with the famous Restored Content Mod, though. Which brings me to the point: don't feel that you must install it. It changes the game, in addition to fixing bugs and restoring content. After an interesting discussion with fellow forumer Novotnus (starts here), my view of it has been somewhat tempered, and now I'd say install it for the second playthrough.
Post edited March 17, 2015 by hyperagathon
Them: The Summoning.

A HOG that falls flat on all areas that a HOG should be good at. And, "to be continued" to boot. I think I can live not knowing what happens in the sequel. Very amateurish game with lots of frustrations. Taking price into consideration its really, REALLY bad. 7 dollars????!?? really?
I wouldn't have believed it's possible to actual "finish" a game in 2015. It used to be games had a beginning and an end - now they have additional modes and achievements that require beating the game 1,000 times, etc. So at what point are you really "finished"?

But technically I have finished the main play through in Defender's Quest now. But as above, I still have a dozen achievements unfinished, plus there's an option to move your completed librarian up to a "New game+" which I haven't done yet because I'm still grinding out said achievements.

Hopefully all that grinding doesn't make me forget what a fun time I had playing through the main campaign and challenge modes the first time...

Otherwise, I think I now have 6 games I'm working on at once...

Forgot, I also finished the main campaign of Might & Magic X in January. Really liked it (despite Ubiplay, which fortunately I never had any big issues with). A lot of nice design and features in my view, though I can appreciate some of the criticisms.

Did not finish the expansion. While I wanted to get into what promised to be an interesting story, the very real balancing problems for melee-leaning parties in the opening act are, well, very real. The enemy healers could heal faster than I could dps them in the gimpy gear you re-start with.

Which led to me tinkering with the CSV files to fix some of the weighting problems, but once I went down the road of tinkering with settings it was pretty hard to walk back into immersion. Some day *maybe) I'll reinstall and play through with a more caster-focused group, but for now I'm saying I finished.
Post edited March 16, 2015 by bler144
Bushido Blade.

Bushido Blade is a Playstation one game that I consider one of my all time favorites. It features perhaps the best melee combat system ever, advanced mechanics such as locational damage, a destructible environment, a beautiful art style that helped it age better than most games of its era, the ability to move between areas on the fly, multiple storylines and even a POV mode.

The melee system is simple yet complex. There are three stances for you to use (which can be freely switched between), each stance has four standing attacks and a few running attacks. Each weapon (there are several types, including katanas, broadswords, sabers and more) has it's own unique attacks. Each stance and each weapon affects your blocking ability (which is based entirely on your stance and weapon). That sums up the moveset part, now onto locational damage.

Locational damage is heavily factored into the combat. You can die in one head slash/stab, upper chest slash or stab or back slash/stab. You can slash legs, forcing your opponent (or yourself, if you're unlucky) to crawl slowly on one knee with several of your attacks suddenly unavailable. The same goes for your arm, if your arm is cut then you lose speed (on your attacks) and your attacks become a lot more limited. You can even have both legs taken out, which forces you to crawl and basically you're done for. To sum it up, damage is realistic, one swift move can end a fight (or cripple one of the fighters), there are no health bars or anything like that.

There are six characters to choose from (plus one unlockable one). They each have a different build (physically) which affects their speed strength and reach, so for example one of the tall characters would be able to use a heavier weapon like a broadsword more effectively than one of the smaller lighter characters.

Each has their own unique storyline and interactions with the other characters, although you'll always face the other five characters in combat. You have to play with honor to continue the story, so no attacking before your opponent is ready (which you can do if you want) and no attacking from the back. If you defeat each of the first five characters honorably then you can unlock the second part of your character's story. If you win in a dishonorable way even once, then your character's story ends after defeating the fifth opponent (or even after advancing into the second part).

As mentioned, some areas have a destructible environment. This is especially noticeable in one map that features bamboo trees, you can slice them in half. Also as mentioned, you can freely move about the areas, giving a slight sandbox feel.

The art style is solid (especially in use of color), even if a couple of the characters are silly looking, to me it's a good looking game even today.

The voice acting is entirely in Japanese though there are subtitles, the voice acting is very good especially considering its era. Sound-wise it is solid all around, everything sounds just right.

Along with a story mode that features twelve unique stories (counting both good and bad endings) they managed to squeeze in a multiplayer mode, a POV (first person) mode (also featuring multiplayer) and a wave mode where you fight ten opponents then a boss, then ten more enemies (of a different rank) and their boss repeat as needed.

Overall I consider it one of the best games ever, and I heartily recommend it to anybody with a Playstation One or Playstation Two (I also believe it's available in the Ps3's digital store) looking for excellent swordplay.
Aha! Bushido Blade. I like this game too. Sword fighting was very fun.
Mar 17 - The Old Tree

This a short, but delightfully cute game with some simple puzzles in it. Not all games need difficult challenges. Some, like this one, are more about sitting back and enjoying the atmosphere of the game.

You guide a little alien (which would make a wonderful plush toy) as it hatches and crawls out of its nest. Watching it, you wonder where it is going and the ending is beautiful and perfect. It's sure to bring a smile to your face.

It's a small, free download and takes about 10 to 15 minutes to finish. Even if you aren't quite sure it would be your type of game, it's worth the very minor effort to play.
:O

I finally beat Velocibox - it only took 54 hours :P

You guys should totally play this. It's definitely up there with Super Hexagon...although, I think you might need a 120Hz monitor. Anything below 120 FPS becomes weirdly sluggish.
Attachments:
Braveland Wizard

A game that possesses substance almost solely through its ability to be mind-numbingly boring, extremely simplistic, of little to no value unless you want/need something utterly mindless to play for part of an evening (I say part because it doesn't even last for an entire night's worth of play) or you need something to pacify an obnoxious child.

The only other item of note regarding this title is that it is ridiculously overpriced compared to the numerous titles on GOG that are available for less than what the makers of it are asking.

And it looks like there's more of this series to come. Be still my godsdamned heart. Total preorder material right there.
I just finished Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender (again) the day before yesterday.

It's a classic point-and-click adventure, funny even if the humour is a bit crude and juvenile (the title of the game says it all, really).
Also, it's a tad short and a bit too easy for my tastes, but for someone who wants a bit of light-hearted adventure fun it's perfect.
CarrionCrow: Braveland Wizard

A game that possesses substance almost solely through its ability to be mind-numbingly boring, extremely simplistic, of little to no value unless you want/need something utterly mindless to play for part of an evening (I say part because it doesn't even last for an entire night's worth of play) or you need something to pacify an obnoxious child.

The only other item of note regarding this title is that it is ridiculously overpriced compared to the numerous titles on GOG that are available for less than what the makers of it are asking.

And it looks like there's more of this series to come. Be still my godsdamned heart. Total preorder material right there.
I feel your pain. After the original Braveland I said to myself: nevermore. The game is simply (!) boring. I was tempted by Braveland Wizard but resisted. Good for me apparently ;)
NoNewTaleToTell: Bushido Blade.
Great game! Reading your description made me want to play it again. I'll have to see if I can dig up my old disc.

The below indie game has a similar kind of one-hit kill battle structure and it also uses a very interesting ukiyoe-inspired art style, but unfortunately the play mechanics and animation are pretty horrible so I can't really recommend it other than being an interesting concept:

http://kiairesonance.com/