It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

07-08-14 - Don't Starve
Calling this finished even though there are surely more to be played for. Steam count says I've put 30h+ to this, not sure how much of that is idling and what actual game time. Anyway I truly enjoyed the game and could maybe even return to this one day with the DLC. Even if the game can get just downright brutal at times. Especially winter times. Still, once you get a stable food income, winter gear and remember to take it easy its all good.
Post edited July 14, 2014 by kalmis666
Dust, an Elysian Tale. Suprisingly good. I'm not usually fan of anthromorphic animals. But this game had it a lot right. It's a platformer with a back story, ingame trade system, side quests... Really, really good.

I don't know if it's offered on GOG. I got mine in one of Humble Indie Bundles.

Other than that. Don't know. I played Half Life serial. First HL2 and the episodes, and later HL source. I played HL1 and HL2 before, but episodes were new. :)
realkman666: We are few to realize that sound really hasn't evolved anywhere near as much as graphics in the last 10 years. Fallout 3, Thief, Sniper Elite 3, all with major sound problems. Just ridiculous.
Sad but true. If you compare Shock 2 to Bioshock, or Thiaf to the original Thief, you can't help but think that not only has sound not evolved, it has instead DEvolved.

thuey: Most of Joystiq named Bioshock as one of their favorite 10 games in the last 10 years.

But other than the first stage, which had some genuine creepiness and gore to it, the game was mostly forgettable. And boring. Kinda like Half Life 2 :/
I wonder whether at least some of the praise that Bioshock got was really game journos trying to „atone“ for not giving System Shock 2 the exposure it deserved back in the day.

I never played much of HL2, but personally, Bioshock reminded me a lot of Doom 3. It felt like playing Doom 3 with a better story, better art direction and some rudimentary-at-best RPG elements (if you can even call it that, since it‘s basically just stuff like shooting lightning and making timers run out slower)

DryFish: I finished 'Stalker' a week ago... and i was sad that it was all over, i really liked the game alot.
Then you absolutely MUST play Lost Alpha! Not only is this IMHO THE definitive Stalker experience, it's also free! You can get it here.
Shadowrun Returns: Dead Man's Switch.
Really nice game with really nice plot (I liked the serial killer investigation part better than things coming after that, but still it was fun). Shame it was so linear and your hired mercs had no \ minimal personality, but still - I had really good time playing it.
Finished toniight Shadowrun Returns - Dead Man's Switch campaign (base-game).

Added it to My 2014 Completed List:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2014/post79
Finished episode 3 of Cognition. The story advances a lot (too many cutscenes & dialogues by moments) and it has more puzzles that I didn't like than in the others. Also, lots of animations and walking bugs.

Story, music and 2d art are definitely the good points of the series.

Full list here.
Post edited July 16, 2014 by sebarnolds
Finished Splatter - Blood Red Edition.

Reasonable good top down shooter. Get weapons, kill monsters, find secrets, pass level. Basic concept. The main character reminds me a poor man's version of Max Payne in a world full of monsters. The story is bearable.
At least it offers 5 to 6 hours of reasonable fun.

Full list of beaten games in 2014
Post edited July 16, 2014 by Bibora
Pirated Pirates
This is by far the worst game I've played in years. It's boring, it's ugly, it's badly optimized and it's buggy as hell (boats sailing over land, phantom cannons, enemy fire you can't avoid, computer crashes and extreme slowdowns). There are just three different weapons from which one is completely useless and the power-ups are a bad joke.

The only positive thing I can think of is that the game is also extremely short. The horror was over after eleven levels. Not sure if that was another bug, but to be honest I don't care. Decided that I can mark the game as completed and will never return to it for sure.

Can't believe that the developer really dares to take money for this.

Complete list of finished games in 2014
PaterAlf: Pirated Pirates
Did you pirate it?
140 (100%) - I really liked this game. The main game is really short, but beating all three of the levels without checkpoints and mirrored was quite challenging and fun.

One negative thing about it was that my d-pad's vertical directions were reversed in game, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. This made the final boss pretty much impossible to beat using the d-pad. So, I had to play the last level using the analog stick on my controller.

Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge - Meh, I didn't really like it. I guess I got the bad ending, but I'm not interested enough to try to get the good ending. Also, I got an achievement for beating the game without buying anything from the shops. I didn't even realize there were shops in the game.

Full List
Post edited July 19, 2014 by OvaltineJenkins
Kingdom of Amalur

This game has taken me 7 months of on and off play to complete. It's a fairly good game though I think the Fable titles were better for this type of RPG. Unless you're a cursed completionist like me when it comes to games I'd advise just playing through the story missions, as the combat gets repetative about half way through the game.
Unhack
The game was very easy and very short (it took me about ninety minutes to complete it), but I enjoyed it. The whole game looked very polished and I liked the way the story was told. Only the ending seemed a little rushed, hope they will do a sequel in the future.

Complete list of finished games in 2014
Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall.
I liked this campaign a little more than the first one. Companions with personality, linearity still there, but at least hidden a little better, lots of gray moral choices.
If they have another official campaign in plans - they can be sure I'm buying it.
Post edited July 19, 2014 by Novotnus
Super Panda Adventures

Very fun metroidvania with RPG elements (you decide which skills to boost on level up). The metroidvania aspects are similar to Dust: Elysian Tail's - instead of all the levels being interconnected, there's an overworld map that you use to travel to different ones.
Finished two games in two days: NES Remix for the Wii U and Child of Light for the PS4.

NES Remix is a fun little timewaster. When you play it, you do realise that Nintendo developed it in a rush to try and some software out for the then-ailing Wii U, but that doesn't mean it's lacking that traditional Nintendo fun factor. I did find it quite cheeky that the game essentially contained full ROMs of the NES games while not allowing you to play them properly, but what the game essentially is - a series of NES classic-based mini-challenges - I did find very entertaining. There were also a few silly gags in the game that got a chuckle out of me - putting Zelda in Donkey Kong for example.

I've picked up NES Remix 2 on the cheap with the recent offer, so I'll be getting into that soon.

Child of Light is my candidate for game of the year so far. It has some of the best 2D art I've seen in any game of late, and the soundtrack by Béatrice Martin is nothing short of superb. The JRPG-lite gameplay was fun, and the combat system was really interesting while remaining quite simple. Even those factors that I initially thought were less flattering of the game - the short length among them - made more sense when I really thought about them. The game is essentially a fairy tale, and extending it any further would have just caused the story to drag on. The ending put a big smile on my face.

And I'll be listening to the end credits song for a long while yet. Beautiful stuff. I'll almost certainly be double-dipping with the Vita version so that I can have a physical copy to add to my collection.
Post edited July 19, 2014 by jamyskis