It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

timppu: Next on the line: Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1-2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 etc. etc. etc... I hope each of them doesn't also take 13 more years. Or maybe I should just forget about these gigantic RPGs.
lukaszthegreat: How long it took you to beat BG1 with ToSC?

bg2 with throne is pretty much triple of that. BG1+tosc took me around 75 hours.
For me it took around 13 years (if I start counting from when I started playing BG the first time properly). So I guess BG2+TOB is about 39 years then. :) But as said, it may be BG2 will keep me more interested and occupied, as the user interface is not in the way and off-putting, like the one in BG1. So maybe it will go faster then. At least I noticed yesterday that I yawn much less when playing BG2. Many times BG1 was like a sleeping pill to me, I started to feel sleepy quite fast.

I have never figured out how people count the amount of hours they've used on a game. Do you count all the hundreds of reloads? I think BG1 savegames seemed to mention only the in-game time, around 365 days 18 hours or so (e.g. if you slept in the game, it will add several hours to that time?), not the real time I've played the game. I think even the Steam playing time counters can be quite unreliable.

BTW I checked the BG1TuTu/EasyTuTu pages, and it seems they change the BG1 more than just fixing those UI issues I had? Like they add races, abilities etc. into BG1 that were not part of that game originally? In that sense I'm happy I first played it as a vanilla experience, without these extra BG2-specific goodies. But I would have still liked to have quest log and don't-block-your-party-members also in BG1.

lukaszthegreat: were you playing with bgtutu or bg trilogy mod? and why did you not just store all that crap somewhere? stuff does not disappear from chest in inns. for example i used inn in beregost to store everything. by the end of the game the chest could equip a small army, pay for it and teach them most powerful spells.
I wish I had realized that (or maybe I had just forgotten). Since I was unsure if stuff I leave somewhere will get resetted at some point, I didn't dare to leave potentially important stuff around.

At first I thought every book and letter found in shelves and cupboards might be important, but later I gathered that only if someone gave me something, or I found it on some bosses body, or I was otherwise directly pointed to the object, it would be important. Everything else is just fluff.

BTW, was the ending movie and credits supposed to be silent? I was a bit surprised as the game overall had great music, so I was kinda expecting to hear something mind-blowing at the end. But nothing.
lukaszthegreat: dunno.
check on youtube?
Tried it again, now I get music in the "outro" as well. I don't know what was wrong before.
Post edited August 23, 2013 by timppu
hucklebarry: McPixel.... wow (in a bad way). Not worth the freebie that it was being bundled with other games. This is a good example of a game I would not want to see come to GOG.
You know, I think you could easily say that McPixel is "objectively" a bad game, but I ended up really loving it. It's just so...silly. It's not something that i expected to like, but it really grew on me with it's over-the-top goofiness.
hucklebarry: McPixel.... wow (in a bad way). Not worth the freebie that it was being bundled with other games. This is a good example of a game I would not want to see come to GOG.
Austrobogulator: You know, I think you could easily say that McPixel is "objectively" a bad game, but I ended up really loving it. It's just so...silly. It's not something that i expected to like, but it really grew on me with it's over-the-top goofiness.
I'm sincerely happy you enjoyed it. Its in the top 2 of the worst games I've ever played (and likely a tie for the top spot). When someone says a game is bad... you can very safely assume they are sharing their opinion. (same goes for when a game is good ;) )
timppu: I have never figured out how people count the amount of hours they've used on a game. Do you count all the hundreds of reloads? I think BG1 savegames seemed to mention only the in-game time, around 365 days 18 hours or so (e.g. if you slept in the game, it will add several hours to that time?), not the real time I've played the game. I think even the Steam playing time counters can be quite unreliable.
just for BG i used xfire.
http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sh/type/0/dreed100.png
really wondered how long it will take me to beat whole trilogy. 145 hours is combined playthrough of bg1 and bg2 (haven't finished bg2 yet)
minus 3 hours of aborted play.

steam hour time is accurate as long as you dont leave the game hanging in menu. and occasionally their servers will crash.
so its accurate if you start game quickly, you are online and their servers are working properly.

BTW I checked the BG1TuTu/EasyTuTu pages, and it seems they change the BG1 more than just fixing those UI issues I had? Like they add races, abilities etc. into BG1 that were not part of that game originally? In that sense I'm happy I first played it as a vanilla experience, without these extra BG2-specific goodies. But I would have still liked to have quest log and don't-block-your-party-members also in BG1.
they make bg1 into bg2. change few rules, add stuff, they make bg1 work like bg2. but it also improves quest log. original one is indeed a horrible piece of shit. bg2's is just annoying :)

lukaszthegreat: I wish I had realized that (or maybe I had just forgotten). Since I was unsure if stuff I leave somewhere will get resetted at some point, I didn't dare to leave potentially important stuff around.

At first I thought every book and letter found in shelves and cupboards might be important, but later I gathered that only if someone gave me something, or I found it on some bosses body, or I was otherwise directly pointed to the object, it would be important. Everything else is just fluff.
i know the pain. in fallout 2 i robbed everything which was not nailed down till i got to vault city. then i asked myself wtf i was doing and simply stole only money and stimpacks :)
and bozar.

if you are playing SoA now then you can store stuff inside that tavern in promenade.

kalirion: Really? I thought the game dragged on for too long as it was.
hucklebarry: Took me 4 hours to beat, but most of that was AFK or being distracted by the TV (2 hours is likely a good full playthrough estimate).
Took me 3.8 hours to beat, and it still felt like it dragged on for too long with too much padding - the same stacking puzzle over and over again.
Beat witcher 1 for second time. just preparing a save which i lost when i formatted computer 3 years ago.

really good game.
Droid Assault

Fun game, would be even more fun if your AI controlled droids could actually take care of themselves in later levels instead of getting killed right away.
KotOR 2. I now remember why I had considered it better than KotOR. I haven't played it in ages, and after recently completing KotOR (which I love), I couldn't imagine liking KotOR 2 more. Well, I was wrong. KotOR, if anything, played it a bit too safe. It was much more similar to the original Star Wars trilogy in tone and overall feeling, and the twist, while still pretty wow-inducing, didn't really affect things very much. KotOR 2 went with a much darker tone and left the black and whiteness present in the first game. And its twist, while devoid of the shock value of KotOR's, is ultimately much more profound in its implications and ramifications. At least, I think so.

Medal of Honor. I got this with the Humble Bundle, and to be honest, the game I am most looking forward to is Dead Space 3, so until I play that, I'm just kind of passing the time with other games (I keep running into download errors with DS 3, but I think I've found out how to fix it). So I played this as a sort of filler, not expecting to be wowed considering the "meh" reaction most people seem to have had for this game. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised. The beginning segment wasn't particularly noteworthy, the game was far too short (or rather, ended too abruptly), and it didn't really do anything new, but I felt that what it did do it did exceptionally well. The gameplay was fun, the store kept things simple, and the characters were surprisingly good, especially considering there were quite a few with only a short amount of time do develop a connection to them. Plus, the end of the first segment with the Rangers was incredible.
Alice Madness Returns.

Ug. I want to like this game. It was quite good in many places, but it borrowed too many frustrating habits from the genre.

Light on combat and heavy on exploration made this twisted setting very exciting... except for where combat was unforgiving and jumping would start to work differently, or the camera angle would change, or its too dark to see, or the camera view stops working in tight corridors....

Overall, I can recommend this to platform/adventure fans who don't mind a dark setting and some adult themes. But its frustrating at how a few subtle changes could have made this game great instead of mildly irritating.
Dear Esther.

Amazing tech demo, but I wouldn't call this a "game". I would, however, love to see something like this fleshed out more.
Battlepaths, now thats what i would call a fun game.
Was nearly giving up hope on hard and than i found THE weapon ;-)
Just finished Psychonauts.

Wow. I really loved the story, the gameplay, the difficulty level I thought was spot on. The variety of gameplay was fantastic. The combination of platformy stuff and collecty stuff was perfect for my tastes. Really enjoyed it. I can see why people were keen for a sequel, and I can see why a sequel would be super expensive to make.

Before this year I hadn't played any Doublefine games. This, Costume Quest and Brutal Legend are now among my favourites.
Just finished Commander Keen 1 (Steam).
Just finished Dead Hungry Diner, a little puzzle game on feeding various types of monsters. Interesting, but felt a little unpolished and very short. The french translation is awful, even Google Translate might be able to do better. Still fun, but just above average game...

So far in 2013 : http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post31
Some minutes ago I finished 26/8/2013 - Red Faction: Armageddon - Path To War DLC.
I'm lucky it came free with Huble Bundle pack. 5E (regular price) for 1:18 of mildly entertaining gameplay? Well maybe if I was big fan of the franchise. Taken that I started from the 4th game and hoped for the best...meh.

Full list this way, in case someone is interested.
Post edited August 25, 2013 by IronStar