It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Austrobogulator: Yep, same. Really enjoyed it. It's decidedly not for everyone, but it certainly was for me.
dirtyharry50: How is it decidedly not for everyone? I am curious as I've wish listed it but maybe there are things about it I wouldn't like? I haven't really found much yet in the way of detailed reviews of the game.
It's very minimalist in terms of gameplay. I think if you're open-minded, and interested in playing a game that's just about exploration, then I think you'll like this. If you are the kind of person that's fine with just interacting with items and gradually discovering a story, then you should avoid reviews. This is a game where the less you know beforehand, the better.
dirtyharry50: How is it decidedly not for everyone? I am curious as I've wish listed it but maybe there are things about it I wouldn't like? I haven't really found much yet in the way of detailed reviews of the game.
Austrobogulator: It's very minimalist in terms of gameplay. I think if you're open-minded, and interested in playing a game that's just about exploration, then I think you'll like this. If you are the kind of person that's fine with just interacting with items and gradually discovering a story, then you should avoid reviews. This is a game where the less you know beforehand, the better.
Thanks. That actually sounds good to me.
Faerie Solitaire (adventure mode). Very addicting. I intended to play only a few games. 2 hours later, I was still playing.

Full list.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by arr0whead
Just beat Secret Agent (GOG). Not quite as much fun as Duke Nukem 1 and 2, but still not a bad little platformer. Only took around 4-5 hours to beat all three episodes. The first two episodes were fairly easy, but I had some trouble with a couple levels in the third episode (one probably took 20 tries to finish).
Ys Origin - all characters

Full list
The Chosen Well of Souls
Rise of the Triad (old version)
Laxius Force II
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (again)
Sleeping Dogs - Year of the snake - Zodiac Tournament - Nigtmare in Northpoint

Complete List

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post118
arr0whead: Faerie Solitaire (adventure mode). Very addicting. I intended to play only a few games. 2 hours later, I was still playing.

Full list.
Funny, because I just also finished Faerie Solitaire a couple of minutes ago! I must say that, even if I like puzzle games, I wasn't very tempted by the idea of a "solitaire". Boy was I wrong! It's a very nice game and I spent more time on it than I thought I would! The only gripe I had was that I would have liked the pets to have an actual effect on the game instead of just being "collectibles". Oh well, maybe in Faerie Solitaire 2 ? ;) But it doesn't take away anything to the fact that it IS a very good game.

Oh, and as I was at it, I completed The Walking Dead: 400 days. Pretty meh for the price, even while keeping in mind it's supposed to make the link with Season 2. It was pretty weak all in all...

So far in 2013: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post31
Post edited August 21, 2013 by xa_chan
I've just beaten Mirror's Edge. Now, I know probably no one is reading this but I have to share my feeling somewhere, right? Be advised possible spoilers ahead.
I'm honestly wondering what's all the fuss about that game? Yes, ok I get it's something we never saw before that, first person platforming but most of it is case of trial and error and how does the engine feel about you at the very moment. Wall running and wall jumping mechanic remained unsolvable to me until the very end despite I knew what I'm theoretically supposed to do. Where the hell am I supposed to go next part was quite difficult and needed some alt-tabbing just to see what hidden ledge did I miss this time.Fighting part was the worst part of it all, and it can't decide what my strategy should be. At first, suggestion is RUN! and than turns into you should beat an army. Barehanded. Story is missing some integral parts, and despite reading all the extra data like news in elevators and listened to news I still failed to find any sense. Government is evil? Ok, fine? What did they do? They broke the protest? Why were they protesting? Because PROTESTS! Now shut up and try that wall jump for 30th time! What are the runners delivering? Info and messages! Why? What for? WALL JUMP!!!! Is there anything beyond this? DOUBLE WALL JUMP! I get the feeling that quite considerable chunk of the game was thrown out the window during development due to, what I can only guess was deadline, leaving something that to me looks like unfinished mess. I think they missed an opportunity to reveal these by the means of unlockable info in hidden packages - XIII style.
So if someone can tell me what am I missing or give me an explanation of the story story I missed I'd be really grateful!
Post edited August 21, 2013 by IronStar
IronStar: I've just beaten Mirror's Edge. Now, I know probably no one is reading this but I have to share my feeling somewhere, right? Be advised possible spoilers ahead.
I'm honestly wondering what's all the fuss about that game? Yes, ok I get it's something we never saw before that, first person platforming but most of it is case of trial and error and how does the engine feel about you at the very moment. Wall running and wall jumping mechanic remained unsolvable to me until the very end despite I knew what I'm theoretically supposed to do. Where the hell am I supposed to go next part was quite difficult and needed some alt-tabbing just to see what hidden ledge did I miss this time.Fighting part was the worst part of it all, and it can't decide what my strategy should be. At first, suggestion is RUN! and than turns into you should beat an army. Barehanded. Story is missing some integral parts, and despite reading all the extra data like news in elevators and listened to news I still failed to find any sense. Government is evil? Ok, fine? What did they do? They broke the protest? Why were they protesting? Because PROTESTS! Now shut up and try that wall jump for 30th time! What are the runners delivering? Info and messages! Why? What for? WALL JUMP!!!! Is there anything beyond this? DOUBLE WALL JUMP! I get the feeling that quite considerable chunk of the game was thrown out the window during development due to, what I can only guess was deadline, leaving something that to me looks like unfinished mess. I think they missed an opportunity to reveal these by the means of unlockable info in hidden packages - XIII style.
So if someone can tell me what am I missing or give me an explanation of the story story I missed I'd be really grateful!
It's hard to answer everything, but to be short and not too spoily, let's say that in the future the Government controls ALL information, which is evil (right? right? ^_^), everything under the cover of protecting the democracy. So the runners are here to transport and deliver information some people would rather keep secret, whether it is messages between resistance members or even companies who would prefer the government not to put its nose in their business.

Anyway, the game never means to tell you everything. A large part is let to your imagination. If you were looking for a game where at the end you would know every little "why and who?", Mirror's edge will never be that game.

No, it is an action-oriented game. So the story is blurry at best and that's voluntary.

No the actual action part: yes, Mirror's edge can be a "trial and error" game during your first playthrough. It is also meant that way, even if in the menu I think you can enable the option to put the places where you're supposed to go in bright red when you come close.
That's normal, because next time you'll try to beat your time on the level.

Now the fighting: you are not, I repeat, you are NOT supposed to kill everybody. I know of one, maybe two mandatory fights, but that's all. The first time i played, I fought almost every NPC I met. The second time, I tried to avoid every fight and almost succeeded. That's an interesting challenge, I can assure you!

So maybe you should let pass some time and give Mirror's edge another try later? :)
xa_chan: It's hard to answer everything, but to be short and not too spoily, let's say that in the future the Government controls ALL information, which is evil (right? right? ^_^), everything under the cover of protecting the democracy. So the runners are here to transport and deliver information some people would rather keep secret, whether it is messages between resistance members or even companies who would prefer the government not to put its nose in their business.

Anyway, the game never means to tell you everything. A large part is let to your imagination. If you were looking for a game where at the end you would know every little "why and who?", Mirror's edge will never be that game.

No, it is an action-oriented game. So the story is blurry at best and that's voluntary.

No the actual action part: yes, Mirror's edge can be a "trial and error" game during your first playthrough. It is also meant that way, even if in the menu I think you can enable the option to put the places where you're supposed to go in bright red when you come close.
That's normal, because next time you'll try to beat your time on the level.

Now the fighting: you are not, I repeat, you are NOT supposed to kill everybody. I know of one, maybe two mandatory fights, but that's all. The first time i played, I fought almost every NPC I met. The second time, I tried to avoid every fight and almost succeeded. That's an interesting challenge, I can assure you!

So maybe you should let pass some time and give Mirror's edge another try later? :)
So someone is actually reading! :D
Thanks for answer, it certainly did make it a bit clearer combined with Mirror's Edge comics I read last night.
Anyway, why did they ignore the runners before the events of the game, and why did they hire an entire army to go after Faith? I know the answer to 2nd on is gameplay but 1st one stays unanswered. I might be going bit too far in asking questions but if it was yet another go there and shoot those guys game I wouldn't. I'm doing it because I really like the setting and general idea, I just feel potential wasn't used to full extent.

I had runners vision enabled and it still was trial and error. Jump! Too short. Jump again ant slightly different angle! Yeah, that does it. Combined with the fact that I never enjoyed beating my previous times... Now if game lasted bit longer and wall jumps were bit better implemented so they don't take umpteen attempts it would be much more enjoyable. I noticed that towards the end of the game when I was running away from unbeatable NPCs I managed to navigate rather well.

If I fight I'll usually win after 2nd or 3rd attempt. Every time I tried to run away i got killed. So yeah, running away didn't really cut it for me. :D

I probably will try again at some point (maybe when Mirror's Edge 2 is released?) as it's short enough. :)
IronStar: So someone is actually reading! :D
Thanks for answer, it certainly did make it a bit clearer combined with Mirror's Edge comics I read last night.
Anyway, why did they ignore the runners before the events of the game, and why did they hire an entire army to go after Faith? I know the answer to 2nd on is gameplay but 1st one stays unanswered. I might be going bit too far in asking questions but if it was yet another go there and shoot those guys game I wouldn't. I'm doing it because I really like the setting and general idea, I just feel potential wasn't used to full extent.

I had runners vision enabled and it still was trial and error. Jump! Too short. Jump again ant slightly different angle! Yeah, that does it. Combined with the fact that I never enjoyed beating my previous times... Now if game lasted bit longer and wall jumps were bit better implemented so they don't take umpteen attempts it would be much more enjoyable. I noticed that towards the end of the game when I was running away from unbeatable NPCs I managed to navigate rather well.

If I fight I'll usually win after 2nd or 3rd attempt. Every time I tried to run away i got killed. So yeah, running away didn't really cut it for me. :D

I probably will try again at some point (maybe when Mirror's Edge 2 is released?) as it's short enough. :)
Well, I do agree that Mirror's Edge potential wasn't fully exploited in that game... They could have done a much deeper and longer one... In fact, I think they let the runners alone before the game simply because they were a minor nuisance. But if I remind well, in the game, Faith (or another runner), discovers a piece of compromising information that could make the difference politically. Plus Faith's sister is a police officer, which could be embarrassing to say the least...

I've never had any problems with wall jumps or the general handling of the game. Of course, I had to get accustomed to the controls during the first half-hour, but after that everything went smoothly. I agree that some fights are hard to escpae from, especially towards the end when you're in the big computer room with all the guards with machine guns. But after a few tries I could pass it without using a gun at all.
xa_chan: Well, I do agree that Mirror's Edge potential wasn't fully exploited in that game... They could have done a much deeper and longer one... In fact, I think they let the runners alone before the game simply because they were a minor nuisance. But if I remind well, in the game, Faith (or another runner), discovers a piece of compromising information that could make the difference politically. Plus Faith's sister is a police officer, which could be embarrassing to say the least...

I've never had any problems with wall jumps or the general handling of the game. Of course, I had to get accustomed to the controls during the first half-hour, but after that everything went smoothly. I agree that some fights are hard to escpae from, especially towards the end when you're in the big computer room with all the guards with machine guns. But after a few tries I could pass it without using a gun at all.
If we think about same place, it was hinted that it might've been something. (Pope's diary?) but it was stolen.

It was wall run than jump that got me most of the time as I found it quite unreliable.
I managed to beat computer room on 2nd attempt after disposing all the helmets, one headshot at a time. :D
Sorry if I keep pinching myself, but:

- I just finished Baldur's Gate + Tales of the Sword Coast expansion.
- It feels kinda nice.

I thought I'd never see this day. I first started playing this game maybe 13 years ago or so, several restarts from the beginning etc.

Next on the line: Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale 1-2, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil, Neverwinter Nights 1-2 etc. etc. etc... I hope each of them doesn't also take 13 more years. Or maybe I should just forget about these gigantic RPGs. I hope the other games have better journals (quest logs), that would probably speed up the playing a lot.

The story of the game meant really nothing to me, maybe I didn't pay enough attention to it. The gameplay was ok and sometimes the combat was nicely challenging, albeit there were also silly cases where I realized I didn't have the spells or potions I'd need to fight some bosses (like the end fight of the expansion, I guess you _really_ need Mirrored Eyes potions for all your characters against that Gaze attack). Which just mean having to reload a save game, go buy the missing potions and/or sleeping in order to regain the spells you need for that specific encounter.

Besides the useless journal system, one thing I hated about the game was that I was carrying tons of crap without really knowing if I needed them later or not. In RPGs, I feel vital quest items should be marked somehow differently so that you know to hold on to them. Or at least you should have some secure place to keep all the stuff you are unsure if you need, but don't want to carry with you through the whole game "just in case".

So I had like 40 books or letters in my inventory taking up precious item slots, as I was not sure if they were needed for anything. Fortunately I didn't throw away e.g. the coronation invitation letter near the end.

BTW, was the ending movie and credits supposed to be silent? I was a bit surprised as the game overall had great music, so I was kinda expecting to hear something mind-blowing at the end. But nothing.
Post edited August 22, 2013 by timppu
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package

Fun though short bullet heller. Have only been able to finish it on Normal so far. A bit disappointing that only the first game in the series has multiple characters to select from.

Ultratron

Another fun but short game, this time a twinstick arena shooter. Beat the final boss and am a bit into the unlabeled "new-game+" with its double bosses.