It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just finished Game Of Thrones: The Role-Playing Game.
Finished the Base Game's Campaign on "Knight" difficulty.

Added to my list of 2013 finished games:
http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post44
MysterD: Just finished Game Of Thrones: The Role-Playing Game.

What did you think about it?
MysterD: Just finished Game Of Thrones: The Role-Playing Game.

kalirion: What did you think about it?
An underrated flawed gem.

In short - the game's story, lore & characters is outstanding and is the main reason to keep playing...
...though A LOT of the game feels dated (graphics quality is lacking, actual look of combat doesn't look that great) or could be of better quality (the voice-acting is just ALL OVER the place, some of the writing feel stilted at times).

We'd be talking about how GREAT this game was, if it was released around the time of DA:O. But, yeah - RPG's have came A LONG way in many regards, since then.

While the gameplay does get better and bigger and a little more strategic as the game goes on, a lot of my thoughts from my 1st impressions of the game still remain true.
It's long-winded - so read 'em, if you like:
http://www.xfire.com/blog/mysterd/4776881
Post edited September 19, 2013 by MysterD
MysterD: ...around the time of DA:O. But, yeah - RPG's have came A LONG way in many regards, since then...
Really? Did I miss some rpg gems, 'cause DA:O is still the best modern rpg I've played to date. Would appreciate the info on the better modern rpgs, in case I did missed something great and it's not just a difference in tastes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished:

Secret Files 3 - Solid adventure, not great but not bad either. Would recommend it to those that like adventures, assuming they can get it at a decent pricepoint.

Sanitarium - Solid story focused adventure. Story wise certainly unique and interesting. Watch out through as it's not compatible with Windows 7.

Complete list: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post132
Post edited September 19, 2013 by K_1269
K_1269: Sanitarium - Solid story focused adventure. Story wise certainly unique and interesting. Watch out through as it's not compatible with Windows 7.
o_o What? But I played it on my Windows 7 computer...
K_1269: Sanitarium - Solid story focused adventure. Story wise certainly unique and interesting. Watch out through as it's not compatible with Windows 7.
Austrobogulator: o_o What? But I played it on my Windows 7 computer...
Lucky you :) I got the appearently common "red door" game-stopping bug and had to restart it on a WindowsVista pc in order to finish it :( Was my mistake through, I completely overlooked the supported OS (XP, Vista) on the gamecard.
MysterD: ...around the time of DA:O. But, yeah - RPG's have came A LONG way in many regards, since then...
K_1269: Really? Did I miss some rpg gems, 'cause DA:O is still the best modern rpg I've played to date. Would appreciate the info on the better modern rpgs, in case I did missed something great and it's not just a difference in tastes.
Let me be VERY specific to what I was referring to about GoT: RPG - with what I think actually has COME A LONG way in many regards, in RPG's.

What I was trying to say was GoT: RPG is REALLY lagging WAY behind, in terms of...
1. ...Actual graphical technical quality.
See anything recently on a modern RPG engine - see Witcher 2, Dark Souls w/ DSFix Mod, Skyrim even, The Secret World, etc - these all look better than GoT: RPG.
If GOT:RPG actually came out around when DA:O came out, the graphics quality (lack thereof) wouldn't be such an issue).
2. ...The actual look of the combat in those "real-time w/ pause allowed" RPG types of games.
Just see how flashy Dragon Age 2 looks for combat for this time of game, when compared to DA:O and GoT: RPG, you'll catch what I'm driving at.
3. ...And some of the "Story/character stuff".
Some other games w/ full-blown voice-acting have MUCH better voice-acting, prose, and actual dialogue quality (i.e. see Fallout: New Vegas).

DA:O is certainly one of the best recent RPG's, yes - especially for strategic-style party-based RPG's with real-time combat with pausing allowed...
...even though combat just didn't "look" that great DA:O (it looks clunky).

DA2 made matters worse in one way by making the combat LESS strategic than DAO - but what they improved was the actual LOOK of combat was awesome for THAT type of game (real-time party-based RPG w/ pausing allowed). What DA2 did w/ making the combat look flashy - this really would've worked well for GoT: RPG, since that game is more action-y in nature (since "strategic pause" in GOT:RPG only slows down time and since at times you only might have a max of 2 characters to control); and GOT:RPG is less strategic than DAO (DAO has 4 party members max for you to control; while GOT: RPG goes for 2 for a max).
MysterD:
Ah, didn't realize you were mainly referring to graphics with that statement. Thanks for clearing that up MysteryD :)
No argument from me about GoT being a partcular eyecandy, it sure isn't the prettiest game around. Do have to say through that I still think DA:O looks just fine for a rpg in all areas imho. Then again I don't pay all that much attention to how good combat looks when playing a game...will pay some attention to it on my next play through the series, now that you mentioned it. As for the voice acting/etc., I sadly never had the pleasure to play Fallout:NV, as it turned out too buggy to run on my pc. It's nice to know through that it's such a quality game in that aspect. Hopefully I'll get it to run someday down the road to find out 1st hand ;) Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question MysteryD!
MysterD:
K_1269: Ah, didn't realize you were mainly referring to graphics with that statement. Thanks for clearing that up MysteryD :)
No argument from me about GoT being a partcular eyecandy, it sure isn't the prettiest game around. Do have to say through that I still think DA:O looks just fine for a rpg in all areas imho. Then again I don't pay all that much attention to how good combat looks when playing a game...will pay some attention to it on my next play through the series, now that you mentioned it. As for the voice acting/etc., I sadly never had the pleasure to play Fallout:NV, as it turned out too buggy to run on my pc. It's nice to know through that it's such a quality game in that aspect. Hopefully I'll get it to run someday down the road to find out 1st hand ;) Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question MysteryD!
You're very welcome! :D

I plays LOTS and LOTS of games - so yeah, you can expect me to pick-up on LOTS of things. Sure, I might be forgiving and might even overlook some things, depending on how I feel about a game and its strengths - but I'll still point things out.

GoT: RPG
It's more than graphics that were weak in GoT: RPG - it's all 3 things that I listed:
1. the graphics quality (it's week and looks like it should've came out when DAO did) and art design (many not-important characters look bland);
2. the actual look of the combat (looks clunky & not that exciting to watch);
3. AND the voice-acting, writing, and prose can be stilted & all over the place (sometimes good, sometimes bad, sometimes horrible - flip a coin).

What things this game does well and actually better than actually many others, is this:
1. the actual story & plot itself
2. the characters
3. and the GOT universe & its Lore are all great.
If you play a game for THESE things, that's its strengths.
So, whenever that rumored Focus Humble Bundle hits, you might want to get GoT: RPG.

Dragon Age series:
I think DA:O's graphics are generic-looking (for dark fantasy) & technically-weak even - just like the original NWN did upon release. They might've looked decent for that kind of RPG at that time, but they're dated when compared to many others.
IMHO, I actually preferred the actual graphics style and technical DX10/11 features that DA2 had going on. Unfortunately, DA2 is in so many ways NOWHERE as great as DAO. I'll try not to get into that discussion, as I could go on for plenty of walls of text about that - even though I did like DAO despite its laundry list of issues I had with it, I think it's VASTLY inferior to DAO.

Fallout: NV:
Chris Avellone is involved, so you can expect much better narrative, story-telling, and characters. It's been one of his staples (and any company he is involved with), since back in his old Black Isle days (Fallout 2 and especially Planescape: Torment) up to his Obsidian days (most of SW: KOTOR 2; Alpha Protocol & Fallout: NV Ultimate Edition).

What kind of PC you running? If it's weak - I would suggest if you get a better PC and/or parts installed; and get the game patched up (and maybe even modded-up with any fan-made bug fixes that might be out there) - yeah, then you might want to play Fallout: NV Ultimate. I think it's a great game overall - and especially Old World Blues DLC deserves a mention for being one of the best DLC's that I've ever played.
MysterD: ...If you play a game for THESE things, that's its strengths... you might want to get GoT: RPG.

Fallout: NV:
What kind of PC you running? If it's weak ...
Lol, actually played GoT already and liked it a lot for exactly the reasons you mentioned! Great summation btw :)
My question was really just aimed at the mention of DA:O and the better/newer rpgs through. Should have made that clearer, apologies for that!

About Fallout:NV, I got the Ultimate version on steam and a pretty dencent pc that runs games like TombRaider2013 and Skyrim without any hassle on high, so I doubt it's a hardware problem. F:NV starts up fine too, but crashes after a few minutes everytime, thus making it unplayable for the time being. But thanks for the tip with the fanpatches will look those up the nexttime I try to get it to work! :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finished:

Cognition: Episode 4 - Preferred the earlier episodes gameplaywise, as this one was a little too cutscene heavy and linear for my taste. Still was a decent ending to the series through imo.

Complete list: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/games_finished_in_2013/post132
Post edited September 20, 2013 by K_1269
Hotline Miami.

...bwuh? So that certainly...was a thing.

Let's do it again!

I even enjoyed the boss fights. I understand this marks me as something of a novelty in terms of people who speak about it.

Going back for the puzzle pieces now.
I just finished Avernum 2.

A good game like the first one. Nearly everything was improved, like the journal, the writing and the battle overview.
The game took me 88 hours to beat which is around a third longer than part one (64h).

I became bored toward the end. If I had hunted down the last level 3 spells the game would be longer than 90 hours without a problem.

I also updated my list.

(btw. I paid 6,18€ for the Avernum bundle on GOG and I already spend 152 hours playing it. That's what I call a lot of game for my money. ^^)
Post edited September 20, 2013 by Dotur
finished Fortix, fast interesting strategy, indie game
Finished Dracula: Love Kills. Nice HOG and pretty long. Took me a couple of months to finish.
I just got Full Throttle in the mail today, and and i just finished it.