It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.

Larian Studios have just announced that they are developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

Prepare for the return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

Baldur’s Gate III Early Access coming to GOG.COM on October 6th!
Baldur's Gate 3 - Community Update 01

Watch how Swen and the team managed to convince Wizards of the Coast to allow us to unleash our own brand of madness on Baldur's Gate! Its a harrowing tale of knights, vampire swords, abductions and the horrifying effects of ceremorphosis...

https://youtu.be/LI4v6hC_rjM

<3
BG3 could be an unmitigated disaster but at least they're passionate about it
Are people happy its Larian and not Beamdog who is doing BG3 ? :)
low rated
https://lilura1.blogspot.com/p/baldurs-gate-3.html
gamesfreak64: Anyway maybe some new smaller developers show up who will create good old games, no fancy stuff and eyecandy.
engines.
teceem: Yeah, they should make it ASCII art only, or just plain text, like in the 70s! But wait... why not just pen & paper? I hate this 20th century!
Thanks for the nice and funny reply ...., but i am really serious about this, playing games > 40 years i have seen lots of good games that were truly out of this world , very good games, i also seen many shovelware released on every platform, the biggest problem is they start simple usually 2d or so, but somehow they really like to develop a 3d game and fpp, that's what many developer dreams about to release a blockbusting game, that sells millions which is a nice goal.

The downside is all the rpg and rts end up with a 3d engine at the end, Fallout had 2 magnificent games and one game Fallout Tactics that was, 'different', at first i thought omg.... but after playing it istill had that Fallout thing that made me instant buy the first games at release ( retail) at full listprice, never regretted the buys, today aal the classic turned 3d and that is where i draw the line: imho 3d and FPP work a charm for games like shooters, driving , simulations, games Counterstrike, Duke nukem, and every real 3d game that has the 3rd or 1st perspective of a dude walking , heavilly armored, and huge guns shooting all the badguys into oblivion.

Anyway that is where 3d and FPP is best in: in those games i mentioned above, RPG should not go 3d style imho.
Niggles: Are people happy its Larian and not Beamdog who is doing BG3 ? :)
I dont mind if it would be a gnome developing a game, a welknown name / brand doesnt guarantee 100% good games .... afterall its the gamer who decided what to buy, ofcourse tehre are many 'guides' online, and even still in (paper) magazines, but thats all they are , just a guide to help, i will always be the one that decides, even if a review is meh, i will still decide if i will take the risk.

No game should be 'infested' with bugs that keep crashing the game making it impossible to play, thats the main priorty
to eliminate gamebreaking bugs, once thsoe bugs are out of the way actual gameplay can be tested after which we can leave a review, the review will differ from many reviewers, some will like it some will hate it and some will consider it.
gamesfreak64: [...] RPG should not go 3d style imho.
It is true that many great games that were developed in 2D, be it with isometric or with a bird's eye view, had sequels in 3D that were not that good, back when 3D was the new fad.

Then, we need to difference between 3D third person perspective and 3D with first person perspective. While an isometric game that had a 3D, 3rd person perspective was understandable (like in the Kohan series), having a sequel with 3D FPP indeed was simply another kind of game. You mention Fallout. This has happened even more recently, with the Divinity games.

3D at the beginning was all the rage but its limitations have not passed the test of time well. It is not the case anymore. There are beautiful examples, like in Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun: this game improved upon the isometric 2D view of its inspiration, Commandos, with a useful 3D perspective that leaves no hidden corners to the player.

So, if you wanted to mean that Larian should not do what they did with Divinity (making FPP sequels), probably most of us would agree to that. On the other hand, a 3D engine that does for Baldur's Gate what it did with the sucessor of Commandos would be the best way and probably the only realistic way this close to 2020.
gamesfreak64: [...] RPG should not go 3d style imho.
Carradice: It is true that many great games that were developed in 2D, be it with isometric or with a bird's eye view, had sequels in 3D that were not that good, back when 3D was the new fad.

Then, we need to difference between 3D third person perspective and 3D with first person perspective. While an isometric game that had a 3D, 3rd person perspective was understandable (like in the Kohan series), having a sequel with 3D FPP indeed was simply another kind of game. You mention Fallout. This has happened even more recently, with the Divinity games.

3D at the beginning was all the rage but its limitations have not passed the test of time well. It is not the case anymore. There are beautiful examples, like in Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun: this game improved upon the isometric 2D view of its inspiration, Commandos, with a useful 3D perspective that leaves no hidden corners to the player.

So, if you wanted to mean that Larian should not do what they did with Divinity (making FPP sequels), probably most of us would agree to that. On the other hand, a 3D engine that does for Baldur's Gate what it did with the sucessor of Commandos would be the best way and probably the only realistic way this close to 2020.
" So, if you wanted to mean that Larian should not do what they did with Divinity (making FPP sequels), probably most of us would agree to that. On the other hand, a 3D engine that does for Baldur's Gate what it did with the sucessor of Commandos would be the best way and probably the only realistic way this close to 2020.
"

Yes this is what i meant :D , its not bad to use characters that look 3d, its the fact 3d comes also with zooming in and out, turn the 'world' around 360 degrees, thats the problem, Gorky 17 used some 3d like graphics, but you cannot freely turn around your own axis, cant zoomin and out and you dont have to scroll the map, thats my issue with 3d all those added perspectives and turning 360 degrees of the screen is what makes me wobble on my feet like a drunk man does when he drank too many :D

Anywaything with motions is, there can be too many, just think of the common 'carsickness' or people at a boat throwing up, its the motions that cause that, some people are sensitive to that.
I have no problem playing Gorky 17.
Yes, they are.

I am really glad Larian is doing BG3 and I wouldn´t mind Beamdog doing their own IP either in Infinity engine or NWN1 engine.
I am sure they don´t want to do remasters all the time.
Sure!

Theirs latest games look like eye candy.
And they're not obsessed with gay stuff like Beamdog and Modern Bioware (EA's division) do.
Post edited June 09, 2019 by vsr
gamesfreak64: [...] its not bad to use characters that look 3d, its the fact 3d comes also with zooming in and out, turn the 'world' around 360 degrees, thats the problem, Gorky 17 used some 3d like graphics, but you cannot freely turn around your own axis, cant zoomin and out and you dont have to scroll the map, thats my issue with 3d all those added perspectives and turning 360 degrees of the screen is what makes me wobble on my feet like a drunk man does when he drank too many :D

Anywaything with motions is, there can be too many, just think of the common 'carsickness' or people at a boat throwing up, its the motions that cause that, some people are sensitive to that.
Nice game, Gorky 17. Chess with guns against incoming monsters. Original and underrated, nice that you mentioned it. It brings to mind Incubation, but Incubation has a more conventional approach (being another nice, puzzle-like tactical game and all).

What about a compromise with yet another step? Games made in 3D that allow for pretending that they are 2D and isometric, yet allow themselves to be played in that way, only that if and when the player wishes, they allow for some zooming in and out (mostly out for having better situational awareness), and for turning in order to allow hidden corners and details to appear onscreen. But that allow themselves to be played as if they had a fixed perspective for the most part. And with a convenient key for instantly returning to the default perspective.

Also, kinda curious here: do you know whether people sensitive to movement sickness are equally affected by sprite-based first person games? (think Doom, Duke Nukem II and their brethen). What about sprite-based flight simulators? (think TIE-fighter).
Post edited June 10, 2019 by Carradice
gamesfreak64: [...] its not bad to use characters that look 3d, its the fact 3d comes also with zooming in and out, turn the 'world' around 360 degrees, thats the problem, Gorky 17 used some 3d like graphics, but you cannot freely turn around your own axis, cant zoomin and out and you dont have to scroll the map, thats my issue with 3d all those added perspectives and turning 360 degrees of the screen is what makes me wobble on my feet like a drunk man does when he drank too many :D

Carradice: Nice game, Gorky 17. Chess with guns against incoming monsters. Original and underrated, nice that you mentioned it. It brings to mind Incubation, but Incubation has a more conventional approach (being another nice, puzzle-like tactical game and all).

What about a compromise with yet another step? Games made in 3D that allow for pretending that they are 2D and isometric, yet allow themselves to be played in that way, only that if and when the player wishes, they allow for some zooming in and out (mostly out for having better situational awareness), and for turning in order to allow hidden corners and details to appear onscreen. But that allow themselves to be played as if they had a fixed perspective for the most part. And with a convenient key for instantly returning to the default perspective.

Also, kinda curious here: do you know whether people sensitive to movement sickness are equally affected by sprite-based first person games? (think Doom, Duke Nukem II and their brethen). What about sprite-based flight simulators? (think TIE-fighter).
thanks for the reply , yes i have seen the incubation game, manytime i have seen it on sale, always wondered if it would be a game i can play....

Sprite based ?
well in my case it is unfortunetaly a confirmation: yup in my case same effect seems its the moving and wobbling and turning and maybe the suggestion of a 3d view that isnt really there cause you cant touch it, then again, a merry go round / carrousel ..... brrrr also made me almost threw up, so i fear its the 'motions', samething in a bus and on a boat, some wildpark back in the 80s had a boat you could 'ride' and then a tour would start through one of our wildlife parks, well i was always glad it was over( glad all over ? thats a song) cause .... wow a nausiating feeling came over me.

Anyway, when getting older i think it got worse,got some back problems, and maybe some light instability from the ribs and neck, yeh, getting older is no fun. Beside that and some joint problems ( muscles and bones) i was rarely ill like many other in my class, i guess i rather trade what i have now with being sick and having a runny nose and flue then the problem i have now :D
Post edited June 10, 2019 by gamesfreak64
This game is dead to me unless it faithfully implements D&D rules. It will be a real shame if it's ends up being a glorified D:OS2 mod with casualized mechanics like cooldowns and mana.
not really but at least it not Bioware... I assume it will be pretty to look at and have a good story for the first area which is about as far as most journalist get before they rave about giving it a 9.5 ot of ten score

for what its worth I'm getting mine because I want to beleave!
Tauto: But,dish water is warm and bubbly.And for the kiddies,don't drink it!
darthspudius: Shall I edit it to dirty dish water? haha. I like how I was down voted for the post (despite being positive), some things never change haha.
Have you even read D&D monster manuals etc? The setting is actually very interesting you more you get into it. So sick of this "Oh it's high fantasy that automatically makes it "generic"" non-argument that it doing the rounds.