It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

An ancient evil has returned to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out. The fate of Faerun lies in your hands. Alone, you may resist. But together, you can overcome.

Larian Studios have just announced that they are developing and publishing Baldur’s Gate III. Created in close collaboration with the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, Baldur’s Gate III is based off current D&D mechanics and spells and is the official new chapter in the legendary series.

Baldur’s Gate III will push the boundaries of the RPG genre and offer a rich narrative with unparalleled player freedom, high-stakes decisions, unique companion characters and memorable combat. It is Larian Studios’ biggest production ever and will be playable together with friends or as a single-player adventure.

Prepare for the return of a malevolent presence to Baldur's Gate, intent on devouring it from the inside out, corrupting everything that remains in the Forgotten Realms.

Alone you may resist, but together you can overcome. Gather your party.

Baldur’s Gate III Early Access coming to GOG.COM on October 6th!
Niggles: Why is this i wonder?
GeraltOfRivia_PL: Well, third person and first person games are believed to sell better. Not without reason. If you have got a person whos never played video games, Witcher 3 or GTA V will be easier to get into than D&D games with tons of intricacies. Shooting pedestrians in GTA and running away from the police is easier than learning all about rolls, saving throws, armour class, THaC0 or whatever.

But technically in the last decade we have had Beamdog's Extended Editions

Also technically in the past deca
Yeah but those recent ones arent "new" games. Just remastered/extended versions of existing games (mods included). Wondering why there hasnt been any "new" DnD games......in fact there doesnt seem to have been too much in terms of DnD novels (official ones) lately either? (used to love them...).
Personally love DnD type stuff even if i never grew up or experienced tabletop DnD environment.
Post edited September 24, 2020 by Niggles
GeraltOfRivia_PL: By spirit of the origins i meant the first BG games. Sorry, i am sick and not thinking clearly. I am ashamed of it, but i have never played tabletop RPG games
I was referring to the first BG games a well. But, you have to understand that it links in what has been happening in the pen & paper game. BG1/2 were made using 2nd edition D&D and based on the Forgotten Realms setting as it was in second ed. Since then, WotC have 'f-ed' up the FR setting (i.e. with the Spellplague and the Sundering) and they are insisting that Larian base BG3 in a time period that corresponds to 5th edition, which is after those controversial events in the lore. So their hands are somewhat tied in terms of how 'faithful' they can be to the original games, regarding the lore (and the ruleset, as they are being forced to use 5th edtion).

GeraltOfRivia_PL: Planescape Torment is gritty and serious, though not withot humour. Meanwhile Baldur's Gate is kinda more straightforward in that there is a more clear distinction between good and evil ( i don't mean in alignment terms). In Planescape, there's almost no purely good characters. I hope that BG3 is more similar to BG1 and 2
I think in general, Forgotten Realms tends to have a clearer distinction between good and evil than Planescape, so I expect that to be reflected in BG3.

Niggles: Why is this i wonder?
My take is that two planets have to align for a game to be made based on a licensed IP: there has to be a developer willing to make the game, and the IP owner has to agree for them to use it. The last time those planets were aligned was with Bioware. However, in the past 10 years it seems they have focused more on developing their own IP franchises (Dragon Age and Mass Effect). I guess they wanted their own IP so they didn't have to keep making license payments to WotC.

On the other side, my understanding is that Larian wanted to make BG3 sooner (before D:OS2), but WotC didn't think they were ready for it. It seems it has only been after the release of D:OS2 that WotC were willing to let them do it.

Regarding the books: I'm not sure. Although, I know at least some of the long-time D&D authors were very unhappy with the 4th edition changes to FR. From the Wikipedia article:

R.A. Salvatore was also publicly unhappy with the 4th Edition changes to the Forgotten Realms. Salvatore said "basically, we authors were handed a document and told how things were going to be. We were asked our opinions, but they mattered very little - the changes were being driven from a different direction. [...] To have characters that have built such a strong history, then have that upset on the orders of someone else was very disconcerting.

Perhaps they weren't very motivated to write more fiction after the unpopular changes to the setting?
Post edited September 24, 2020 by Time4Tea
low rated
Will someone on here please be so very kind to actually GoG.com gift to me today later on Baldur's Gate 3 by Larian Studios somehow really please after it releases today please?
I just hope the scale of quests in terms of game-time length is to be consistent with Baldur's Gate 1 or Baldur's Gate 2.
In the sense that nowadays marketers want to impose short singleplayer experiences because it's easier & faster to market & generate profit off short development products. Because in the end, they are products, in a Market Society/Consumer Society, even though they do have Artistic & Design elements in them.
No idea what you're going on about, when the most visible games these days typically take multiple years of development time, cost dozens or hundreds of millions of $$, and are usually open-world things with 100+ hours. That's the opposite of "short singleplayer experiences" and "short development products".
The thing that scares me most is that BG3 will be a reskinned DOS.

DOS1/2 are games that, on their own right, can be nice and fun but, as a long timer D&D player, I always found Larian games a bit too higher fantasy in flavour.

The other aspect is how the D&D ruleset is actually applied.
Even assuming Larian will use 1:1 D&D 5th rules, there is still the possibility that it will taste like DOS with a d20.
And, to be honest, I'm not excited about it.

DOS combat feels more like a puzzle where you need to have the character built optimally and applying certain tactics.
Something that, in an RPG, feels a bit forced on the player.
Post edited April 15, 2021 by OldOldGamer
eric5h5: No idea what you're going on about, when the most visible games these days typically take multiple years of development time, cost dozens or hundreds of millions of $$, and are usually open-world things with 100+ hours. That's the opposite of "short singleplayer experiences" and "short development products".
It's not me, it's from multiple developers actually:
Ninja Theory's impressive, relatively short single-player game that generated decent revenue, looked amazing, won numerous awards and was made on a relatively small budget.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-11-eidos-montreal-we-have-to-try-new-models-for-single-player-games

Patrick K. Mills, senior quest designer at the Polish company, discussed the length of Cyberpunk 2077's "main story run" on a Twitch stream -- as posted on Resetera.
According to Mills, Cyberpunk's campaign missions will be shorter than The Witcher 3, following "complaints" from players that it took too long to reach the end.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-09-21-cd-projekt-shortened-cyberpunks-campaign-over-length-complaints

2021 - Hazelight Studio's head Josef Fares believes Single-Player Games Are Too Long.
https://screenrant.com/it-takes-two-director-single-player-games-long/

there were more articles but i can't find them currently; also some links i had are no longer available... I'm glad most people just don't wanna buy short games.
Post edited April 17, 2021 by Beerbeer007