It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

We often receive questions and messages asking how we are doing as a team, company, store, and platform. That is why we decided to give you a bit more insight into our operations and last year’s results.

Last year was a very challenging time for all of us due to the ongoing global pandemic. Since March 2020, our team continues to work remotely from homes, which is not always easy. Having that in mind, we’re even more proud and happy to share these facts and numbers with you.

[Full image]

It’s a new format for us to share data like this and we’d appreciate hearing your impressions, comments, and suggestions.
fortune_p_dawg: so.... skyrim soon then?
The one statistic we are sorely missing:

Number of Skyrim releases per year: 0

:P
high rated
fortune_p_dawg: so.... skyrim soon then?
Microsoft has their hands on the Dragonborn, I heard they locked him in a tower somewhere up in the mountains.
GOG.com: we’d appreciate hearing your impressions, comments, and suggestions.
Generalized percentages are highly useless.

It would be much better for you instead to publish hard, concrete, specific numbers, such as:

- What is GOG's amount of profit in USD in 2020?

- How many active customers, exactly, did GOG have in 2020?

- How many games did GOG sell, exactly, in 2020?

- How many GOG customers, exactly, use GOG Galaxy?

- How many GOG customers, exactly, do not use GOG Galaxy?

Likewise, GOG should be fully transparent about controversial information that has historically been kept hidden from the public, like:

- Why, exactly, does GOG refuse to allow most AO games to be sold here?

- Why, exactly, does GOG choose to censor some non-AO games by way of refusing to allow them onto the store (i.e. Hatred, Agony Unrated, etc.)?

- What, exactly, is the honest & real reason why Devotion was banned from GOG?

- Is GOG pursuing deals with other large publishers to sell their DRM'ed games through Galaxy, like the EGS deal that does that?

- Why does GOG allow some games to have Galaxy-gated DRM in their singleplayer content, including Cyberpunk?
Post edited April 27, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Congratulations, GOG :)

I could let you into my Money Room (If I only had one) :D
high rated
What I took from this article was:

"Our users love Galaxy so much they're demanding it be made mandatory."

Aramandur: So, all users will not be able to buy and play Devotion because of "some players" included in those 6% from Asia said so? Is that correct?
And also, this.

Man, those 6% of gamers from Asia really hold a lot of influence.
Post edited April 27, 2021 by yogsloth
high rated
I'm really glad about the low refund rate, especially with GOG's really generous refund policy. Seems like most people are not douches and assholes after all. :-)
Ancient-Red-Dragon: Why, exactly, does GOG refuse to allow most AO games to be sold here?
That has been explained over and over. GOG would have to implement an age verification system - and the fracking Germans won't do with "Yes, I'm 18" - it's horribly complicated. That's why Steam has blocked all those games in Germany, something GOG simply doesn't want to do.

Ancient-Red-Dragon: - Why, exactly, does GOG choose to censor some non-AO games by way of refusing to allow them onto the store (i.e. Hatred, Agony Unrated, etc.)?
Because they are shit? I know several people who own and have played Hatred. All of them say the game simply sucks. Agony (without the unrated) has terrible review scores. I can't see the Unrated version (region locked) what is the verdict there?

Ancient-Red-Dragon: - Why does GOG allow some games to have Galaxy-gated DRM in their singleplayer content, including Cyberpunk?
Aka: Why are there no offline installers for the bonus content? I would love to know that too... so silly.
Post edited April 27, 2021 by toxicTom
high rated
Having made a significant contribution to making Europe top dogs sales wise, I demand you build me a statue!
A golden statue!
NOW!
high rated
I don't know how hard this would be to gather accurately, but I'd really like to know how many more people use Galaxy over installers (if Galaxy is used by far more people).

"we’d appreciate hearing your impressions, comments, and suggestions."

What I personally want:

* keep the installers obviously

* I'm really not that interested in Galaxy/client features, so if you release single-player games with missing features to Steam (except for single-player DLC), I'm okay with that. (Dead Island multiplayer gutted and whatnot) I guess mod feature like Steam workshop would be useful.

* release mediocre-reviewed and/or controversial games high on the community wishlist (Hatred, Underworld Ascendant, Devotion, Agony, etc.), unless you really have data to suggest the sales wouldn't be worthwhile.

* more older "AAA" games but presumably you're constantly trying to get these.

* I know deep discounts are "bad" for the gaming business, but frankly since I don't make much money I'm grateful for them. Deep discounts for initial releases of games that were already on Steam for years.

* release more freeware games high up on the community wishlist

* I want these games: missing Humongous games (Spy Fox, Freddi Fish, Putt-Putt), Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary, Doom 3 original, Serious Sam 2, Dead Island, Duke Nukem Forever, Toy Story Action game, LEGO Island and other pre-2005 LEGO games, more classic shooters
Post edited April 28, 2021 by tfishell
Very neat presentation, thanks!
high rated
I have experience with statistics. Here are some side notes for anyone interested:

* Audience growth: "Year over year growth in December. Data measured as of the end of the year". These appear to be statistics for December. In December 2020, Cyberpunk was released. Partly explains why monthly active users are lagging behind.
* Financial results: undefined X-axis, undefined Y-axis. The +114% doesn't surprise me: Cyberpunk and Cyberpunk pre-orders.
* Market split: South America and Africa combined are only 7%, but given the lower income that's not entirely surprising. 6% for Asia including Russia? Ouch! Also confirms what I said before: "I highly doubt "GOG" has much marketing value in China". Devotion..
* Games released in 2020: mostly fair enough, but keep in mind that Game A and Game A Deluxe are probably counted as two games. Number of products probably includes numerous trivial DLCs.
* New titles: can't argue with that, but if you have to include Shen Mue III in the hall of fame.. wait what the hell, the Batman games, those released here in 2020, they're not in the gallery?!? Hexen and Heretic aren't in the gallery either?!
* Users and buying habits: not representative for user interest because particularly sports, racing and (flight) simulation games are underrepresented in the store. 28M+ freebies no doubt, but not very meaningful because we don't know how many were claimed by bots.
* Customer support: 93% customer satisfaction rate. No details on how they got this number, so largely meaningless. 1.39% refund rate, most customers (especially for $2 games) likely don't bother. I have no experience with the refund program, but if refunds can be refused, well I don't need to explain. 244800+ resolved support tickets: if support tells the customer to get lost, that's a resolved ticket too. Also, we don't know how many unresolved support tickets there are. So this number is meaningless.

Still, interesting. Actually the fact GOG is sharing this is more interesting than the numbers themselves.

Edit: Adjusted text for user buying habits. The buying habits are not skewed, it's just not representative of user interest.
Post edited April 27, 2021 by W3irdN3rd
high rated
Happy to support the DRM free initiative with my wallet.
Post edited April 27, 2021 by Jaujon
Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete is still the best product on GOG.com

P.S. NO, it is not subjective opinion and NO, your favourite game is not even close!
high rated
toxicTom: That has been explained over and over. GOG would have to implement an age verification system - and the fracking Germans won't do with "Yes, I'm 18" - it's horribly complicated. That's why Steam has blocked all those games in Germany, something GOG simply doesn't want to do.
Funny that you should mention the lack of a proper age verification system on GOG, because I was just wondering where they pulled the statistics about the average age range of their users from. ;)
GOG.com: Net revenue: +114%
New user registrations: +392%
See, gog: I told you that releasing Grimoire would pay off for you guys! :-D
VASLAD: Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete is still the best product on GOG.com

P.S. NO, it is not subjective opinion and NO, your favourite game is not even close!
HoMM II is actually better. So there.